Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who wins? This years Clemson team or 95-96 Rick Barnes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Who wins? This years Clemson team or 95-96 Rick Barnes

Feb 19, 2014, 8:49 PM

Clemson team that finished 6th in the ACC, but went to a 64 team NCAA tourney?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

95-96 Rick Barnes***

Feb 19, 2014, 8:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any reasons? Coach, Buckner vs KJ , T McIntyre vs Hall?

Feb 19, 2014, 9:00 PM

I think these teams are similar. Both may finish 6th in the ACC. 1995-96 team finished 7-9 in ACC and made it into the tourney. Why did that team make it and this years squad is not even on the bubble according to Palm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC was considerably better

Feb 19, 2014, 9:03 PM

And we had a few better wins on our resume

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We beat 5 ranked teams that year. ACC was great that year.

Feb 19, 2014, 9:09 PM

Of course we got thumped@ UNC but the win over them in the ACCBBT was huge. We also beat Wake that year and they were ranked like 6. Also, we beat a ranked Duke team in LJ as well as a ranked UVA and GT.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC was better in96? Duke lost to Eastern Michigan in 1st

Feb 19, 2014, 9:10 PM [ in reply to The ACC was considerably better ]

round of ncaa, only 2 teams made it to sweet 16 ( wake and Ga tech)
ACC had no one the caliber of Syracuse in 96

Re: ACC was better in96? Duke lost to Eastern Michigan in 1st

Feb 19, 2014, 9:18 PM

Syracuse is not as good as one may think. They barely beat NCSU and we thumped them. Also, they stole the Duke game. And just lost!!

Don't let your feud with Otto cloud your judgment

Feb 19, 2014, 10:13 PM

Syracuse is a dang good basketball team. Probably one of the top 4 teams, if not the #1 team in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Don't let your feud with Otto cloud your judgment

Feb 19, 2014, 10:20 PM

F&(@;!! OTTO! He has nothing to do with this!! I can assure you that he/she/it is not worth my time.....

Or so I claim.....

Interesting. I'd love to see KJ vs. Buckner

Feb 19, 2014, 8:57 PM

This years team is just so scrappy defensively. Wonder who could guard McIntyre. And this year's team wouldn't match up well against the bigs of Harold Jamison and Tom Wideman.

Re: Interesting. I'd love to see KJ vs. Buckner

Feb 19, 2014, 8:59 PM

each in their prime that would be an interesting match up

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great question, but gotta go with the Slab 5.

Feb 19, 2014, 9:03 PM

Wow, that has been nearly 20 years ago?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great question, but gotta go with the Slab 5.

Feb 19, 2014, 9:47 PM

Yep, can't believe it was 20 years ago. That was a fun time for me watching Clemson basketball. I remember in Rick Barnes first year, I think (maybe 2nd), he went up to Durham and beat Duke. Clemson was probably predicted to lose by 30 that night.

Barnes was a very good basketball coach. Lot of exciting games. We should had beaten Minnesota in tourney that one year. I felt we would had beaten UCLA in the next round and made it to the final 4.

Re: Re: Great question, but gotta go with the Slab 5.

Feb 19, 2014, 10:43 PM

Actually we lost @ Cameron that year by 30 but beat em in LJ. And we lost to Jawga in round one of the tourney.

I believe you're thinking of the next season.

Re: Re: Great question, but gotta go with the Slab 5.

Feb 20, 2014, 12:10 AM

In Ricks first year, we went up to Duke and won 75-70 and that was while Coach K was still coaching. Coach Gaudet then shortly after took over as interim coach for Duke when Coach K took a leave due to his back. But Clemson went up to Duke in Rick Barnes first season with the likes of Merl Code, Iturbe, Raefield Ragland, Harder and Buckner and won that game. They then beat Duke again a month or two later in Little John.

What he did that first season was a pretty good coaching job.

Was it his comment about the public schools that has everyone upset about him?

Right, in 94-95 season we beat Duke twice in Barnes1st season

Feb 20, 2014, 12:23 AM

But given that we're talking 95-96 it is what it is. A solid team. A team that could win a few at home. We were good but couldn't advance. But I followed those guys into several matchups where we were overwhelmed and won.

Re: Right, in 94-95 season we beat Duke twice in Barnes1st season

Feb 20, 2014, 5:40 PM

Yes, I was off on the year :) But I just knew that we didn't have a great team (talent wise) and he went up to Durham and won.

I was a junior in high school and caught the end of the game on the radio (I miss Jim Phillips). My dad had just gotten home late from work and I ran to the other end of the house to give him the news and he couldn't believe it. He had told someone at lunch that day that he figured Clemson would lose by 30. He said we have us a very good coach.

People may bash me but I would take Rick Barnes back in a heart beat. Exciting basketball was played during his tenure. Would had liked to had seen what he could had done with the Senior class of Boogie, Jamison, etc that Shyatt basically screwed up.

Even Widemen and Iker and big O (always felt with his size that he could had been more dominant) were not the most talented players and Barnes went far with those guys.

He took on Dean Smith--that was enough

Feb 20, 2014, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Great question, but gotta go with the Slab 5. ]

for me to overlook the school comment.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: He took on Dean Smith--that was enough

Feb 20, 2014, 5:42 PM

School comment never bothered me. I was, I guess a junior at Wofford College at that time and I remember the comment and felt he was absolutely correct. He certainly should had just kept that to himself. Although he didn't say anything that wasn't false.

Slab 5 was 94-95 and made the NIT. Great win on road

Feb 20, 2014, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Great question, but gotta go with the Slab 5. ]

that year in Durham. 95-96 had great freshmen class and made NCAAs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes team by 10***

Feb 19, 2014, 9:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Slab 5 was tough!

Feb 19, 2014, 10:22 PM

Guys like Tom Wideman had no problem knocking guys on their ###. Barnes would volunteer to do the same to Dean Smith (bonus points for that).

Brownell is doing a good job, though. Clemson needs to decide to care about basketball before we can expect better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This year's team by 15 - not even close***

Feb 19, 2014, 11:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This year's team by 15 - not even close***

Feb 19, 2014, 11:24 PM

Based on what? KJ? He is elite but that team was kinda good.

You really think Hall could guard Terrell?

Or Nnoko and Djitte could force Jamison and Wideman outta the lane?

I fully support this year's squad but that team was exceptional. I wish the matchup could occur but it's all just debatable. But I'd give the nod to that team in 95-96. And there's also a starter from that team who remains overlooked. And he was pretty good.

Re: This year's team by 15 - not even close***

Feb 20, 2014, 11:37 AM

Jamison wasn't much of a threat offensively his freshman year. Kept trying to lay it in the basket. His sophmore year he decided to just dunk it and God have mercy on the soul of any many that got in his way. He was probably the best 6` 7" plus athlete to attend clemson regardless of sport.

We,were much better in 95-96. Are you thinking of

Feb 20, 2014, 6:18 AM [ in reply to This year's team by 15 - not even close*** ]

94-95 slab 5?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely 95-96 - attended every home game

Feb 20, 2014, 12:31 AM

It was exciting to beat some very good teams; and, LJ was certainly more active with fans.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I think Barnes ignited the excitement. Both teams are/were

Feb 20, 2014, 6:43 AM

defensive minded. McIntyre added a level of excitement we don't currently have, but other than Barnes and McIntyre I think these squads are similar. Littlejohn Should be rocking this year but isn't. I think coach Brownell has to pull a stunt like Barnes to get our fans fired up.

This team would foul them out in the first half.***

Feb 20, 2014, 4:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1995-1996 team was in the top-25 for parts of the season

Feb 20, 2014, 4:41 PM

and although RPI didn't exist, basketballreference.com's rating system had them as the 32nd best team that year. This year the same site has us rated as the 57th best team.

The 1995-1996 team was 11-0 before they had to deal with the season-ending injury to leading scorer Merl Cody. It would have been interesting to see how far the team could have gone had they kept him all season.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic