Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does everyone still continue to treat ND like
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,018

Why does everyone still continue to treat ND like

Jul 27, 2020, 10:42 AM

it's 1945?

Sure they have 11 Titles. Can you name the last time they won one--possibly, it was 1988 with Lou Holtz.

What about the last time before that?

These teams have as many titles as ND since 1978:
- UGA
- BYU
- GT
- Colorado
- Michigan
- Tennessee
- USC
- Texas
- Auburn

These teams have multiple since 1978:
- FSU
- Clemson
- Bama
- Miami
- Penn St
- Oklahoma
- Nebraska
- Florida
- LSU
- OSU

I get they were a big deal once upon a time. Knute Rockne, The Gipper, The Four Horsemen--that's great but it all predates COLOR TV. You know who else was dominant before color TV?

Pitt won 8 before 1940, Minnesota won 6 before 1942, Michigan St won 6 before 1967, Cal won 5 before 1938, Illinois won 5 before 1952, Iowa won 5 before 1962. At some point, you don't have any equity for stuff that happened almost 100 years ago.

What hast he program done in the last 60 years that justifies the special treatment? I really hope the ACC doesn't acquiesce to the hollow aura of Irish Football and uses the leverage they have right now to make them join up!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does everyone still continue to treat ND like

Jul 27, 2020, 10:49 AM

They are a national name with an exclusive-ish television contract with NBC and LOTS of deep pocketed alums throughout the country and world. That makes ESPN get all damp in their nethers when the Domers are semi-respectable on the football field. Kinda like the way ESPN does the Cowboys, the Yanks and Sawx, Duke basketball, and LeBronze.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My point is it's a chicken-or-egg situation?

Jul 27, 2020, 10:54 AM

Does everyone treat them so reverently because they're a "national brand" or are they a national brand because everyone treats them so reverently?

ND hasn't been nationally important in 30+ years --and yes I'm including them laying two huge eggs against Bama in the 2012 title game and Clemson in the 2018 Playoff. At any rate they don't deserve the special treatment they still get and I feel like if the powers that be stopped and looked they'd realize the emperor has no clothes!

Jul 27, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does everyone still continue to treat ND like ]

It was NBC, not ESPN, that ponied up to pay for ND"s TV rights.

They still have their own TV contract.... that’s the reason

Jul 27, 2020, 10:51 AM

They get special treatment.

Send this letter to NBC. I’m sure they’ll drop them like a bad habit.

That's my point--that contract came in 1991 during

Jul 27, 2020, 11:00 AM

their last bout of true relevancy.

NBC is one of the guiltiest parties in what I'm talking about. They seem to think they need ND more than ND needs them (because they screwed up and don't have CFB) but they don't pull in the eyes on sets that they did historically:

(This guy ironically is writing from a pro-ND perspective on the strength of the team but he's making my point for me)

https://slapthesign.com/2018/12/13/who-is-watch-notre-dame-a-look-at-the-tv-ratings-in-2018/

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/09/nfl-cbs-ratings-notre-dame-nbc-low-mlb-espn/

The ACC should've never let them halfway in to begin with (aka their "just the tip" deal...) and now we have a chance remedy it!

Well when the TV contract goes away..

Jul 27, 2020, 7:56 PM

They will have zero leverage

Swofford is a pathetic weakling also...

Not just NBC... the bowl committee as well.

Jul 27, 2020, 12:28 PM [ in reply to They still have their own TV contract.... that’s the reason ]

Forget tv money.. if the ND lost their special bowl tie ins they would likely jump to a conference quick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nice work.

Jul 27, 2020, 11:15 AM

ND needs to be a part of the ACC football if they want to be considered as part of the ACC in football. Their membership in other sports has nothing to do with football.

Their fans will be quick to bring up $$ but quickly shut-up when you mention relevance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 12:22 PM

Perhaps I missed the announcement while I was outside today but I don’t recall reading anything official about NDs entrance into the ACC. Where has this been posted?

Nothing official (and frankly haven't seen anything implying

Jul 27, 2020, 1:16 PM

that ND actually wants to join up) but the fact that we're even having to have the conversation goes to my larger point: that they shouldn't still be in this position where they're treated like a quasi-conference by the CFB Playoff, ACC, NBC and everyone else!

Nothing official. People here are freaking out

Jul 27, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does everyone still continue to treat ND like ]

because of a Twitter post last week suggesting that ND could possibly be allowed to play for an ACC championship in football this year.

I don't see why the ACC would allow this, unless ND is an ACC member in football.

Otherwise, the idea is about as reasonable as Clemson allowing the visiting team to run down the hill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

For the record, one of the proposals for Conf scheduling

Jul 28, 2020, 10:28 AM

involves 15 teams (the regular members + ND) playing a 10-game conference schedule with no divisions. The top two teams will play in the ACCCG. ND would be eligible this year only for an ACC Title.

Strange times...

We could know as soon as Wednesday if this is accepted.

They are still a big deal.

Jul 27, 2020, 1:40 PM

Notre Dame has the largest fan base in all of college football, and it isn't even close. They are truly a national brand, which is why they have the contract with NBC.

I agree that they shouldn't get special treatment from the ACC. I don't like that they were allowed to join the conference in everything but football. I believe it should've been all or nothing. I also hope that they won't be allowed to play for a conference championship unless they are officially a football member.

With that said, I would love to have them as a full ACC member. They have some very good sports, a great football history, and are a good school academically as well. They bring a lot to the table and would certainly boost the ACC's football reputation.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Because they'd be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference

Jul 27, 2020, 2:06 PM

and easily the largest fan base. Five 10-win seasons since 2012. Only one losing season since 2008. Who else in the ACC can say that besides us? Sure, their championships are ancient and we'll keep making fun of them for it, but they still pretty much hang out in the top 25 every year.
They're the only potential conference game we could get that the rest of the nation won't make fun of us for, thanks to FSU foolishly dumping Jimbo.

Huge brand, huge money, better strength of schedule for the whole conference. Not that hard to understand. According to Forbes, the only ACC school to crack the top 25 in NCAA football team revenue is FSU at 17th. Notre Dame is SEVENTH. I'm not happy about their halfsies conference membership in football either, but it's easy to understand. The only question is when will they join for real? I'm assuming when the NBC contract expires.

Never forget: good or bad, money rules the world.

I'd prefer ND over 10 other ACC teams

Jul 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

They're fairly consistent Top-15 team. National name brand recognition. Not the juggernauts from the late 80s, early 90s or the 40-70s, but I'd still prefer them in the ACC over Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, etc.

Jul 27, 2020, 5:24 PM

Millions of catholics in the country?

Jul 28, 2020, 10:35 AM

They are still solid. They have finished in the top 20 six of the last 8 years. Top 12 five of the last eight years. Top 5 two of the last eight. They are 33-6 over the last 3 years. They add a lot to our schedule or the ACC at this stage.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,018
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic