Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why can't Congress just vote and pass a bill?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Why can't Congress just vote and pass a bill?

Feb 5, 2018, 11:41 AM

I'm not trying to trumpet the merits of this particular bill, because I haven't read it. But why doesn't Congress vote and pass a bill, if there's bipartisan support? Then if the President doesn't like it, it's on him to veto it or not. And if it's a good enough bill and there's enough bipartisan support, Congress can overrirde the veto.

Why let the President run the legislature? Congress should to their job, and the President can do his. Maybe this bill wouldn't pass, but just because the President is saying he doesn't like it, doesn't mean you shouldn't debate it and vote on it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/05/politics/trump-daca-mccain-coons-immigration-plan/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

holy carp, where have you been the past 8 yrs?***

Feb 5, 2018, 11:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About 60% at home, 30% at work, 10% at church.

Feb 5, 2018, 11:46 AM

I guess.

what about the other 10%?

Feb 5, 2018, 12:09 PM

or were you not giving 110? ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because we are in the age of a strong Executive Branch

Feb 5, 2018, 11:46 AM

through history though, it was the legislative branch which welded the power up until about 1930 and FDR.

The President now sets what the party is going to stand for and what they aren't.

This is mainly because the two parties in congress have become so extreme that bipartisan doesn't really work anymore and so the president has to step in to get something done.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Was with you until the last sentence

Feb 5, 2018, 12:43 PM

It's less about extremism than it is about congressional deference to the executive branch. They need to write laws that give the executive less wiggle room.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing to do with the Pres, that bill is DOA in the House***

Feb 5, 2018, 11:50 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Maybe so, I'd like to see them try.

Feb 5, 2018, 11:52 AM

I hope Congress doesn't allow these comments by the White House to influence their work.

again

Feb 5, 2018, 12:10 PM

how many times did Obama say he was gonna veto a bill coming from the pubs?

TDS

I don't know, but my post was generic and can

Feb 5, 2018, 1:31 PM

be applied to any President. You are the first person in this thread to apply it to Trump specifically.

McCain is a pseudo-Dem. He doesnt represent

Feb 5, 2018, 12:11 PM

the GOP conservative mind-set.

Perhaps true, but doesn't seem to pertain to my questions.***

Feb 5, 2018, 1:41 PM

Re: McCain is a pseudo-Dem. He doesnt represent

Feb 5, 2018, 3:27 PM [ in reply to McCain is a pseudo-Dem. He doesnt represent ]

I always liked him. If we had more like him in office, we'd probably get more done. Enough with all the name calling. I wish both sides would work together and discuss each other's points of view. I guess I'm being a snowflake again....

McCain and Graham are two of the

Feb 5, 2018, 5:02 PM

few statesmen we have left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why can't Congress just vote and pass a bill?

Feb 5, 2018, 12:17 PM

I thought it was interesting what Trey Gowdy said on TV when asked why he wasn't running for reelection.

He spoke about his comfort in the judicial system as opposed to politics by he said something that I thought struck to the heart of our current situation.

He said 'fairness' is found in the justice system more readily than in politics. He said there is a reason that "subpoenas get quashed" or "search warrants are thrown out" because the system is based on fairness to both the defense and the prosecution (he's a former prosecutor).

He said in politics it just about 'winning' at all costs. Not about truth or fairness but just about winning no matter what.

He highlighted, in my view, the problem with our current political climate. The Republicans, the Democrats, the conservatives and the liberals only seem to care about winning, not whether the American people are being served.

Unless and until we resolve this tribalism phenomena we are in for a very rough road.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congressional leadership won't allow bills on the floor

Feb 5, 2018, 12:33 PM

unless either there is majority party approval or white house support.

It's one of the reasons people should hate Congress, but in an age of partisanship it's something the base loves. There is no potential for bipartisan legislation because it can't move forward without partisan support.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just practicality

Feb 5, 2018, 12:36 PM

People will come up with any reason they can think of to hate Congress, as long as they don't actually have to understand how things work.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends on what one believes about the power of the

Feb 5, 2018, 12:47 PM

executive branch. Seems like those that felt that Obama held too much power are fine with Trump holding the same power.

Of course, there should be negotiation but the president appears to be saying and tweeting that he's not willing to negotiate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because they don't want to waste time...

Feb 5, 2018, 12:35 PM

They don't want to spend lots of time building up a coalition to pass bill, negotiating on it, spending lots of political capital, etc, when they know the bill isn't going to become law. It's also a lot harder to override a presidential veto than it is to just pass a bill. That would require lots of congressional members of the president's party to be significantly at odds with the president, and would create a situation where it would become harder to negotiate in the future.

It's much better- and probably easier to pass anyway- to negotiate something with the president that he'll sign, especially when congress is controlled by the same party as the president.

Well, they don't seem to be productive doing anything else.***

Feb 5, 2018, 1:33 PM

In other words, you don't care about the other stuff

Feb 5, 2018, 1:37 PM

They're always doing something, even if it's not something that's getting a lot of attention. On the immigration issue, it looks to me like they're trying to come up with a bill that the president can sign. Right now, the one that one group of congressmen is presenting to the president looks unacceptable. But that's a lot different than not doing anything at all.

It just doesn't make much sense to me...

Feb 5, 2018, 1:40 PM

Everyone clamors, verbally, for bipartisan progress on this issue. But then when some happens, it's shot down faster than you can say "DACA". What is bipartisan work supposed to look like, that will actually get traction?

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic