Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My son did not get in...bridged
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 96
| visibility 1,151

My son did not get in...bridged

Feb 12, 2018, 4:06 PM

He has over a 4.0 GPA at a great school and four AP classes with three A's and one B. 1250 SAT, not the best, but not bad.

Classmates with significantly lower GPA's are in.

He's at a loss. Verge of tears. It's the only place he wanted to go, but now I think he will go somewhere else. Somewhere he's wanted.

I can't begin to relay my disappointment with Clemson admissions. He would have given back for a lifetime. Now Clemson is on the verge of losing both of us.

It's been great hanging out with all of you, but I'll be taking a break.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife did the Bridge, and now has a Clemson diploma.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

The end result won't mention anything about the Bridge program and he'll get better living arrangements the first year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My wife did the Bridge, and now has a Clemson diploma.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:24 PM

I would agree with taking the Bridge. My niece did it and it has worked great. My nephew did not get in and no amount of calls or lobbying helped. This comes from a family where three generations on both sides are graduates and where their grandfather is a professor emeritus. There are just too many legacies out there these days for it to count so it all goes back to quantifiable metrics.

I would also be cautious about comparing grades among kids even at the same high school, kids don't really know what grades their peers have and if the classes are more/less rigorous.

If he goes somewhere else it a decision for a lifetime so you don't want to make it while there are hurt feelings.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The bridge program is great. But

Feb 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

It will fill up within 48 hours

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My son did not get in...bridged

Feb 12, 2018, 4:15 PM

Go see Admissions, phone them, e-mail, write a letter. whatever. Ask them to take another look with all the things you have spelled out. I personally would write a letter. If they stand by their decision, ask for an explanation. I'm guessing they reached their number of admissions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:18 PM

Major choice may be the reason. Classmates may have applied for less competitive or less popular major. Sorry that happened.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:17 PM

Went through a similar situation with my daughter and nephew. My advice is to take some time to get over the hurt and anger.... then take the bridge!!!! He will not regret it! The decision to go elsewhere may or may not become a source of regret in the future. I know that it is hard, but we sometimes must just swallow our pride!

Feb 12, 2018, 5:33 PM

That is the biggest and hardest thing to do, swallowing that pride bc it gets stuck about half way down. But I promise you, once you get it down you will be glad you did, and it will help you through your life, and that is a fact bc I had to do to and that time my life was about my pride. I still have a heart full of pride, but I learned many years ago to not let it get in my way of doing what I have to do!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:17 PM

What major did he declare when applying?

Get in by any means necessary.***

Feb 12, 2018, 4:18 PM

Feb 12, 2018, 4:19 PM

Going to TCTC for a year as a bridge is not terribly much different than going to Clemson except for where you take your classes. He will get the same experience (games, the lake, parties, etc) because he's in the same place and for the same reason. I had a few friends with higher GPA's than me not get in when I got in as well, not sure why but it happens. They bridged and we are in the exact same boat now.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:20 PM

But he probably took a highly competitive major and that caused him to get bridged, it's not a downgrade it's only an adjustment to bridge.

Verge of tears? Nothing wrong with doing bridge.. it’s one year

hmm

The cooper river bridge?

Feb 12, 2018, 4:20 PM

What major did he declare? That SAT score should have been plenty unless he declared one of the more competitive majors (Nursing, Engineering).

Feb 12, 2018, 4:22 PM

Must be off the field issues, Dabo tends to write off recruits if there are any issues

Feb 12, 2018, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: My son did not get in...bridged ]

Go the bridge route and keep the dollar$ in your pocket. Freshman year is a significant waste of money to largely repeat what's been studied the past couple of years. With the cost of college, schools should seriously re-think their programs and the hours required.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: My son did not get in...bridged ]

1250 is not that high anymore. Lots of kids want to go to Clemson and a lot more are college ready than even a decade ago.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:13 PM

The SAT requirements have risen but not that substantially. I graduated this past year and I had friends with 1100's get in other majors with ease back in 2013. I know for a fact the minimum hasn't risen from 1100 to 1250 in 4 years.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:18 PM

Per the Clemson website the middle 50% range is 1230 to 1390, so 1250 is on the lower end.

Bridge Program

Feb 12, 2018, 4:22 PM

I actually had something similar happen... good grades, some extracurricular volunteering, decent SAT/ACT, and got the Bridge Program. Many of the folks I graduated with were in a similar spot.

At the end of the day, it's about how bad your son wants to get that Clemson degree. I made it in by the skin of my teeth to Clemson (turns out I wasn't as ready as I thought for college life) and graduated with the same margin (turns out I'm just not a great academic after all). Long story short, my entire career at Clemson was a fight to survive.

I loved every moment of it.

If your son wishes to pursue somewhere with less obstacles for admission, that is okay. I'm not saying Clemson admissions got it right either. What I am saying, and I feel I can speak for most on this board, is Clemson is worth it. If your son wants that Clemson degree, encourage him to fight for it. Appeal admissions, find an "easier major" to reapply to, do the bridge program. Fight for the things you want, tell him to fight for the things he wants.

Good luck.

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Fight for what you want in life" . . . excellent advice.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:54 PM

My Clemson degree is my greatest material possession - it is worth it.

Teach your young'in to fight for what he wants - not turn & run with anger & disappointment.

Tell him to SHOW the admissions staff they missed by becoming the Clemson Class President - earn a 4.0 - and walk back in there after 4 years and tell them it isn't JUST about metrics and numbers.

Best of luck to you guys ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

Agree about contacting Admissions. Even get with a Guidance counselor at his school to call. See if they are recruiting in a certain major. I know he doesn't want to go thru Bridge Program but alot of kids do, love it, snd have the Clemson Diploma. Do not give up!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somewhere he's wanted?

Feb 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

Come on now...they can't accept everybody. If they didn't want him, the Bridge wouldn't be an option! :)

I knew many bridge program kids while I was at Clemson and they all ended up with Clemson degrees!

I didn't go through the Bridge program, but I will say that my Clemson experience was like no other and those I knew who went through the Bridge said the same

Hang in there!

You CAN appeal.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:25 PM

But, acceptance into the Bridge program is not a rejection.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:26 PM

Take the Bridge program if he really wants to go to Clemson. The 1st year while done at TCCC all tranfers, he gets the same stuff as any other student as far as using facilites and experiences. The only downdise is you must live at the commuinty they say which is pretty pricey. If he REALLY wants to go to Clemson then he is gauranteed as long as he does the work in the Bridge program. It all boils down to numbers, especially in a declared major. Let the hurt wear off but do not wait as that program does fill up quickly.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:04 PM

Bridge students to live in new on campus housing (douthit hills) beginning in fall 2018 I think.

Feb 12, 2018, 6:52 PM

Actually they changed it to Calhoun Courts

GPA and test scores are not the only measure

Feb 12, 2018, 4:26 PM

Clemson admits based on criteria used by every other major university. It is not about the best of the best, they also need to bring in so many out of state, international, and racially diverse student population.

It sucks, but that is the country that liberalism has made us.

That's the American way

Feb 12, 2018, 7:08 PM

Blame somebody else for your problems. Good job!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:31 PM

I did the Bridge Program the 2nd year it was offered. I felt the same way your son does, but it is totally worth pursuing and costs is less the first year. Plus you definitely get better housing IMO. Good luck to him! Just make sure to apply ASAP when offered.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:31 PM

I'm assuming an in state kid. That's hard for me to swallow. Man things must have changed since the 70's. I do remember it being hard but still not like that. with a 4.0 and a 1250 I would think a lock for in state. I'd do like others have suggested and call, write, jump up and down or whatever you have to do and I think you'll get him in. Surely someone can find some way or loophole (if that's the right word). I certainly wouldn't throw in the towel without a good fight. If it were my son or daughter, I'd demand to talk to the pres. imo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:36 PM

Good luck talking to the president because his son didn't get in, and people say the younger crowd is the problem.

He didn't get denied, he just got accepted into the Bridge which is a fine program and the road still leads to a Clemson diploma.

It's not about where you start, it's where you finish.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:32 PM

My daughter bridged 2 years ago same situation. She loved it . We were told that they had 24,000 applicants for the incoming freshman class. They said that 3000 to Clemson and 800 to Tri County that year. We hear that there 26,000 applicants for this year's freshman class. FYI , those 800 spots in my daughter's class filled up in less than 1 week. Bottom line the foot is in the door.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:33 PM

The Bridge is a great program. Some times the major you choose impacts acceptance but I have info that there were 30,000 apps...way up with a 4.6 av GPA and 1330 SAT. That is pretty strong.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't let 5 minutes of disappointment cause a lifetime

Feb 12, 2018, 4:34 PM

of regret.

I bet there's 5000 kids out there who would LOVE to have been accepted into Bridge Program. There's really no difference at all any more. Like others have said, it's one year to get 3 (or more) more years as a Clemson student.

Then you have the next 50+ to be a Clemson graduate.

Don't make an unwise emotional choice.

If he does bridge, he is probably more likely

Feb 12, 2018, 4:35 PM

to keep the Life Scholarship all the way through.

I believe it's easier to get the 1st year grades up in Bridge than Clemson which is very important to keeping the Life Scholarship.

You can appeal***

Feb 12, 2018, 4:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:39 PM

I entered Clemson in 1961 from a small school in SC with a 940 SAT score. What a difference 57 years makes. Don't know anything about the bridge program but it sounds like a good option to me.

Good luck to your son.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:41 PM

Second everything already said... your Son wants to go to Clemson. So what if he spends one year off campus. You're going to teach him to quit and give up at the first sign of adversity? What kind of #### is that?!? Its 9 ####### months for a lifetime of memories.

Hunter Renfrow turned down full time scholarship offers to FBS schools (App State) to pursue his dream of playing for Clemson Football. He didn't quit when he was told he would have to take a preferred walk-on role. Teach your kid not to quit on what he wants. Sometimes you have to work for what you want.

To the Son - Take the #### bridge program offer, bust your ### and be a Clemson Alum for LIFE. Don't QUIT on what you want, WORK FOR IT

Feb 12, 2018, 7:18 PM

pretty sure the bridge program is housed on campus right behind where Clemson House used to be in brand new condo's. It's a stupid thing to cry about and EGO based complaining. In all likelihood Bridge will save money, increase grades, and give better housing than being a Clemson student. If you can't take that GTFO

Feb 12, 2018, 4:42 PM

Don't give up. Go with the bridge.

He'll spend 4 years trying to get out of Clemson, and the rest of his life trying to get back there. :)

As Dorothy told Auntie Em and Toto, "There's no place like Clemson!!!"

Feb 12, 2018, 4:45 PM
Ring.png(193.1 K)

:)

I wonder if that person did the Bridge or initially went to

Feb 12, 2018, 4:48 PM

Clemson?

Feb 12, 2018, 4:42 PM

Take it from someone who was wait listed years ago - I was staring at the prospect of having to transfer in. It seemed like the end of the world and I thought "How could I waste a whole year waiting when I could just go somewhere else?" By the grace of God I got int and never looked back. Sixteen years later I look back and laugh at how having to wait a whole year seemed like the end of the world. it goes by in a flash.

If he truly wants to go to Clemson then encourage him to bridge. After he graduates he will have a lifetime of being a proud Clemson graduate. That is certainly worth the sacrifice of waiting a year.

Sorry to hear that

Feb 12, 2018, 4:45 PM

The same thing happened to my nephew. He went to the Army prep school and then graduated from West Point. When one door closes another one opens....

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Feb 12, 2018, 4:51 PM

While you may not want to hear it, life does not promise you anything and you are defined by how well you handle adversity/set backs or disappointments. The take my ball and go home mentality cannot last more than a couple hours, you need to make sound rational decisions starting now. My son was offered the Bridge Program with a very similar academic background, he took it and never looked back. Graduated in 4 years, scored well enough for the Life Scholarship the whole time, with ### Laude Honors and I was a very proud dad sitting in the Clemson graduation ceremony. He then was offered an Academic Scholarship to UGA School of Law where he finished in 3 years. My advice is stop the poor pitiful me and get informed on the Bridge Program and do it quickly if CU is where he wants to graduate from in the future. The Acceptance rate is currently less than 10% of all applications and they are not saying they do not want him, they are saying that they are full but would like to have him under the Bridge as they know a certain percentage will not make it past the 1st year.

Maybe he should take a note

Feb 12, 2018, 4:53 PM

from thebravetiger's hawt daughter. Whatever she did, she got in.

Re: Maybe he should take a note

Feb 12, 2018, 4:55 PM

Are you suggesting his son go through the ##### change like that Jenner ladydude did?

Groce

Feb 12, 2018, 4:58 PM

I'm just suggesting that there's a reason thebravetiger®'s hawt daughter got in and he should figure out what it is and get us pigs of her.

Re: Groce

Feb 12, 2018, 10:47 PM

Just wanted to point out that my daughter was accepted to the bridge program. To me accepted is accepted. She is a legacy with about 14 people on her mom’s side of the family having degrees. As stated, getting your foot in the door is half the battle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 5:00 PM

We got the same news today and our daughter is devastated. She worked hard her whole academic life, made three B's in 12 years, all the rest were A's, taking AP and honors classes. Plus a 12 something SAT.

We have already discussed the bridge and I don't think we're going that route. My wife and I both graduated from Clemson in 1994 and have been loyal for the last 24 years and we return to Clemson as a family every chance we get. I didn't even apply to CU after high school and got in as a transfer so my daughter may go that route or she may decide to go somewhere else. She's not going to decide this week because I'm not going to let her make a emotional decision.

Personally I believe loyalty is a two way street so my money will go where my daughter goes. I've been holding my IPTAY pledge to see what happened and it will be significantly less now. It's painful and she is angry because she had two friends with similar GPA's who were accepted in the early period in the fall and they have absolutely no intention of setting foot on the CU campus ever again, two wasted spots.

It is what it is and we will determine what she wants and that's what we will do.

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Feb 12, 2018, 5:09 PM

You post makes no sense on the Bridge Program at all. If she accepts the Bridge Program and meets all the requirements she is gauranteed a slot, so do tell me how that is so different than going elsewhere and attempting to tranfer to Clemson? Especially as she does have a Clemson student ID card and can use all the facillities? I can tell you my son considered himself a Clemson student the ENTIRE time his 1st year was spent in the Bridge program, it was where he wanted to graduate from and made a very good choice. We did talk it through for about 3 hours but in the end, he knew he was wanted at CU and that it boiled down to the fact they only have a certain number of spaces open.

Congrats on your daughter being accepted into the Clemson

Feb 12, 2018, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: My son did not get in...bridged ]

Bridge program!

My wife did this program and now has her Clemson degree.

But on a more serious note, what is your giving level to IPTAY? Looking to see if I should bump mine up, can you tell the office to just transfer your seats over?

What is wrong with some of you people? About the only

Feb 12, 2018, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: My son did not get in...bridged ]

difference you will notice, being in the bridge program is, you will save about 75% of your first year tuition costs.

You and your daughter need to get off the ego trip and get on the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't stress too much how sad it would be to turn this down in a fit of pique; I know two students personally who bridged and are now in medical school and say that the time at Clemson was great, including the bridge year. Please don't pout and let your son miss this chance!

There is an Appeal process - did it for my son - he is

graduating this fall.

Not suggesting to Not do the bridge as alot of my friends kids did and they are all very happy with that program.

But your situation is exactly what we went through - with 8 legacies - gobs of IPTAY funding, ect.

Find out about the appeal process - have some of your well connected friends write referral letters to accompany but no more than about 3 (don't have 30) - still a risk of not getting past the bridge, but it can work - it did for my son.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking from experience...My daughter

Feb 12, 2018, 5:08 PM

got wait listed (prior to the Bridge program). She was hurt the same as your son. She had done everything... grades, AP, activities, class rank, and couldn't understand why she didn't get accepted. She thought about going somewhere else, but her heart was in Clemson. She did one semester at a local Tech school and started at Clemson in Jan. Best decisions she ever made. That one semester flew by and she didn't miss out on anything. It even allowed her to mature a little more before leaving home. Oh yeah, that first semester was MUCH cheaper on Pop too.

And guess what? Her ring and degree say Clemson just the same as those who were accepted straight out of HS. And she graduated with Honors.

To all those complaining on Out of State.....

Feb 12, 2018, 6:39 PM

I would like to point out that they do in fact subsidise the cost of in State tuition. This is why they have a set ratio for applications in fact, what the State gives them does not come close to running the University. They could reduce OOS acceptances but then tuition would rise, double edged sword so to speak. If it really bothers you call the Satehouse and demand tax increases to fund the University system in SC, that is what it will take.

Re: To all those complaining on Out of State.....

Feb 12, 2018, 7:46 PM

It's frustrating that nobody realizes this. I guess they don't want to feel the effects of the poor voting decisions they have made. And the millennials get blamed for wanting everything at no cost, wonder where they got that from...

The state could fund more and institutions

Feb 12, 2018, 10:32 PM [ in reply to To all those complaining on Out of State..... ]

Appeal It! Also

Feb 12, 2018, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Speaking from experience...My daughter ]

statistically, a better percentage of Bridge students graduate Clemson than students admitted to Clemson initially as freshmen and I think graduate with better GPAs.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 12, 2018, 5:10 PM

We had a great experience with the bridge

Appeal!!

Feb 12, 2018, 5:17 PM

I've heard of it working

Bridge!! Like I told my daughter, 40,000 applications to

Feb 12, 2018, 5:21 PM

Clemson, 4000 accepted with 800 bridge so she made the 4800 out of 40,000 cut! Lots of advantages to bridge, just go to class at a different place. She's now happy in her second year. No shame in that. Probably the SAT score is what did it. My daughter had great high school grades with 4 AP courses too these days you have to have a huge SAT score.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:25 PM

Former Bridge kid.

Let me tell you, Bridge sucks. Its HARD. The difficulty is more the psycological fact that you are so close, but not there yet. But, it is worth it.

But, if your child's DREAM is to go to Clemson, like mine,

THEN SEND HIM TO BRIDGE.

Based on his academic records, he seems like he will do fine.

Please PM me, I would be happy to give you my own "Bridge Student Survival Guide".

This is your kids ONLY shot to get into Clemson. Take it. All you need is 30 credit hours and a 2.5 GPA to get through. DO IT. Your kid will be better because of it.

Let me add one thing - accept the Bridge spot ASAP THEN

Feb 12, 2018, 5:26 PM

Appeal, write letters, request summer entrance program, etc. Those limited Bridge spots will fill in a hurry and once they are gone, that option is off the table.

Your son sounds like a fine young man. Of course Clemson wants him. The question is, how badly does your son want to be a Clemson man?

The Bridge is a great program and a way for more great kids to get a Clemson degree. Good luck!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me add one thing - accept the Bridge spot ASAP THEN

Feb 12, 2018, 9:40 PM

I would agree, it sounds like some kids need to learn the humble themselves to achieve their goals. That's a great life lesson to learn and its never too early to learn life lessons.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:42 PM

Go for the bridge program. Worked very well for my daughter and her diploma looks exactly like her sisters, mothers and fathers - just different names and majors. It is a good program and allows for seamless entry into Clemson. It works and works well!

Go Tigers and good luck!!!

Feb 12, 2018, 5:47 PM

To make yourself feel better, go walk around the campus for about 20 minutes and see how long it takes before you question whether your in Clemson or India.

Clemson is a state sponsored school that should serve South Carolina residents first. Someone living an ocean away without(taxes paid, state allegiance, family ties) to Clemson should get what's left over.

I spent several years as a Clemson student and never

Feb 12, 2018, 5:58 PM

questioned where I was (unless I was drunk).

This is a dumb statement as you obviously do not know the facts of the student population numbers. Right around 10% of applicants get in, even if they accepted all in-state students all the applicants would not get in.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: My son did not get in...bridged ]

Almost all of those Indian students you see on campus are graduate students, so they don't take any spots away from in-state High School students.

The bridge program is a great way to get your degree

Feb 12, 2018, 5:48 PM

My nephew went that route, his brother didn't and ended up wishing he did.

leaving tigernet,crump is not the admissions officer***

Feb 12, 2018, 5:48 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 5:52 PM

Get him into WCU if all else fails its cheaper and one hour from Clemson plus its not a party school so he will have more time to study ;)

Feb 12, 2018, 10:11 PM

How many times you posting WCU ? I’d say that would be a huge step down unless you’re a music major

Feb 12, 2018, 6:12 PM

I've known several parents (and their kids) in this situation. Its frustrating but temporary. Realize some kids take a year off before going to college. In your sons case at least he can be bettering himself to excel once he gets to the promised land.
My beef with the whole thing is the number of out of state kids that get in. If you look at enrollment for 2017 almost 40% are OOS. THATS SHAMEFUL. There are plenty of well qualified kids in SC. This is simply about money and the ever expanding budgets of academic institutions. This cant keep up. At some point the system will fail

I've known several parents (and their kids) in this situation. Its frustrating but temporary. Realize some kids take a year off before going to college. In your sons case at least he can be bettering himself to excel once he gets to the promised land.
My beef with the whole thing is the number of out of state kids that get in. If you look at enrollment for 2017 almost 40% are OOS. THATS SHAMEFUL. There are plenty of well qualified kids in SC. This is simply about money and the ever expanding budgets of academic institutions. This cant keep up. At some point the system will fail

Apply for ag or animal science and he’s in then change major later

Feb 12, 2018, 6:54 PM

My daughter bridged. She's a senior now. It's a good option. Take it and run.

Feb 12, 2018, 7:33 PM

Bridging IS getting in. If he has an issue with that perhaps he would be happier elsewhere.

Just a suggestion, your student could try the

Feb 12, 2018, 8:01 PM

Elizabeth Warren approach and claim to be part Cherokee Indian..got her into Harvard

Stop whining and...

Feb 12, 2018, 8:04 PM

stick him in Greenville Tech or Harvard on the hill for a semester. He can get classes there which will transfer to Clemson. A true Clemson man wouldn't give up so easily.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he doesn't take his Bridge position someone else will...

Feb 12, 2018, 8:30 PM

CU Bridge is full of kids like yours that could easily go to another school. There are a limited number of Bridge invitations...many kids got nothing. Accept Bridge and appeal.

We've sent 3 up there; 1 went straight in and graduated in '14 and the other 2 Bridged and are up there now. One is a senior and just made the CU President's list.

Both of us are CU grads.

Just a suggestion...

Feb 12, 2018, 8:49 PM

Maybe this is an opportunity to help him with a lesson in perseverance and doing what it takes to get what he really wants...as opposed to “taking his ball and going home.”

I have a family member who got accepted into the Bridge program today, and we are ecstatic. It is her way into Clemson. She will have the time of her life and will walk across the stage as a Clemson graduate.

Re: Just a suggestion...

Feb 12, 2018, 9:08 PM

Daughter did bridge recently and did well. Clemson was smart starting Bridge. They are the replacements for the students that fluke out after a year.

Actually, You Son Did Get Accepted

Feb 12, 2018, 8:51 PM

You think Bridge Program is mentioned anywhere on a Clemson diploma?

Feb 12, 2018, 9:15 PM

Sometimes the fact that he is in a good school can hurt as well. He can have those great grades and still in be in the top percentile.

Fwiw it pays to be a big fish in a small pond these days when applying to college.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:17 PM

*not be in the top percentile

Feb 12, 2018, 9:18 PM

So what kind of animal is this if he is bridging?

Feb 12, 2018, 9:19 PM

I understand your frustration and disappointment. The same thing happened to my son in 2013 (out of state) even with an older brother who was a rising senior at the time at Clemson. My son reluctantly went Bridge but during his 3 years at Clemson he made the Dean's List 3 semesters, graduated in May 2017 (attended the natty champs) and was offered a job in February well before graduation as a sales rep for Xerox. Remember...it's not the door you walk into but the door you walk out of that counts!!!!!

Feb 12, 2018, 9:24 PM

4.0, 1250 on just Math and Verbal?? Very surprised he wasn't accepted.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:44 PM

We don't know if that was on a 4.0 scale or 5.0 scale. Lots more info needed to really assess things.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:28 PM

I understand your frustration and disappointment. The same thing happened to my son in 2013 (out of state) even with an older brother who was a rising senior at the time at Clemson. My son reluctantly went Bridge but during his 3 years at Clemson he made the Dean's List 3 semesters, graduated in May 2017 (attended the natty champs) and was offered a job in February well before graduation as a sales rep for Xerox. Remember...it's not the door you walk into but the door you walk out of that counts!!!!!

Feb 12, 2018, 9:55 PM

I can relate to your son. I grew up a diehard Clemson fan and always “knew” I was going to be a Tiger. Then I got Bridged. I had good enough scores to qualify for the LIFE scholarship while others who did not qualify in my class were accepted. Without that Bridge letter I was 100% going to Clemson. I too chose to go somewhere else, where I was wanted from the start.

I will say though that my love for Clemson never faded. It was tough to see it for a bit. Definitely hard to see it the day I got my letter. But it turned out that going where I went was for the best. I was able to turn my rejection, which was of my own creation, into fuel that still propells me today. I was able to get a good college and post graduate education. I also wouldn’t have been lucky enough to be with my wife had I ended up elsewhere.

What I’m trying to say is, yes it hurts. Not going to Clemson doesn’t mean that you have to lose your love for the school though. I still go to a couple of games a year and probably care about the school more than many graduates. The Bridge can be a great tool to get the full experience I never got. The “rejection” can also motivate him to bigger and better things he may not have otherwise achieved.

Best of luck to your boy and go Tigers!

That's just totally stupid! To not accept the bridge if

Feb 12, 2018, 10:47 PM

Clemson is where you really wanted to go, does not make any sense. You were just on a big ego trip!

Whatever. He will be stronger one day due to it.

Feb 13, 2018, 4:37 AM

He will still get his degree. He has a great opportunity. Make him excited about it. Don't act all gloom and doom.

Replies: 96
| visibility 1,151
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic