Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do people jump thru so many hoops to cook a steak?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1,175

Why do people jump thru so many hoops to cook a steak?

May 7, 2020, 6:42 PM

I've been cooking perfect steaks for the last 25 years or so with nothing more than a weber grill and charcoal. I was in a Chicago bar many years ago and struck up a conversation with a guy who worked at one of the bigtime local steakhouses. No, I don't remember which one. He told me - look, it's simple...

Buy the best meat you can find. Set it out and let it get to room temperature before you grill. Flop it in olive oil and and add a ton of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. More than you think is necessary. Pile up the coals on one side of the grill so it's super hot. Throw em on there and let em sear about a minute or so. Brush a little butter on em. Don't worry if it flares up. Flip em. More butter.

Move em to the the other side of the grill for indirect heat. A couple minutes more, flip em. Depending on thickness and whether you want rare, medium rare, etc, you learn with experience. Jerk em off (yeah I know) and wrap em in a couple layers of foil and let em rest for about 10 minutes or so. They will continue cooking.

Sure, it took a few times to nail it and get the timing down. But I can give you a perfect steak 98 times out of 100 that has a perfect char and is warm red center, pink all the way thru, whatever. And I don't need to vacuum seal it in a plastic bag, boil it, bury it in the yard for 48 hours, sear it on a skillet, and then set off the smoke alarms broiling it.

Have had many people tell me - JFC, this is the best steak I've ever had. It's really pretty simple.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Why do people jump thru so many hoops to cook a steak?

May 7, 2020, 6:45 PM

Sums it up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a lot of hoops for me. I just go with ........

May 7, 2020, 6:48 PM

cast iron in the oven.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I need a recipe for that

May 7, 2020, 7:06 PM

I throw mine on the propane grille

Here goes..........

May 7, 2020, 7:15 PM

Room temp steak

Pan in the oven as it preheats to 500.

Throw buttah in pan then sear 2 minutes on each side on the burner. Back in the oven for 2 minutes and then let rest.

For a fairly thick steak it will be medium rare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

note: the "reverse sear method", this one, and others

May 7, 2020, 8:24 PM

all start with a room temp steak. Whatever you do, this is key to desired results based on cook times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw something online today that reminded me of you........

May 7, 2020, 8:29 PM

Apparently cast iron pizza is a quarantine thing.

I'm like No has had that down for awhile!

yeah saw an AP article that got wide distriubtion.

May 7, 2020, 8:46 PM

they liked a bag of pre-made dough for a thick crust pie. May try that out, but would be more tempted to use less of the bag o' crust or refrigerated crust to fit my skillet. I could go for a lil thicker crust than a tortilla sometimes, but the basic recipe using a tortilla works for us. I'm not sure how may peeps have a large cast iron pan (12" or more) to follow some of these recipes.

I love my large old Griswold #12, and there's a lot of others out there. It's more than big enough for the whole wheat tortillas we use, and I'd like to try a bag crust sometime. The concept still works, you're crusting up the crust right away, while adding toppings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here goes..........

May 7, 2020, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Here goes.......... ]

TOTE1

I've done that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but

May 7, 2020, 7:12 PM [ in reply to That's a lot of hoops for me. I just go with ........ ]

I end up taking the batteries out of the smoke detectors to shut em up. LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've done that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but

May 7, 2020, 7:15 PM

I was at my Mom's place one Thanksgiving when she was living in a loft in Los Angeles. Anyway, there was so much smoke when she was making her steaks Pittsburgh style that the fire department actually showed up.

Trust me I know lol. *******

May 7, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to I've done that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but ]

Charcoal on a weeknight is a lot

May 7, 2020, 6:56 PM

Ditto cast iron sear then oven while finishing sides

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Absolutely. Understood. This is more of a weekend night with

May 7, 2020, 7:09 PM

another couple thing. In fact, once you get beyond about 4 people this really doesn't work on the standard small weber grill. You have to move to the gas grill. But if it's just just you and the lovie-dovie, or maybe one other couple, I still prefer to do it this way. I just like being outside and smelling the smoke and having a beer.

It’s definitely more of an experiential process

May 7, 2020, 7:25 PM

Than a goal oriented one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Maybe I'm just a pyro at heart, but I still like firing up

May 7, 2020, 7:39 PM

the coals and tending the fire. And I have a screened in back porch, so I'm not dealing with skeeters and gnats or whatever. I guess the same reason I like lighting the fireplace every chance I get, even though it's totally unnecessary in upstate SC except a few days a year. LOL

That sounds like a lot of work***

May 7, 2020, 7:06 PM

No salt before cooking, but covered in black pepper.

May 7, 2020, 7:08 PM

Salt dries it out.

My preferred method, which I find quick and easy:

1. Coat filets completely with extra virgin olive oil and cover every inch of surface area with coarsely ground black pepper.

2. Cast iron skillet very hot. No oil.

3. Cook 3-5 mins per side until it "releases" and you can lift the filet with tongs from the skillet without the pepper adhering to the skillet. Cook on edges for a short time depending upon thickness.

4. Place cooked filets into pan of salted hot butter and coat each filet thoroughly.

5. Enjoy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Username checks out.

May 7, 2020, 8:02 PM

Put me in the cast iron camp.

Olive oil and ghee with garlic to flavor the pan.

3 minute sear on high first side.

Flip sear for 1 minute, then add 2-3 tbsp butter. Baste the steak in the butter/ghee/olive oil/garlic for 1-2 minutes.

Put in oven to finish.

Re: Username checks out.

May 8, 2020, 10:44 AM

I'm almost embarrassed that I just got your comment. Yes, Seared Side of the Moo. LOL

I use an old family recipe....

May 7, 2020, 8:20 PM

You put them on the grill.

Then you take them off.

Works every time.

I eat steak about twice a year, BUT recently taught lil’APM the art.

May 7, 2020, 8:36 PM

Room temp - correct
Good cuts (ribeye) - correct

After that we differ in some aspects:

1) cook indoors in butter in cast iron
2) salt & pepper is all you need, yes plenty of salt
3) seat on both sides, yes
4) cook a few minutes each side, then check for desired doneness
5) take em off, let them “rest”

Dig in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NY Strip ;) *******

May 7, 2020, 8:47 PM

Ideally, Waygu/Kobe but it’s expensive and impossible

May 8, 2020, 7:52 AM

to find outside of Nippon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have 4 paragraphs explaining how to cook a steak and

May 8, 2020, 6:16 AM

complaining that people make it too complicated to cook steaks.

Meat + EVOO + Salt + Pepper + Heat

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

chit... 4 paragraphs is nothing. How many times have I seen

May 8, 2020, 7:12 AM

posts longer than that about cooking something, complete with before and after pictures? LOL

I only have 3500 posts in over 20 years, so I'm hardly one of the more verbose posters on here.

Now pick up that mess you made and get off my lawn...

Yeah! Get off moo’s case man! This aggression will not stand man!***

May 8, 2020, 7:48 AM [ in reply to You have 4 paragraphs explaining how to cook a steak and ]

May 8, 2020, 7:53 AM

Agree. However I do not use that much salt.

All these dudes swearing by their method are just bored and wasting time and keeping themselves sane by standing outside by the grill and drinking heavy amounts of alcohol.

^^^^^me most times I grill anything^^^^^^^^^^

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I know. I'm guilty as well. Jesus, I've posted more the

May 8, 2020, 8:00 AM

last few months than ever before. Bored as hell. Cooped up in the house by myself. Day drinking. Got nothing better to do. Hel1, I even rejoined Facebook, and I swore I'd never do that. I deleted my account 3 or 4 years ago...

Re: Oh I know. I'm guilty as well. Jesus, I've posted more the

May 8, 2020, 8:03 AM

I rejoined Instagram and I realize why I left. I post too much when hammers and I do not need to see that super hot chick that I banged in college posting about her mansion in Charleston every 2 seconds while I freeze my #### off in a corona hot bed while watching it snow on May 8th.

I've got a couple methods depending on the cut and my

May 8, 2020, 8:00 AM

preferred end result or what i'm pairing with.

I will reverse sear sometimes by smoking the salt and peppered steak at 200° or so until internal temp of 120°. During this whole time the cast iron skillet has been in the oven heating up. Remove steak and sear each side until it easily releases, about 90 seconds. Rest and serve. I'll usually use this method if my sides are best made on the grill as well, such as asparagus, grilled corn, whatever. This method is also more forgiving on leaner cuts.

If i am cooking inside it is cast iron, high heat and room temp steak S/P. Sear each side (and here is the key to not smoking) in grapeseed oil until the steak easily releases, about 3-4 minutes first side and a minute less for the second side. Add butter and aromatics (garlic, rosemary, thyme, whatever you like; i just started growing fresh herbs and am kind of obsessed) and baste to about 10° below your desired temp, set on cutting board, cover in the butter and rest covered in foil.

TL:DR sear in grapeseed oil to avoid having to explain yourself to the fire chief.

I'll have to give the cast iron thing another chance. Heard

May 8, 2020, 8:16 AM

about the grapeseed oil, but never tried it...

Re: I'll have to give the cast iron thing another chance. Heard

May 8, 2020, 8:49 AM

The added benefit to the cast iron is then you can make a pan sauce while the steak rests. This however, will not reduce the hoop jumping, but a good pan sauce is a game changer.

Your method is pretty similar to mine, but facts are

May 8, 2020, 8:36 AM

It isn’t gonna be as good as a perfectly executed reverse sear. It just isn’t.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, I get it. I'll give the pan sear thingy another try. B

May 8, 2020, 9:55 AM

here's the thing. My way... I'm outside on my screen porch on a cool October evening. LSU vs Auburn is on the outside TV with the sound muted. A breeze is rustling the leaves on the trees, which are starting to change color. Me and my buddy are drinking cocktails, and the women are inside drinking wine and preparing sides. Damm near perfect evening, no?

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfection (Peter Luger's or a high-end steakhouse in Chicago or Dallas) maybe the best I can do is a 8. And maybe a sous vide or reverse sear can get a 9 or whatever There's still a trade-off there. I'm not in the kitchen sticking thermometer probes and watching timers and sweating it...

I don't know, does that make any sense? Besides, if I really, really want a 9... I can always go to Hall's or Chophouse 47 or wherever, and let them do all the work.

Obed

Again, this is where the Blackstone griddle shines

May 8, 2020, 10:03 AM

I'll slow cook mine on my Akorn, and have a nice pool of butter ready to go on the griddle. They come off the grill, rest on a plate for a second, and onto the griddle. All happens with a beer in hand and without taking a step.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hmm... that sounds like a happy medium... I will research.***

May 8, 2020, 10:11 AM

Scooter posted this the other day, I didn't know these

May 8, 2020, 10:15 AM

existed, but look like a nice set up

https://blackstoneproducts.com/collections/griddles/products/griddle-amp-charcoal-grill-combo

PRO TIP: My local Ace Hardware usually has Blackstone griddles on sale.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is definitely value in the enjoyment of the process,

May 8, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to OK, I get it. I'll give the pan sear thingy another try. B ]

no doubt. Adapt any of these scenarios to best fit your enjoyment. For example, in my scenario for smoking the steak, you would get similar results pre-heating the cast iron on the smoker while the steak smokes. It won't get as ripping hot but you could supplement with a side burner or a griddle like LB does.

On the flip side of your scenario, when it's 110° on my screened porch in August, it's nice having a bulletproof process to make a steak in my kitchen in the AC, with a cold drink in hand and not having to fire up the smoker or light coals.

touché... point taken.***

May 8, 2020, 10:26 AM

edit: I will admit I sometimes shy away from grillin during the dogs days of summer...

Uh, this is exactly how I cook them

May 8, 2020, 9:06 AM

Exactly. Salt and pepper em, then rub that olive oil in by hand to tenderize it.

Depending on the thickness of the steak 4-5 minutes on the first side, flip, then 3 minutes then take em off, wrap em in tinfoil and bring em in. Tin foil catches all the extra juices you can poor on them when they're on your plate.

Nowhere ITT did anybody mention Dale's Seasoning

May 8, 2020, 10:37 AM

disappoint

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

May 8, 2020, 10:41 AM

THE ONLY TAKEAWAY FROM THIS POAST IS BUTTER.

May 8, 2020, 10:51 AM

Butter is what takes a steak from good to great.

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 43
| visibility 1,175
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic