Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why have we had NO punt return game for the last 2 years?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,324

Why have we had NO punt return game for the last 2 years?

Nov 7, 2012, 12:05 PM

It's being a little picky but it is not like we ever even come close to blocking punts, and we are often in a bad position to defend against a fake punt (was SURE Va Tech was going to do it to us), yet we cannot ever seem to contain the gunners, so we always fair catch or let the ball be downed. Adam is doing better than Nuk did, but we should work on this area for our next few games... gotta have something to work on improving and it seems BV has the D playing WAY better. GO TIGERS, WIN OUT BABY!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always got nervous when we put in our star at Punt Return

Nov 7, 2012, 12:07 PM

e.g. Spiller.

Id rather have a mediocre return game and keep our stars healthy.

If we ever get non essential player that can dominate the return game like a CB with killer speed, I say go for it. Otherwise, if anyone gets close, Sammy/Nuke shouldn't risk it and wave that fair catch hand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO Lack of punt returns is by design

Nov 7, 2012, 12:08 PM

By calling for a fair catch, we are eliminating some risk and giving the ball to our offense that scores 40 a game. We are also not going for blocks because we don't want to take the chance of a roughing penalty that would leave the defense on the field.

Big returns usually occur when a team is pinned back and is

Nov 7, 2012, 12:14 PM

trying to boom the kick. This season, they are punting the ball to pin us back after a couple of 1st downs.

I haven't done the research

Nov 7, 2012, 12:17 PM

but starting with the GA Tech game, I seem to remember us catching a lot of punts between our 30 and the 50. We have had a lot of good field position lately. Again, just my memory and haven't looked at the numbers to prove it.

Not trying to be smart...

Nov 7, 2012, 12:21 PM

But with the prolific offense we have had, there is no way I want my ST risking a roughing the kicker call, muffed punt, fumble, offsides etc when I can make sure I get the ball and march down the field taking time off the clock and putting points on the board.

It's a conspiracy

Nov 7, 2012, 12:30 PM

The farther back we're pinned in our own territory, the more chances Boyd will have to drop long bombs to Nuk and Sammy. It's a ruse to get their stats up. ;)

Because our offense moves the ball so well i think the

Nov 7, 2012, 1:28 PM

coaches just want to have someone out there that can be sure to catch the ball first and hold on second. Moving the ball up field would only be a bonus. We're usually going to move the ball on offense so sure hands is the main thing.

Re: Because our offense moves the ball so well i think the

Nov 7, 2012, 2:07 PM

I agree with all of these replies, but you know that Duke had like the second worst punt return defense in the country and we still showed no real ability to stop the gunners... I just wonder if we had to play a team with a really good D (maybe Md, USC, bowl opponent, etc.) if being able to break one for better field position or to actually SCORE if needed whether or not we would be able to do it. As long as the O line provides Tajh some time I am not worried about us getting ours, and if the D line continues to stop the run and get pressure we should win out and end the year in the top 5 (yep, I went there)... but JUST IN CASE WE HAVE AN OFF NIGHT I would feel better if we had a semblance of a return game.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,324
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic