Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaches' Salaries Likely To Increase a LOT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Coaches' Salaries Likely To Increase a LOT

Dec 8, 2018, 1:26 PM

For almost 50 years or more, we've seen salaries for head coaches & assistants continue to grow at a hefty rate. With each new barrier broken, we tend to think, "Guess they can't get much higher." We're always wrong.

Back around the '80s, lots of people thought Danny Ford & other HCs were making CRAZY money - around $400K+ by the decade's end. [Note: Even then, until it was changed, there was a SC law saying no state employee could be paid more than the governor - in SALARY. So to make more, it had to be from shoe contracts, bonuses, annuities, TV deals & other "creative financing." Sometime before/after Danny left, that impractical law was changed].

Frank Howard said in the '80s - "Some-a these coaches make mo' in a year than I made my whole life!"

In the '90s, salaries for top HCs were closing in on $1-mil and more. The 2000s saw the top coaches starting to hit the $1.5 - $3-Mil mark. By 2015 it wasn't weird for tip-top HCs to get $5-mil+ annually. Now, the top 25 HCs are reeling in between $3 & $11-Mil & more.

Skyrocketing salaries show no sign of slowing. They really never have.

It wouldn't shock me to see the top people making between $12 to $25-Mil per year by 2030. That might even be too low.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually disagree

Dec 8, 2018, 1:33 PM

At some point you will see a "bursting" of sorts of the college football bubble. Attendance is down, and the new cord-cutting movement makes traditional sports channels far less valuable, and therefore less able to pay schools and/or their networks more money.

College football will always be popular and profitable, but at some point it is due for a "correction," to use market terms.

Just an opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When more key players stop going to Bowl Games, and fans

Dec 8, 2018, 1:45 PM

decide that 6,000 dollars a year for 7 games , where ony 3 to 4 of them at most are big games,and the other 3 are jokes.....and they, the fans, decide they could go on a heckuva vacation for 6 grand....the salaries are gonna drop over night....

Bowl games were already heading down hill anyway

Dec 8, 2018, 1:49 PM

I could hardly care less about guys skipping bowls. Until somebody chooses to skip the CFP in favor of draft prep it's a huge non-story IMO.

Yeah, it's pretty unclear what direction things are going

Dec 8, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to I actually disagree ]

to go in terms of rights deals. When the next round of negotiations occur the cable companies are going to be in a much weaker position. I think the big question is whether or not that drives the entire market down and leads to smaller, less lucrative rights deals for the conference or will new players like Amazon, Facebook Live, etc emerge and make a serious push for CFB content?

In a way ESPN has created its own monster - the sport is

Dec 8, 2018, 4:39 PM

much higher in national popularity now than it was before ESPN cranked up their investments and exposure decades ago.

Even if the rights deals and access changes considerably from the cable model that's gotten us here, there are still going to be distributors willing to pay big bucks to be a part of it. Cable subscribers may drop, but streaming channel subscriptions will rise accordingly. YouTube will eventually block game replays and force subscriptions to that kind of access.

I don't see a big drop coming in salaries, though you would think the growth rate would slow and levels may stabilize more.

I like the talk that's going on that's encouraging getting rid of divisions. I think that would make our regular seasons much better overall, along with many other Power 5 schools, with having more variety and new stadiums to travel to.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazon is

Dec 8, 2018, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Yeah, it's pretty unclear what direction things are going ]

going to be bidding for the Regional Fox Sports Networks.

Do you realize that the ACC Network means you'll have to pay for many ACC games including Clemson games? that'll add ~ $5 - $10 to your cable, Sling, or Hulu bill each month.

Will you pay it?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I actually disagree

Dec 8, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to I actually disagree ]

If you're right, it will be a "first."

In the early-mid '30s, N.Dame's Rockne was paid $75,000 per year - in the Great Depression. In today's money that would be $1.5-mil per year.

Rockne was the Saban of that time. Nobody was even close to him in $$$.

Then his plane crashed - and that was that.

Re: Coaches' Salaries Likely To Increase a LOT

Dec 8, 2018, 1:57 PM

TNet commenters deserve a raise too. We're all in this together.

Dec 8, 2018, 1:58 PM

I think we are at the point where the revenue growth will start to slow down.

With the new tax laws hurting donations and cord cutters hurting the TV contracts, I think schools will eventually feel it. Then you add in the politics. I saw Clemson requested $8 million from the state to prevent them from having to raise tuition. That's a hard sell when your football coach is making more than $6 million.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Haven't we already established that the impact of a

Dec 8, 2018, 2:03 PM

successful football program on a school more than justifies expenditures such as a coaches salary? Football actually turns a profit.

Re: Haven't we already established that the impact of a

Dec 8, 2018, 2:06 PM

True....and reduced salaries should mean more job security for the coaches as a philosophy.

Dec 8, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Haven't we already established that the impact of a ]

Apparently not

https://www.independentmail.com/story/news/2018/12/08/clemson-university-tuition-increase-south-carolina-general-assembly-appropriation-fiscal-budget/2190705002/

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 8, 2018, 2:49 PM

Great article on fiscal responsibilities of the state of SC for state colleges. But has nothing to do with this conversation unless you are implying that football should be paying state colleges.

Your coach would be making $6 million annually too...

Dec 8, 2018, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaches' Salaries Likely To Increase a LOT ]

if he was worth a d@mn or if you could get more than 5,800 to show-up for the Akron game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 8, 2018, 2:30 PM

By 2030 that's a lock. We all know Harbaugh deserves more.

Dec 8, 2018, 2:43 PM

It's baffled me for several years why Harbaugh isn't making S15-20-Mil per year. A guy who let OhioST hang only 62 on him PROVES he's worth it (yuk-yuk).

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic