Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Sunday thoughts: Where did you go?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Sunday thoughts: Where did you go?

Nov 10, 2013, 4:21 PM

Sunday thoughts: Where did you go?

Clemson still has a lot to play for, including a win over South Carolina and a possible BCS bowl birth. So where have some of the fans gone? Also, contact information for Monk Bingler. And, a look at some interesting stats. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Sunday thoughts: Where did you go?

Nov 10, 2013, 4:34 PM

I esp like how a good portion of the bottom of the article is dedicated to the SEC.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ONE LOSS BASICALLY KILLED 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE

Nov 10, 2013, 7:40 PM

One loss knocked us out of BCS title game pretty much (SEC teams can get in with one loss why cant we) but normally teams with one loss can still win their conference. Well unfortunately would you know our one loss was also in conference so FSU killed 2 dreams with one loss.

But season is far from failure. Hell one loss at season end with BCS bowl win is a dang good season.

Come on Tigernation our boys give their all SO its time we show them we really mean when we say ALL IN ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it is a natural lull just made worse by horrible FSU

Nov 10, 2013, 4:45 PM

loss. I think a lot of people were looking at three points in the season - UGA, FSU, and SCar. Well, and anything that came after in the post season. When we just blew every aspect of the game against FSU - let's be honest it was hard to find much 'good' to say about Clemson in that game - I thin a lot of people cooled off. And they probably have set their sites on the game in Columbia now. If activity doesn't pick up before that came - call me wrong.

And then there are those who have a bad case of SEC-envy. Any loss and they seem to immediately bemoan our recruiting, our coaching, etc. And perhaps they are fair weather visitors only.

My random thoughts.

Reading the second half of that I thought this was SECNet***

Nov 10, 2013, 4:47 PM

Re: Reading the second half of that I thought this was SECNet***

Nov 28, 2024, 12:11 PM

Lol...Sometimes it is good to step out and watch other programs and teams. I loved watching Stanford vs. Oregon and Baylor vs. Oklahoma last Thursday. Unlike a lot of people, I don't get a chance to really watch other teams around the country. Game day is a full day for me, and if it's late game I don't get home til late. A lot of fans don't attend all of the road games, so they can stay at home and watch. I like watching other teams and comparing them to what I see in person each week.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HEy..why don't we all write "Monk" a note (w/pic?) & show

Nov 10, 2013, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Reading the second half of that I thought this was SECNet*** ]

him some Clemson appreciation for his service to our Country in WW2 (he was at infamous Battle of The Bulge).

GoTiGERs & ThX MR. Bingler for your service!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We Want OREGON At The Orange Bowl !!!

Nov 10, 2013, 4:58 PM

No Auburn, we already beat them a gazillion times, no LSU, we already beat them too! I think a "battle of the spreads" would be "ducky"(groan)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another SEC team in the Sugar would be sweet too

Nov 10, 2013, 5:01 PM

Like Mizzou? Beating 4 SEC teams in a row goes a long way to proving we have long term potential.

Nov 10, 2013, 5:01 PM

We have fans not football knowledgeable people. most of the comments on here reflect a total lack of football ---the game--knowledge. There is no understanding of how far the tigers have come thru the combination of talent, execution and coaching. I like Dabo a lot but his OC and DC are, IMO, wanting. Offensively, he coaches a "stale" game. If a play doesn't work one time it's gone. DC coaches too much with us back on our heels. Our blitz packages are rudimentary at best. Take a look at what Bama showed LSU on D and it's very obvious we are still not close to being there against good teams!
Summary is that Tiger fans need to learn more ABOUT THE GAME before making statements that sound good but reflect a fan (which is a good thing) but not football strategies, sets, etc. I know I'll get castigated here but I could care less because I absolutely know that I am correct in my analysis. We're getting there talent wise, our execution can be great but is not consistent, and our coaching is fine for a good team but not for a team that wishes to be an "elite

" team

Nov 10, 2013, 5:03 PM

I couldn't be more orange but having said that, I can understand the disappointment some feel. Clemson football is much better than a few years ago and honestly I really feel it is headed in the right direction and has a very bright future. However, many including myself have looked to 2013 thinking that could be our year. 5th year senior QB, arguably the best player in college football in Sammy Watkins, a much improved defense, and other weapons all over the field made people feel if not 2013 then when? The FSU loss was brutal and left many feeling nothing had really changed. They just checked out for a while. The next key for this program is to beat Carolina and get their swag back. The fans and probably players have lost confidence with 4 losses in a row. Beating Carolina will fix everything with the fans. I promise!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2013, 6:49 PM

Another great post on your part!

Great post. As much as I love my Tigers, in the wake

Nov 11, 2013, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sunday thoughts: Where did you go? ]

of the FSU loss, I would be lying if I said it didn't affect me. It wasn't just that we lost. It was HOW we lost, too.

I know we are much better than we showed. I know we helped give that game away. And I realize FSU still could have won. But it's the fact that we will never know...that we didn't play even close to our capability in our biggest game of the past, who knows, 20 years...that is just hard to process. It wasn't just a loss of a game. It was way, way more than that.

Even a win against SCAR won't take away the sting from the FSU loss for me, BUT it will be HUGE in making me feel like we are continuing to progress. That is our only choice: to progress and improve. We are a TOP 10 team, and we have made huge strides. We need to keep the pedal to the metal.

Despite the FSU disappointment, I love my Tigers and am so proud they wear the paw. I know they have worked so hard to get where they are, and I do thank them for the ride they have taken us on.

GO TIGERS!! WIN OUT!!!

Nov 10, 2013, 5:09 PM

We are here. We are reading. We are cheering. I believe the Thursday nights HURT the fan base. This week is two days vacation for 3 people in our family - 6 precious days off. I think not having Saturday games creates lack of enthusiasm in ways that are hard to define. Pass it on to AD PLEASE. Also the loss to FSU was harder because of the tremendous hype. Breaking the decibel record. Etc etc. I think the fan base is NOT weary of the team but we are without doubt weary of the constant spin by AD. Pass that on too.

Nov 10, 2013, 5:38 PM

2 words: Deer season. Most tiger fans are outdoorsmen/women. October, November, and December are prime times to be in the woods or on the water. It is always a tough choice to watch the tigers on TV when they are away or hit the woods. When we are home my but is in the valley.

I can't imagine choosing not to watch a Clemson game.

Nov 10, 2013, 7:13 PM

Regardless of what type of hobbies we have as fans, I cannot imagine any scenario where I would voluntarily choose not to watch a Clemson game. I can only speak for myself, but I just don't understand how a hardcore Clemson fan would ever miss the chance to watch a game given that we only get 13 a year. A road game is certainly not as good as getting to see them at home, but it's still one of the few opportunities we get to see the boys go out and bust their tails.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fluff fluff fluffyity fluff.. fans havnt gone anywhere..just

Nov 10, 2013, 5:16 PM

waiting to queue up GT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yep..FSU smash down showed TiGs just Good++ Team & not

Nov 10, 2013, 5:30 PM

a NC caliber team at this time, as thought or hoped, but we found out differently in hard fashion on national TV. A win would have skyrocketed us into #2 in BCS..and 1981 fun times might be ours to take.

Yes, I am depressed but thankful for what we/team retained as far as rankings..and a win over GT & SC will make me a happy camper again..and a nice bowl with win would cap a special season when all is said & done.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said Bill!***

Nov 10, 2013, 9:54 PM

Re: Yep..FSU smash down showed TiGs just Good++ Team & not

Nov 11, 2013, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Yep..FSU smash down showed TiGs just Good++ Team & not ]

Ranking are only as good as the teams that can hold on to their mid season spot and continue to climb. If a team gets into a top ranked spot at the start of a season, that only says they better play their A$SES off to stay their. We didn't play to get better and hold onto what we were handed at the first part of the season, FSU did. IMPO, I think that our coaching is always playing for next year. I say this b/c the games that we get out front in early, our starters warm the bench when our coaches should leave them in and let them get live game practice at least until mid way through the 4th quarter. It would I believe make them better than every day practice on a practice field. With the starters jelling in live action would give the backs ups a better Gage of how much better they need to get to be a starter. At home on our practice field, practice don't come close to in live game action. If we have that big of a lead on the less talented teams. Let the starters stay in to get the ball in the red zone, then let the back ups come in and let them try to score. I'm just saying that practicing against guys on another team that you don't know in live action is better that practicing against your team mates that are cutting you slack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David, that was a savage, savage beating we took in our

Nov 10, 2013, 5:32 PM

house, in arguably the most hyped regular season game in Clemson history. That took a lot of starch out of a lot of people. You can bet the fans will "come back", if that's the right expression, by the time the s.carolina game rolls around. While Georgia Tech should in no way, shape, or form be overlooked, that game with s.carolina has now become, to many I think, the barometer on what type of stamp to put on this season.

As an aside, all these Saturdays off this year probably have, to a lesser extent, some relationship to your observation/question.

hogwash..---- It's a long long week..and too many away

Nov 10, 2013, 5:36 PM

games. We are all yappity yapped out. Ready for some football.

Fans haven't gone anywhere.

Any idea on the Clemson attendance at UVA and MAryland?

I'm guessing it was just as many (or more) as any other year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: hogwash..---- It's a long long week..and too many away

Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that the article isn't talking about having less fans than in past seasons. It's talking about how much traffic the websites were getting this season from the lead-up to the Georgia game until the FSU loss. There was more excitement among the fanbase than any time I can remember in my memory, and the Clemson related websites and articles noticed this by the number of visitors they were getting. Since the FSU loss, the amount of traffic to the websites has dropped off significantly.

That ball control offense is what the Ole Ball Sack plays

Nov 10, 2013, 5:36 PM

against Clemson to perfection.

It may have been my imagination but the past couple of years it seems that the Coots had the ball 45 minutes in each game....and we begin pressing.

so because fans quit visiting websites they are no longer

Nov 10, 2013, 9:04 PM

Clemson fans????

Nowhere, David, but here're my thoughts...

Nov 10, 2013, 6:19 PM

I can't believe any true fan would bail on this team so quickly, so this article has upset me terribly. However, let's look at the situation. Prior to the season opener, I was an insatiable consumer of any information I could get. Tigernet, TI, 247, you name it, I was voraciously reading and studying. I lived through the Bowden mediocrity and although I never accepted the losses, I did actually get used to them. In surviving so many disappointment through those years, I developed a coping strategy that included keeping expectations low; no, that's not right. I didn't keep them low. I just had NO expectation of winning at all. That's how I approached the UGA game. Seemed like a safe strategy going in to that game. But then we won. We looked competent, even great at times. So I, like many folks I suspect, let myself believe that we were back to our 1981 selves. I was flying high. Really high. I didn't book a flight to Pasadena, but I was definitely thinking about it. During the weeks between UGA and FSU, I read as much as I could get my hands on. It's a wonder I didn't lose my business in the process. During those weeks, around every corner, on every sports network, and on every site, the talk was all about Clemson and how good we were. Oh David, I don't know why I paid any attention to the talking heads. I mean, I know they're morons, but I so desperately wanted to believe. If I had used any logic at all, I would have concluded that we were not Bama. Yet. But dang it. I believed. Hell, Dabo even said it. I believed.
Well, then FSU happened. It all came crashing down. I was absolutely furious. Not at the team so much, but at myself. I knew better than to let myself believe! But did I quit loving my team? NO way. My feelings were hurt, but I did what all true fans do. Brushed myself off, and got back to work supporting my team. You see, they don't let me play. So until they do, my job is to love, support, and cheer. So that's what II do and will continue to do. In Syracuse. In College Park. In Charlottesville. And definitely in Death Valley.

So that's my story which is probably pretty similar to every true fan's story. Am I still the voracious consumer of information? No, probably not, but that has nothing to do with my loyalty or commitment to this team. Personally, I'm trying to avoid all the hype and hyperbole that is so common in the media. Have to avoid all that noise, lest one start to believe it! I'm not sure you or Cris or Cory or anyone can make a connection between fan loyalty and the number of hits your sites get. And this is just the kind of misinformation our competitors get ahold of and start spreading around (How long before Gamecocks are crowing about Clemson's fan exodus!) We don't need to give them anything to run their mouths over, particularly when it's just speculation.

tally

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lack of Recruiting Updates

Nov 10, 2013, 6:29 PM

David,

I still check out this site and another free site multiple times a day. Mainly in hopes that some recruiting news will pop up. I check out this site more often than the other site.

For me the lack of interest lately has been not much recruiting news. It isn't your fault or the other sites fault because I guess Clemson is almost full but I like to see recruiting news and it interests me.

And combine that with the FSU loss it made things a little sour. Season essentially ended for me on that game. I want to win a national championship like everyone else and I know it isn't easy to do. I still pull hard for Clemson every Saturday but yeah things changed a bit after that game. And I'm one fan who still thinks we have regressed offensively and are not as great a team as people think. But that is for a different posting I guess.

Also there are less postings from other people so when I come on the site, there isn't much news for me to read about. I like it when another fan posts some a good scoop or recruiting tid bit they have heard elsewhere, etc.

yes, you post articles and stuff. That is great but there is a lack of posting from fans and other stuff.

The player interviews I can read on your site or another site.

I guess there is less original stuff being put out these days.

I do like it when you post about different stadium press boxes and stuff. I think you and your staff do a great job. But yeah I can tell from postings that there is a lack of viewing most likely. Last year around this time, we were all still talking about Mont Adams, Carl Lawson, etc. That isn't the case this year.

multifactorial answer

Nov 10, 2013, 6:39 PM

to the question of where have all the fans gone. First, it is hard to maintain the level of interest, as measured by web site hits, over an entire season. That doesn't mean people are no longer interested, it just means they aren't checking every site every day for every detail about Clemson.

Secondly, it's the reality of the BCS as we know it now. Until next year we have a 12-game playoff and one loss pretty much rules Clemson out of the BCS title game. Because we won our first big playoff game against UGA and rose to #3, of course there was great interest. And not just among the usual diehards, but among casual fans nationally. Once we lost, the casuals drifted away and the overall interest died down. It's a very different situation compared to 2011 when we first started to make some noise or 2012 when we were not in the BCS conversation for long due to the loss to FSU, without any "big" wins until LSU.

It's just a byproduct of being in the BCS conversation. And it's a good problem to have. The true Clemson fans haven't gone anywhere. If we didn't bail during the TW and TB years, we sure won't bail when we're winning 10+ games a year.

I will make a prediction. If we win out this year, most importantly beating SCar, all those web sites will see their hits go back up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2013, 6:43 PM

The emotions were running so high before the FSU game and the expectations were more to the level of certainty.
It was fun and so so frustrating when the hammer came down.
I think it was the severity of the loss and perhaps feeling like the school was somehow embarrassed by the media and our own fans.
Looking over some of the sports bloggs and posts that were made by Tiger fans in the week before the game, there were some who will need to hide out the rest of the year after what they posted.
On the other hand, the life of a Tiger is seldom determined by a a set back like this and in fact becomes nothing more than a historical fact that has nothing to do with our future.
Licking your wounds is one thing and even expected, but wallowing in prideful pity makes loser's lose again.
Tiger fans need to find the pride again and realize these games will happen and support these kids who feel the pain much more than we ever will. They are the ones who show up every day and every week to represent Clemson as best they can. They are the reasons we should come to these games. They deserve a fan base that will be there to pick them up and show the love we have for what they strive so hard to provide the fans.
They will redeem us if we support them and show we have faith in their abilities.
I will always support the team.

Don't worry ....they'll show up for Ga Tech!!!

Nov 10, 2013, 6:57 PM

I think we should do a better job of staying in our seats until the end of every game. My wife and I have been committed to that one thing since 1968 and I hated to see more FSU fans in DEATH VALLEY at the end of the FSU game than there were Clemson fans...inexcusable in my opinion. Our players are out there trying to salvage respect and risking injury, and you guys desert them when they need you! It made me sicker to see that than to lose.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our players & coaches quit against FSU.Fans should have left***

Nov 10, 2013, 9:46 PM

Nov 10, 2013, 7:04 PM

David, the "Bandwagon fans " come and go. These are the ones who cheer the loudest until we lose then dissapear. The true fans are still here. They just don't comment on internet pages as much. We realize that the game is a lot tougher than playing X-Box. I have been a fan since 1958 at 14 years old. Actually probably before then, but not a die-hard.
I pull for and support my tigers win lose or draw. Sure I want to win and am dissapointed by losses like the one to FSU, but my life is not measured by Clemson wins. I love Clemson and agree with Joe Sherman that there is something special in those hills.

When the going got tough, the tough ........ Never Mind***

Nov 10, 2013, 7:17 PM

Nov 10, 2013, 8:42 PM

Where did I go? I went to the place I go every year. To Disappointmentville.This year it WAS the FSU game that tipped me over the edge. Had we lost by 3, 7, or even 10 we could tip our hats and say good game, but we got gang raped.

Where was the team that had everything to win? That looked like men? Nowhere to be found. Clemson spends multiple millions of dollars a year on coaches and facilities. And where has it gotten us? Disappointed. The best program in the state is in Columbia, plain and simple.

How did that happen? This team, with a 5th year senior "Heisman Candidate" got whacked by FSU with a FRESHMAN QB! It was humiliating. And remains so.

After the UGA game, I could proudly wear my Clemson gear, which seldom happens. Now I'll only wear it should we win out. And win the bowl game. If we lose to Tech and or Carolina I will consider the season an abject failure.

I'm 62. I thought this could be the year for something special, but got gang raped instead - in every orifice.

I had quit watching Clemson Football on TV. I would record the games, and only watch if we won. I didn't watch the Peach Bowl until April for fear there would be a reason found that we should forfeit the game.

I'm SICK OF IT!

I will not give my heart to this team again. They will have to earn my respect and heart.

How? Win out. Win the bowl game, no matter the opponent. Win it convincingly. Then beat FSU next year.

Then, and only then, will I be proud to be a Clemson Grad. For now I hang my head in shame.

The WVU game had a large part to do with it. 70 points! 10, count 'em, 10 touchdowns! Couldn't even hold them to a field goal ONCE! Speed Limit 70. Clemsoning. Pulling a Clemson.

It's too much to bear.

There, I've said it.

Clemson Football get your act together.

Nov 10, 2013, 9:15 PM

I, too, enjoyed being home and watching some great games yesterday. But in all my years of going to Clemson games I was disappointed that we were not playing...what a perfect football Saturday. This gets us out of synch and a game after the fantastic Virginia game would have been a packed house. Now a Thursday night game and weather predictions of maybe 32 degrees ....are you kidding me!!! But no matter how cold I will be there. Oh there will be fans that will stay home cause they can watch on tv....it is a work night....it will be too cold...yadda yaddda. I will be in my seat pulling for my Tigers. We have 8 grad student players and 8 senior football players with two games left at Clemson and short of being committed to a hospital....I will be there. This team is special and I don't want to miss a play in Death Valley. We need to be there and be loud.

First of all, Thanks for the high caliber coverage

Nov 10, 2013, 9:41 PM

which you provide.

So where did they go? I'll skip the T-Net political correctness and provide my real opinion.

1) Older 52-yr old fans like me do not trust the intensity of the team. Palmer has it wrong. "Clemsoning" is not losing to teams we should beat. "Clemsoning" is quitting in games when the breaks and the talent favor the other team. Against WVA 21 mos. ago and against FSU last month, the Offense and Defense and coaches quit allowing for complete team and fan base humiliation.

2) Then Dabo said we would win 5 of 10 against FSU. That is B.S.!

3) It's a cliché that younger fans do not understand, but Ford's teams were intense, and until fans who saw the 80's teams start dying in 20-30 yrs, Ford's teams will be the measuring stick for intensity and toughness for future Clemson teams. Do today's fans know the Clemson fan base used to stand up for the Defense (usually 3 plays) and sit down for the Offense? I doubt it? Does it matter? Who cares? Right?

4) The younger fans who encourage spoiled older fans, who still expect Clemson to play tough, to lighten up and accept above average as the new standard are not as into football. We have seen student attendance decline and the Clemson fan base is great but the younger fans in the state are leaning to the hated "#####".

5) Why? One they win. 4 in a row. My 13-year old son considers Clemson fans lovable and delusional big-game losers who get all fired up for big games against SC and bowl games and then get humiliated. He considers the UGA and LSU wins the anomalies, and the steady losses to SC and the humiliations against WVA and FSU the norm.

6) SC outhits Clemson. Venables seems to be improving the toughness but SC still pushes us around. They are tougher. Tajh was phenomenal against LSU. Connor Shaw is less talented but tougher and hungrier on a game to game basis.

7) Look at the souvenir and fan base sales. SC now blows Clemson out of the water. I live in Savannah, GA, Respect for Clemson through the mid-90's was very high. Now SC bumper stickers, shirts, and fans are everywhere. Clemson fans are present but a decided minority.

8) Notre Dame, Louisville, VaT, Miami, FSU are respectable teams. The rest of the ACC does not prioritize football. Instead they satisfy themselves with a split of FSU and Clemson revenue.

9) There is no glory in beating UVA, Duke, Wake, Syracuse, UNC, BC, NCSU in football. Frankly, the games don't matter. They provide an opportunity to shop at Judge Keller's, MH Frank, Ibrahim's, Pixie & Bill's and tail gate. And see old and wonderful friends. That is the calling card. Not watching an above average football team beat teams with no pedigree and little talent.

A win this year in Columbia could hopefully change the tide. Do I think we can win? Yes. Would I bet on it? No. I see SC as a 4-6 point favorite and give them 60-40 odds to beat us. Does it mean I won't pull for my Tigers with everything I have? No it doesn't, but Clemson Football has taken the air out of my sails way too many times since the Hatfield hire. The game in SC means everything to the "Tajh Legacy".

New recruits like Kelly, Watson, the RB's and WR's give me hope for the future. And most of all, I want to see hard-nosed toughness on the line and Defense.

Re: First of all, Thanks for the high caliber coverage

Nov 11, 2013, 1:03 AM

> which you provide.
>
> So where did they go? I'll skip the T-Net political
> correctness and provide my real opinion.
>
> 1) Older 52-yr old fans like me do not trust the
> intensity of the team. Palmer has it wrong.
> "Clemsoning" is not losing to teams we should beat.
> "Clemsoning" is quitting in games when the breaks and
> the talent favor the other team. Against WVA 21 mos.
> ago and against FSU last month, the Offense and
> Defense and coaches quit allowing for complete team
> and fan base humiliation.
>
> 2) Then Dabo said we would win 5 of 10 against FSU.
> That is B.S.!
>
> 3) It's a cliché that younger fans do not understand,
> but Ford's teams were intense, and until fans who saw
> the 80's teams start dying in 20-30 yrs, Ford's teams
> will be the measuring stick for intensity and
> toughness for future Clemson teams. Do today's fans
> know the Clemson fan base used to stand up for the
> Defense (usually 3 plays) and sit down for the
> Offense? I doubt it? Does it matter? Who cares?
> Right?
>
> 4) The younger fans who encourage spoiled older fans,
> who still expect Clemson to play tough, to lighten up
> and accept above average as the new standard are not
> as into football. We have seen student attendance
> decline and the Clemson fan base is great but the
> younger fans in the state are leaning to the hated
> "#####".
>
> 5) Why? One they win. 4 in a row. My 13-year old son
> considers Clemson fans lovable and delusional
> big-game losers who get all fired up for big games
> against SC and bowl games and then get humiliated. He
> considers the UGA and LSU wins the anomalies, and the
> steady losses to SC and the humiliations against WVA
> and FSU the norm.
>
> 6) SC outhits Clemson. Venables seems to be improving
> the toughness but SC still pushes us around. They are
> tougher. Tajh was phenomenal against LSU. Connor Shaw
> is less talented but tougher and hungrier on a game
> to game basis.
>
> 7) Look at the souvenir and fan base sales. SC now
> blows Clemson out of the water. I live in Savannah,
> GA, Respect for Clemson through the mid-90's was very
> high. Now SC bumper stickers, shirts, and fans are
> everywhere. Clemson fans are present but a decided
> minority.
>
> 8) Notre Dame, Louisville, VaT, Miami, FSU are
> respectable teams. The rest of the ACC does not
> prioritize football. Instead they satisfy themselves
> with a split of FSU and Clemson revenue.
>
> 9) There is no glory in beating UVA, Duke, Wake,
> Syracuse, UNC, BC, NCSU in football. Frankly, the
> games don't matter. They provide an opportunity to
> shop at Judge Keller's, MH Frank, Ibrahim's, Pixie &
> Bill's and tail gate. And see old and wonderful
> friends. That is the calling card. Not watching an
> above average football team beat teams with no
> pedigree and little talent.
>
> A win this year in Columbia could hopefully change
> the tide. Do I think we can win? Yes. Would I bet on
> it? No. I see SC as a 4-6 point favorite and give
> them 60-40 odds to beat us. Does it mean I won't pull
> for my Tigers with everything I have? No it doesn't,
> but Clemson Football has taken the air out of my
> sails way too many times since the Hatfield hire. The
> game in SC means everything to the "Tajh Legacy".
>
> New recruits like Kelly, Watson, the RB's and WR's
> give me hope for the future. And most of all, I want
> to see hard-nosed toughness on the line and Defense.

AMEN!!

Re: First of all, Thanks for the high caliber coverage

Nov 11, 2013, 10:23 AM [ in reply to First of all, Thanks for the high caliber coverage ]

SocMan2,
55 (soon to be 56) male fan here. Yes the undefeated team of Coach Ford set the bar. But I remember the fickle fans of that era deriding Coach Ford's predictable style of "here we are, this is what we do, we're gonna punch you in the mouth" football, when we did not go undefeated the next couple of years. I'm not a sunshine pumper, but as I posted on "Shakin' The Southland" recently, "Rome wasn't built in a day, but metal buildings are". Dabo is not Hatfield or those other clowns. The losses to WV and FSU are dang hard to swallow. Don't give up or become cynical. Go Tigers!
PS, my Christmas wish: a smashmouth O line like Stanford.

We went away from social media sites.

Nov 10, 2013, 10:48 PM

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I have learned to avoid the social media site where "haters" and "whiners" are free to vent their poison and ill informed illogical opinions to the world. Clemson is well on the way to a great season. Many of the so called fans are vocally unhappy. I do not choose to associate with, or subject myself to their hopeless negativity; so yes, I have avoided the social media sites. That doesn't mean I do not support the Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2013, 11:14 PM

I want to address "Where did you go?" Prior to the Florida State game there were 3 news stories that kept Clemson fans, I am a lifer, clamoring every college football information site: 1. National Championship possibilities, 2. ACC Championship possibility, and 3. Heisman Trophy candidate. The Royal flush in college football. Every top 10 team playing on any given Saturday could affect our national standing. Every Heisman candidate had to be closely analyzed, stats per game compared to Boyd. Every win/loss in the ACC scrutinized, looking for strengths and weaknesses in possible title stealing opponents. The loss to Florida State had absolutely no affect on my passion for Clemson football, but it had a dramatic affect on my online searches. There was no longer the need for a Clemson fan to hold out hope for a National Title. The ACC Atlantic division includes both FSU and Clemson, so the panting after the title had to be reigned in. Boyd is a phenomenal player who played arguably his worst game to date against FSU, so his Heisman hopes, and those of the Tiger Nation were put to bed. Clemson passion has gone nowhere. Our appreciation for the best team we've fielded since 1981 is as hot as ever. Reality on the points noted above has affected our participation in online sites. We are not in the run for the National Title so we're not in the conversations online. Our ACC title hopes rest in the hope that FSU loses 2 games....not something to argue vehemently about online. Hey, we can hope, wait, and see. That's it for a fan. Boyd is out of the Heisman talk, but still high in the hearts of Clemson fans. No need to stalk the sites discussing the top candidates. This seems to all be common sense to me.

The boor birds on the boards make them unreadable

Nov 11, 2013, 12:22 AM

So I don't come by as often. There is a contingency of fans online that are just happier complaining, and I don't like being around them. Losses, even when Clemson is one of the best teams in the country, are actually their favorite thing to discuss. It's just too negative here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU rape + UVA/UMD yawners + bye = perfect storm (of calm).

Nov 11, 2013, 1:02 AM

I guess many fans put in a lot of online time researching, discussing, and joyfully pondering the possibilities of ACC & national titles. Once Lucy pulled the football away and that came crashing down, those fans were burnt out. Couple that with yawner games against weaklings UVA & UMD and an open week, and you've got a recipe a "Perfect Calm".

I actually watched Clemson and other teams play so I never thought we were national championship material and I thought we'd lose to FSU-- though I thought it would be more like a 10-14 point loss, not a gang rape. But I'm not surprised, so my world didn't come crashing down like it did for the Koolaid crowd. So I'm still here.

My opinion,

Nov 11, 2013, 1:20 AM

"Yes, Clemson lost at home to FSU, but that might just be the best team in the country this season."

Who cares if Florida St ends up winning the National Championship? We lost that game. BADLY. We lost. Period.

With that said, I love Clemson and so much is still on the table but I'm voicing the concern for fans and family that are not quite as excited as I am about a potential BCS berth. I am constantly having to defend that our team deserves to be ranked in the top ten and it's hard.

Clemson fans have moved onto basketball season.

Nov 11, 2013, 2:34 AM

Football season is merely something to occupy the time until hoops season starts.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^^Now that is funny^^***

Nov 11, 2013, 10:11 AM

Beat SC and the fans will be back. Lose, and it's just ....

Nov 11, 2013, 7:00 AM

another season where we failed to win the big games AGAIN. It's true that most of the ACC is downright awful. We have feasted on those awful teams, which is impressive to watch. But, the perception remains that we cannot get to the level where we are taken seriously with the big boys. If we can beat SC on the road, we can then have one more chance to win the BIG game in a BCS bowl. One of these days we have to win the big one to be legitimately taken as a Top 10. Until then .....we will still be just a good team.

Re: Beat SC and the fans will be back.YES!***

Nov 11, 2013, 8:09 AM

Yea, we aren't taken seriously by the big boys so that is

Nov 11, 2013, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Beat SC and the fans will be back. Lose, and it's just .... ]

why the COACHES have us ranked so high? Understand? For certain casual fans that put all their emphasis on the UCS game, then that game will be the only one that matters, that is why I consider them casual fans. Thankfully the rest of the college football world don't rate Clemson on ONE game.

Busy on healthcare.gov ******

Nov 11, 2013, 7:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

^^Winner Winner Chicken Dinner^^***

Nov 11, 2013, 10:24 AM

We were told ''clemsoning'' was over - way over! then

Nov 11, 2013, 8:07 AM

FSuck - if Tigers had just played tough and kept score decent but WV all over again. Many more fans wiil be lost if we lose to Usuck!

Nov 11, 2013, 8:50 AM

We are right where Dabo and his staff put us....on the outside looking in. Dabo is more excluding than was TB. Restricting access, closing all practices and scrimmages, restricting the press access, and having a general "we want you when we want you but don't get too close attitude". I can't put my finger on it, but there is a touch of "arrogance" that comes with this new football coaches demeanor. Not just Dabo but all major programs now. Some worse than others. That well guarded glass palace they reside behind has built a wall between the fans and the staff. It creates a huge disconnect by design. It looks nice, but it is very excluding. Well this is what you get when you have that feel. He had better win or the fans will be equally as excluding and there will be NO personal connection to allow any lead way. You are witnessing that fact. IMHO.

Why do you feel you need more access to the team? Wasn't

Nov 11, 2013, 9:59 AM

that how Miami got in trouble with the NCAA? Too much access by the casual fan. Tiger football isn't a social club, it's a FOOTBALL TEAM trying to prepare for games. Been watching Tiger football for 66 years and never felt I was EXCLUDED by not being invited to practices, why would I??????

Nov 11, 2013, 9:44 AM

Obviously the FSU heartbraker plays into this. But the fact that loss also shut us out of the ACC hurt me even more. Right or Wrong, that was a huge deflate.

Psychologically, deep Clemson fans have been hurt over the years (recent and not recent). It is normal to pull back and insulate a bit. The way Clemson lost to FSU (first snap) hurt our pride as we love this school and hate to see it open itself up to the absurdity of the media/college fans.

The flip side is that deep connection also means that the fans never "leave" and never stop believeing. A win over Ga Tech will bring in the folds. After we beat USC, full force once again. Last note, these "missing" fans are all watching and very involved. How many people in the Valley is the true measure. They wil be there, albeit holding their breath.

Its bad when..

Nov 11, 2013, 10:29 AM

..you make a statement with factual information (that is sometimes hard to swallow), and then have to put a disclaimer with it saying youll get castrated or crucified for saying it on this forum.

Huh? Measuring fan commitment with website hits?

Nov 11, 2013, 11:11 AM

"Anyone out there know the reason for the lack of excitement? Did the FSU loss hurt that much? Does that loss mean many casual fans think this means a certain loss to South Carolina?"

First ... Yes - FSU hurt that much. As many mentioned already, the Tigers didn't just lose. They were destroyed in humiliating fashion at home. I'm not sure I can relate to the CU fan who jumped right back on the RAH RAH GO TEAM roller coaster the next day. Dabo and Co. helped to create this hungry, salivating fanbase. We (the fans) don't control the roller coaster. We just ride it week in and week out during the pre. reg. and post season.

Second ... not sure what you mean by the "casual fans." I don't think many casual fans spend their time researching, reading, and posting on football related websites. Casual fans turn on the TV on Saturdays during the Fall.

Third ... Yes, many fans believe that if the team that played FSU shows up in Columbia on the 30th we will without a doubt lose. Folks can say - oh that will never happen. I've heard that before. In fact, I mentioned the dreaded O bowl right before the FSU game and got laughed at. Oh that will never happen. It happened.

I'm not excited. I'm nervous. I want nothing more that to see the Tigers win out. But I admittedly believe it ain't even close to a sure thing. I'm not excited about GT. I'm nervous. We could lose. I'm not excited about the Citadel. I'm nervous. Who knows why. I'm not excited about Scar. I'm nervous.

5 down will be a tough pill to swallow. But ... it could happen. I hope it goes the other way for sure. And I can assure you ... if we go into the 4th qtr up by 21, I'll be excited again. If the clock hits 00 and we're even just 1 point up, I'll be excited again.

As far as measuring fan commitment based on website hits ... just seems silly to me. I surf websites and read when I want to learn something, shop for something, and/or engage in conversation and debate about something. This usually happens when I'm excited about something. When I'm nervous, I wait quietly to see what happens next. (Important national and local news stories don't count in this scenario.)

That said, I'll be in the stands for GT and the Citadel and I'll drag by butt back to my seats next year (and many years to come) regardless of how this season ends. However, my website activity may vary.

I'm still here.

Nov 11, 2013, 12:06 PM

I have to cut wood and tend a fire cause it's cold already up here on this mountain. But, I'm still here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Must Win

Nov 11, 2013, 12:29 PM

After 4 years of losses to the coots, we MUST win this year! There is NO ACC championship game after the coot game, so the guys have to leave it on this field this time. Hold NOTHING back and go for broke! I victory against the coots will go a long way towards next years' goals. Just my opinion.

Articles like these have helped build Apathy into our fans.

Nov 11, 2013, 1:45 PM

You have done a good job convincing us that we have no chance of beating "best team in the country" FSU and "best South Carolina team we have ever faced". Each time we lose and you write articles about how we aren't supposed to beat good teams, more fans buy into the mediocrity hype you are so desperate for us to swallow.

Then you complain about losing hits on your website...

Crazynuts! I have MECCA on the phone as we speak

Nov 11, 2013, 1:51 PM

wanting to know how we do it. Uncool read

This is worse than worrying about rankings

Nov 11, 2013, 3:08 PM

We all still bleed Orange

see my new post for the simple expanation***

Nov 11, 2013, 4:14 PM

Nov 12, 2013, 6:23 PM

I think a lot of fans were turned off not by losing but in the fashion in how we lost. Basically Clemson did not even show up. If CU loses by 10-14, then I think its a loss the fans can deal with. Most of us fans thought that the not showing up "Orange Bowl" type games were a thing of the past. Maybe not. At least Miami fought hard through 2 quarters in their loss. FSU is a great team but Clemson has to keep it together better than what happened that night. Let win out and finally beat SC and get to a BSC Bowl!

I feel bad for the girl who has to birth a BCS bowl...

Nov 12, 2013, 6:34 PM

talk about a hot dog down a hallway. ;)

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic