Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does Syracuse have a tropical fruit for a mascot?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Why does Syracuse have a tropical fruit for a mascot?

Oct 5, 2013, 7:52 AM

I'm not an arborist but I don't think orange trees can survive in the crappy climate they have in Syracuse. I do know an orange strikes fear in people about as much as a chicken does.

Or is it just an orange blob of something? Inquiring minds want to know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An orange is more intimidating than an apple!***

Oct 5, 2013, 8:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does Syracuse have a tropical fruit for a mascot?***

Oct 5, 2013, 8:11 AM

Re: original team name was orange for their school color

Oct 5, 2013, 8:14 AM

Had an indian for a mascot. Also were known as orangemen or orangewoman. PC movement happened and they dropped the indian and men or women to be gender neutral. To go back to the original source orange,they picked a cartoon orange as a mascot. Some cheerleaders named it Otto.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

So they're gender nuetral? Interesting concept.****

Oct 5, 2013, 8:20 AM

Re: can't make this stuff up

Oct 5, 2013, 8:24 AM

Guess they figured an orange wouldn't offend anyone until the orange trees get a lawyer!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Re: So they're gender nuetral? Interesting concept.****

Oct 5, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to So they're gender nuetral? Interesting concept.**** ]

I kinda been that way since I got married!

so they are like the Stanford Cardinal. Also named for

Oct 5, 2013, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: original team name was orange for their school color ]

the color.... and no reasoning whatsoever for it's Christmas Tree mascot!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Because NYC already took the 'big apple.'***

Oct 5, 2013, 8:16 AM

I do know from a Syracuse native that their name change...

Oct 5, 2013, 8:30 AM

from the Orangemen to the Orange was due to their President/Chancellor who deemed the name Orangemen as sexist and demeaning to women

Re: I do know from a Syracuse native that their name change...

Oct 5, 2013, 8:33 AM

We were the saltine warriors which we had similar mascot to FSU but the NY libs didnt like that so we swtiched to Orangemen but then again they NY libs didnt think that was PC so now were just Orange???

Well, if you have trouble with the latter, then just

Oct 5, 2013, 8:39 AM

call yourselves, "The Urnge." If disagreement arises with that, tell 'em to kiss your posteriors!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another in the endless list of reasons not to live in NY****

Oct 5, 2013, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I do know from a Syracuse native that their name change... ]

Could be worse

Oct 5, 2013, 8:56 AM

Could be a mango or a papaya

Re: Why does Syracuse have a tropical fruit for a mascot?

Oct 5, 2013, 9:48 AM

It is all about PC. Orange has been SU's official color since 1890. The team mascot was formerly the Saltine Warrior after an archaeological find of a warrior skeleton in the area. The saltine comes from local natural resources.

In 1978, Native American students successfully petitioned to discontinue the Saltine Warrior, disapproving the mascot's supposed "stereotypical portrayal" of Native Americans.

Several new mascots were tried beginning with a Roman gladiator dressed in orange armor, Fans booed the mascot. We also had the "Dome Ranger" - really dumb.

In 1990, the Chancellor planned to introduce a new mascot of a Lion but the student body supported Otto.

Its tough having a piece of fruit for a mascot. That's why just about everybody just uses Cuse.

Let's get Tropical!***

Oct 5, 2013, 10:00 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic