Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do we try to make the Coots look bad for screaming SEC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 81
| visibility 1

Why do we try to make the Coots look bad for screaming SEC?

Jun 29, 2016, 8:45 AM

When we scream ACC in both basketball and baseball?

We constantly use the ACC to say we are in the best basketball and baseball conference to try to get good recruits. We also use it when vying for good tournament position or rankings. I know that we soon will be a torchbearer in baseball and other ACC schools will ride our coattails, but we will never be dominant in basketball and will continue to ride the coattails of the big ACC basketball schools.

I know this probably seems cootish, but I am a devout Tiger that bleeds orange. I graduated from Clemson this past May and am 4th generation Tiger. I just don't understand our hypocrisy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Why do we try to make the Coots look bad for screaming SEC?

Jun 29, 2016, 8:48 AM

They need no help to look bad. They are capable all on their own

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who does that?

Jun 29, 2016, 8:55 AM

First I'm hearing of it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell does it

Jun 29, 2016, 11:38 AM

It's one of his selling points to recruits. The article that made me think of this is below.

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2016/06/28/4-star-forward-talks-skill-set-clemson-offer/

Can you not tell the difference between that and SCU fans

Jun 29, 2016, 12:38 PM

chanting SEC SEC SEC after Bama/UF?LSU win a ring?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can you not tell the difference between that and SCU fans

Jun 29, 2016, 12:54 PM

Yes I can, thanks.

Obviously you are having a problem with it...***

Jun 30, 2016, 9:16 AM

Jun 29, 2016, 8:55 AM

The coots don't claim conference affiliation simply for pride, they claim the accomplishments of the conference as their own.

I was happy Virginia won the baseball college world series last year. However, I didn't see a single Clemson fan (or any other ACC fan for that matter) claim the championship as our own. At the end of the day Virginia won the championship, not Clemson and not the ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo!***

Jun 29, 2016, 8:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

That's different than what I'm talking about

Jun 29, 2016, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do we try to make the Coots look bad for screaming SEC? ]

I'm talking more about using the ACC as a recruiting or ranking tool, not cheering for the whole ACC to win anything. I definitely didn't cheer for Duke/UNC in basketball or FSU in football.

you need to re-read your original post.....

Jun 29, 2016, 11:56 AM

backtracking is an ugly habit

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done.

Jun 29, 2016, 12:24 PM

I should've said something different than "scream," because I didn't mean that literally. Just meant it that we do loudly say it for the reasons I've already stated.

apples and oranges***

Jun 29, 2016, 12:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2016, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do we try to make the Coots look bad for screaming SEC? ]

I haven't read all of the responses so this may be a repeat of an earlier post. If Clemson or fans of other ACC schools do it, it's usually because the coots consider all ACC teams inferior to any team in the SEC. Hence, whatever their record, membership in the SEC alone makes them superior to the Tigers. Yes, for the most part, we do recognize other teams in the ACC when they accomplish something of significance but our general response is to recognize the team, not the conference.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2016, 1:23 PM

Little repeat, but still great. And thanks for not being a Richard about it like some others.

Football is responsible for 80% of TV money

Jun 29, 2016, 8:58 AM

............ No One at Clemson hangs onto the conference for Basketball or baseball.

Lol. Agreed. Didn't attend a single BB (either) game

Jun 29, 2016, 11:40 AM

While in school. I even attended soccer games. And I never missed a football game.

Who you calling we? I've never tucked my wanker in front

Jun 29, 2016, 8:59 AM

Of a mirror dancing and I've never screemed ACC .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Until we chant "ACC" at a game, your point is moot

You have to support your conference as s whole, whether you like the members or not.

But we chant C-L-E-M-S-O-N, not S-E-C or A-C-C.

Chanted ACC 1 time but was in their face 4 extra probation

Jun 29, 2016, 10:56 AM

time

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Auburn game in Atlanta.

Jun 29, 2016, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Until we chant "ACC" at a game, your point is moot ]

Also heard the same things from people who went to the LSU game. Although that is different since it is us spanking an SEC team and rubbing it in their faces, and not the coots cheering for Bama because of the SEC.

exactly. the "ACC" chants were us mocking the SEC fans for

Jun 30, 2016, 11:03 AM

their homerism. Can't you see the difference right there? We don't tout our conference and we are not hypocrites.

We used to chant "ACC" at games,

Jun 30, 2016, 7:03 AM [ in reply to Until we chant "ACC" at a game, your point is moot ]

but it was always at a game when we won the ACC, or when another game backed us in.

Because it smacks of desperation

for validation. We don't need validation due to our conference. Clemson stands alone. The only time I've heard ACC chanted sounded like mocking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They scream SEC so they can live vicariously through

Jun 29, 2016, 9:01 AM

Bama, LSU, etc., whereas most fans I believe say it to talk up the schedule. I don't think you'll find many on this board that will cheer for Duke or UNC basketball, unless there is money on it. I like being in a good conference, but don't take pride in seeing other ACC teams win, just the nasties in Orange!

Jun 29, 2016, 9:03 AM

no hypocrisy here. if you ever hear me yell acc you will have a scoop.

Re: Who is this "we" you speak of?

Jun 29, 2016, 9:04 AM

In all my years (since I was 7), I've NEVER heard that at Kingsmore or Littlejohn.....ever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Not saying we chant ACC

Jun 29, 2016, 11:55 AM

Re: Not saying we chant ACC

Jun 29, 2016, 12:23 PM

The problem is, you clearly don't understand what myself and others are saying.

Screw Calford.

YOU are a coot!

Jun 29, 2016, 9:05 AM

"We" dont scream ACC for anything. If "we" say positive things about the strength of the conference it is in response to getting SEC B$ shoved down our throats. "We" dont care how the rest ACC does until it affects us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go find David Hood......

Jun 29, 2016, 9:05 AM

....he will tell ya'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly you weren't on here after Nova bounced UNC***

Jun 29, 2016, 9:11 AM

Oh I loved that. Was watching it with a UNC buddy

Jun 29, 2016, 11:57 AM

And I rubbed it deep in his face.

##### you talkin about? Don't say "we"

Jun 29, 2016, 9:14 AM

I care about Clemson, and only Clemson. All other ACC teams can go to he!l.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

don't forget "our" or in this case, your...

Jun 29, 2016, 9:37 AM

hypocrisy.

really, dsp wishes you people would just grow up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you think

Jun 29, 2016, 9:43 AM

g-dubs-p is wearing coot shorts and a chants jersey today? if so, whats bob wearing? could be important

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

good morning, theclash and since you ask, i'm not sure...

Jun 29, 2016, 9:46 AM

of gwp or bob's choices in casual wear, but i am sure the OP is not bright enough to speak for me.

oh, and happy wednesday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good morning, theclash and since you ask, i'm not sure...

Jun 29, 2016, 9:52 AM

about the OP, that is a certainty. happy day to you

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I can confirm that I am not rooting for the Chants if that

Jun 29, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to do you think ]

helps at all. Once Clemson was eliminated I stopped paying attention to college baseball. As far as I'm concerned, USC-Coastal can lose by 20 runs. No Clemson, no care.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I can confirm that I am not rooting for the Chants if that

Jun 29, 2016, 10:12 AM

i confess - pulling for coastal. but same feeling, if it ain't tigers, i don't give a #####

Rooting for them just to pull for the little guys

Jun 29, 2016, 12:00 PM

Don't really care if they are from SC or not.

Jun 29, 2016, 9:15 AM

There is no hypocrisy when dealing with Coots, one of the most foul beasts that has ever wandered the planet. They have no soul, no morality, and no logic. They are to be dealt with accordingly. They lurch from one talking point to the other looking for ways to criticize our beloved Tigers while holding on to the fantasy that is the SEC. They refuse to realize the desolation of what used to be a relevant league. A Coot is to be reviled. GO TIGERS!

Jun 29, 2016, 9:23 AM

Another drive by coot looking to str the pot. NEVER had I chanted ACC in any sport.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2016, 12:06 PM

Lol. Drive by for 80 years... That's a slow car.

Where is this portal to your parallel universe

Jun 29, 2016, 9:23 AM

We need to close it off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

ANSWER:

Jun 29, 2016, 9:29 AM

WE Are CLEMSON..way b/4 there was a conference! WE stand & die on OUR worth & merits, since 1896!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ANSWER:

And it will be that way until Bill reaches 110!!!

Chanting for Conference

Jun 29, 2016, 9:27 AM

You have to use your conference when trying to obtain post season placement. That's why we have conferences. It is how you judge the level of competition.

What you shouldn't do(and I think mostly Clemson fans don't) is chant the letters of your conference when you beat an opponent. If we win a game, the ACC didn't participate in the win. The years when SC beat us in football, and subsequently chanted SEC, none of the other 11 or 13 members were on the field.

The worst part of chanting your conference when you win a game is that it lowers the level of your own team. The majority of the uniform features the school with a small patch that denotes your conference. I think most players would say that they play for their school not their conference.

The conference may help attract a player and may help make your team better but it isn't who you play for.

Re: Chanting for Conference

Jun 29, 2016, 9:42 AM

Bingo, Exactly!!! Clemson stands on our own with every win or loss, acc had nothing to do with either!!!

Thank you. You've got the best answer.

Jun 29, 2016, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Chanting for Conference ]

I don't know who this "we" is of whom you speak,

Jun 29, 2016, 9:27 AM

but I don't live vicariously through my conference like the Coots do. When they have championships that pit conf vs conf, then I'll cheer for the ACC. Until then, I'll cheer for my Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jun 29, 2016, 9:32 AM

See if you can understand this. I hate the coots, I hate anything resembling a cheer coming from the coots even if it is for their conference affiliation. They do play in a strong FB conference, but they haven't done much to contribute to the SEC being a dominate FB conference, and their SEC cheers are coming from the coat tails of Bama, LSU, Florida, and UGA, the main FB schools that actually earned the SEC their FB conference tuff boy Tag!!! Screw the coots and anybody that feels a need to defend them. Further more, Clemson fans as a whole has never claimed to be a part of the ACC basketball dominance, and Clemson fans know and willing admit that our basketball program has done nothing to even attempt holding onto the coat tails of Dude, UNC, or the other BB schools that has earned the Tag of the ACC being a BB conference. And not many Clemson fans give a sh!t about Basketball bc we know that we're not a part of the "strong basketball" schools. 95% of Clemson fans are more FB fans, and we don't cheer ACC as one of the top acc FB schools, our main cheer is C L E M S O (N) Gooooo Tigersss!!! There has never been acc acc acc as a part of our cheer for our Clemson Tigers. Our FB is personal to us Tiger FB fans, and acc means we are in that conference, nothing more!!!

Jun 29, 2016, 12:10 PM

Thanks, I do agree. Anytime a coot even talks I have a hard time listening.

are you high?

Jun 29, 2016, 9:35 AM

serious question

Just a little tipsy

Jun 29, 2016, 12:12 PM

Drinking wine on the river in Strasbourg.

Because we can?***

Jun 29, 2016, 9:35 AM

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Jun 29, 2016, 9:40 AM

As others have said... I don't know of many here who give a d@mn about the rest of the conference. Do we recognize that the ACC is a tough baseball and basketball conference? Of course, but I don't think anyone here lives vicariously through other teams in the ACC, as the less than esteemed school in the midlands does...

Not sure what "mouse in your pocket" means..

Jun 29, 2016, 12:14 PM

But I do agree that using the ACC's BB (both) strength is different than what the Coots do.

Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

If I say something to a coot about an ACC team winning a game over an SEC team it more about me making fun of their belief that they have virtue because they are in the SEC. It has nothing to do with me having ACC pride because I have no conference pride.

I'm a Clemson Tiger. We are in a category of one for no other compares.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are right ... very cootish post !***

Jun 29, 2016, 9:51 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are right ... very cootish post !***

Jun 29, 2016, 12:20 PM

I know. Just had to figure out how to differentiate what we do vs what the Coots do.

There you go again

Jun 29, 2016, 12:38 PM

With the "what we do"

Who? You can speak for every person on Tigernet / every clemson fan?

Nobody celebrated Virginia winning the CWS like we won it ourselves

Nobody celebrated Duke winning the tourney like it was a victory for us

Yes, we.

Jun 29, 2016, 12:59 PM

As in the general Clemson fanbase. As in the one I was born and raised and went to school in. As in the one my family's donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to. That one.

I do agree there is a difference between Cootbamas and us using the strength of the ACC to our advantage in basketball. Thanks, just need some clarification.

I don't limit myself to cheering for the ACC...

Jun 29, 2016, 9:52 AM

I try to pull for whoever is going to win. Then I'm a winner by association.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Go Iceland!

Jun 29, 2016, 12:37 PM

Fans aren't consistent, logical, rational or intelligent ...

Jun 29, 2016, 9:58 AM

That's why you gotta like TigerNet!

chickenfans are a pimple on the ### of humanity....

Jun 29, 2016, 11:33 AM

so are those who defend the indefensible

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC ain't the best baseball conference, nor is the SEC

Jun 29, 2016, 11:36 AM

even if they dominate the meaningless rankings every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hypocrisy?

Jun 29, 2016, 11:39 AM

You serious, Clark?

Re: Hypocrisy?

Jun 29, 2016, 12:29 PM

Not picking up what you are putting down.

I've never heard any Clemson fans do that in any sport.***

Jun 29, 2016, 11:40 AM

Re: I've never heard any Clemson fans do that in any sport.***

Jun 29, 2016, 12:31 PM

Do what? Chant ACC? It's happened plenty of times. But in a different manner than the coots. Such as when we beat Auburn, it was changed to rub it in their face.

The rare times it has been done, it was to mock the SEC********

Jun 29, 2016, 12:07 PM

^^^^This^^^^***

Jun 29, 2016, 12:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep

Jun 29, 2016, 12:32 PM [ in reply to The rare times it has been done, it was to mock the SEC******** ]

This is the only time I've ever heard it.

Your post confused me until I got to the last line, where

Jun 29, 2016, 1:42 PM

you said you just graduated. Then it made sense....I didn't know jackschitt until I was 30 either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your post confused me until I got to the last line, where

Jun 29, 2016, 2:11 PM

Lol, yea that's probably true for me too. Although I pretend to know everything.

I give a TU for the simple fact that you posted something &

Jun 29, 2016, 7:28 PM

then actually answered people! Too many get on here just to hear themselves talk. Good job!

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Tell 'em, Coot!!!!!***

Jun 29, 2016, 7:31 PM

Obvious coot troll trolling....stop feeding the troll***

Jun 30, 2016, 9:18 AM

Yeah I've never done that.

Jun 30, 2016, 10:02 AM

I'll quickly admit that the ACC is the best in both of those sports. But I'd also admit that the SEC is probably the best football conference, although the gap is definitely being closed. I think the PAC-12 is going to take over as the best.

We make fun of the coots for it because they have never won anything in football. 1 ACC championship almost 50 years ago. 1 SEC East title in the 20+ years they've been in the conference. But they chant SEC because that's all they have. The success Alabama has had seems to validate their perpetual state of mediocrity.

We aren't hypocrites who tout our conference...

Jun 30, 2016, 10:57 AM

We are better than our conference in football and we don't need it. It needs us.

We don't tout our basketball prowess and try to claim we are "something" because we play in a league with UNC, Duke, Louis, Syracuse, etc. We know our place in the league and are pleasantly surprised when we perform well.

Our baseball prowess was remarkable given that we won the ACC tourney and beat up 4 teams in the highest RPI conference in the nation. Once we were bounced from the NCAA tourney, any other ACC team remaining in the tourney could go to #### as far as I was concerned.

That's the difference. We care about how Clemson measures up to the league, but we don't care about the league as a whole and certainly don't ride the coattails of other league teams as some form of personal glory.

Replies: 81
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic