Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You can have your own opinion but not your own facts.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 581

You can have your own opinion but not your own facts.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpso3vhZtw

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-u-steel-workers-wages-rise-14-percent-195951157--finance.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3.5% per yr. adjusted for 2.5% inflation ... not bad but not

Oct 21, 2018, 10:06 AM

a game changer. The company paid health care benefits are probably a bigger deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and do you know who is paying for this?,

Oct 21, 2018, 10:31 AM

hint it is not Canada, Europe, or china. And did you also know that more people will be adversely effected by this than it will help?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is gonna pay for this, Flower ?

Oct 21, 2018, 10:35 PM

Tell us! Prove to us it's a 10 Million Dollar Executive, and not some brokedick architect grad like yourself who couldn't pass Bob Nowack's Statics class...

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Yep, facts is facts:

Oct 21, 2018, 12:03 PM

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/here-are-202-companies-hurt-trumps-tariffs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...break and egg...bake a cake...

Oct 21, 2018, 12:16 PM

When the trade agreements are finished the tariffs will disappear and those folks can return to their jobs. In the meanwhile there's plenty of other work out there. I know you're familiar with the unemployment numbers and reports that there are many job which have not been filled.

At least Trump isn't asking folks to give up their jobs permanently with proclamations that they will never return.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/06/05/news/economy/job-openings-unemployed-workers/index.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So where do we get workers to fill those job openings?***

Oct 21, 2018, 1:14 PM

Re: So where do we get workers to fill those job openings?***

Oct 21, 2018, 4:04 PM

They are out there. As the demand starts taking its toll on the stockholders bottom line the wages will increase. This is the plan. As wages increase more people will declare themselves ready to work. What we have is a nation with too many welfare dependents. Teenagers and young people who can get by without working with the benefits of our social programs.

I promise, when the Dollar General starts paying people 12 bucks/hr good help will show up and do the jobs right. Same with Micky Ds and Hardees. Factory workers will get raises and American who can see past the end of their noses will understand that a rising tide lifts all boats.

You know al those unemployed manufacturing workers over the years?

Oct 21, 2018, 8:19 PM

They were on welfare too.

People typically aren’t willing to move or learn a new skill to find the jobs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ...break and egg...bake a cake...

Oct 21, 2018, 10:43 PM [ in reply to ...break and egg...bake a cake... ]

https://imgur.com/a/kwEv041

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry....but that's not how it generally works...

Oct 22, 2018, 8:18 AM [ in reply to ...break and egg...bake a cake... ]

jobs just don't instantly return in most businesses. Jobs are generally lost when market share is lost or the market demand reduces. Neither one of those things changes back quickly if the tariffs are reduced.

I'm currently losing market share to Mexican and Canadian competitors. Many of these large contracts we're losing are 3 to 5 year contracts, so they won't even bid again for many years unless our competition screws up. Another large part of our market are smaller companies that buy on relationship...they went looking for other sources when we were forced to take our prices up. They aren't just going to instantly switch back to us because we're nice guys.

Lemme tell you somp'n Giblet..I see

Oct 21, 2018, 10:42 PM [ in reply to Yep, facts is facts: ]

that for every program that I work on, every electronics buyer telling me ' electronics tariff pending." So, buyer have you a second option to circumvent??? Or, open up your biddiers for vendors can delivery!

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Holy ####, you have a job?***

Oct 22, 2018, 10:52 AM

Re: You can have your own opinion but not your own facts.

Oct 21, 2018, 2:42 PM

I agree with your emphasis on facts, but you need to look at all the facts. And that includes looking at the American jobs that are suffering downstream from steel production.

Many more jobs are hurt by tariffs than helped.

Incidentally, it's wild that Republicans are supporting federal intervention in the free market, and specifically intervention via raising tariffs, which are taxes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know that you know this is temporary.

Oct 21, 2018, 7:28 PM

We knew that there would be some suffering while the tariffs were being used to renegotiate our trade agreements. We also know that those trade agreements are the reason so many of our jobs were exported.

You and I know that when this is over we will be much better off than we've been since we signed NAFTA and we allowed jobs to be exported there and to China.

Oct 21, 2018, 3:51 PM

"You will never see 3% growth again"

"I take credit for Trumps 4% economic growth"

Typical do-nothing politician. He fooled everyone.

Oct 21, 2018, 6:50 PM

You know what I love about you? You are so ignorantly adorable. You at proud to be ignorant? Way to go. There are only 2 people on here dumber and here than you and the are dumber than dirt. We have Xtiger and APM and you. I am embarrassed to say we are from the same country. They make fun you abroad and you are dead on what they make fun of. You are international joke. Yu are an ignorant clown. I read your last 10 posts. What is wrong wiith you?

I've been praying for you. You moved up just behind my ex.

Oct 21, 2018, 7:33 PM

You're still ahead of Cat even though he regularly calls me a racist. I'm glad you're back. It seems like a week since you've posted here and I was about to move you up past my ex on the list.

Those who are laughing are probably in all those countries which we are forcing to comply with our trade demands. We'll see who laughs last.

Re: I've been praying for you. You moved up just behind my ex.

Oct 22, 2018, 6:34 AM

Well, I definitely don't think you are racist. I do know that I read some of your posts while travelling. What are you trying to pick my slack for being a jerk while I was gone? I purposely try to be combative. That's not you, or hasn't been you. Calm down. You're supposed to be level headed. Now you are starting trouble and divisive. That's not you. That's me and Tesla.

Politics is just a game for me.

Oct 22, 2018, 10:51 AM

I know this is a soft toss to people who don't share my opinion but I use this forum to pass the time and help an old man keep his mind working. I'm glad the general lefty believes that my side of the isle is evil. I can handle that, stupid pisses me off.

Either way, I pray for my family every night, it keeps me from killing them. That's how you guys make the list. When I realize I'm angry at one of you, being that I know exactly how to resolve and dissipate that anger, I pray. Prayer isn't for just your friend. It's for those who the Bible calls your enemies. I certainly don't consider any Clemson fan my enemy, why else would I be here so often? I certainly consider all of you my friend.

Yeah, I troll sometimes. I love to read the spin and figure out what the spin doctors are missing and talk to them. Some don't even respect me enough to argue. I'm ashamed to be ignored and I doubt that anyone thinks I'm too much to handle. I hope no one thinks I'm too sensitive to handle a little criticism because everyone should know, I above all here an willing to apologize for errors in my words which reflect any semblance of deception. I would disappoint everyone if I didn't.

Yes, steel workers are going to get a raise, but...

Oct 22, 2018, 8:00 AM

do you think the overall impact to the economy is net positive because of the tariffs? I sure as heck don't.

Anecdotally...based on what I see...the tariffs are having a serious net negative impact in my industry. I've posted on this before on here, but the tariffs are seriously hurting my company.

Just in Sept, we took a direct hit from the tariffs of $105k...meaning my plant paid $105k in tariffs. There is no us-made steel available (for the type that we buy). In addition to that, the commodity price is up roughly 15% since the tariffs were enacted...so that is another $60k or so in additional material costs last month in steel alone. Those are big numbers for a company of our size and turned what would have normally been a profitable month into a month with a slight loss.

All the while, our competitor in Mexico is slashing pricing and taking market share knowing that we can't react. They don't pay the tariff on the steel they buy, so right off the bat, they get a sizable advantage on material cost, to go along with their advantage on labor, overhead, regulation, taxes, etc...

Our story is similar to many/most in the electrical machinery sector.

And please don't believe that the only way to negotiate better trade deals is to make our people suffer in the short-time. That is simple B.S.

Tariffs are bad.

Oct 22, 2018, 11:11 AM

If I thought the tariffs were being used for other than yanking the world's chain I'd be pitching a fit.

I look at them like a club. One which is intended to let our trade partners know that the customer is always right. That's how you and I live and it's how most other business in this country operate.

There's one thing I've learned about the American Government. If they are giving you something they are going to have influence over your life in some fashion or another. Our gov doesn't give without getting because it is greedy with our citizenry. We tolerate our gov taking from us and giving to others. We can't afford for our government to take from us and give to someone half way around the world anymore.

Tariffs are the magic wand. Magically, Mexico came to the table in need of another agreement and the tariffs came down. Magically, against all Obama told America, Canada followed, the tariffs ended and the EU is ready to make a deal...

"We're starting the negotiations now, but we pretty much where they're going," the U.S. president said, also adding that all "retaliatory" tariffs would be taken down.

"This was a good, constructive meeting, thank you, Donald," Juncker said, echoing the announcement Trump made.

"This was a very big day for free and fair trade," Trump added before leaving without taking questions.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/07/25/president_trump_makes_trade_announcement_with_ec_president_junker.html

So no. I believe there's reason to think that all the tariffs will return to nothing or near to nothing and we'll have free trade which benefits the entire country and not the entire world.

That is not the only way to get to the kinds of deals we...

Oct 22, 2018, 11:48 AM

need. Especially not what has been an ever-escalating situation with China.

At the very least, there could have been a phase-in and/or communication of the plan far enough out where US producers could have reacted in enough time (speaking of steel here). Instead, the tariffs drove up steel prices PLUS the tariff overnight for many companies. We saw a net result 40% increase in our steel costs in less than 2 weeks start to finish.

Like many of the Trump admin's actions, I might be inclined to agree with them in principle, but the execution is horrendous. We spent considerable time and effort chasing steel sources around from Canada, to Japan, to South Korea because the policy was rolled-out haphazardly and it changed on a daily basis.

It's the quickest and most effective.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:42 AM

Perhaps we can agree to disagree. I'm the type of person who cuts straight to the point. It's my business model. Make the offer and let the customer make the decision. Simple, straightforward and quick. I like the way Trump works.

https://www.rt.com/business/441987-merkel-us-lng-germany/

"“We’re creating jobs and we’re also deepening the trans-Atlantic relationship. The US is totally committed to bringing US LNG to Europe and to Germany,” US Ambassador to Germany Richard A. Grenell said, as quoted by the WSJ..."

Replies: 23
| visibility 581
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic