»
Topic: Doeren decision on penalties again costly
Replies: 9   Last Post: Nov 11, 2019 2:39 PM by: WhoDatTiger®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 9  

Doeren decision on penalties again costly

[1]
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 1:01 PM

2nd straight year boneheaded move, this year taking a holding penalty for a 3rd and 14 rather than forcing an obvious 4th down fg. tee higgins td on next play.

last yr he declined a hold and setup 3rd down conversion. tee higgins td 2 plays later

When the Clemson offense is firing on all cylinders...

[1]
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 1:03 PM

down and distance is irrelevant.

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Doeren decision on penalties again costly

[4]
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 1:17 PM

I think this is one of those situations where he probably made the right call, but it just didn't end up working out that way. We were actually going to have a 4th and 1 from the 20 had he declined the penalty because we gained 3 yards on the 3rd and 4th play. That means we either could've gone for it on 4th and 1, or attempted a 37 yard FG.

By accepting the penalty it opens the door for more positive outcomes for their defense. If we thrown an incomplete pass then we'd be facing a 50 yard FG. If they get a sack then maybe we end up having to punt, or maybe we even turn the ball over in an attempt to convert the 3rd and long. Obviously it ended up not working out for him, but I don't think it was a stupid decision.

Agree. I would've for sure accepted.***

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 2:04 PM

Re: Doeren decision on penalties again costly

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 2:09 PM

He not only made the right decision, he made the only decision. Every coach in football would have accepted that penalty in that exact scenario.

The football iq on this board never ceases to amaze me.

I would've declined if it left us in like 4th and 3 or

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 2:25 PM

longer. I would happily let Clemson attempt a 37-40 yard FG this year and assume they miss close to half the time. I would not want to leave a 4th and 1 or 2 where Clemson probably goes for it though.

About the same as when we played FSU back in the day

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 1:54 PM

I can still remember sitting on the hill watching us play FSU when they had Peter Warrick and I clearly remember thinking every down we get through without a first down is a small victory, even if it meant declining some penalties. Also remember thinking I hope it is third and short instead of third and long because it was more likely they'd attempt a run, instead of a pass.

We had Warrick rattled early in the game, with Dillards bags hanging from a balloon, but he warmed up in the second half and they escaped with a win.

I was shocked when I saw him accept that penalty.***

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 1:58 PM

2020 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.

We probably go for it and pick it up on 4th and 1 though

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 2:37 PM

With 3rd and 14 if you hold Clemson to anything less than ~10 yards they have to attempt a FG and possibly a long FG.

Ole Dave is a mediocre FCS coach at best.***

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 2:39 PM

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Psychiatrist: What seems to be the problem? Patient: I think I'm a chicken. Psychiatrist: How long as this been going on? Patient: Ever since I came out of my shell.

Replies: 9  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: I pay 3600 a year Pay half and can buy 4 tickets lower deck on about 30 yd line at the cost of seas...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
1259 people have read this post