Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who Told You to Plow?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Who Told You to Plow?

Jul 19, 2020, 8:10 PM

Two years ago this past Christmas during the holidays, my older brother and I were were together for the last time before his death in February. We were talking about our childhood. I asked him what was the first words we heard every morning. Without hesitation he responded, "who told you to plow".

When we were young, we both slept in the same bed. We had an alarm clock but we really didn't need it because our Dad woke up at 6:00 sharp, 365 days each year. When it was time for my brother and I to get up we were not awakened with words. If our feet were uncovered, our Dad would tickle our feet with a feather or broom straw. If our feet were covered he would use the feather or broom straw on our face, At other times he would get a wash cloth and leave enough water on it so a few drops of cold water would fall on our face. When we would begin to stir it was always, "who told you to plow"? I don't know where he got that expression but it made a lasting impression on us. Never did he say, "it's time to get up" or "get out of bed".

I've just about finished my first book (it goes to the printer in early August) and the next one will be stories about growing up, and I'm still growing up. And the title has already been selected---"WHO TOLD YOU TO PLOW".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who Told You to Plow?

Jul 19, 2020, 8:18 PM

Enjoy learning about your life Joe. You remind me a lot of my grandfather.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2020, 8:32 PM

God bless you, Joe, and thank you!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably already inherited here....

Jul 19, 2020, 8:47 PM

But, you have any leads on how I can get this book?

Publisher or distributor info?

Enjoy your stories

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2020, 9:16 PM

Always enjoyed your life stories. Thanks Joe.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2020, 9:19 PM

Joe, I'm a couple decades behind you, and you remind me of my dad. He died a decade ago at age 93, but, like you, he lived an uncommon life. He grew up on the family farm during the depression, went to college with nothing, worked many jobs and graduated from Wofford with a double degree, all college expenses paid and a few hundred dollars in his pocket. Wounded four times in WWII in the European Theater, serving as Gen. Bradley's top aide during some of that time. He, too, wrote his memoirs for his grandchildren to know what it was like to grow up in those days. We just republished it ("The Unbelievable Life of a Country Boy" by Lt Col Peter Jack Newton...on Amazon and other sites.) His daddy died when he was four, but like your daddy, he woke me up early for farm chores by twisting my big toe!! If I didn't get right up, Momma would come in and say, "You better get up! It's goin' on towards noon and your daddy will whip you!" I'd jump up only to find out it was like 6:30 am!!!

Please let us know the titles of your books. Your life has already guided many of us, and I, for one, would like to know more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tears! Tears! Happy Tears!

Jul 19, 2020, 10:03 PM

Confetti?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Daddy

Jul 19, 2020, 10:11 PM

.... would come into the bedroom in "JULY"
and YELL ..... get up and see what Santa brought you!

Crap! I LOVE him!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Daddy

Jul 20, 2020, 1:53 PM

Mine would drip cold water off a wash rag on my face and then would say, "Get on up boy, you're gonna have moss growing on your behind if you stay in that bed much longer." He always had a little smile on his face. It's a wonder I didn't end up like Ted Bundy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL !

Jul 20, 2020, 7:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic