Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why has the OL taken such a big step back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Why has the OL taken such a big step back?

Sep 19, 2014, 1:30 PM

I'm very worried about the OL holding up tomorrow.

Let's face it, they absolutely stunk in the second half vs. UGA. Plain awful.

What gives? Were Shatley and Thomas that good? Will getting Beasley back help much?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

b/c their in pass protection?

Sep 19, 2014, 1:31 PM

cha ching

;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: b/c their in pass protection?

Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM

Their what in pass protection?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why has the OL taken such a big step back?

Sep 19, 2014, 1:32 PM

I'd say it's about the same as last year's.

Sep 19, 2014, 1:37 PM

much worse

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 2:18 PM

Tajh got the ball out much faster than Cole.

Not true

Sep 19, 2014, 2:23 PM

Boyd was the king of locking on, holding the ball and then running into a guard.

Re: Not true

Sep 19, 2014, 2:27 PM

Jake Fruhmorgen cant get here fast enough, he is the monster at right tackle we have been waiting for. We might even be able to execute a jet sweep if he steals the job as a frosh.

crossing fingers.

It will be interesting

Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM

I think Hyatt and Fruhmorgen both get a shot at RT next year. Hyatt is a little small for the position but it's going to be hard to keep him off the field.

Re: It will be interesting

Sep 19, 2014, 2:36 PM

I like both these guys, although I figure Hyatt as a redshirt and a replacement for battle at left tackle in '16. They, along with Cain are the reason why this class is so highly regarded. Briscoe, Chad Smith, and Ferell are icing on the cake.

I really like this bunch.

Re: Not true

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Not true ]

That locked on throw to Sammy in the Syracuse game came out pretty quick and Tajh got hammered throwing it. Cole throws that ball 0/10 times.

Boyd was best throwing to the primary

Sep 19, 2014, 2:33 PM

After that he was lost. That's why he is struggling in the pros.

Re: Boyd was best throwing to the primary

Sep 19, 2014, 2:37 PM

Irrelevant. Stoudt struggles getting the ball out the the primary unless it is a screen or he makes the primary a RB.

Have you ever considered

Sep 19, 2014, 2:38 PM

Boyd had better primary receivers? I don't see any sure fire first round talents like Nuk of Sammy. Cole actually has to go through his reads.

Re: Have you ever considered

Sep 19, 2014, 2:43 PM

If we are going to cry about WR talent at WR U then what argument are we making really. The WRs are responsible for most of Stoudt's yardage as it is.

Who is the primary receiver

Sep 19, 2014, 2:47 PM

Is he better than Nuk or Sammy? Boyd forced the ball to the primary, which always go him in trouble in big games where the other team actually had someone that could cover the primary. Even in the LSU game he forced an almost impossible pass into Nuk while Humphries stood wide open on the other side of the field.

Re: Who is the primary receiver

Sep 19, 2014, 2:57 PM

At least he threw the ball downfield at all. How much worse does Mike Williams have to be than Nuk or Charon Peake/ Artavis Scott than Sammy before we expect no risks taken downfield? So if they aren't a first round lock we hold onto the ball? I'd be surprised if any more than 5 schools wouldn't switch our 2 deep at WR in a heartbeat. UGA proved they couldn't cover Beiber songs in the SCAR game. Fans are griping about the OL but where is the outrage over our passing game. This wasn't meant to be a discussion about Boyd's pros and cons only that he got rid of the ball quick and made our OL look better than it was while Cole holds onto the ball and makes our OL look worse than it is.

To throw it deep

Sep 19, 2014, 3:21 PM

You have to hold on to the ball. If anything, Cole goes to his second read too quickly. Boyd was good at standing in the pocket, staying on the primary route, and waiting for it to open up. The problems for Boyd started when the route didn't open up. He would either force it, throw it out of bounds, or try and tuck it and run up the middle. Mike Williams dropped 3 passes in the UGA game, Peake was playing his first game after blowing a knee, and Scott was playing his first game ever, throw in the fact the Cole was also starting his first game and maybe, just possibly, the gameplan was a little conservative because we didn't know what the WR were going to look like in an actual game.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

Re: To throw it deep

Sep 19, 2014, 3:29 PM

Mike dropped 2 passes. I could be wrong but I don't see Cole throw a lot of balls to guys that haven't broken off their routes yet or before they are open. The safety read Cole's eyes all the way and made a play on the ball on Mike's second drop. Hard to explain your WR and youth argument when the coaches trusted DW to come in and air it out to those same receivers.

Trusted him on a few drives

Sep 19, 2014, 3:32 PM

It's obvious that the goal was to not make mistakes and hope that our experienced defense could win the game for us. The offense had a bunch of players either starting or playing their first game. The defense returned almost everyone. Before we start saying what Cole can and cant do, maybe we should have a sample size of more than just 1 game on the road against Georgia.

Re: Trusted him on a few drives

Sep 19, 2014, 3:37 PM

I would rest easier if similar issues didn't present themselves versus SC ST and our season didn't come down to our next game. I didn't really even want to turn this into a Cole vs DW argument. Just wanted to point out that I thought the OL effort was about the same as last year's just that the difference in QBs from this year and last makes it seem much worse. Though people were pretty unhappy with it last year.

Or maybe it's a difference in our two tackles?

Sep 19, 2014, 3:41 PM

One of whom hadn't started a game at left tackle and the other one hadn't started a game period. Do you think starting two new tackles and a guard that had never started a game, against Georgia, on the road, may have caused some issues?

Re: Or maybe it's a difference in our two tackles?

Sep 19, 2014, 3:55 PM

I guess it could have been. Chad sure didn't seem to mind trusting them in the first half though. Two trips into the redzone and only 1 passing attempt but still came out with two TDs.

Sounds like a conservative game plan to me

Sep 19, 2014, 4:09 PM

Run blocking is much easier than pass blocking in terms of technique and offensive line cohesion. Once Georgia stopped the run and started winning the field position battle they started isolating our tackles and beating them. Let's not pretend that Gore wouldn't be our 4th choice at RT without injuries and transfers.

Re: Sounds like a conservative game plan to me

Sep 19, 2014, 4:15 PM

Anthony was not starting over Gore at any point. Said as much immediately after the spring game. Same OL is on the field for DW's almost 17 yards per attempt as Cole's 7. I'm not saying the OL is great or anything. Just that I think it is playing at about the same level as last year. Norton's regression might put it behind but you said much worse.

So Battle and Gore is better than

Sep 19, 2014, 5:57 PM

Thomas and Battle. I don't buy that. Without injuries the depth cahrt at RT is Timothy and DeStephano.

Re: So Battle and Gore is better than

Sep 19, 2014, 6:27 PM

Didn't say better. Without injuries I see Battle and Timothy. But I don't see Timothy as a noticeable upgrade over gore.

Sep 19, 2014, 1:37 PM

they definitely were not ready for UGA, I do not think Gore even knew the plays.

I would have to guess they will be greatly improved in this game.

Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM

You would like to think that but I thought they were terrible vs SC State...they were getting pressure a bunch with 3 guys sometimes...I think this is the one position that is holding us back and hopefully these younger guys pan out or someone steps up this year. Maybe Beasley was a bigger deal than we thought...hopefully is that case.

Jan 1, 2022, 10:14 AM

they looked better in the second half against SC State. Right tackle is a huge concern.

I would like to see Davis move out there

Sep 19, 2014, 2:11 PM

We have several options at guard, we have nothing at tackle. I'm not sold on Gore.

Re: I would like to see Davis move out there

Sep 19, 2014, 2:17 PM

I agree 1010%

good question

Sep 19, 2014, 2:02 PM

a better question may be: Why are we paying these coaches top dollar to not produce an offensive line? Swinney has never had a good offensive line

I guess We can also ask why the coaches did not have the team ready to play against Georgia. The entire team quit in the 4th quarter. That is simply a coaching issue.
Looked like the Fla State and SC games from last year.

These coaches allow these lapses too often. Especially if you are playing on national TV It is embarrassing.

It seems to me that a coach that can't recruit solid linemen should not be coaching in division 1 football.

Personally, I am not impressed by beating LSU. We are being physically dominated in our own neck of the woods. GA, SC, Fla State. Why is that. What happened to the teams conditioning in that last quarter against Georgia?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just wondering

Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM

Are you also not impressed by beating UGA and OSU last year?

Were you not impressed with UGA at halftime when we were tied?

Clemson

Re: Just wondering. Some wins are better than others

Sep 19, 2014, 5:51 PM

sure, any win is a good win.
I'm sure you understand my feelings on this---may not agree

I live in SC and have to listen to chicken supporters all day long. And amazing how many Florida State supporters.
And these two teams are not just beating us---they are physically dominating us. Pushing us all over the field.
It's a total embarrassment on national TV.

I'm tire of listening to Swinney crow about 10 wins. Hell we should get 6 or 8 by just showing us with how the ACC is so weak.

If he can't get linemen---he is no division 1 coach. In the 4th quarter of the Georgia game is was obvious that we were going to be trampled. The guys were not in shape.
That's batson's job in the summer.

I'm sick of Batson and Swinney is beginning to sound like Obama talking about ISIS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty simple

Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM

LT Thomas
RT Battle

is better than

LT Battle
RT Gore

To be fair though, RT has been addressed several times, but each time something weird happens.

Destephano - Retired b/c of shoulder issues
Timothy - Retired b/c of knee issues
Anthony - Transferred b/c of head issues

Sep 19, 2014, 2:08 PM

It simply may be that they just aren't that good. Battle and Gore are both about 35 pounds under their effective playing weights. I really can't think of a standout on the OL. FSU overwhelmed them last year.

Sep 19, 2014, 2:17 PM

Gore's problem isn't his weight, it's his footwork.

I was really excited when we got Caldwell

Sep 19, 2014, 2:14 PM

because he had a reputation as a great OL coach. He seemed to take sub-par talent at Vandy and make good OL out of them, so I was hoping that even though we had not recruited well in the past at OL that he would be a difference maker in developing a good OL, but that has not happened. He has not met my expectations to say the least. I am glad that we have addressed the OL through recruiting because addressing bad OL talent with coaching is not working.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The OL steps backwards to make a pocket.

Sep 19, 2014, 2:48 PM

hth.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic