Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who remembers Green Stamps and the stores?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Who remembers Green Stamps and the stores?

Jan 28, 2020, 9:59 AM

I was talking to my wife this morning and she wants a new blender and I said, "better save up those green stamps". She looked at me like I was insane. I then had to spend 10 minutes explaining to her what green stamps were and going to the stamp store to buy things.

Good Memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're called Greenbax down here in God's country.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:01 AM

RIP Piggly Wiggly

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up in Western NC and we called them

Jan 28, 2020, 10:03 AM

Green Stamps. So I guess it goes either way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I played a slot machine based off those once.***

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ya missed the target red card deal

for the ninja professional for $99

https://www.target.com/p/ninja-professional-1200w-kitchen-system-bl685/-/A-44363628

Highly recommend. It's big but with a house your size shouldn't be an issue.

He's got Vitamix $$$***

Jan 28, 2020, 10:09 AM

Dude is making bank. He can just go to the smoothie store

Jan 28, 2020, 10:13 AM [ in reply to ya missed the target red card deal ]

instead of getting one dirty and having to clean it.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to hang out with the bass player from

Jan 28, 2020, 10:07 AM

Green Stamps and the Stores. Cool guy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:15 AM

I'll never forget my Dad taking me to the Green Stamp store in RH to get this bad boy so I could record songs by putting the microphone next to the speaker on the transistor radio.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We did Top Value yellow stamps

Jan 28, 2020, 10:17 AM

Most of the time because that’s what Community Cash gave out. I only remember going across town to the green stamp store once.

I was in charge of sticking the stamps and got to use 50% for me. I think my first baseball glove came from the yellow stamp store.

My grannie collected Tube Rose Snuff coupons. They worked the same way but you had to mail them in to get stuff out of a catalogue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

RH had both a Top Value and an S&H store.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:24 AM

But that's to be expected of such a metropolitan city.

Those are what I remember.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to We did Top Value yellow stamps ]

Folks who live in Charleston might remember the Pantry Pride in West Nasty. It was in the same shopping center that Woolco was in (that Burlington coat factory later used). I remember my mother going grocery shopping there and she'd let me collect those stamps and put them in the books to redeem cheap toys.

Wow that was a recall from a long since used part of my memory.

After Woolco in RH closed, we had to go to Charlotte

Jan 28, 2020, 10:28 AM

to hit up Service Merchandise. The anticipation of waiting for your stuff to come out on the conveyor belt made it so worth it.

it was Sam Solomon before Service Merchandise

Jan 28, 2020, 10:33 AM

yes, those conveyors were an awesome spectacle.

Yes sir.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:54 AM

When those catalogs came in the mail, you could spend tens of thousands of dollars....WITH YOUR MIND.

Hey, how bout those conveyors at the old Kash & Karry on

Jan 28, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to it was Sam Solomon before Service Merchandise ]

Buncombe Rd? You cashed in empty coke bottles and put em on this conveyor belt, and watched in amazement as they disappeared down into the abyss... LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

yeah, but

Jan 28, 2020, 10:46 AM [ in reply to After Woolco in RH closed, we had to go to Charlotte ]

that wait for my Kraco 8-track was SO worth it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who remembers Green Stamps and the stores?

Jan 28, 2020, 10:22 AM

I remember them, but don't recall why people got them. What are they food stamps basically?

Jan 28, 2020, 10:26 AM

They were loyalty/rewards program. You got stamps based on your purchase amounts and then traded them in on items at the store after you told people on the internet about this smoking hot chick that totally wanted you but wouldn't provide pics.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:31 AM

Hahaha....oh those ones.

Oh yeah, that brings back memories. My mom was a S&H green

Jan 28, 2020, 10:30 AM

stamp master. Spent many a night pasting those suckers into the books as a kid in the 60s. I remember the S&H Store where you cashed em in, it was somewhere on North Main, at the top of a hill... past Thomas McAfee Funeral Home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember helping my mom glue them in books

Jan 28, 2020, 10:31 AM

with a wet sponge. Then every once in awhile loading up the family wagon on a special Saturday morning for a trip to the city with one of the highlighted stops being the "Greenbax Store" to cash those books in on a new floor heater, or bathroom scales, always something terrible. I always wanted a bow and arrow, or a hatchet, something I could use, but that never happened. I think we got a croquet set one time, but that was a boring game.

When I was a kid, one of the absolute life highlights was getting to go to the city, maybe twice a year. We'd go to K-Mart where you could buy everything in the entire world, eat hamburgers at this fancy place called McDonalds, and yes, stop at the Greenbax store, where we could get stuff without any money, just those stamps. I couldn't sleep the night before those trips. And I would brag to all my schoolmates the Monday after that I had a McDonalds hamburger.

Crazy how big and amazing the world is to a 12 year old kid from the country.

Re: remember helping my mom glue them in books

Jan 28, 2020, 10:36 PM

I can totally relate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deer Lawd...

Jan 28, 2020, 10:33 AM

How old are you? Pigs of your too young wife. As for me

Carlsbad and other youngsters...no, nothing like food stamps.

Jan 28, 2020, 10:42 AM

More like a "cash back" kinda thing. You go to Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly and spend $40 on groceries. That dollar amount meant you got so many stamps, they handed them to you with the receipt. You go home and throw em in a kitchen drawer or a box and let em collect up. Then when you have a shit-ton, you sit down and start pasting them into the S&H books. Just like postage stamps. Then you went to the S&H Store and cashed em in. 14 full books got you an ironing board, 6 books got you a frying pan, etc.

and looking through the catalog was like Sears Christmas

Jan 28, 2020, 10:48 AM

catalog. So many choices.

Found a 1975 catalog online. Awesomeness.
https://flashbak.com/livin-the-dream-with-green-stamps-a-1975-catalog-26187/

The Aaron's Rental place on Patton Avenue is the location

Jan 28, 2020, 10:52 AM

that S&H was at back in the day.

Now I want this to come back.

Jan 28, 2020, 12:50 PM

I'm a big fan of loyalty programs.

I stopped going to Subway for years when they stopped the stamps. Only started back due to convince.
I stopped going to Moe's as well. I go more since they got theirs back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic