Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where we really need to stand on this Kavanaugh thing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 658

Where we really need to stand on this Kavanaugh thing

Sep 27, 2018, 6:49 PM

I know. It's pretty arrogant for me to say this needs to be the last word on this issue. But I haven't exactly been accused of humbleness lately.

And what I'm about to say probably isn't going to resonate well with the folks whom are usually allies with me on this board.

I'm sick of the immediate partisanship on this issue. The immediate flocking to Kavanaugh's side and the denouncing of Ford is pretty disgusting. But the willingness to blindly believe Ford has also unsettled me.

I've been up close and personal to situations where women were legitimate victims and people doubted them without bothering to listen to their story. But I've also, unfortunately, seen a woman lie to try to destroy a man (she was busted on her lie with real evidence, so it wasn't me just assuming).

So let's break it down:
-Republicans are blindly believing Kavanaugh without any possible consideration that this woman could be a victim. That's sick.
-But Dems are demanding unreasonable actions because this has suddenly become politically convenient. That's also sick.
-They want an FBI investigation. Here's why that's absurd: 1. This isn't a federal matter. 2. Even if true, Kavanaugh can't be prosecuted now. 3. They want an FBI investigation so they can delay the hearing. Even if you don't like Kavanaugh and his stances, that's not a comforting practice of our government. A criminal investigation just to hold up a confirmation due to political ideology? That disturbs me.

So here's what it finally boils down to. I'm going to operate on an assumption that Ford is honest and Kavanaugh actually did what she said. And here's where I'm going to #### off my P&R allies:

We have to let it go.

Because all we have, and all we will ever have, is one word vs. another word. And we will never have any physical, real evidence to prove one way or another.

And for the sake of American democracy and the spirit of what our Bill of Rights stand for, we MUST err on the side of the accused. I would rather a guilty man get away with something than an innocent man be torn down due to lack of proof. And our founding fathers felt the same way.

I know. That might mean we possibly but a sexual creep on the Supreme Court. But what if we ruin the life of an innocent man?

P.S. Trumpies, you would completely flip the other way if this accusation came from a woman against a Dem. So don't puff out your chest. You still suck out loud in all of this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

On Twitter this would be considered enabling rape culture.***

Sep 27, 2018, 6:52 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know. This opinion isn't popular now.

Sep 27, 2018, 6:57 PM

And I won't post it on social media.

But the hard answer Ford's side has to realize is this: without concrete evidence, we must err on the side of the accused. That's not pretty, just like it wasn't with O.J., or Casey Anthony, or George Zimmerman. But for our democracy to truly function and survive, we have to do this so innocent people are not destroyed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Values have changed. Your value, which is consistent with

Sep 27, 2018, 7:12 PM

the Constitution, is not currently a value shared by a large segment of the US population. Just like during other eras (red scare for instance) certain core American values are sacrificed on the altar of human nature.

Now it is all about taking sides without evidence. Whether that be in police shootings, or in the metoo movement, rational thought is less important. It's all about posturing.

You can thank identity politics.

Re: Values have changed. Your value, which is consistent with

Sep 27, 2018, 7:21 PM

Which is why it's more important than ever that people who believe in our Constitution and BoR stand up loudly for them.

Additional shot at Trump supporters: You don't believe in the Constitution or BoR.

No chance. History shows that.

Sep 27, 2018, 7:23 PM

Just hold on and don't make yourself a target until it blows over.

My $0.02

Sep 27, 2018, 7:25 PM

I thought Ford was somewhat credible but extremely flakey. I have a real problem that she doesn’t remember how she got to the house. I’ll give her a pass on not remembering how she got home.
I could go with a week delay to interview the possible witnesses IF the dems had been a bit more cooperative 10 days ago...But not now!
They should go ahead and vote and see how the cookie crumbles...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My friend,

Sep 28, 2018, 7:24 AM

the witnesses that she named submitted statements which subjected them to prison sentences if false. Her best friend stated that she wasn't there, didn't know Kavanaugh and had never attended a party where Kavanaugh was present. The FBI could interview the witnesses but only a fool would admit they had given false statements to Congress. Very little was said about this.

I dismissed Ford's flakiness to being subjected to the public on a matter which was very private to her. Maybe she played me but that is exactly how she came across.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where we really need to stand on this Kavanaugh thing

Sep 27, 2018, 7:25 PM

"But I've also, unfortunately, seen a woman lie to try to destroy a man (she was busted on her lie with real evidence, so it wasn't me just assuming)."

I know a man personally who spent about three years in prison for a rape he didn't commit. (The truth was finally revealed but that's three years he will never get back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have said all along that it was really that simple.

Sep 28, 2018, 12:08 AM

We will all believe who we choose to believe; probably based on political bias, at least in part. But this should not come down to our very flawed, individual perceptions of who is credible and who is not. There must be some kind of proof, or real evidence; and in this case, from 35 years ago, there will be none. Neither side should want this to be the standard, or to become the norm.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If this were criminal court I might agree

Sep 28, 2018, 2:14 AM

But it's not. It's a confirmation hearing. And the standards and burden of proof changes. I would want confidence that the person has a strong moral compass. I don't with this guy. So he would get a no vote from me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But do we risk ruining a potentially innocent man's life?

Sep 28, 2018, 7:42 AM

What if these allegations keep him off the Court but also ruin is ability to have a normal life after this?

If this is allowed to knock Kavanaugh out, then it sets a

Sep 28, 2018, 9:26 AM

very dangerous precedent going forward. It could essentially, potentially cripple the nomination process. Don't like the nominee? No problem, just bring a woman forward who can appear sympathetic and credible to a sizeable number of people, and have her bring forth allegations that can't be proven or substantiated. Or, for that matter, anybody that can make an accusation that can't be disproved. It would be very, very easy to do, and I would expect both sides to do it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I know this will stun you but I...

Sep 28, 2018, 7:14 AM

disagree with some of your statements.

"So let's break it down:
-Republicans are blindly believing Kavanaugh without any possible consideration that this woman could be a victim. That's sick."

I don't think you're giving anyone credit for basic human decency. I did not dismiss Ford's testimony. I realized my personal prejudice toward her and dismissed my opinion here in a public forum. You have no possible idea the depth of my disrespect for a woman who uses her femininity to attack someone. If at any place in this post you see biased I'm sure you'll point it out.

"-They want an FBI investigation. Here's why that's absurd: 1. This isn't a federal matter. 2. Even if true, Kavanaugh can't be prosecuted now. 3. They want an FBI investigation so they can delay the hearing. Even if you don't like Kavanaugh and his stances, that's not a comforting practice of our government. A criminal investigation just to hold up a confirmation due to political ideology? That disturbs me..."

Did you leave out the part where they had the allegation for a long time and investigated Ford themselves? Did you ignore that week long delay in the hearing due to her not liking to fly then testifying that she flew to the South Pacific for vacations and for work and even to DC for the hearing? Did you miss the fact that she claimed she didn't know the Committee would travel to Cali to hold the hearing last week?

The republicans knew they had hard hitting questions but played the game. They could have forced the issue in public but they wanted the stage and played like they respected the witness even though we all know Ford's corroboration witnesses worked more against her than they worked for her. Three people denied that they had no knowledge of the event she described. Her best friend sent a letter to the committee which was subject to exactly the same severeness as lying to the FBI. She said she didn't know Kavanaugh, had never met him or ever gone to a party where he was present. Anyone keeping up knew that before the hearing. Ford testified in the hearing that her friend was there, several times she stuck with her story.

My impression of Ford was that she believed what she said. All I had to go on here was my impression of her testimony. Kavanaugh's 10 year old daughter was right. 'We should all pray for that woman."

I do not believe her lawyers failed to investigate her claims and I don't believe the Senate Dems were ignorant either. In fact the republicans are more culpable than anyone in this. They took this to hearing to force a party line vote and manipulate the dems from Trump backed voters in those few state. They had the votes, nobody was really undecided. They didn't have to let this play out.

Pubs spiked the ball. This morning I have as much contempt for them as I do for congressional dems who showed their butts during the past couple months. I agree with one guy, Lindsey Graham. Well, I agree with him if I can imagine he was talking to everyone there including himself.

It's a disgrace.
Everyone on that panel knew exactly how this would turn out and they did it at the expense of Ford and Kavanaugh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 658
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic