Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Legacies should be preferred walk-ons instead of greyshirts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,460

Legacies should be preferred walk-ons instead of greyshirts

Jan 8, 2015, 4:49 PM

if they aren't the caliber of talent of the other guys on the team. No one really has a problem having legacies on the roster. The problem is that with them being grey shirts, they will still count against the 85 scholarships the team has available each year once they've sat out that 1st year. All the legacies have parents with money (I'm sure some of those who are employees of the athletic dept make around 6 figures). Their kids shouldn't be gifted 1 (2 if you have twins) of those precious 85 scholarships. If you take away 3 or 4 scholarships from a school every year, it can be crippling to a program. That's why it's one of the more stiff punishment dished out by the NCAA.

It would be better if the school had a separate fund for the children of employees or former players where the kids can be members of the team and have their school paid for without taking up the 85 football scholarships available each year. Similar to the Army paying for DRod.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize that if a University could ahve a program

Jan 8, 2015, 4:53 PM

would pay their kids to go to school,play sports and not count against the limit, you'd have MASSIVE fraud.

LOL Nothing wrong with these so called legacy scholarships, I put trust in the staff,moreso than pople just complaining with no clue.

Re: You do realize that if a University could ahve a program

Jan 8, 2015, 5:01 PM

Actually a lot of schools do have tuition assistance for faculty members children. I believe it has been discussed before that this is a major reason why faculty leave Clemson for other universities that offer similar programs. Of course that is for all faculty not just athletic coaches. Would be interesting to see if other Universities use this for similar purpose in athletics.

null

Re: Legacies should be preferred walk-ons instead of greyshirts

Jan 8, 2015, 4:55 PM

may be hard to sell them on the whole tackling dummy idea.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a short sighted way to live life....

Jan 8, 2015, 5:01 PM

What do you think the impression is this leaves on recruits when we are selling our program as a family? We not only talk the talk we show it by the actions we display. How often do you think this even happens? For every "burned" scholarship you say we have the net result is many more come in by this example. People like you will never be able to see the forrest throughout the trees, good luck to you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don't we wait a couple years and see how they

Jan 8, 2015, 5:14 PM

play. They just might end up being pretty good. When you look on Rivals and Clemson is #4, seems to me Dabo knows what he's doing with bringing in players.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,460
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic