Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do so many of you care what a players star rating is 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Why do so many of you care what a players star rating is 5

Apr 27, 2018, 2:39 PM

Months before he plays his 1st game in his senior year? Just look at the young mans offer list Clemson, Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State, and BAMA. Who do you think can evaluate talent better the coaches at those schools or the fan boys who run most of the pay recruiting sites like rivals? Some of you will point to players like DW4 or TL16 being 5 star, but anyone can see that they’re elite. But take a look at our 3 star RB,TE is he not elite?

If a 3 star player scores a TD is it only worth 3 points? Once a player steps on campus he’s no longer a 3,4, or 5 star player he’s a member of the Clemson Football Program and will have to earn playing time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do so many of you care what a players star rating is 5

Apr 27, 2018, 2:42 PM

I think most people care because there is tons of data of what a teams blue chip ratio needs to be in order to win national championships.

More 5 stars, reduced risks of missing in a player. Not saying this kid isn’t going to be a heck of a player but in general you need a high blue chip ratio to compete at the highest level.

Apr 27, 2018, 3:25 PM

I get that but you can only sign 4 to 8 five stars a year, because nationwide they’re only 25 to 30 a year and rarely any in South Carolina. We’ll have more 5 stars on our roster this year than ever.

Apr 27, 2018, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do so many of you care what a players star rating is 5 ]

Not ask FSU. You need good players but all are not 5 stars

Well hopefully our recruiting will pick up so we can

Apr 27, 2018, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do so many of you care what a players star rating is 5 ]

possibly compete for this national championship you are talking about. Really?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably the same reason why you care what they care about***

Apr 27, 2018, 2:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Would you rather date a 10 or a 2? Same deal IMO

Apr 27, 2018, 2:51 PM

And I think you answered the question yourself with knowing elite vs debating it.

For the most part, 5 star kids are better players. Doesn't mean a lower star player isn't good. Some grow, mature, etc and achieve more than a fully developed kid in HS that is ranked higher.

Personally, I would rather have a team with 5 stars at every position than a team with 3 stars at every position...Of course, I only dated 10's when I was single too!

Re: Would you rather date a 10 or a 2? Same deal IMO

Apr 27, 2018, 3:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KWLMNHoco8

How big are the 2's hooters?***

Apr 27, 2018, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Would you rather date a 10 or a 2? Same deal IMO ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: How big are the 2's hooters?***

Apr 27, 2018, 4:51 PM

Them biguns only look good for a short time before gravity takes hold and yanks then down to therir navel. Seen many a biggun wear a tube top at the midriff in my time, that i can pass on .

Apr 27, 2018, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Would you rather date a 10 or a 2? Same deal IMO ]

Yes 5 star players are better, but they’re only 25 to 30 five star players a year nationwide, so at most you can sign 4 to 8 in a class. With a class of 25 to 27 this year we will have some 3 star players and a few 5 star players. Plus I’m willing to bet most of our 3 star players will move up by February.

Apr 27, 2018, 3:28 PM

The higher ranking is simply an indication of what MIGHT be. Im confident this 3 will be a 4 by the time he signs his loi.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2018, 2:52 PM

because

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Apr 27, 2018, 3:38 PM

Only name you need to know about star rankings is Hunter Renfrow. There are only a handful of 5 stars to go around so your class has to be a majority of 4 and high 3 star guys. This guy is a high 3 star guy with his senior season still to play but even so I don't care if he drops to a 1 star because BV hand picked this kid at his position of coaching. Thats should tell you everything.

Because 'Best is Standard'?

Apr 27, 2018, 3:42 PM

??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2018, 3:56 PM

rhettm said:

Months before he plays his 1st game in his senior year? Just look at the young mans offer list Clemson, Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State, and BAMA. Who do you think can evaluate talent better the coaches at those schools or the fan boys who run most of the pay recruiting sites like rivals? Some of you will point to players like DW4 or TL16 being 5 star, but anyone can see that they’re elite. But take a look at our 3 star RB,TE is he not elite?

If a 3 star player scores a TD is it only worth 3 points? Once a player steps on campus he’s no longer a 3,4, or 5 star player he’s a member of the Clemson Football Program and will have to earn playing time.

I'm with you. The dude is clearly a 4 on film, looks like about a 1-for-1 replacement for DoD. Wish he had a LITTLE more closing speed but he's certainly fast and rangy enough and I think he's a little better in traffic than DoD was, and he definitely looks more natural in coverage than DoD did early on - that was the knock on DoD early: he could run, he was just clueless in space, which meant he played a lot against Georgia Tech and anybody else who ran the option but generally came off the field whenever we were in nickel, which was most of the time.

We missed on Owen Pappoe, who I think was a 5...this guy certainly looks like he'd be a candidate to be the next one up...especially since by now the coaches will know everything about him, including work ethic, personality, IQ, coachability, what kind of family he's from...etc. We certainly didn't go all the way up to Pennsylvania to get him because we thought his hair was snazzy.

Clemson offers the fewest prospects of any school in FCS. Period. If the coaches think he's the best one after Pappoe, they're very likely right.

That always tends to come out in the wash...especially late, I've gotten very used to watching Clemson commits climb as they kill it in camps and All-Star games.

No.

Apr 27, 2018, 4:52 PM

All touchdowns are worth 6 points, regardless of who scores them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

It usually a good indicator of how good player is considered, but

Apr 27, 2018, 5:07 PM

I have no idea why people care if a player gets "bumped up" or if a player is a "high 3 star". At that point, who cares? It's like people are collecting Pokémon cards.

Unsure of your intention but all things being equal

Apr 27, 2018, 6:59 PM

in terms of work ethic, character and IQ, I'll take 5 stars over 3 stars given the opportunity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unsure of your intention but all things being equal

Apr 27, 2018, 7:10 PM

SocMan2® said:

in terms of work ethic, character and IQ, I'll take 5 stars over 3 stars given the opportunity.

We're assuming the kid is really a 3. Considering his offer list and the fact that Clemson offered him this early I would doubt it. You hit your fallback board in January...and even then, our "fallback" board has been producing guys like Travis Etienne lately, go figure.

He looked like a pretty solid 4-star per his film. I wouldn't rate him equal with an Owen Pappoe - who I really, really wanted and I will freely admit it - but this guy looks like the next tier down, possible future NFL guy, probably a 2-or-more-year starter. Definite take unless you've just got a Pappoe committed already.

Considering the Owen Pappoe's are few and far between, probably the best we were going to do. I mean, this year, as far as 5-star linebacker/safety hybrid types, I see...well, Owen Pappoe. And that's it.

IMO..

Apr 27, 2018, 7:33 PM

true star ratings at time of recruitment are a gamble sometimes. Most times a 5* recruit is the real deal. But sometimes a 5* has reached his potential in hs and does not improve much in college. Then you may have a 2 or 3* that has not reached his potential and gets much better in college ball. Coaches can see potential in that player and recruits him. Star ratings are what they are at the time when he is being recruited. We have seen many 4 and 5* that did not get any better in college and a 3* reaches NFL caliber.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic