Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who gets left out of the playoffs under this scenario
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Who gets left out of the playoffs under this scenario

Sep 11, 2017, 11:09 AM

SEC Champ- Bama (undefeated)
Big12 Champ- Okla (undefeated)
Pac10 Champ - USC (undefeated)
ACC Champ - Clemson (1-loss); lets assume the loss is to somebody decent, but not great like NC State
Big 10 Champ - Ohio State (1-loss which was to Okla)

Ohio State would have the better loss, but would we have any equity being the defending champs that would allow the committee to pick us over them?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who gets left out of the playoffs under this scenario

Sep 11, 2017, 11:13 AM

Let's just say we better hope that doesn't happen.

very difficult to say at this point as the committee equally

Sep 11, 2017, 11:14 AM

looks at the wins. A 1 loss team could (very unlikely) get in ahead of an undefeated team if that undefeated teams' wins were all against a bunch of 6 to 8 win teams.

The correct answer is Louisville...

They are always left out of the playoffs. Always.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

USC will never make it undefeated. They aren't that good. Multiple losses ahead for them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 things: Those 3 won't be undefeated & OhSt will lose again***

Sep 11, 2017, 11:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe

Sep 11, 2017, 11:24 AM

I feel pretty good about Bama going undefeated. The SEC's got nothing this year. USC will be heavily favored in the rest of their games but I suppose they could slip up. Okla pretty much just has the game vs Okla St.

The TV networks have to set these teams up to fail by making them play night road games. That's usually how the best teams get their losses.

Sep 11, 2017, 11:26 AM

Ohio State looks like a 2-3 loss team to me, so I don't think we have to worry about this.

How did the Rest of the conference do?

Sep 11, 2017, 11:37 AM

If ok st bombs during the season, ok will only have osu.

If luisville, fsu, auburn only have 1-2 loss then clemson can hang their hat on 3 good wins.

Then it depends On who is in the champ games. If clemson beats an undefeated Miami team....they are in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

WHY ARE YOU CONCEDING LOSSES?***

Sep 11, 2017, 11:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2017, 11:51 AM

I agree with the comments, but I'll play along in your scenario. It would help to know how the other B1G teams that OSU plays finish out, but presently, they would beat the 5, 7, and (presumably West champ) 10 ranked teams. That's 3 top 10 wins and 1 top 10 loss. Of course, with the loss to OSU each would fall, so we'd have to see where they would ultimately end up.

Clemson just beat a 13 now ranked 15, and has a fringe top 10 team (currently 11), 14, and 16 left to play. Again, we'd have to see where they are at the end of the year. If you're assuming their loss is to none of these teams, then Clemson is going to have a bad looking loss.

OSU would have to seriously improve their eye test, as it's going to be another "post-2007 we don't want to see them again" situation for the Bucks. However, they bring in tons of money and we know the networks do have some influence. Clemson is both the defending and attacking champs, and I think that HAS to count for a lot. I would slightly worry about the sentiment of "another Bama Clemson showdown" as we're already seeing people sick of the NBA Warriors-Cavs.

My money would still be on the Tigers in your scenario. The last 2 B1G performances earns them a year off.

In the new play-off system all you have to do is win a P5

Sep 11, 2017, 12:12 PM

conference championship with one loss or less.

It is not like the old days when a loss to a team like NC State could knock you out of it.

Re: In the new play-off system all you have to do is win a P5

Sep 11, 2017, 1:20 PM

I guess the question is which 1 loss conference champ is picked, the one that lost to the #5 team in the first game of the year, or the one that lost to a not so good team later in the year.

Considering how many points the Big Ten teams scored...

Sep 11, 2017, 12:14 PM

in the playoffs in the past two season--ZERO. If they put Ohio State in ahead of us, the defending national champions, we will all know that it's all about money for playoffs.

Sep 11, 2017, 12:17 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic