Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wanted to give kudos to blm
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 681

I wanted to give kudos to blm

Sep 24, 2020, 12:00 PM

for deleting the section on dismantling the nuclear family in America from their purpose statement. Their approval ratings have plummeted approximately 15 points in two months per a Pew Research poll.
Nothing like poll numbers to change Dems rhetoric. ??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn’t it seem appropriate that a “journalist”

Sep 24, 2020, 12:11 PM

would ask a BLM spokesperson about a fundamental change to their mission statement? Did they never actually believe that, or have their beliefs evolved?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Not here to defend whoever wrote BLM's website...

Sep 24, 2020, 12:26 PM

But it didn't say "dismantling the nuclear family."

It said: "We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and ‘villages’ that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

I don't know exactly what that's supposed to mean. Kinda sounds like "it takes a village." It doesn't sound like "dismantle the nuclear family." But again, not defending it, because I have no idea what it means.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not here to defend whoever wrote BLM's website...

Sep 24, 2020, 12:33 PM

Ok. Disrupt. What does disrupt mean?

Disrupt the

Sep 24, 2020, 12:41 PM

"Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement"

It just sounds to me like the point is to recognize that some people don't come from nuclear family structures and that it doesn't make them broken. And to support them by letting the community fills the roles of the missing family members.

I've actually always been a little surprised that that was the bit from their website people were flipping out over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disrupt the

Sep 24, 2020, 2:16 PM

Then why do they say disrupt the nuclear family. ? They could just say make people aware that the nuclear family is not the only........ nice scramble for a way to defend blm.

And if they’ve taken down their entire What we believe page, I don’t think it’s because they’ve changed their mind. The decline in their poll numbers is the reason. Which was my original point.

You can't leave off the words structure requirement

Sep 24, 2020, 2:40 PM

as if they don't exist.

Did you ever diagram a sentence?

Message was edited by: FordPrefect®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Disrupt the ]

Boat,

1. They did NOT say "disrupt the nuclear family" they said, _disrupt the buclear family requirement" Those are two different things.

2. Perhaps they have taken down the What We Believe section because so many people seemed to be misinterpreting it. I would imagine that they are rewording it to try to make it more clear and user friendly.

Sep 24, 2020, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Disrupt the ]

Seems it was an effort by some/many to justify the 'status quo'.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

read slowly

Sep 24, 2020, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Not here to defend whoever wrote BLM's website... ]

"We DISRUPT the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure REQUIREMENT"

family isn't the object, requirement is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: read slowly

Sep 24, 2020, 12:56 PM

you know I'm not a defender of BLM by any stretch...

Sep 24, 2020, 1:02 PM

I think the "Western-prescribed nuclear family structure" is the ideal because I think it is built on the biblical model.

I also realize that that currently exists in maybe 50% of our homes in the world. I believe it is our jobs as Christians to be family to the fatherless - the orphans.

There are plenty of things I disagree with BLM. There are things that they support that I believe actually does damage to the biblical model of the family.

But if I'm going to read the statement we are arguing about honestly, I have to admit that what they are disrupting is the idea that a family has to look like a "Western-prescribed nuclear family structure." That is what the statement says. "Disrupt" is the verb (regardless of it's meaning) and "requirement" is the object.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you know I'm not a defender of BLM by any stretch...

Sep 24, 2020, 1:11 PM

Sep 24, 2020, 1:16 PM

yep...this is one of those cases where I read it that they wanted to destroy the family when I first read it. Reading that statement over several times now, I can admit that I read it wrong. Not because I'm trying to make fans, but because I have to be intellectually honest with myself. That's all that matters.

Now, I can make a judgment as to whether BLM stands for things that are destructive to the "Western-prescribed nuclear family structure" by other ideas they support....but now the entire page of "What We Believe" has been taken down apparently so I cannot site those statements to you.

Much of it is their equating sexual orientation and gender roles to race.

Sep 24, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: you know I'm not a defender of BLM by any stretch... ]

T3,

Perhaps you are right and perhaps that is why they have taken it down for now. Perhaps they are revising it to more accurately reflect their position.

Great point. I also failed to read it correctly.***

Sep 24, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to read slowly ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: read slowly***

Sep 24, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to read slowly ]

Sep 24, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to read slowly ]

Nice addition of the caps. Did blm approve of your editing?

Sep 24, 2020, 2:27 PM

You realize the words are the same whether they're in caps or not? I feel dumber for having explained that out loud.

I was just highlighting the verb and object of the sentence***

Sep 24, 2020, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: read slowly ]

The "family structure requirement"

Sep 24, 2020, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Not here to defend whoever wrote BLM's website... ]

being rejected sounds like an attempt to help people who don't come from traditional nuclear families, i.e. single moms with kids, not feel that they are judged as being less than. The rest of it, best guess, suggests that to the extent those folks are okay with it, the movement wants to support those families, which I would assume would be in an attempt to help the kids do better in life both by making them feel worthwhile despite their disadvantages and in trying to replace the roles of missing family members with the community as a whole.

Re: The "family structure requirement"

Sep 24, 2020, 12:43 PM

What's odd about that is the lack of a father around is a huge prob for too many black people. Way too many irresponsible people having kids. Too many baby's mommas. JMO

Sep 24, 2020, 3:19 PM

Carlsbad - way too many irresponsible people having kids

I think you could say that about a large number of ethnic groups, including whites.

As a public school teacher, i can tell you that having a two parent home does NOT guarantee that the kids are getting a supportive upbringing.

Sep 24, 2020, 3:46 PM

I agree, but it's very common among poor black neighborhoods. Black teens and Hispanic teens are more than two times higher to become pregnant than white teens.

Sep 24, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to The "family structure requirement" ]

We have certainly trivialized the concept of marriage

Sep 24, 2020, 12:56 PM

Remember when Gary Hart screwed around and barely got caught and it completely ruined his chances to be President? Or when Clinton almost got impeached for a blow job? Or when what's his name in NC got run out of the democratic primary because of an affair? Or the negative effect Newt's affair had on his political career?

And now we have a three time divorced serial cheater in the office of the President who not only admitted being a serial cheater on numerous radio broadcasts, he bragged about being able to sexually assault women whenever he wanted, while he was married, and he actually paid off more than one woman he cheated with for her silence...

ALL of which happened BEFORE he even got the nomination from the party of traditional family values.

So yeah, I'd say the gays have definitely ruined marriage.

Who said anything about gays?

Sep 24, 2020, 1:06 PM

yeah, you can really see the connection he's got with

Sep 24, 2020, 2:41 PM

Melania. Man, they are like lovebirds when they are in public.

"dismantling" is one of those power words...

Sep 24, 2020, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Not here to defend whoever wrote BLM's website... ]

that emotionally charges things.

But you are correct about the idea of dismantling the family.

I believe they were saying that they reject the fact that a family has to be like a "Western-prescribed nuclear family" to be a family. This, I agree with.

I just think it is a poor choice of words, much like "defund the police." I get the idea, it just doesn't fulfill the purpse it intended - I think.

Wish I could give this 10 thumbs up***

Sep 24, 2020, 12:42 PM

or "disrupt" lol...

Sep 24, 2020, 12:54 PM

same is true for that word.

Re: "dismantling" is one of those power words...

Sep 24, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to "dismantling" is one of those power words... ]

Defund the police was the worst slogan. I agree.

Re: "dismantling" is one of those power words...

Sep 24, 2020, 3:23 PM [ in reply to "dismantling" is one of those power words... ]

franc,

Yeah, my liberal friends really suck at labeling an idea (dismantling and defunding).

I want to thank everyone on this thread for trying to look past those labels towards the actual intent.

Maybe we CAN all talk our way through the polarized mess in this country.

Translation

Sep 24, 2020, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Not here to defend whoever wrote BLM's website... ]

Western = whitey

Nuclear = dad is around

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Translation

Sep 24, 2020, 1:46 PM

We agree.

Why does the left continue to deny science?

Sep 24, 2020, 1:49 PM

Study after study has been done in this and the findings always come back that having both a mother and father present is critical in child development

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when is the right going to figure out that the perfect

Sep 24, 2020, 2:39 PM

leave it to beaver family isn't always possible. and 2 parents of any gender are better than one or none.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: when is the right going to figure out that the perfect

Sep 25, 2020, 6:54 AM

When is the left going to figure out the concept of worrying about your own family. Not others

Re: Why does the left continue to deny science?

Sep 24, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Why does the left continue to deny science? ]

clemchem,

Links please.

Replies: 38
| visibility 681
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic