Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sandy Hooks happen because
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 690

Sandy Hooks happen because

Dec 15, 2012, 8:59 AM

of steadily declining morals in this country. Causes?
1. Hollywood putting out vile crap that they call art. Check out CRIMINAL MINDS.
2. Decline in two parent households - this caused by our growing welfare state.
3. Liberal mindset pushed on society that no one is to be judged; that morals/ethics are what anyone thinks they should be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More thoughts on this

Dec 15, 2012, 9:29 AM

What is same/different between society today and in early 60's?

There were plenty of guns around in the early 60's - my family had numerous shotguns and rifles, for hunting of course.
There were no mass killings in the early 60's.(I'm sure someone will dig something up, tho)

What is the difference?

PEOPLE! The question is why are people different (see above)

and you had random murder sprees back then as well. The

Dec 16, 2012, 11:03 AM

difference, and it is huge, is that unlike then, most any idiot can get an assault type rifle, automatic pistol, etc with massive and multiple ammo clips.

Back in the 60's, it was basically service type semi autos and revolvers.

The video game culture certainly is a new thing too and plays a role in desensitizing violence.

Liberal/conservative ideologies have nothing to do with it. Crazy is crazy, regardless of that.

Totally agree about video game culture***

Dec 16, 2012, 11:55 AM

Re: Totally agree about video game culture***

Dec 16, 2012, 1:27 PM

Right. It's video games. You've nailed it, Doctor! That's why 99.9999999999999999% of video game players wouldn't ever consider shooting an innocent child.

How about its the fact that, unfortunately, there are crazy and deranged people and they have entirely too much access to automatic weapons. In this country. Did you ever think, for a second, that that was the cause of what happened on Friday?

I can't fathom how dumb you are. It's absolutely perplexing.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's not the video games

Dec 16, 2012, 2:16 PM

but at the same time, it is.

I think the main point there was that they have helped desensitize people to violence. Movies, Music and TV as well.

It is in no way, solely based on these, but they have for sure helped in making common for us to glamourize death, gore, and violence.

Video game culture is bigger in South Korea and Japan...

Dec 16, 2012, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Totally agree about video game culture*** ]

and they have even more violent versions of video games than the USA does, yet their homicide rates are an ant compared to our mountain of homicide rates.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, the VPI shooter was Korean, born and bred.***

Dec 16, 2012, 5:46 PM

Early 60's, segregation was still in effect…..

Dec 16, 2012, 3:19 PM [ in reply to More thoughts on this ]

so how was the early 60's morally better than now, when systematic racism was the law of the land?

People are more obsessed with guns now, than ever….

Dec 16, 2012, 3:21 PM [ in reply to More thoughts on this ]

People in this country worship guns, everybody thinks they are some sort of bad @ss. They go out and get a gun and thinks that makes them invincible.

I don't buy the declining morals argument.

Dec 15, 2012, 9:57 AM

At least as it relates to events like this. Let's not pretend that violence is a recent occurrence.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you not agree that there is

Dec 15, 2012, 10:32 AM

a problem with moral decay in this country?

Then what do you attribute the growing occurrences of events like this to?

When were we such a moral society to have decay?

Dec 15, 2012, 11:18 AM

When blacks had no rights? Women? When we had child labor? When women and children weren't protected from abuse? When slavery was legal? When wars were much more prevalent (less war now than any time in history)?

I'm not sure that change equates to decay. I believe the trends are largely positive but there will always be steps backwards.

But any argument that life used to be rosy and we're spiraling downhill is pure bunk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah, changing the subject now

Dec 15, 2012, 11:25 AM

figures...

How am I changing the subject?

Dec 15, 2012, 11:32 AM

Please explain. You say that there is moral decay. Where is your baseline where you measure decay from?

Having and recognizing problems, especially new problems, does not necessarily equate to decay.

Let's see....where do I start?

Dec 15, 2012, 11:42 AM

In most American communities 30-40 years ago:

1) You did not have to lock your doors at night fearful that someone would break in to rob or harm you.
2) You could shop at the mall or shopping center without worrying about hoodlums out in the parking lot waiting to mug you.
3) The vast majority of children had 2 parents (OMG, you probably want to see a chart, right?)

And I don't dispute that...

Dec 15, 2012, 11:55 AM

But there were also problems back then that are better as well. I just don't believe that equates to moral decay.

The homicide rate is lower now than 1960 and crime rates are lower now after peaks in the 80's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States#Crime_over_time

The Bible begins with Cain killing Abel, I just don't believe that the decay argument holds water.

Re: When were we such a moral society to have decay?

Dec 15, 2012, 11:27 AM [ in reply to When were we such a moral society to have decay? ]

I suppose that we just don't think of them as "wars" anymore. We've been waging "conflict" or "operations" for quite some time now.

But any argument that life is rosy and we're spiraling uphill is pure bunk. *fixed

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.

Dec 15, 2012, 11:35 AM

Especially on the second line. I think both what I posted and what you posted are true. Humanity clearly has a long way to go and it will take a lot to get there (if getting there is even possible).

But my argument is that change doesn't necessarily equate to decay. Lots of positives to point at.

Um... no.

Dec 15, 2012, 2:00 PM

There's a pretty huge difference between low morals and mental illness. People don't murder kindergarten kids because daddy didn't teach them the golden rule.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These "moral" arguments are worse than the gun ones.

Dec 15, 2012, 3:40 PM

We are safer today than we were then. You hear about crime more today because we are inundated with media. It feels like things are worse than they are.

The reason for the shooting appears to be one mentally unstable man decided to kill. If you want to use this tragic event to change something, use it to change our mental health care.

Interesting note concerning perceived loss of morals: crime has continued to drop, which is weird in a deep recession like what we are coming out of, and one of the reasons they think to be a cause is that the country comes together in times of trouble. If you believe that, then loss of morality doesn't seem to be happening.

Thankyou...

Dec 15, 2012, 3:47 PM

Its nice to see some on here are actually educated.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sandy Hooks happen because

Dec 16, 2012, 10:20 AM

Sandy Hooks happen because [9]
Posted: Dec 15, 2012 8:59 AM

of steadily declining morals in this country. Causes?
1. Hollywood putting out vile crap that they call art. Check out CRIMINAL MINDS.
2. Decline in two parent households - this caused by our growing welfare state.
3. Liberal mindset pushed on society that no one is to be judged; that morals/ethics are what anyone thinks they should be.

Honestly, what the F are you talking about? What does this drivel have anything to do with helping to actually FIX what happened on Friday? Is this how you suggest we tackle the problem of senseless gun violence? By changing the moral fiber of this country? Force everyone to watch the 700 Club at night? What's your solution? Because it sounds really pragmatic (note sarcasm).

Because mine is to ban guns for private use that only have one use: to kill other people. Will it cure all of society's woes and violence in this country? Of course not. But it's a start. Your solution is outright drivel: Hope and pray that people become better people. Oh, and stop welfare checks-- because that had a ton to do with what happened on Friday.

You idiots THUMBED UP

Dec 16, 2012, 10:23 AM

this reason for Sandy Hook happening:

Are you people real? The liberal mindset is what caused a mentally ill kid to kill 20 innocent children. You morons believe this?

You're all honestly too stupid for words.

Looks like they also THUMBED you DOWN. Such are

Dec 16, 2012, 1:46 PM

the manners of the RWNs.

They need to stop dissing the USA and enjoy the Season.

Re: Sandy Hooks happen because

Dec 16, 2012, 10:36 AM

very well said!!BUT, the liberals/demos will continue to blame "guns" rather than the real problems!!

Where are the divorce rates highest? The South….

Dec 16, 2012, 3:17 PM

where people go around all the time claiming their "Christian".

Replies: 26
| visibility 690
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic