Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pro Baseball..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,644

Pro Baseball..........

Jun 7, 2016, 11:39 AM

Slow time so I will toss this out there.......

Anybody lose interest in professional baseball? I can't stand to watch it right now. I love college baseball (aluminum bats, kids have passion, etc) but the pro game has lost me and I think that they have lost others as well.

So, how do they get the casual fan back? A few suggestions (some radical):

1. Shorten the season. Playing 162 games is too much.

2. Do what many minor leagues do and play "two halves". First half champion and a second half champion make the playoffs. Throw in wild cards. The problem is that many teams (Braves example) will essentially be eliminated before the season is half over. Wiping the "slate clean" at the half way point gives all teams something to play for throughout.

3. Shorten the games.......I know that MLB has tried to implement some stuff to shorten the games but what does it save like 2-3 minutes per game. 9 innings and a three hour game is too long. I like the idea of games being 7 innings.

I understand that these will never happen and that some will consider messing with our national past time "Un-American".

Thoughts on how to get baseball back?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pro Baseball..........***

Jun 7, 2016, 11:41 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you offered "solutions," but didn't say

Jun 7, 2016, 11:54 AM

what the problem was. What is wrong with the sport, that needs fixing?

Do you also think college baseball games should be shortened to 7 innings? Do you think college baseball should be split into two "halves"?

Re: Well, you offered "solutions," but didn't say

Jun 7, 2016, 12:24 PM

College baseball teams are not playing every day of the week. Compare Clemson vs Atlanta Braves schedule. Clemson played a regular season of 56 games over a 93 day period. Atlanta will play 85 games over a 93 day period. I understand that MLB is about the money (gate revenue, Tv, etc.) but I really believe that you turn off the casual fan by playing TOO much in a game that takes TOO long to play.

Like I said, it is radical, but if you are going to play 162 games shorten the game to 7 innings.

I played baseball my entire life (through college but not a Clemson) but today's kids (and society in general) don't have the time/interest to sit down and watch a game on a Tuesday night that takes three hours to play.

I like the first/second half champion idea. There are MLB teams already 10 plus games out (Cards, Pirates). You think the Pirate fans will have an interest in late July if there are still 10-15 games out? Nope............If you crown a second half champion it keeps fans engaged for longer.

My son loves sports. Plays all sports except baseball. He watches all sports on TV except baseball.

Just think that this is a growing trend with youth in general.

Jun 7, 2016, 12:43 PM

Your statement sums it up best.......baseball doesn't "fit" this society..........we are an ipad/ipod/smartphone/nook/tablet/social media/etc... dependent society that wants everything now, now, now for instant gratification

that being said, I'm a traditionalist and I don't want MAJOR changes to baseball.

a change that i would recommend that doesn't come close to solving baseball's overall problems.......get rid of the one game wildcard play in game.

Jun 7, 2016, 3:42 PM

the one change that is needed MOST is to eliminate that STUPID RULE about the catcher having to catch the 3rd strike!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, MLB is still getting very high

Jun 7, 2016, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, you offered "solutions," but didn't say ]

attendance and TV rating numbers, so they're doing something right.

The Braves eliminated themselves last year - you can

Jun 7, 2016, 12:22 PM

wipe the slate clean for them each month and they won't be making any playoffs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL pro sports seasons are way too long

Jun 7, 2016, 12:55 PM

but they'll never do it because of greed.

Golf, NASCAR, tennis and other sports are year-round, but who cares anyhow about those. there are too many tourneys, races etc, I think even the athletes would agree with that.

Football is the shortest because it has to be to have anybody healthy left playing after 16-18 games. That season is the closest to perfect length. Sept-Jan. They have stretched to Feb in recent years.

Basketball and hockey, BY FAR the worst offenders, should end by April 15 at the latest. They are winter sports. October-April is plenty - that's SEVEN months right there. They currently go 9 months.

Baseball should end by Labor Day. Playoffs and World Series in freezing cold weather is downright stupid, plus they are overshadowed by football. August would be a GREAT month for the playoffs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pro Baseball..........

Jun 7, 2016, 1:07 PM

Baseball started playing a 154 game schedule in 1892. If it was manageable then it's certainly manageable now. Baseball is a different animal and is not for everyone. Baseball's single biggest issue - which I don't see mentioned here - is a serious talent difficiency as the best youth athletes are no longer pursuing baseball. There are a multitude of socio-economic factors creating this problem and there are no easy fixes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football games, college in particular, are longer than most

Jun 7, 2016, 1:43 PM

baseball games. I don't think it's the overall length of the game that bothers fans, it's the pace of play and the amount of time between pitches. Batters have to step out, unfasten both batters gloves, put them back on, inspect their bats, tug on their pants, dig their feet back in, and then maybe they are ready for a pitch after that before doing it all over again.

Why Pro baseball has lost me (TLDR,TYIA)

Jun 7, 2016, 1:58 PM

I’ve got three big reasons why I don’t watch pro baseball anymore. Two are time related and one is just quality of life related.

1)Commercials: Advertising in general has gotten progressively worse but I especially don’t need 2-5 minute breaks between each team’s at-bat. That’s 30-45 minutes of wasted time and that doesn’t include breaks during pitching changes. This also hurts live game experiences.

Solution: Implement a soccer solution of never taking commercial breaks. Give them the 7th inning stretch or the banner ones used in US soccer coverage. But greed probably makes this unlikely.

2)Velcro/Pitching Clock: It annoys the #### out of me when baseball players have to readjust the Velcro on their #### batting gloves after every at bat. I understand they are usually doing this to take a mental break to try and guess what’s coming next. Stop it, and additionally enforce the pitching clock. If you look at the average time between pitches at the college and pro level you’ll see what I’m talking about. Multiply that difference by the average number of at-bats per game and it adds up.

Solution: For batters, no more stepping out of the box but once per at bat or per request for time to the ump, which he should rarely grant except on unique situations like extreme inside pitches. Stay in the #### box and get ready for the next pitch. For pitchers there is already a clock rule in mlb for pitchers but it is never enforced, start now. And if after enforcing it, things don’t speed up, shorten it. If batters can’t have as much time to think, pitchers don’t get it either. Besides, the pitcher and catcher work together to select pitches; they don’t need as much time.

3)Automate the strike zone: I played baseball from tee ball through high school so I understand the argument of “it’s part of the character of the game.” And this really hasn’t started bothering me until maybe the last 5-6 years but here’s my counter. The prevailing belief among fans for over a hundred years was, yeah, there may be a bad call here or there but over the course of a game it will even out. And that thought was mostly unchallenged because we watched it live or on a grainy TV. However, HD TV and instant replay has not just become common but is now a staple of the sports experience (I know I love how we get instant replays, even on controversial calls in Death Valley, and feel the loss when I go to other venues that don’t have that practice). With these technological advances has come the ability for even the casual fan to see for themselves, instantly what the right call is. In fact, because of camera angles and TV coverage, often times the fans see the right call better than the ump could have. So it becomes very frustrating when over the course of a game, fans see balls called strikes and strikes called balls. Pitchers getting out of tough spots thanks to their ability to “expand the strike zone.” I know there have been numerous stories in recent years about how many major leaguers track umpire tendencies and even the best ways to manipulate them. I have always been of the belief that umps and refs should never make themselves part of the game. That’s what happens when umps call balls strikes and strikes balls.

Solution: Automate the strike zone. I don’t know exactly how, but I think the expectation is, with all this great technology we have now, there has to be a way. By the way, this won’t eliminate an ump. He’ll still have to decide on whether a batter really offered or not; dropped third strikes; plays at the plate; etc. But it should make it easier for all players to know what’s expected at the plate. Pitchers and batters don’t have to worry about a strike zone that moves. Catchers don’t have to frame pitches. Fans don’t get frustrated when they see one pitcher get calls that the other doesn’t get.

Anyways, I know that was a long read and most didn’t make it this far but that’s my 2 cents. I love college ball and watch it every year. I haven’t watched a pro game in a while. My fiancé won’t go to a pro game but loves to go to our local team’s games and I suspect it is the pace of play.

Go Tigers!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,644
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic