Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does this not get mentioned?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Why does this not get mentioned?

Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 AM

Since it appears football seasons have now gone from 13 games down to 1, I guess people can only point out negative. Maybe it is just Chicken fans, I don't know. Anyway, my point is this. For all of the focus on the recent games against USC, why does nobody point out that in the last 3 years against Auburn, VT, LSU, and UGA (6 of those 7 were ranked at the time of the game, and I guess fairly reputable football programs), Clemson is 7-0? People act as though we are 2-10, not 10-2. We used to talk about Music City or Champs Sports and if we could somehow sneak into the final top-25, now we talk about Orange or Chick-Fil-A and how we can finish in the top 5 or 6. Also, the measuring stick is not USC, it is easily FSU. Those are the guys to recruit against and catch. I want us to win championships, get in the playoffs, etc. That is who we have to step up and catch. And while we didn't this year, let's go to South Florida, win on the big stage, add a 3rd Orange Bowl trophy to the case and keep getting better!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree wholeheartedly ...

Dec 9, 2013, 9:02 AM

but we still need to focus on and beat scar. You can't eliminate them from the 'measurement' for recruiting and the win/loss record.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No he's right, get to where we beat FSU @ least

Dec 9, 2013, 9:09 AM

every other year when it's a home game and we beat the Coots 5 out of 6 times. FSU is the measuring stick, not a rival with a streak.

beating scar 5 out of 6 times is a pretty unrealistic goal

Dec 9, 2013, 10:05 AM

I would set it at 3 out of 5.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier's first act as usuc coach was to take the focus off

Dec 9, 2013, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Agree wholeheartedly ... ]

of beating Clemson, and just make them a good team.

The more we focus on beating them, the more it becomes a mental thing and we're more likely to screw it up. That's what we did this yr.

The players just need to play football at a high level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And after failing to win the SEC,it's all he focus' on.

Dec 9, 2013, 10:31 AM

The Coots , just like their coach have to hang on to the Rival game as their greatest moments at that school, Dabo and Boyd are walking in High Cotton as my grandfather would have said. During his FSU tenure , BB had a losing record against Florida 17–18–1 record against the Gators and Manning never beat Florida. While we as fans love to(almost have to)beat the rival, it doesn't matter once you leave the state.

From interviews with USuCk's coaches pre Clemson game

Dec 9, 2013, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Spurrier's first act as usuc coach was to take the focus off ]

It sounded like they were the MOST focused they'd been all season. They still take the game very seriously. Maybe that's what the coaches would like you to think with the Ol ball sack's coach speak...but he still desperately wants a win over the tigers. He knows that will appease their simple minded fans...

it more simple. it is the bcs. it is the rules

Dec 9, 2013, 9:10 AM

Football plays by. You either buy in or you don't. If you do, move on. If you don't and don't believe Clemson shouldn't be in the orange then you also don't beehive fsu and auburn should be in the NC. The selections are based off the BCS rankings and rules. It changes next year so we will all have a new set of prejudice rules to cry about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

LOL!! I like your idea of beehiving FSU. Who wants to

Dec 9, 2013, 10:43 AM

volunteer next year to climb the ladder to Jadeivis Winston's dorm room and drop the really angry wasps' nest through the window? :)

good luck, but people start with premises such as, "dabo

Dec 9, 2013, 9:12 AM

sucks" then look for anything to support it. they're going to try and pawn that off as critical thought. that's absurd.

it's also as absurd imo to dismiss the 2 losses because clemson has 10 wins & we're better than when tommy was rallying the troops.

clemson still shows victor-victoria tendencies. no, they didn't pull a hammy against a tennessee, but they performed rather #### poorly at home on gameday & against their "rival" with huge implications riding. for the 2nd year running, i think people have fair footing in suggesting dabo and this staff got flat out coached in both scar games; both very winnable. you can't just auburn, vpi and fsu 2 years ago that away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so how did he get outcoached in scar game ... it was all

Dec 9, 2013, 10:03 AM

about the turnovers

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

been hashed & rehashed, not going to rewrite it for you.

Dec 9, 2013, 10:05 AM

if you don't agree, that's ok too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

guess we will agree to disagree. If we don't turn the ball

Dec 9, 2013, 10:07 AM

over that score is probably reversed.

idc, but you can't if it away.***

Dec 9, 2013, 10:08 AM

I totally agree. I'm just saying Dabo wasn't "outcoached"***

Dec 9, 2013, 10:09 AM

4 of the 5 he has been though***

Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 AM

yes he & his staff were, again. we were going to agree

Dec 9, 2013, 10:14 AM [ in reply to I totally agree. I'm just saying Dabo wasn't "outcoached"*** ]

to disagree?, your words not mine... at least one of us tried to make it work.

Ha .. I didn't know that was a continuation. Oh well.***

Dec 9, 2013, 10:19 AM

haha, i know you didn't citadel or you wouldn't have written

Dec 9, 2013, 10:30 AM

Dabo wasn't "outcoached".

enough already, go tigers.

another opportunity for dabo to further the program. looking forward to it.

Re: I totally agree. I'm just saying Dabo wasn't "outcoached"***

Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 AM [ in reply to I totally agree. I'm just saying Dabo wasn't "outcoached"*** ]

I agree with you re: turnovers, and I told my brother, a coot grad, the same thing before the game. Turnovers have killed us against them in recent years. The next day, my bro texted me and said "you were right, turnovers were the difference". I don't believe in moral victories but if I were SC I'd consider it a moral defeat, excepting the final score, of course. That's all that matters, so it's pointless to play the "what if" game.

On the other hand, I believe we were out coached. I haven't seen the game, I was stuck "watching" it on one of those game tracker programs on the Internet. From what I could gather, it seems we didn't run the ball enough. It looked like we'd get a yard or 2 on a couple of plays, then break a long one for 15. With a new set of downs we'd gain a yard or 2 on one play and throw incompletions on the other 2. My limited "feel" for the game had me thinking we could have run the ball until it quit working, which would have opened up the passing game and helped Tajh not to press so much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not going to agree to disagree!

Dec 9, 2013, 10:33 AM [ in reply to been hashed & rehashed, not going to rewrite it for you. ]

;)

I still don't understand the argument that coaching caused the turnovers. Apparently it's on the brink of costing me a friendship too because I won't agree to a friend of mine's thoughts.

Turnovers are on the individual both on offense and defense, not on the coach IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If we had a decent S&C coach, our grip on the ball

Dec 9, 2013, 10:35 AM

would've been stronger.

null

Resisting.....urge...to....reply....with....inappropriate...

Dec 9, 2013, 1:39 PM

comment.

Not

ready

for

a

trip

to

Jamaica.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Are you serious, Clark?

Dec 10, 2013, 10:42 AM [ in reply to If we had a decent S&C coach, our grip on the ball ]

You speak as though what you are saying is fact, when it is only your opinion.

Fumbles will happen regardless of the strength of the player carrying the ball -- especially if there are several players tackling/stripping the ball carrier.

But of course, that's just my opinion... and basic physics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Re: Are you serious, Clark?

Dec 10, 2013, 10:44 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14773825

ok, i see you surround youself with smarter people as does

Dec 9, 2013, 10:38 AM [ in reply to I'm not going to agree to disagree! ]

gwp.

;)

I ensure all my friends are members of the Prometheus

Dec 9, 2013, 10:40 AM

Society...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh boy, the S&C argument

Dec 9, 2013, 1:04 PM

That's literally the vaguest position to throw under the bus when you can't figure out where to point the finger. Ball security is a position coach's job and a coordinator/HC's job to monitor. I don't think Joey Batson needs to be out on the field coaching punt returns. Ball security is an issue for us - a team like SCar coaches players up on stripping the ball and holding on to the ball - we need to work on it. I don't think bigger muscles translates to ball security, just ask Rendrick Taylor (who fumbled every carry if you don't recall)

psst...

Dec 9, 2013, 1:10 PM

he was just messing around; he wasn't playing for blood.

i know it's hard to tell with that coot sometimes.

;)

I think he needs to learn how to properly reply as well***

Dec 9, 2013, 1:25 PM

yeah, but i didn't want to pile on...

Dec 9, 2013, 1:33 PM

i'm not lunge worthy; it's a shortcoming.

Re: Why does this not get mentioned?

Dec 9, 2013, 10:22 AM

I'm somewhere in the middle of both extremes.

I think 10-2 with a Orange Bowl bid is a good season. It obviously could have been great had we beaten FSU and SCAR.

In the same breath, I'm not sure how winning games last year and in 2011 is relevant - or takes any of the sting away from the two big losses this year.

Dec 9, 2013, 10:55 AM

I'll tell you why. Some people live in the past while others look to the future. I say GO TIGERS!!!!

Re:Let's admit

Dec 9, 2013, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does this not get mentioned? ]

We got outplayed & outcoached by 2 very good football teams. Why can't we admit that & move on!

Because

Dec 10, 2013, 3:40 PM

We got beat by ONE very good team and one decent team. USuC is a quality team but falls WAY below the level they have been the previous few years. We blew a great opportunity to beat a team that we should beat 75% of the time. That's one (but not all) reason this year's loss really stings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2013, 10:56 AM

with playoff next yr, it will be required to beat SC not as it has been in the past. We could easily get into the bcs without beating c00ts ! Was meaningless on the national scene and only the c00ts only goal they could ever reach !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jedi - serious question

Dec 9, 2013, 11:55 AM

Since coaches hold practices so they can "coach" and fumble drills, stripping drills, route running, reading defenses and passing are all things that go on in practice, how can you not attribute turnovers to coaching?

I know the player was the one who actually turned the ball over but if you're gonna blame the player solely for the turnover then wouldn't every mistake a player makes be "on the player" and not due to coaching?

If a receiver runs the wrong route could it be he wasn't coached properly or is it all the receiver's fault?

If a lineman jumps offisides does that have anything to do with coaching? If a DB gets a pass interference call is there any coaching responsibility? Poor tackling....player's fault or poor coaching?

The point is every mistake a player makes can be attributed to coaching because it is the coach's responsibility to make sure mistakes aren't made. Even if something has been practiced 100 times and the mistake is still made then either it should have been practiced more or the coach has made a mistake putting that player on the field in a position to make the mistake.

Re: Jedi - serious question

Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM

I don't deny that coaching can be an issue with respect to turnovers. It's the coaches' job to get the guys mentally ready for games, and turnover problems are primarily a matter of focus, IMO. The coaches can do only so much when it comes to the way individuals perform, and sometimes it's all the fault of the guy who dropped it or threw it to the wrong guy. My complaint isn't necessarily about the coaching related ball security, it's that the coaches could have compensated for some of the turnovers through play calling.

I don't recall how many INTs Boyd had, but I think he threw 2 late in the game. With a run game that was working, there was no need to back ourselves into a corner where making risky passes was necessary. I believe that better play calling throughout the game would have put us in an increasingly better position as the game wore on, and Boyd wouldn't have had to play from behind. While he has had some good performances against good teams when the going was tough (LSU last year), playing from behind hasn't historically been his strong suit. This has been especially true against SC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Championships begin with scholarships! :)***

Dec 10, 2013, 10:55 AM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic