Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Tommy Bowden believes 80% deflate footballs in CFB, NFL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Tommy Bowden believes 80% deflate footballs in CFB, NFL

May 24, 2015, 9:12 AM

WATCH: Tommy Bowden believes 80% deflate footballs in CFB, NFL

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder where Tommy's teams fit into that

May 24, 2015, 9:24 AM

percentage he threw out there.

He's a Bowden, isn't he?

May 24, 2015, 6:14 PM

Praise Jesus with one hand and use any trick in the book with the other. (I'd like to think he wasn't as bad as his daddy, but I don't know.)

Tommy kept our balls deflated for ten years !

May 24, 2015, 9:27 AM

Along with our hopes and dreams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alas but also memories of 63 - 17!***

May 24, 2015, 9:34 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy was a soul deflater.***

May 24, 2015, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Tommy kept our balls deflated for ten years ! ]

Oh Tommy...and Clemson was always 4-5 plays per year from a championship.

May 24, 2015, 12:25 PM

His math has always been tricky.

He was no John Beautiful Mind Nash but

May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM

when Tommy would point out how half the other teams in the nation also lost that week, the student in me would applaud!

Tommy also believes

May 24, 2015, 12:47 PM

Shoving you play chart down the front of your pants and holding your head in your hands is an excellent display of leadership.

What game was that pic from

May 24, 2015, 1:33 PM

Wake forest 08?

Pick any number of uninspired performances

May 24, 2015, 1:37 PM

Not sure of the specific crash and burn, but one can assume it involved us losing to a team with less talent.

Unfortunately Tommy's balls deflated when when playing

May 24, 2015, 5:16 PM

Either big time or way lesser competition.

I wish he'd believed in recruiting linemen.

May 24, 2015, 5:28 PM

CJ and James probably do too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He liked his shiny cars. Wish he liked something w/ a hemi

May 24, 2015, 5:32 PM

in it!

We need to give some credit to TB for improving program,

May 24, 2015, 5:36 PM

He just couldn't get over the hump to the next level.
There were some good times in his tenure at Clemson
that seem to be forgotten. Yes, bad ones as well.

True. While I was never a fan, I do acknowledge that.

May 24, 2015, 6:19 PM

however, his lack of a killer instinct along w/ a vision of greatness always disturbed me. (Hence never recruiting the big ugliest up front.) Nick Saben walked in and woke a sleeping giant, just like dabo's doing now. Sorry, that 08 game still sticks in my craw when our shiny fast cars ran into very determined muscle trucks. And don't get me started about playing wake forest. 04 or 08.

Re: True. While I was never a fan, I do acknowledge that.

May 24, 2015, 7:24 PM

Or Duke. The week after we beat a really strong Miami team in the Orange Bowl. When the U still had the Orange Bowl, and were still a legit power program, instead of has-been squatters renting Dolphins Stadium. I still remember Mike O'Cain muttering blearily after that game how "confusing" Duke's defense was. (The hue and outcry on T-net was some kinda deafening, I do remember well. And some folks think we're rough on Jack Leggett. Push the wayback machine and read some posts from back then, it'll turn your head around.)

Tommy's teams had plenty of speed, played a bunch of guys (I don't know if it was actual depth, but by God, we were gonna roll 60+ guys a game whether they could play or not, which was laudable) and often had very good defenses and occasionally explosive offenses. Owing largely to a near-total lack of true Division-I-caliber offensive linemen, and even more importantly, a complete lack of offensive identity after Rich Rod left us, our "shiny fast cars", as a couple of posters mentioned, also tended to look like swallows flying into a sliding-glass door when they encountered stout defensive lines. For an alleged offensive guru that was...unacceptable.

That was Tommy Bowden, and that was exactly the sort of stuff that resulted in the term "Clemsoning". Which we're stuck with, despite the fact that Clemson really hasn't "Clemsoned" that much (at all) under Dabo...in fact, you can argue that aside from the 2011 Orange Bowl, or maybe that inexplicable head-scratching loss in Tally last year - which was mostly just a bunch of unlucky weirdness that all seemingly happened at once, and never really happened again the rest of the year - Clemson's been maybe one of the most consistent teams in college football the last five years. We're pretty much .500 against elite Top-10 teams, and curb-stomp everybody else. Kind of the definition of a consistent program.

Ah, Tommy B. The most frustrating coach Clemson, I think, may have ever had...not because he was terrible or incompetent, just bewilderingly inconsistent, and endlessly inventive in discovering new and appalling ways to lose football games.

Pretty sure all this has been stated ad nauseum

May 24, 2015, 7:27 PM

:)

SUMMARY: Tommy did a lot of good for Clemson football, but it was perfectly clear he reached his pinnacle.

Whoa now, Dabo ain't Nick Saban.

May 24, 2015, 10:37 PM [ in reply to True. While I was never a fan, I do acknowledge that. ]

I know it's a sin to 1) praise anything SEC, and 2) question the Dabo, but that comparison isn't rooted in facts.

The program Dabo took over was in BETTER position to be successful than what Saban inherited at Bama. Bama had 3 different instances of NCAA violations, was clearly the #2 team in the state, the Mike Price fiasco, and was otherwise very down.

It took Saban two years to return Bama to respectability and three to win a NC.

Dabo is still trying to figure out how to beat FSU and South Carolina in the same season.

Re: We need to give some credit to TB for improving program,

May 25, 2015, 10:29 PM [ in reply to We need to give some credit to TB for improving program, ]

Sorry but I don't think Tommy got us to the hump , much less over it . There was some flash and dash , but fundamentally a weak leader and coach . Love him in his current role of analyzing teams and games . He's found his niche .

Says the man who ate grass on the sidelines.***

May 24, 2015, 11:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Tommy Bowden believes 80% deflate footballs in CFB, NFL

May 24, 2015, 11:59 PM

I think the ones who handle the ball on offense (QB/RB/WR) should be able to deflate/manipulate the ball so its playable to their liking...to me deflate-gate should be a non-issue. I do however see how over-inflating a football could be considered cheating on kickoffs/punts/on-side kicks... An overinflated ball is bound to squirt lose while catching/handling any type of kick, as well as when being tackled on the play...If they want to monitor something, it should be for over-inflation on any type of kickoff to an unsuspecting return man...I wonder how many times those ##### have used this strategy during their recent winning streak:P

Who gives a fat rat's #### what Tommy Bowden believes?

May 25, 2015, 6:53 AM

I certainly do not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2015, 10:13 PM

He's probably right to a degree. The college teams are likely pulling as much funny business as the pros when it comes to getting a competitive advantage. Remember the change in performance in the Auburn-FSU National Championship game after FSU started obstructing Auburn's view of FSU's offensive signals?

Whether Auburn truly was stealing signals, only the Tigers know, but it's hard to deny the results. On Florida State's first seven possessions (pre-towels) the Seminoles offense ran 37 plays for 153 yards (4.14 yards per play) and scored 10 points. On their final six drives (post-towels) the Seminoles ran 31 plays for 227 yards (7.32 yards per play) and scored 17 points.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24403220/florida-state-believes-auburn-knew-its-signals

For better or worse, this is part of the game. Everyone's trying to get an advantage, because the payoff is huge.

May 25, 2015, 10:32 PM

I thought kickers were always allowed to call for their favorite balls , usually older softer , almost worn out balls .

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic