Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When DF was fired the Clemson fan base became very divided
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

When DF was fired the Clemson fan base became very divided

Jun 15, 2015, 11:51 AM

through the days of Ken Hatfield, Tommy West, Tommy Bowden and even earlier under Dabo. DF was a Clemson Icon and a difficult pair of shoes to replace.IMO Jack Leggett was a Clemson Icon too. He is going to be hard to replace as well. Now we have a divided fan base due to JL's firing. I hope Clemson fans will pull together sooner than later and do What is Best for Clemson University.

" a house divided cannot stand ". IMO the division with in the Clemson fan base is one of the reasons it took the football program so long to recover from DF's firing. I hope the baseball program can recover much sooner than it took our football program. But IMO it will take a united fan base and a lot of support for the baseball program.

Go Tigers and Good Luck to the new Baseball HC and staff!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Difference is Danny was winning when he got fired

Jun 15, 2015, 11:55 AM

and then Ken Hatfield lost to the white meat with a national championship caliber team

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My post is more about the division within our fan base and

Jun 15, 2015, 12:06 PM

how that will affect the baseball program as we move forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My post is more about the division within our fan base and

Jun 15, 2015, 12:36 PM

Fan base isnt that divided. Most think a change needed to be made.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

We'll put some on the 3rd base side and the others on the

Jun 15, 2015, 1:17 PM [ in reply to My post is more about the division within our fan base and ]

1st base side. Behind home-plate can be for those that are truly neutral or instigators.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I should have elaborated in my response

Jun 15, 2015, 1:27 PM [ in reply to My post is more about the division within our fan base and ]

because of the differences I pointed out in my previous post, I believe that less of the fan base is divided, and that the division is far less severe than it was when Coach Ford was fired.

As long as we don't hire a Ken-Hatfield type to run the program into the ground, I don't foresee the fanbase having trouble coming back together to support the team.

Re: Difference is Danny was winning when he got fired

Jun 15, 2015, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Difference is Danny was winning when he got fired ]

Clemson had to come from behind to beat VA DF's last year. Being the first coach to lose to VA was coming sooner or later. I hate we lost Danny but in reality he had a simular trait to Legget -Stubborn and would not back off his demand for a football dorm even tho it was against NCAA regulations. For the record I think our President at that time was a class A prick.

Wrong. NC State was building a Taj Mahal as were other

Jun 15, 2015, 1:03 PM

schools for players to live in. Danny was lobbying for one to keep up, just like we do now with facilities. The NCAA at the time started talking about making changes, but it didn't become a rule until at least 2 years after Ford was fired. I sat in Mauldin Hall watching our players ohhh and awww looking at recruiting brochures put out by NC State showing what they were building.

null

Hatfield was battling opponents and some Clemson "fans".

Jun 15, 2015, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Difference is Danny was winning when he got fired ]

He never had a chance.

Re: When DF was fired the Clemson fan base became very divided

Jun 15, 2015, 12:07 PM

Danny was winning Championships. Program was not stagnant and heading in the wrong direction.

null

Problem was those coaches were all not good to terrible

Jun 15, 2015, 12:14 PM

Bowden was necessary to undue Hatfield and West. UVA went from baseball program on the chopping block to CWS from a good coach. Fans cared nothing for baseball. Vanderbilt also has arrived from good coaching where there was little fan support. While I would like a united Clemson, I think the right coach will win either way. It's not easy to win at Clemson since we don't sell our souls for championships.

A George divided cannot stand....******

Jun 15, 2015, 12:31 PM

If relationship Clemson walks through that door, he will

Jun 15, 2015, 12:52 PM

Kill independent Clemson.

Jun 15, 2015, 12:54 PM

There's a big difference, when Danny Ford was let go the football team was one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the country. If Ford had stayed they would have had a great shot at another NC in next 2 years. He left with the best talent that he had the whole time he was here, including the NC team. With Leggett the baseball program is as far down as it has been in at least 57 years (Wilhelm and Leggett's years here). It's not like it's a 1 year thing it's been down for 4 or 5 years. So there is no comparsion, not even close. If you want the best for the baseball program you would look at it no other way.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Zero fans were in favor of the DF firing....it was some

Jun 15, 2015, 12:54 PM

disgruntled faculty who were in favor of the firing. Not the fanbase.

And there is no comparison between the two. DF brought us a NC. Jack Leg brought us.....what again?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

0-4 vs. USCjr. in Omaha with 2 of the best teams we ever had***

Jun 15, 2015, 1:05 PM

null

Re: 0-4 vs. USCjr. in Omaha with 2 of the best teams we ever had***

Jun 15, 2015, 1:07 PM

Yep. There's that. Though I firmly believe the '95 team was the best team (talent-wise) we ever had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Wrong. The fan base was furious over Danny's situation and

Jun 15, 2015, 12:57 PM

it only became divided with the Hatfield hire. Fans voted the only way they can, donations and attendance. Most fans are well past ready for Jack to go. Attendance has been in decline. Only a sect here on TNET that predictably puts coaches on a pedestal and above the program and school are divided.

null

I don't remember it that way! (LONG)

Jun 15, 2015, 3:17 PM

As I recall, half of the fan base was furious because Danny was fired, and the other half was mad at the size of his severance. I am amazed at some of today's comments about Coach Ford. If you think that he was universally loved, you were either too young or were not paying attention. I think that his most vocal critics thought that the offense was too conservative. I also heard comments that the team did not really improve as the year progressed. Their point was that the coaching was not effective. I don't think that comment was true or fair, but people will complain about anything.

Personally, I loved "three yards and a cloud of dust" football. I would be happy with the fullback as the team MVP, but I don't think that you can get by with that these days. The most frustrating game I remember during the Ford era was the 1987 Clemson-Carolina game. They stacked the box the entire game, and we couldn't do anything offensively. Our defense kept things close, and a late Clucker fumble gave us a chance to win the game. Instead of opening things up, our offense came out with double tight ends. We lost.

Coach Larry Vander Hayden coached the offensive line, and those guys were a machine. I don't think that he received the credit he deserved. Between Coach Ford and Coach Vander Hayden, we had great offensive lines during the '80s.

Also, the faculty did not run off Coach Ford. The cardinal sin at Clemson is going against the Board of Trustees. He crossed the line when he ignored the BOT's rejection of a football dorm and went to Columbia to lobby the state legislature. That sealed his fate. The NCAA was investigating us again, but that didn't do it. They didn't find anything major in the late '80s. Coach Ford was fired by the BOT.

Coach Ford did A LOT for Clemson football. He didn't do as much for the university. I am pleased to say that Dabo is good at both. We can celebrate the achievements of Coach Ford, but he had his critics. I guess that we all do.

Re: Well, until Dabo wins a NC I don't see how you can say

Jun 15, 2015, 3:32 PM

that Dabo is "better at both". If he does, I'll be the first to agree. But until then, no way no how.

Excellent post. Ford was a great coach, but far from perfect.

Jun 15, 2015, 5:02 PM [ in reply to I don't remember it that way! (LONG) ]

I agree that his mistake was publicly going against the Board of Trustees and President. He thought he was bigger than Clemson, and he found out the hard way that he wasn't.

Max Lennon was a jerk, but people who solely blame him for Ford being fired are being short-sighted.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

up the middle up the middle incomplete punt

Jun 16, 2015, 5:25 AM [ in reply to I don't remember it that way! (LONG) ]

repeat

Re: up the middle up the middle incomplete punt

Jun 16, 2015, 7:40 AM

It wasn't like that every game because we had a lot of wins back then; however, there were times when we couldn't move the ball and there didn't seem to be any move to trying something different.

I remember watching some teams pass and catch. The ball actually reached the receiver and he caught it!!!

take a guess at how many drop baseball season tickets

Jun 15, 2015, 1:00 PM

because they are mad about the Leggett firing.

I'd guess about 10, maybe less.

And I'd also guess there will be an overall increase in season ticket sales and attendance next season.

Depends on the hire but you're probably right.***

Jun 15, 2015, 1:32 PM

Jun 15, 2015, 3:47 PM

When Danny was fired I kept my 6 seats on the 50 at the bottom of the South Upper Deck for one year. When Hilderbrand called me to see why I had not renewed my tickets I told him for every year that Hatfield was at Clemson I would not buy tickets for 2 years. I kept my promise.

I brought season tickets to baseball in 2009 for one year. As a former baseball player, after watching a Jack coached team for an entire season I decided that I did not understand the game that they were playing. I haven't purchase baseball tickets since even though I did help steer a couple of current players to the program. I regret that those families don't call me for advice any more.

I ready to see real baseball played in Clemson next season.

No big deal. Baseball fanbase only about 10% of football

Jun 15, 2015, 4:33 PM

fanbase.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly, cannot compare baseball to football

Jun 16, 2015, 7:32 AM

far fewer people have a real stake in the baseball program. Their really is no comparison here at all

yeeeeaaa....Hatfield+#1 Defense in the country=

Jun 16, 2015, 3:10 AM

You should not post ever again

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic