Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where Jack Leggett is at -
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Where Jack Leggett is at -

Jun 5, 2014, 6:14 PM

I was fortunate enough to make the varsity football team as a freshman, one of two players to do so, in high school (many years ago). The head coach was a guy who had been there for close to 30 years, in the SCHSL Coach's Hall of Fame, and to this day is still the owner of the state's longest regular season winning streak. My uncle played for him some 20 years earlier and NEVER practiced after a loss - for 3 years. You see, they lost in the playoffs and the season was over. The coach was and is a legend in many people's eyes. Beloved by those whom he tutored.

I say all of that to say this - my sophomore year we lost every game. And, at one time during my junior year - we owned the state's longest active losing streak. We broke that 7 games into my junior season. Same staff that had accumulated the other streak just went 17 games without winning. Our numbers on the team dwindled. Kids just simply didn't want to play "for the old man". Those of us who loved the game of football - well, we were out there. But it wasn't many. By the time my junior season rolled around, we numbered somewhere around 25. 25! Total! At a 4A high school!

I got to witness the change first hand. And it wasn't the coaches. It wasn't even the coaches' fault for what happened. They simply were doing what they had always done. The kids changed. The players changed. And maybe more importantly, society and the way parents wanted their kids treated changed. Coach was old school - and quite frankly - a majority of the young men at my school weren't tough enough to handle his ways. You see, he no longer related to the kids. I had a new coach and staff my senior year and students who I never even knew played football were at the first day of practice.

I am sure Jack is somewhere close to this. He is 60. His kids, if I am correct, are out of the house and have been for a few years. Times have changed. And they will continue to change. The game is taught the same way. Baseball has not changed. But, the way the players are handled and treated day to day - well, that is always going to be an evolving process. But, its hard to ask a guy who is in ANY Hall of Fame to change his ways.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just look at things objectively and see how far.....

Jun 5, 2014, 6:22 PM

our program's fallen - that can't be denied. For whatever reason, JL as the HC isn't getting it done.

I'm sorry this is the case because he has been a great coach for us but maybe times have passed him by.

Re: I just look at things objectively and see how far.....

Jun 5, 2014, 6:28 PM

I agree totally. The time has come. I just wish he would take the high road and walk away.

Re: Give him the option of resigning or be fired.***

Jun 5, 2014, 7:02 PM

Good lord*******

Jun 5, 2014, 7:06 PM

Re: Good lord*******

Jun 6, 2014, 8:10 PM

I agree with you Clemfan. My sentiments exactly after reading many of these comments.

John McKissick?***

Jun 5, 2014, 6:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: John McKissick? I dont know his record well enough

Jun 5, 2014, 7:13 PM

but I never pictured him having a bad year. I think literally hed grandpa, dads and sons of the same guys who played for him. I dont know if he coached the most games ever but it seems he could have

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no

Jun 6, 2014, 6:12 PM [ in reply to John McKissick?*** ]

as many records as Coach McKissick holds, the regular season win steak is not one of them (to my knowledge).

Pinky Babb?***

Jun 6, 2014, 8:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pinky Babb?***

Jun 6, 2014, 11:02 PM

nope

Re: Where Jack Leggett is at -

Jun 6, 2014, 7:03 PM

sounds like coach files.... I remember that period

good thing jack runs one of the best camps in the nation so

Jun 6, 2014, 7:18 PM

he can stay in touch with the kids and their parents.

see franc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic