Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who will replace Coach K and Williams?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Who will replace Coach K and Williams?

Mar 22, 2019, 10:10 PM

One is 68 and the other is 72. Hard to replace legends whether you like them or not. Maybe then the rest of the ACC will have a chance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know who it won’t be.....***

Mar 22, 2019, 10:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

continue...***

Mar 22, 2019, 10:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Tommy West***

Mar 24, 2019, 11:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Who will replace Coach K and Williams?

Mar 22, 2019, 10:24 PM

There are no obvious heirs apparent. When Dean Smith was old and nearing retirement, Roy Williams was already prestious at Kansas. Even though they gave it to Guthridge and Doherty first, it always seemed likely that Roy would come home at some point.

Neither program have a coaching tree candidate out there of the stature Williams was at Kansas. Hopefully they’ll give it to people like Capel and Wojo and fail miserably.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much anybody those......

Mar 22, 2019, 10:30 PM

two schools want.

Re: Pretty much anybody those......

Mar 22, 2019, 10:35 PM

I doubt it. First they’ll want someone from “in the family”.

Also, I don’t see Jay Wright, Mark Few, etc. leaving their current jobs to follow legends where they’ll never measure up in the eyes of their fans.

Maybe administrations are finally wising up to the "in the

Mar 24, 2019, 9:47 AM

family" stuff. It almost never works. And that really shouldn't be surprising - eliminating ~90% of potential candidates for no reason at all obviously diminishes your chances of hiring a great coach significantly.

Mar 22, 2019, 10:44 PM

Bill Self or this guy at UNC …

https://keepingitheel.com/2019/02/11/unc-basketball-the-man-behind-roy-williams/

CBS article on Coach K …

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/evaluating-mike-krzyzewskis-future-at-duke-and-the-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-k/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Self could be in trouble soon.

Mar 24, 2019, 9:49 AM

I don't know if it will actually happen, but Kansas has been linked to the FBI/Adidas scandal multiple times.

Re: Self could be in trouble soon.

Mar 24, 2019, 11:50 AM

Hey wait a minute - if Self were to come to either UNC or Duke - his FBI/Adidas troubles would magically disappear in a heartbeat.

Heel fans like coach at UNC-G***

Mar 22, 2019, 10:54 PM

Mar 22, 2019, 11:17 PM

Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson

Mar 22, 2019, 11:24 PM

Wes Miller from UNC G is being groomed. Needs to take the next step and win the So-Con again and win a tourney game.

Jeff Capel at Duke if he build Pitt back.

One rumor has Jon Scheyer providing a seamless transition but he has no head coaching experience.
You also have Dawkins, Collins Wojo, Hurley and Amaker all have head coaching experience

Most of those K assistants that have HC experience

Mar 24, 2019, 10:05 AM

had poor to mediocre success in their previous jobs.

Dawkins - 1 NCAAT in 8 years at Stanford and 1 in 3 years so far at UCF. Clemson fans want to fire Brad for making 2 in 9 years so how do you think Duke fans feel about a coach that has made 2 in 11 years?

Capel - Had two good years (with Blake Griffin) at OU but was 8 games under .500 in his other three with the Sooners. VCU tenure before that was solid, but not exceptional. We will see how he does at Pitt, but his HC resume is very lackluster to be a candidate for the Duke job.

Amaker - 1 NCAAT in 10 years at Seton Hall and Michigan. That's not good considering those are both pretty good jobs. He's had a pretty good run at Harvard, but his results there have fallen off a little bit since the 4 straight NCAAT's from 2012-2015. Not a bad coach, but this is the Duke job we are talking about.

Hurley - He's made 3 tournaments in 6 years at Buffalo and ASU including two in a row now with the Sun Devils. He's more intriguing to me than the previous three coaches because he's a bit more of an open book. I feel like we kind of know what the other guys are at this point and none of them are Duke quality. Hurley has only been a HC for 6 years so he still has time to blossom into a great coach.

Wojo - He's made 2 tournaments in 5 years at Marquette, but he has won a game in either of them and he's been noticeably less successful than Buzz Williams was in the same position. Buzz made the NCAAT 5/6 years at Marquette and made an elite eight and two sweet 16s. It's hard to make a case that Wojo > Buzz so why should Duke seriously consider him?

I can pretty much sum this up by saying that NONE of these guys would even be mentioned as candidates for the Duke job if they hadn't played and coached at Duke under Coach K. None of them are qualified for that level of job and to be perfectly honest, i think it would be pretty foolish of Duke to hire any of them right now when there are surely more qualified candidates out there.

BTW there's also Quin Snyder who's probably the

Mar 24, 2019, 10:09 AM

most qualified of any of these guys, but he a) currently has an NBA job, and b) has a few skeletons in his closet.

Johnny Dawkins at Duke***

Mar 22, 2019, 11:22 PM

Don't know about Williams, but...

Mar 23, 2019, 12:02 AM
RatFace.jpg(82.5 K)

Antichrist and False Prophet***

Mar 23, 2019, 12:06 AM

Re: Antichrist and False Prophet***

Mar 23, 2019, 7:18 AM

Taking this to mean you’re in the “not a fan” column.

Cheer for the meteor everyday

Mar 23, 2019, 8:22 AM

??

Mar 23, 2019, 8:51 AM

Coach K has parts replaced every summer. They've discussed his hips and knees, but having full access to Duke Hospital, they could be doing more than they make public. He will be there forever.

Mar 23, 2019, 9:19 AM

Christian Latiner and Michael Jordan?
You may not like them, but they meet your criteria for being legends.

Two unfortunate souls tgat will never measure up

Mar 23, 2019, 9:25 AM

At least at Duke. It will be a tough transition of power. Like Ford and Hatfield

Imagine The Amount Of

Mar 23, 2019, 2:31 PM

cutthroat backstabbing that will go on between Coach K's ex players who are now coaches to get that position.

Mar 23, 2019, 3:14 PM

Maybe Hubert Davis at UNC. No idea at Duke.

Mar 23, 2019, 8:18 PM

Rashad McCants is a lock to replace Roy W; they have a lot of history.

Wojo appears to be the most likely candidate to replace

Mar 23, 2019, 9:27 PM

Coach K but could change by that time.

Most likely candidate to replace Roy is coachmac.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Mar 24, 2019, 8:07 AM

DRad better lock up Brownlee long term. I see tobacco road calling soon.

No I don't believe this, nobody ever comes after Brad.

The best that money can buy, as with everything at those 2

Mar 24, 2019, 11:02 AM

schools.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 24, 2019, 12:08 PM

I doubt he'd ever - EVER go - but if either of those 2 schools were really smart, they'd offer DABO a 25-year guaranteed contract @ $35-million annually. He'd retire with multiple football Natties (Clemson) & 12-15 basketball championships.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic