Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beyond Enough, already.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Beyond Enough, already.

Oct 26, 2017, 2:52 PM

I have sat around and watched / listened to the ad nauseum reporting of knuckleheads around the country (and beyond) disrespecting our country by sitting, kneeling, etc during the National Anthem at football games, and other sporting events. This supposedly to protest police brutality, etc.

Over 1.1 MILLION Americans died in conflicts around the world to give you that right to protest, but here is a suggestion. How about protest where it is that you really want to institute change, and EXACTLY what it is you want changed? If police brutality is the banner you want to wave, then, novel idea, go get you a permit, and peacefully demonstrate in front of City Hall, or the Statehouse, or a Law Enforcement Complex, SOMEWHERE where there are people who can actually legislate changes in police procedures, punishments for bad apples, or (one suggestion amongst many) provide funding for forced wear body cameras for all police, so that they know they are on camera at all times.

In other words, shine the light directly on the people and organizations whose behavior you are trying to change, and have some constructive ways in which that might be done in your head. These stupid (yes, I said STUPID) Anthem protests are just causing more division, more issues. Just waving a placard around and / or yelling obscenities isn't going to win you any friends, or influence any people, either. We already have enough self serving idiots out there doing that now, just to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV. And yet, when it gets out of hand, and they start to get physically attacked, who comes to their aid? Those same police. I wouldn't blame them at all for following all traffic laws and speed limits, and stopping to help little old ladies across the street on their way to the scene.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lazy people pick lazy ways to

Oct 26, 2017, 3:07 PM

not fix real problems.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's an interesting comment.

Oct 26, 2017, 4:03 PM

Considering the facts of the matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beyond Enough, already.

Oct 26, 2017, 3:09 PM

I think the only real solution I see here is to build a wall a round Texas and force all the people who are this easily offended to live there together. We can even rename Dallas to Snowflake Texas.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should take care of itself when the 8 million that voted

Oct 26, 2017, 3:16 PM

for the looser fall into the sea after the big quake, you know, cause it's not our fought and we can blame it on that Saint Andrew dude.

The fewer questions the better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It should take care of itself when the 8 million that voted

Oct 26, 2017, 3:34 PM

I've already bought some land in the Arizona desert in preparation. I've named it Otisburgh.

It's a small place.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It should take care of itself when the 8 million that voted

Oct 26, 2017, 4:01 PM [ in reply to It should take care of itself when the 8 million that voted ]

this solution is appealing to me as several of the aforementioned work in my industry. It would be a good time to ask for a raise.

Another silver lining moment, I love them, but be mindful...

Oct 26, 2017, 4:06 PM

Mother Nature may hold out for 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lIIBiezCrc

Re: Another silver lining moment, I love them, but be mindful...

Oct 26, 2017, 4:15 PM

regardless, it would still elimenate the need for a wall, which both history and science fiction have proven inadequate.

Walls are great...

Oct 26, 2017, 4:22 PM

just ask 1 billion screaming Chinamens, Matt Damon and oh, by the way, which one is Pink?

Something for the heads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_yRvxy9HVs&list=RDn_yRvxy9HVs&t=57

Re: Walls are great...

Oct 26, 2017, 4:58 PM

maybe you confused the pink with real american male brad pitt?

Re: Walls are great...

Oct 26, 2017, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Walls are great... ]

This one is Pink

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^

Oct 26, 2017, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Beyond Enough, already. ]
troll.jpg(81.0 K)

We've gone so far down the rabbit hole at this point

Oct 26, 2017, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Beyond Enough, already. ]

That people are now offended by other people's offended'ness...

It'd be humorous if it weren't so sad.

GO TIGERS!!

Re: We've gone so far down the rabbit hole at this point

Oct 26, 2017, 3:51 PM

hmm, seems being easily offended is the common theme here. maybe humor is the key, and not getting offended by the people getting offended by the people who are easily offended.

I have faith in you :)

Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it on.***

Oct 26, 2017, 4:01 PM

That's generally what I do anymore..

Oct 26, 2017, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: We've gone so far down the rabbit hole at this point ]

I just laugh at both sides.

GO TIGERS!!

Oct 27, 2017, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Beyond Enough, already. ]

I think we should relocate the current state of Israel to Texas. Solve two problems with one move: 1) the perpetual Mideast Conflict (at least the hatred of Israel by other Mideast nations) and 2) our perceived southern border problem.

Oct 26, 2017, 3:18 PM

Or they could really get people talking and do it during the national anthem of an NFL game....

White supremacists torch marches are freedom of speech.

Oct 26, 2017, 3:28 PM

Black guys taking a knee to protest racism and police brutality is vile, disgusting, insulting and deserving of scorn.

^^^^ THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS ^^^^***

Oct 27, 2017, 9:24 AM

Re: White supremacists torch marches are freedom of speech.

Oct 27, 2017, 11:55 AM [ in reply to White supremacists torch marches are freedom of speech. ]

The difference is that the white supremes are not protesting/marching at a NFL game you putz. So what you are insinuating is that whitey agrees with the white supremes?

The lady doth protest to much, methinks.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:32 PM

You schmuck.

If them a hole supremes showed up protesting at a NFL game..

Oct 27, 2017, 12:55 PM

I can asure you an ### cuttin would follow from everyone. Quit assuming the average Joe agrees with the skin heads....moron

TigerKing aint gunna like this***

Oct 26, 2017, 3:29 PM

Gee a peaceful way to protest that gets National attention..

Oct 26, 2017, 3:44 PM

You are right! They ought to be out rioting, burning, beating up people, and damaging property to get across their point. This is a peaceful of protest that actually has caused people to talk and gotten media attention. In case you haven't been noticing, the media pays almost no attention to peaceful protests in places, but a good riot like Charlottesville will draw every TV news network in America.

Oct 26, 2017, 3:59 PM

I like the way you bring people together.

Not letting your emotions override your respect for those who may disagree with you.

You go make America great again girl!

;)

Excellent point.

Oct 26, 2017, 6:45 PM

I might point out that the guys taking a knee aren't helping BLM by piszing half the country off by taking a knee. Perception is reality. Whether or not they are trying to disrespect the flag people feel they are. That's locking out people who might someday be compassionate about their cause. Emotions such as those generated when someone disrespect a sacred object like the flag or Star Spangled Banner live long and prosper. Nanu, nanu.

Granny use to say 'You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mad bro? FYI - this is the foosball bored. The

Oct 26, 2017, 6:23 PM

amphitheater is over there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first thing one should do to change people's mind or...

Oct 26, 2017, 6:39 PM

make them aware of a situation is pizs them off. When someone pizses me off I'm really open to hear everything they say, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know a single person allowed to ON THE JOB protest***

Oct 26, 2017, 7:18 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2017, 7:35 PM

take it to the lounge

Hey, I'm just glad we didn't have to go thru

Oct 26, 2017, 8:28 PM

the ignominy and disgust of having to see this garbage go on during the World Series pre-game last night. What a shame that would have been.

Oct 26, 2017, 8:44 PM

I once went to a movie in a country that most of us would consider historically less free and less democratic than our own. Before the movie started, the theater played a short film clip with their national anthem. The film showed smiling happy citizens, military feats, etc. Everyone stood.

At the time I thought, "What a bunch of propaganda by X country's ruling party."

Years later, I now wonder why I didn't think the same thing about our national anthem being played before various entertainments.

Why do we play the national anthem before games? These aren't government events. It isn't the Fourth of July. What does football or any other entertainment have to do with the military and veterans? And why do college teams all have the flag on their helmets or uniforms? Are people watching games thinking, "I wonder what country Michigan State is in.... oh, wait, there's the US flag, must be America."

What other time is there to play it in front of a big

Oct 27, 2017, 7:51 AM

gathering of Americans?

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al Champs!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Taking a knee..wait is this the injury report thread?***

Oct 26, 2017, 8:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Comical you still don't get it.

Oct 27, 2017, 4:24 AM

Whatever my opinion is of standing, kneeling, squatting, whatever during the anthem, you folks continue to fill the tigernet football board bitchin about it.
Every day.
Same post.
Same bitchin.

Guess how many post there would be if they marched in front of city hall? I bet 1 thread per year rather than per day.

The more you talk about it, the more you prove the method right... it gets people talking. Don't like it, ignore it. Nothing kills something like apathy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I reject this argument. These protests have, in my opinion,

Oct 27, 2017, 11:38 AM

not only done absolutely zero to address the issue they are attempting to address, they have almost certainly made the environment worse. By painting the police force in general as a corrupt, racist organization, they have further delegitimized cops, leading to a more strained and distrustful engagement in the community, and ultimately more confrontation, misunderstanding and ineffective policing.

Congrats, Kap. You've made everything worse and in the process, inarguably led to a lot of damage to the league that made you a millionaire and gave you a platform. Kudos.

null

^^^What he said.***

Oct 27, 2017, 1:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

What NO ONE seems to want to talk about is the FACT that

Oct 27, 2017, 8:20 AM

what these players and others are "protesting" is a complete fabrication and distortion of reality!
The facts, numbers and statistics do NOT even come close supporting the misguided claims of police brutality, targeting or racism.
Why aren't these players using their influence and money to shine a bright light on the real issues affecting their fellow minorities, like the absurd crime rates in the inner cities, black on black murder rates, drug use, broken families, teen pregnancy, gangs, school dropouts, etc, etc?!!

Now back to Tiger Football!!!

Swat the Bees!!!!

Re: What NO ONE seems to want to talk about is the FACT that

Oct 28, 2017, 3:50 PM

Not sure where you get the information to make that statement. Dozens of Police Departments from Miami, Baltimore, Inglewood, Newark etc, etc, etc have settled cases with the Justice Department for Racial Bias and harmful police practices.

The protests are not unfounded.

Oct 27, 2017, 8:40 AM

These guys, like most of the people in our country today, fail to understand the basics of history. Protests don't affect change. Effective protests affect change.

These guys and their supporters like to compare them(selves) to the lunch counter protests of the 60s, or Rosa Parks and the bus protests. But there are zero similarities. Those protests were undertaken by the very people who were victimized, for lack of a better word, by the policies in place that created segregated lunch counters and public transportation. They wanted to make a change in restaurants, so they peacefully protested in restaurants. They wanted to make a change in public transportation, so they protested in public transportation.

These guys want to make a change in inner cities, so they - millionaires almost all - protest in.... football stadiums?? They protest using the national anthem - the one thing during the game that's supposed to bring us all together for at least a moment? Then they go back to their fancy houses, garages full of cars, in their gated communities. These guys have NOTHING in common with the protestors - the effective ones, anyway - of the 50s and 60s.

Secondly, what change do they want to affect? Change laws? I know of no laws regarding segregation or that force or even encourage inequality. Change circumstances? Perhaps, but how will a protest at a football game change that?

They say they want to start a conversation, but the conversation has become about the national anthem rather than their issue(s). No one is talking about the things they want to talk about - if they even know what those are - yet they continue to do what they've been doing which clearly does nothing but distract from the issues at hand. Now, it seems, they're protesting just to show they have the right to protest!

None of this is working and is only sowing more division. Follow the lead of Chris Long, who is donating ALL OF HIS PAYCHECKS to education. Follow the lead of DW4, who donated a game check to hurricane victims and more money to Habitat for Humanity. There are many ways they can use their position and status, but all they're doing now is drawing attention to themselves and making matters worse along the way.

Oct 27, 2017, 11:28 AM

Let me start by saying that I am a proud Clemson fan who is worried about the game this weekend. And while I would rather have my heart race out of fear of us falling out of the CFP race, on a more permanent basis, I am often in fear because of how my race impacts my life. And seeing many who share my love for the Tigers engage in dialogue in such a disrepectful and flippant way really breaks my heart.

I feel like I am uniquely qualified to chime in here. The problem with the way most of the national conversation is being conducted is indicative of the overall problem with our society: it's US versus THEM. The changes "they" want to make are the issues WE should all want to make. We should all want equal protection under the law and equal access to quality educaton. Those are just a couple of the items that "they" believe are deserving for all Americans.

When was the last time any of you drove past a police car in fear that you could die if you got pulled over just because someone was afraid of how you look? You don't have to go too far to get an enlightening response. Just ask the majority of the players who bleed and sweat for our delight as we stand and yell, clad in orange every Saturday of every fall. The reality is different for a lot of Americans. Not Black Americans or Brown Americans. Americans. No matter how much money one makes or how many cars one has, you get treated differently by society because of how you look. If DW4 gets pulled over and the officer doesn't know or care who he is, all he or she sees is a Black man. And the misconceptions and fears and biases of that officer could factor into how that stop goes. Knowing the fact that my life could be impacted (or ended) by a bad apple just because? That is a terrifying, frightening and sobering reality. When was the last time you were pulled over and asked, "why are you in this neighborhood?" Just think about that as you drive home today.

And that's just everyday life. Now to the demonstration.

Those who mock that there is no substance to the demonstration clearly limit their research. If you care to actually pay attention, Google Doug Baldwin of the Seattle Seahawks and he will tell you EXACTLY what the demonstration is about. Also, people who are easily distracted (SQUIRREL!) will focus on the messenger and not the message. If we care to be educated about the issue, we should do better than reach for the lowest hanging (and spoiled) fruit. The whole point of demonstration to institute change is to make people uncomfortable and disrupt the status quo. Why? Because the current state of our society is inherently wrong. That is our history. American history. Not THEIR history. From the abolition of slavery to Women's suffrage to the Civil Rights Movement, our history is about demonstrating to make change. I don't feel the need to get knee-deep into a history lesson. Just think about how much resistance oppressed people have faced in this, the most free nation in the human history, when they dared to demand some semblance of equality. Unfortunately, oppression of people is as American as apple pie. And understand that merely mentioning the not-so-rosy parts of our nation's history does not make this an anti-American rant. I'm simply making a point.

So what do I see being resisted? Is it the push for full equality? Nah...it's United States citizens taking collective knees and exercising their rights. They may not be demonstrating in the homogenized fashion that will make everyone comfortable, but it is making everyone talk, even if the dialogue is often lazy and off-target. And that's the point. We are engaging. The beauty of this nation is that you can't control how people exercise their rights. So, since you can't change or control it, why not be a part of the solution. Again, this isn't THEIR problem, it's OUR problem. The sooner we can institute change, the sooner you'll stop seeing knees bent during anthems and the sooner I don't have to fear for my life simply because I look like a football player with a brownish hue.

And for those who will argue that they don't want to see this message presented through the prism of sports? I could get cute and tell you to watch NASCAR or hockey. But that attitude defeats the purpose. We live in a free country. Remember, land of the free and home of the brave? Yeah, that came from the Anthem. The same Anthem that is not being protested against. Half of my family has served or are serving in the military. They support the demonstrations because they know they aren't being disrespected and they know the flag isn't being protested against. They have the ability to balance that strength while shouldering the life-long burden of being Black in America. The least I can do is try to get this conversation to focus on the message, not the way the message is delivered.

So, if you ever see me on campus watching and praying and hyperventilating as our Tigers play, just know that when we go our separate ways, I am going home to live in an America that is different from many of you. The bended knees are just seeking respect. And when I get on my knees tonight, I will pray that we will all be one day closer to a free and equal America for all. That is the message.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:37 PM

You make excellent points Jamaltiger. I hope your thoughts are not ignored on this board.

Abraham Lincoln was a brilliant man, but sadly for our country, one of his great observations rings just as true today as when he made the statement:

"The struggle against deep discord in America is a mighty and uncertain one. We must resist the alluring comfort of cheap righteousness and the sweetness of bitter enemies that drive us to circle the wagons against “others.”" - A. Lincoln

Oct 27, 2017, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Beyond Enough, already. ]

Yes, excellent points and hopefully many here will actually take the time to read this and turn Hannity/Rush off for a while.

Oct 27, 2017, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Beyond Enough, already. ]

Wow. I didn't know anyone on Taternet could write like this.

Nobody would listen if they “got a permit”

Oct 27, 2017, 8:54 AM

Yes... millions died so people may have the right to free speech... This also seems to be the main argument for why people should not be exercising that right ... it may be disrespectful , it might not even be patriotic , but the hypocrisy of the that argument is very dumb ...

If you chose to yell and scream and stomp your feet, and chose not to listen ... then you are certainly a part of the problem ....

Put yourself in their shoes .... you may argue that its easy for them ... I would argue that it takes courage to speak up about what you believe is right, especially when is is not popular and you receive that amount of criticism for it .... I’ll bet many haters out there , given the stage and the audience to stand up for what’s right , would chose a cowards path and just go home, unable to deal with the pressure of the task or of the reality of the world we live in ...

A bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking is all see

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic