Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I think Rashan picks Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Why I think Rashan picks Clemson

Feb 1, 2016, 7:32 AM

As most of you know, I have followed this one closely. A lot of my information comes from various sites and a few contacts. After gathering all this info let me preface this by saying no one really knows what Rashan is going to do yet.

First, it has been clear to me Ms. Coney has always had Clemson near the top of her list. She came to Clemson split between us and Michigan. There was a ton of negative recruiting done and she did have concerns before her visit. Now, those concerns are gone and I believe she has Clemson has her top school.

On regards to her Twitter account, like many older folks most of her social media activities are done through Facebook. She is friends with Venables, Hobby, Reed, Shaq Smith and Dexter Lawrence. I put zero stock on who she follows on Twitter as a barometer of her relationships.

Most of the time in recruiting, friendships don't really affect where a recruit goes. Michigan has been holding onto the fact that his friends have committed to UM so Gary will want to do the same. Rarely do friends influence where a recruit will go. How many on here would move across the country for friends? Now ask yourself if you'd move across the country for family.

The Family Factor. Don't underestimate it. Rashan has the opportunity to not only be with his family through his college career but also throughout his entire life. Every time he comes back to his alma mater he'll be able to be with his real family.

Lastly, Dabo and staff feel really good about the entire situation. They are the best in the business. Period. End of Story.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I've said it before and I will say it again....

Feb 1, 2016, 7:37 AM

if Dabo can get them and their parents on campus for an official visit, I'll stack our chances up against anyone's in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I've said it before and I wil lsay it again....

Feb 1, 2016, 7:40 AM

Reported by another site that they rated the visit as 100 out of 100 and that Ms. Coney has never seen Rashan happier in her life.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

The nice spring-like weather couldn't have hurt either....

Feb 1, 2016, 7:43 AM

as opposed to be buried under the snow in Michigan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The nice spring-like weather couldn't have hurt either....

Feb 2, 2016, 4:12 AM

Ole Jim probably already has Rashon the best snowmobile that money will buy. It probably has heating and Air, just imagine Air on a snowmobile, but that will be the selling point. Put the top on in 4 ft of snow -12, and turn the AC and the radio on full blast!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you say which site said this?

Feb 1, 2016, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I've said it before and I wil lsay it again.... ]

Just wondering if it was a Clemson site or not. Thanks.

Re: I've said it before and I will say it again....

Feb 1, 2016, 8:32 AM [ in reply to I've said it before and I will say it again.... ]

I agree with you. I have said the same thing. There is nobody any better than Dabo selling a kid and his parents on what we have at Clemson. That's because there is nothing out there that is better than the product he has to sell. What great parent would not want their child to be exposed to what Clemson and our coaching staff provide for the guys who play for them. It gets no better, and most great parents get it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed! Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Link:

Feb 1, 2016, 8:20 PM [ in reply to I've said it before and I will say it again.... ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18898793

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why I think Rashan picks Clemson

Feb 1, 2016, 7:44 AM

Tiger Woods, nice thought-filled, gut-feeling post. I always appreciate your thoughts, hunches, gut-feelings and I hope for the best on Wednesday. Great job keeping novices like me in the loop! Hope you have a great day.

I actually know a number of folks who moved across the country

Feb 1, 2016, 7:46 AM

with friends and away from family. Most of them were post college grads, but hs and college are big transition and opportunity times. Doing it with friends is socially and developmentally normal and just plain fun.

That said, I agree that a kid is going to make the best decision for him. Hopefully we'llsee him in orange!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 1, 2016, 7:55 AM

What about his left high school coach being hired by Michigan for some type of recruiting position? From reading about the odds stacked up against us I always thought this one hurt the most. Look forward to your response

His Mother has said RG is closer to his Uncle than his ex

Feb 1, 2016, 7:59 AM

coach .

Re: His Mother has said RG is closer to his Uncle than his ex

Feb 1, 2016, 9:00 AM

We are a family.. He will be a member Wednesday!!!

Re: His Mother has said RG is closer to his Uncle than his ex

Feb 1, 2016, 9:19 AM [ in reply to His Mother has said RG is closer to his Uncle than his ex ]

Not all recruits like their coacches. I have had several whose grave I would not ---- on, and I also have had some I would fight for. It seems as though this one may be using his relationship with this young man to help himself. That was the case with me. I resented it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Gary and his Mom would as well.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Why I think Rashan picks Clemson ]

Maybe the coach is more a negative than a plus. Most Tiger fans have a pretty good feeling about Mrs. Coney and her family, from press/interviews. Does anyone think she's remotely keen on someone riding HER son's coattails for their professional benefit?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2016, 8:12 AM

I think the coach/mentor thing is more effective with kids who don't have positive male role models in their life. By all accounts, this isn't even remotely the case with Gary. Positive family male role model trumps non-family role model IMO.

Feb 1, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Why I think Rashan picks Clemson ]

Very well said. My last post reflects that in my situation. I resented it with a passion. I still do.

Feb 1, 2016, 9:29 AM

Me too guys. I've posted this a few times in other threads over the past week but will do it again here for good measure.

[excerpt taken from Jennifer Coney's interview after Clemson's in-home visit 2 weeks ago]:

"Many national recruiting analysts say Michigan is the team to beat for Gary’s services, but Coney said all the schools are equal heading into the final days before National Signing Day.

“Is Michigan the team to beat? You can ask is Clemson the team to beat. You can ask is USC the team to beat. Right about now, we're all about equal,” Coney said. “I think that maybe they say that Michigan is the team to beat because Rashan's former head coach is there. And? Why couldn't Clemson be the team to beat when my brother is 10 minutes down the road and I don't have to worry about anybody because I know Rashan would be okay at Clemson because if he wasn't okay my brother is 10 minutes down the road. Why wouldn't they say Clemson is the team to beat? I would say my brother has a stronger relationship with Rashan than his coach.""

Feb 1, 2016, 9:31 AM

That quote pretty much showed where she stood before the visit

Feb 1, 2016, 9:37 AM

Exactly. To me, that interview said a lot about the type of person she is and what her expectations would be. I knew, after reading that and if they decided to take their official visit to Clemson (and not share the weekend with Auburn / Alabama), that Clemson would have a real shot to steer them away from Michigan's smoke screen.

I feel as good as I'll ever feel this morning about any recruit. Dabo and his staff fought the good fight and finished their work. Now it's up to Rashan and his mother and no matter which way they decide, (though I sincerely hope it's Clemson), they've earned my utmost respect with the way they handled what to most would be an incredibly arduous, almost-impossible process.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:11 PM

To this post, I totally agree. I hope he makes the right decision, but at least we got a point accross that will bring about reflection and, if honest, a very good reason why we are not the choice when we should be.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Why I think Rashan picks Clemson ]

A very cool person involved in the process posted on the boreds last night. He said it was a non issue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2016, 7:58 AM

Great post; I really really hope you're right. Not only would getting the #1 recruit land us an unbelievably talented player, but would do wonders for national exposure and future recruiting efforts. The thought of potentially landing him along with Lawrence for the 1, 2 punch gives me goosebumps.

I'm cautiously/anxiously nervous

Feb 1, 2016, 8:13 AM

I think it's 50-50 at this point. Don't want to get my hopes too high.

Re: I'm cautiously/anxiously nervous

Feb 1, 2016, 9:21 AM

I'd say our odds are better than that right now.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:14 AM

LOL. The kid is going to Michigan. Lots of mangers going to slit their wrists when he does.

That's quite the argument to the contrary

Feb 1, 2016, 8:38 AM

He may well go to Michigan, but you know as much as we do. I could argue your arrogance is based on reading popular sports sites that mention Clemson less in regards to recruits. On one site, CBS I believe, they don't even give Clemson a chance to nab Gary. They list 1. Michigan 2. Bama 3. Auburn for his pick. Yet, if you listen to his mom, they are strongly consdering CU.

Don't forget, Dabo has reeled in some biggies since he was Recruiting Coordinator.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:16 AM

Thank you TigerWoods. I have to admit that it would be truly amazing to land R Gary, Big Dex, Shaq Smith, and all the other great recruits we have this year! I hope your gut feelings are correct! Opposing offensive coordinators will be shaking in their boots for years!

Don't worry dude. I'm working on a presentation

Feb 1, 2016, 8:21 AM

On why we never wanted Gary in the first place. Got charts and trendlines and everything.

I've already prepared the presentation on why he is the greatest thing since heated toilet seats if he does pick Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Well I live in Florida and I have never seen anyone .....

Feb 1, 2016, 8:22 AM

Voluntarily go to Michigan.

I have seen many people retire and vacation to The State of South Carolina.

Which leads me to a comment on Pitt fans ....

Feb 1, 2016, 8:24 AM

Has anyone EVER circled Pittsburg as a retirement or vacation destination?

He's from New Jersey.....

Feb 1, 2016, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Well I live in Florida and I have never seen anyone ..... ]

How much worse could Michigan really be?

;)

Re: Well I live in Florida and I have never seen anyone .....

Feb 1, 2016, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Well I live in Florida and I have never seen anyone ..... ]

actually, the way to do it is to have a retirement location in the south for the winter and a retirement location in the north during the winter - I'm sure you've heard of snowbirds before.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:25 AM

So do you think the decision has been made by now?

Feb 1, 2016, 8:33 AM

I suspect they will go over schools when they get back and make a decision. Like all recruits I hope he makes the right decision for himself. It is a big decision for the player / student

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you give specifics as to what negative recruiting they

Feb 1, 2016, 9:20 AM

did?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can you give specifics as to what negative recruiting they

Feb 1, 2016, 9:22 AM

Yes. After 1 pm Wdnesday

lol, okay how about a tmail?***

Feb 1, 2016, 9:27 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2016, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Can you give specifics as to what negative recruiting they ]

thx tw - as always. looking forward to wed

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Feb 1, 2016, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Can you give specifics as to what negative recruiting they ]

I"m cool with that. I would love to read the scoop in further detail on Wed.

Then there's this

Feb 1, 2016, 9:39 AM

Not saying he chooses Michigan for reasons like this, but if I had to place money, I would still put him at Michigan.

That said, I hope he is in orange next season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

The other thing we all wonder, on top of everything you just said,

Feb 1, 2016, 11:04 AM

will you ever win another Major?

Feb 1, 2016, 11:57 AM

"Lastly, Dabo and staff feel really good about the entire situation. They are the best in the business. Period. End of Story." What he said...

My biggest question: Was BV and Brooks able to ....

Feb 1, 2016, 1:03 PM

get him into being a DaQuan type DE ?

Need is clearly DE over DT

Gary-----Dex------Wilkens----Bryant / Yeargin

That's pretty dominant

Feb 1, 2016, 11:14 PM

I agree with everything you've said Tiger. I respect you and appreciate your efforts. My only concern is that although I think Jennifer Coney sees the difference in Clemson, she's not going to be the one who's making the decision. She's a sharp, sharp lady and I think she's going to let her son make the call. As shes said, 'he's stuck and I can't un-stick him.' He's going to be the one to decide.

I just hope that what ever he's truly after he found it this weekend at Clemson. I give us a 60% shot at landing him.

Go Tigers!

Feb 2, 2016, 1:53 AM

Wednesday can't get here soon enough...

The Big 12 is going to Clemson. DONE DEAL. SOURCES.

Feb 2, 2016, 11:09 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic