Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is the best college baseball coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Who is the best college baseball coach?

Feb 8, 2014, 8:19 PM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is the best college baseball coach?

Feb 8, 2014, 8:35 PM

Oppps ;) Jack Leggett is when the T-Net crowd isn't firing him.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya know

Feb 8, 2014, 9:03 PM

I actually love this question. Some would say Texas' Auggie Garrido if you base it on championships. He's won at two different schools and built Cal State Fullerton in to a power before moving on. He's had some legal troubles (DUI?) and is very old, don't know how much longer he'll do it.

Jack is top 5 dead or alive. Look at who has learned under him, the trips to Omaha. He's not going anywhere soon(from his own mouth), but needs to win acc this year and win a title one of these trips to Omaha.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ya know

Feb 8, 2014, 10:33 PM

I agree with you. Today some of my friends were talking about this and Auggie Garrido and Jacks was brought up several times. A few of my friends even said the Oregon state coach is also at the top of the list.

Re: Re: Ya know

Feb 8, 2014, 11:00 PM

My top 5

1. Augie Garrido
2. Wayne Graham
3. Pat Casey
4. Brian O Connor
5. Jim Morris

Honorable mention: Tim Corbin, Paul Maineri, Mike Martin, Dave Van Horn, Danny Hall, Gary Gilmore, Jack Leggett

Feb 8, 2014, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Ya know ]

Please tell me why you think Jack is top 5. Sometimes he has trouble being top 5 in his own conference.

Feb 9, 2014, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Ya know ]

How in the hell do you say Jack is top 5 dead or alive?

No National Titles and very few Conference Titles.

Jack is a great coach but he is far from elite. Elite coaches win Championships.

null

And

Feb 9, 2014, 12:35 AM

Throw Ron Polk in there...winningest sec coach by far.

Feb 9, 2014, 8:15 AM

I think he is the AD at USUC.

Feb 9, 2014, 12:34 PM

And another pathetic Chicken fan too ashamed by his own school to get a USC screen name

null

Winning

Feb 9, 2014, 12:08 PM

Two championships with plug and play guys from juco, over recruiting, and oh yea...they found this guy Roth on the bench, listed as a first baseman, let him pitch when they were out of arms in the CWS for his first appearance(against Clemson) and they didn't even know they had the best pitcher in CWS history. How do you not know you've got the best pitcher in the country? Is that the best coach? Who has learned and prospered under Tanner? Jucos, stadium, and finding their golden egg sitting on the bench, does not make you a good coach.

Re: Winning

Feb 9, 2014, 12:41 PM

Yea, Jack is waaaay better than Tanner. Ray is just lucky as hell. I mean, he's only been to Omaha 6 times, played for the title 4 times and won it twice. Oh and when he retired, he's tied with Mike Martin for most super regional appearances. And lastly, he's won more games in Omaha than Clemson has in its history. Leggett is def better.

Re: Winning

Feb 9, 2014, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Winning ]

GTFO with that nonsense.

null

Players

Feb 9, 2014, 1:58 PM

win games, if you had no idea the best pitcher not only on your team, in the sec, or in the country, and the best pitcher on CWS history was riding the bench, listed as a first baseman...how do you call yourself a good coach? Any of them on that staff, Holbrook included. It would be like Oklahoma having Adrian Peterson riding the bench listed at safety. What? Would that make Stoops a great coach?

Re: Players

Feb 9, 2014, 2:34 PM

Seriously man please reply properly.

"Luck" is a bull #### term made up by losers to make themselves feel better about losing.

"They only beat us because they were lucky"

That is BS and nonsense.

null

NewTigerEra

Feb 9, 2014, 2:04 PM

I would say it was a great coaching job to start a first baseman as a pitcher.

I said nothing

Feb 9, 2014, 3:16 PM

About "luck", Roth is the best pitcher in the history of sc baseball and the CWS. They did not decide to start him all the sudden in the CWS, they had to start him. He could've done so much more had he started earlier. He is the single player most responsible for their success in the 2 championship years. But if you want to crown Tanner go ahead. They already have in cootlumbia, making him AD.

### , sos is going to be the next usuc president, i assume .

Feb 9, 2014, 3:21 PM

they only liked tanner, they absolutely love slurrier !

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I said nothing

Feb 9, 2014, 5:57 PM [ in reply to I said nothing ]

So which is better, have Roth (from Riverside), used as a reliever/DH) and then use him as a starting pitcher his JR/SR year or don't recruit him at all...you must not keep up with baseball

Our next coach.

Feb 9, 2014, 3:24 PM

That's humor.

NOT a dig at Jack.

I guarantee

Feb 9, 2014, 6:03 PM

I'm more on top of baseball than you in this state and beyond. I'm not following the logic or lack thereof from your blurb. What are you saying? That cu is at fault somehow? Explain.

Re: I guarantee

Feb 9, 2014, 6:07 PM

Since you know so much, you do know Roth had the most appearances for Carolina his Soph year.. And the guy you say is a top 5 coach, didn't even recruit him. That would be like being the coach of Aiken Univ and not recruiting William Perry.

Yea

Feb 9, 2014, 6:17 PM

Well did scar recruit Kris Benson? Overall #1 pick? What's your point? If it's anything other than Roth was a surprise nobody expected to accomplish what he did, probably including himself. I guess you're the genius that saw it coming, and Leggett is at fault for not personally recruiting a soft throwing lefty who wasn't even sure if he'd pitch in college. C'mon man!

Re: Yea

Feb 9, 2014, 6:24 PM

Benson isn't from Columbia..Roth is from the upstate. You made the point that Roth was listed as a 1st Baseman and my point was, he lead the team in appearances as a pitcher.

Re: Yea

Feb 9, 2014, 6:26 PM

You're blaming Tanner for not playing him, yet it's ok for Leggett not to recruit him (soft throwing lefty). You make zero sense.

I

Feb 9, 2014, 8:57 PM

Learned a long time ago not to argue with idiots. Probably lucky Roth wasn't discovered on the mound earlier, he didn't have to risk being overworked like they did half of scar's staff right out the gate under Tanner.

You are senseless if you think anyone had a clue about what Roth would become. He got recruited like almost everyone from RHS did back then.

Everyone had him pegged as more of a 1B...that could give you some innings in a pinch, not one of the best to ever do it in college . Look:

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=43267

Listed as 1B primary position. If CU would've taken him back then jack would've been berated. SCar consistently over recruits, so they should get credit as a coaching staff for finding a Golden Horseshoe up their arses. Riiiight. I'm done.

Re: I

Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM

You stated "how do you not know you have the best pitcher in CWS history"... My point is, he was a Sophmore. Are u 12?

Re: I

Feb 9, 2014, 10:44 PM [ in reply to I ]

This thread is humorous just because this newtigerera guy is making himself look stupider and stupider. Classic - make an idiotic post and keep digging a bigger hole for yourself trying to defend it!!

And my point

Feb 9, 2014, 11:02 PM

is, he was not even recognized as a college pitcher, and scar was not championship caliber club until they stumbled upon the guy at the end of the dugout because they were out of pitching his sophomore year. He did the same things as a sophomore as he did when he was an established senior, so your point is moot, and judging by your pulse you've yet to establish many points if any. Roth threw mid 80's as a senior, got to pro ball and hit 90+, must of been scar coaching! Maybe it's time you and your buddy go back to fgf where the river of cockshit flows like the Nile.

Nice try though.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic