Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson

Nov 21, 2018, 7:01 AM

College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson

The fourth installment of the College Football Playoff rankings was released Tuesday night, and while Clemson was ranked in the second spot, committee chair Rob Mullens said there was a discussion of flipping No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever... Line'em up. MEN ON A MISSION.***

Nov 21, 2018, 7:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whatever... Line'em up. MEN ON A MISSION.***

Nov 21, 2018, 8:09 AM

I'm with you. As long as we are in the playoff, I'm not concerned about which spot.

Nov 21, 2018, 9:39 AM

It could be that the Mich D could be stronger than the ND D, anybody agree?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2018, 9:54 AM

That was my first thought. I think they want Alabama matched up with Notre Dame in the first round, and can’t justify moving Michigan to #3 with a loss to ND. Look for Michigan to jump ND after they play an extra conference championship game.

This is most likely.***

Nov 21, 2018, 1:35 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson

Nov 21, 2018, 7:07 AM

:)

Re: TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson

Nov 21, 2018, 7:18 AM

As long as we’re the last team standing, I would rather stay at 2 until the end.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2018, 7:18 AM

Sounds to me like they would prefer Clemson at the top so when they sneak another SEC team in at #4, their chances of another all SEC final increase. They can’t have an Alabama/LSU or an Alabama/Georgia matchup in the semifinals. Of course they could try Alabama, LSU and Georgia as #2,#3 and #4.

Very perceptive...***

Nov 21, 2018, 7:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very perceptive...***

Nov 21, 2018, 9:42 AM

Saying what they have said this week, could be a set up to that's what they are thinking!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please remind me why a group of ADs, former coaches, former

Nov 21, 2018, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson ]

players, etc from all over the country, headed by the AD at OREGON (that's in the PAC 12 in case you forgot), would want to lead a pro-SEC conspiracy.

Re: Please remind me why a group of ADs, former coaches, former

Nov 21, 2018, 11:32 AM

I do not think there is a pro-SEC conspiracy. I think they are genuinely trying to find the "best teams". I just do not agree with that premise. How can you be the "best team" if you can even win your conference championship?
But I know I'm in the minority on this.

Go Tigers! Win it with whatever the rules are!

Nov 21, 2018, 11:40 AM

I think it's quite possible for the best teams to have a bad week and lose a game. If that game happens to be against the right team it could potentially cost a team the chance to win their conference. I'm sure you don't think that Pitt in 2016 or Cuse last year was a better team than we were, but we did lose to them. Ole Miss in 2015 wasn't better than Bama.

I think the same concept applies to 2016 Ohio State that was 11-1 with a loss to Penn State that went on to finish 11-3. Same with Bama last year that lost to Auburn. Last year's 13-1 Bama ultimately proved to be better than 11-4 Auburn even though Auburn beat them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Please remind me why a group of ADs, former coaches, former ]

Here is what I think, big time cash can buy what they want 90% of the time, and the SEC has big time cash backing them as in ESECPN. If two sec teams get in the playoffs at the finale curtain call, ESECPN has it their way again for making more cash from the SEC appearance in the playoffs X 2 teams in!!! Same as the BCS national championship days. Big Money makes more big money, they have their cake and eat it!!! About the same as with ND and NBC!!!

Nov 21, 2018, 1:27 PM

How exactly does ESPN get more money if more than 1 SEC team gets into the CFP?

Nov 21, 2018, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Please remind me why a group of ADs, former coaches, former ]

Its no secret the media had a huge hand in the playoff architecture, as did the prior BCS contracts concerning the big BCS bowls.

Read "Death to the BCS". Its exposes what was basically a pay to play scheme among conferences, their teams, and the BCS. During the BCS era, the bowls and ranking system was financially incentivized to try to keep certain teams and conferences at the top. Add the fact that we now have huge conference network contracts, and that scheme is even worse.

The BCS didnt just go away because of fraud, oh no. They also went away because of the multiple FBI investigations into the organization, one which is still ongoing.

And, the SEC was one of the biggest players in this system. The book outlines all of it, all the way down to the way the SEC figured out how to play the media and their schedules to make sure they always got BCS attention.

They playoff system is based on the corrupt BCS system, and they have some of the same players in place to make sure the cash flow continues.

Bottom line, they are financially incentivized to pump SEC teams, and the media is contractually obligated to hype them.

Nov 21, 2018, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson ]

I think the only way 2 SEC teams get in is for UGA to beat Alabama. In that case Bama gets in regardless. Then it will be Clemson/UA in a rematch of Sugar Bowl last year. But who knows...it's an invitational tournament anyway, not a playoff!
In my opinion, if you can't even win your conference championship, you shouldn't be able to play for the National Championship! (How can you really say you're the best team in the country if you don't win your conference championship?) Conference game losers should be out! The committee should be asked to pick the best "Conference Champions", not "the best teams". That would eliminate the possibility of 2 SEC teams (or 2 teams from any conference) in the playoffs, and might even open up a Group of 5 possibility. And Alabama should never have been allowed to play for NC last year or in 2011.
But TV wants the "best teams" so we have this invitational tournament.

Nov 21, 2018, 1:32 PM

Was Clemson the best team when we won the NC in 2016? Would we not have been the best team if Pitt were in our division, and their win over us got them into the ACC Championship game instead of us? We would've lost that game the same as we did anyway with the only difference being the loss didn't cost us our spot in the ACC Championship.

More realistic would be a season where FSU is really good, and we were to lose a close game against them on the road and we finish the season at 11-1. How would that make us less of a deserving team then losing to a 7-5 conference team instead which would allow us to still win our division?

I'm sure that discussion was brief***

Nov 21, 2018, 7:46 AM

Nov 21, 2018, 7:51 AM

What? Nobody thinks this is because the committee believes Michigan would be a tougher game than Notre Dame?!

Well, they ain’t foolin’ ol’ Uncle Bill.... I’m keeping an eye on these fellas!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

If they have discussed UGAy so much then they also

Nov 21, 2018, 7:58 AM

need to mention WSU. They are playing solid D to go with Leach's O.

Nov 21, 2018, 7:59 AM

Oh no no no...Bama has their own bus. Let them have it. Dabo is driving the ROY bus and not slowing down until he crosses the finish line in the Natty.

Nov 21, 2018, 8:24 AM

I say we use that ROY bus to roll over everyone in front of us.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Nov 21, 2018, 8:57 AM

Should not be discussed...Alabama should be #1 until they are beat, which will happen when Clemson beats them!

Nov 21, 2018, 9:10 AM

Vegas oddsmakers say if we meet ND in the semi finals we're a 11.5 point favorite.

Nov 21, 2018, 9:48 AM

What do they say if we play Mich?

Nov 22, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson ]

Yep, I watched their game with Syracuse, I was thinking if Cuse would have lost Dungey over us losing TL, it would have been a worse beat down than what ND had done. Once you wear the opposing D down bc their offense goes 3 and out about every series, beating them would be as easy as clubbing baby seals!!!!

Nov 21, 2018, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College Football Playoff Committee discussed flipping Alabama and Clemson ]

Yes absolutely, how can they all say out one side of their mouth that Clemson is the only team that has a "Chance" to beat Bama, then out the other side, switch them around in the rankings. That act would surely prove they try to work it to be as they want it at the end!!!

I’d prefer we stay at #2...keep the chip on the shoulder

Nov 21, 2018, 10:00 AM

and add it to the revenge factor!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

If we're druthering...

Nov 21, 2018, 4:57 PM

I'd druther have Alabama and stomp their butts in the first round. I'd be happy if UGA beat them and the POC dropped them to 4th. That way we could beat two SEC teams and STF ESPN UP. At least until the way too early preseason polls for next year which would be out the following morning after the PO final round.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to see the flip - would prefer playing 4***

Nov 21, 2018, 10:06 AM

Nov 21, 2018, 10:24 AM

None of this matters since the committee would place more value on a Bama win over UGA than a Clemson win over Pitt and move them back to #1. What they should make public is who is ranked where if UGA knocks off Bama. That’s the real task of the committee to determine the fallout. Make no mistake they already know what they will do, they just haven’t told us.

Saban would love nothing more

Nov 21, 2018, 11:28 AM

than for the committee to feed us rat poison and help him fire up his team.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2018, 11:28 AM

Now y'all realize that Clemson has a former coach on the committee. Ken Hatfield is on the committee ...don't if that's good or bad.

Nov 21, 2018, 11:44 AM

Wouldn't Hatfield be recused from any discussion involving Clemson since he has a prior affiliation? Dan Radakovich was always recused from discussing Clemson. People with current or prior affiliations with a specific school have to leave the room when that team is being discussed.

Nov 21, 2018, 12:55 PM

Nope leave us where we're at... 2 spit is cursed

The CFP committee is obviously influenced by ESPN.

Nov 21, 2018, 4:54 PM

ND beat UM, that's the foundation of the rankings. A few weeks ago it was believed that ND was the better team. UM has done enough to be considered better than ND now.

I predicted they would flip us last week so that Bama would draw the easiest opponent which assures them of a first round game. Strangely enough, ESPN's FPI shows us ahead of Bama this week. No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. We've watched ESPN's favoritism to the SEC since the onset of the BCS rankings.

I predict we will play UM in the first round.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2018, 4:57 PM

ND has played too many ACC teams. Thus the flip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic