Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why 2016 meant so much, an older Tigers perspective.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Why 2016 meant so much, an older Tigers perspective.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:06 PM

The "Just take a breath" post got me thinking about our 2016 Championship, and why it evoked such strong emotions. For me, it is like this: (This is a long poast, but hey, it covers a lot of ground)

I was at Clemson from 1972 thru 1976, a period which could arguably get votes as the worst in program history. I still cringe at the memory of "I'm Hootin' for Hootie" bumper stickers. No, young Coots, this had nothing to do with Darius Rucker's band.

Then, later, along came Pell, who got things started, then Danny Ford, who led us to our first Natty in 1981. A joyful time, but almost before the ink was dry on the stories, here came probation to put a damper on things. But, Danny survived those years, and had Clemson on the national stage for several years, although unable to duplicate that 1981 magic. Seemingly always at odds with the Trustees and AD, fighting for dollars to keep the program moving forward, then suddenly, Danny was gone.

Then came the doldrums, Clemson once again mired in mediocrity, the First Golden Era only a fading memory. Finally, a BOWDEN was hired. Surely he would be our ticket to return to greatness. Alas, he only returned us to respectability, but ultimately to being referred to by a word so heinous, it was synonymous with choking away games, a national punchline. But, he suggested his replacement, a young coach who he had rescued off the real estate scrapheap and returned to coaching. "Give Dabo a shot."

It took that coach a six game audition, and a few seasons to get his train really rolling. A disappointing bowl loss in 2010, followed by a season deflating major bowl embarrassment in 2011. But then, the seminal moment, a last second bowl win over LSU in 2012. I had that EUREKA monent when Cat-Man made that kick, YES, CLEMSON IS BACK! You couldn't have proved it to anyone outside the Clemson program, but I knew, I KNEW at that moment, "CLEMSONING" was dead.

So, from that moment, the vibe around the program was different. It still took awhile, and the arrival of a legendary guy named Deshaun Watson on the scene, for Clemson to finally really start to climb the national mountain again. 2015, achingly close, but no cigar. Then, that night in Raymond James Stadium. 2016 season. Legendary final drive to win it all. National Champions again, at last.

So, for this older Tiger, 2016 was oh, so sweet, because this time, there are no storm clouds on the horizon. Our program is exemplary. The powers that be are 100% in lock step with the football program. The worst thing anyone can find to say is that our Head Coach is too religious, and he shouldn't be "preachng" to his charges. Really?

1981 will always be special, because it is like our "firstborn". And, Danny Ford will always be Saint Danniford to me. But 2016 was the signal to the football world that not only was Clemson back, but this time, we intend to hang around for a long, long time, doing it the right way, and doing it better than anybody else has ever done it. Go, Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope we are doing it the right way.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:20 PM

And if not, I hope we don't get caught. Rubbin is racin!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope we are doing it the right way.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:26 PM

As long as the sharks and Coots have been circling, if there was even a smidgen to find, they would have found it by now. (Especially with the ridiculous occurrence of a couple of Tiger to Chicken transfers in recent times.)

I believe so and I want to believe so. Either way,

Sep 12, 2019, 7:28 PM

it's a great time to be a Tiger!

Re: Why 2016 meant so much, an older Tigers perspective.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:37 PM

I didn’t believe in Dabo at first, I wasn’t sold in year 4. Thank god I don’t make the decisions because I would have made a huge mistake that cost me and the entire Clemson Nation this run!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I too, graduated in 1976 (architecture) and those 4 years...

Sep 12, 2019, 7:53 PM

Were very painful. We only won 18 games and were 2009 our senior year after being the preseason pick to win the ACC. I wanted tonad tor fine commentary. I would give credit to Red Parker for starting the rebuilding of Clemson football. After our only winning season in my 4 years in 1974 (7-4), we landed our best recruiting class in in 15 years with Steve Fuller, Joe bostic, Lester Brown, Jerry Butler, etc. signing up. Those guys were counted on too heavily to win as freshmen but went 8-2-1 as juniors and 11-1 as seniors. Charley Pell coached then them the sort last two years and was a defensive coordinator when Red Parker hired him after the disastrous 1975 2-9 season when we led the nation with the worst scoring defense at 35 points/game.

One other point to make; Dabo has been a success at everything he has tackled in his life and rose to the top of his field as a commercial shopping center leasing agent for a former Alabama strength coach who owned a major real estate development business. In 2 years, he was making $200k which was about $65k more than Bowden offered him to coach the WRs at Clemson in 2003.

I hope I have added some good data to the commentary!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

76 I’m very glad you posted this. Our timeline is very close.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:54 PM

Between watching the Bowden Dynasty last night and the post you mentioned today, I’ve been very reflective on my time spent as a Clemson Football fan. I am so aligned with your take on the 2016 championship.

I can remember watching that LSU game. The drive for the TD, the return to almost midfield and then the 3 and out for LSU. I said to myself....don’t you dare come back and win this game. Like you I had the best feeling of what it would mean for the future.

I also remember going to Phoenix and watch the Tigers lose that game in the 4th quarter. They were the better team to that point, but we’re just too tired and too thin on defense. But recruiting, good performance and player rotation would mitigate that going forward. You could just see that that was going to be the future after that game.

Then Tampa as you mentioned. It was that mountain...climbed...and so the right way in so many aspects. It was just a relief and joy that had started from Pell to that moment. Undeniably the most very very happy, very very proud moment of my fandom to date.

Anyway. Thanks for the post. I’m with you.
And I’m a believer in the best is yet to come.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for the very very happy, very very proud***

Sep 13, 2019, 7:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent perspective...thanks for posting. My

Sep 13, 2019, 6:40 AM

experiences began in 1965, my freshman year, with four ho-hum seasons albeit with three ACC titles and two wins/two losses vs South Carolina.

I think a major juncture was the monstrous, bowl game loss to West Virginia, eventually prompting the hiring of Brent Venables. Add that to the Tony Elliott/Jeff Scott match up, and the right staff was in place. A close cousin, who was a Texas high school football coach, sent a message: "It's not a matter of if you'll win the national title, but when." After our 2016 victory, he sent another message: "See what I told you!" When I saw him early this summer in south Texas, he said: "Holy cr*p, Clemson is a monstrous Juggernaut! Bama still doesn't know what hit them!"

Two national titles in three years for little, ole Clemson. There are a whole lot of people now gone who I wish were still alive to have witnessed this string of success.

Message was edited by: hartins®

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic