Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What we will find out at season's end about Cole...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

What we will find out at season's end about Cole...

Oct 28, 2014, 5:15 PM

My guess is that the injury to Cole is far more significant than anyone is saying. While he is not DW, he used to be able to throw the ball down field respectably. By that, I mean, simply 7-15 yards down field which we currently seem to avoid for them most part. The screens are not only to help our run but also b/c he can make the throw. His injury is limiting him. And of course that impacts a lot of other stuff (mental, etc.)

We saw it with Charlie Whitehurst. Remember, our lack of down field attack for several games one season only to find out his shoulder was a serious issue after the season? Remember Cullen Harper? Same thing happened. He was limited and off b/c of an injury no one would acknowledge. Same thing with Kyle Parker following first game at Auburn. Mark it down. It will come out when the season ends

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coles injury is to his non-throwing shoulder.***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Still impacts overall motion and arm strength

Oct 28, 2014, 5:18 PM

Body naturally self protects no matter how hard you try to work through it. Throwing motion involves upper and lower body. My brother is a doctor so I am an authority on this ;)

Cole's problems are timing and decision making***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw a lot of that in an injured Kyle Parker. Roll right,

Oct 28, 2014, 7:10 PM

and chunk it up the sideline on too many plays to recall. There was a lot more of that all season after his injury in the Auburn game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed he has the arm to make the throws but his timing and

Oct 28, 2014, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Cole's problems are timing and decision making*** ]

accuracy are way off sometimes.

Re: Still impacts overall motion and arm strength

Oct 28, 2014, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Still impacts overall motion and arm strength ]

Really?,you mean your brother is the authority,but
i will still buy your theory.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I put a winky guy on that man!

Oct 28, 2014, 7:45 PM

Sarcasm it was

Kyle Parker's injury was to his non-throwing ribs.***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Coles injury is to his non-throwing shoulder.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Is that you, Kyle?***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:24 PM

Have you ever had a significant rib injury....

Oct 28, 2014, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Kyle Parker's injury was to his non-throwing ribs.*** ]

I can tell you from direct first hand experience, it hurts just to breathe let alone trying throw a football with any kind of accuracy or velocity.

yes, that is the point.***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Have you ever had a significant rib injury....

Oct 28, 2014, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Have you ever had a significant rib injury.... ]

I agree.

I was hit by an 18 wheeler two years ago. Ribs, bones and muscles in my elbow I didn't even know I had.

Those injuries effect everything.

I couldn't even swing a golf club for awhile.

Some people seem to think you only use your hand when throwing a ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The forces exerted by the legs and hips are transferred...

Oct 28, 2014, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Kyle Parker's injury was to his non-throwing ribs.*** ]

through the body's trunk. All ribs are throwing ribs. If not then accuracy of horizontal and vertical are affected while velocity on the throw is diminished.

In order for a thrower to be accurate with bad ribs or an off shoulder he'd have to unlearn muscle memory and relearn using the same muscles differently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lutz at 'non throwing ribs.'

Oct 28, 2014, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Kyle Parker's injury was to his non-throwing ribs.*** ]

A swimmer should know better than that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, he doesn't use his left shoulder when throwing.***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Coles injury is to his non-throwing shoulder.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

That sounds heroic and all...

Oct 28, 2014, 5:26 PM

But what if it really is what the majority of us think - he's just a sub-par QB and not the right fit for the Tajh/Deshaun-type offense that CM runs?

just a question......

Oct 28, 2014, 5:35 PM

the best ball I've ever seen cole make was the 3rd & 11 throw at BC this year.

point being when did he ever show YOU that he could throw the ball downfield?

i will however say he does throw the 15-20 yard post down the middle pretty good.........and swing passes.

I just think that SC state game LAST YEAR gave a lot of fans a misleading sense of confidence in cole.

he threw it pretty well 1st half at UGA***

Oct 28, 2014, 5:39 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Scripted Drive #1

Oct 28, 2014, 5:41 PM

Past that...

I got nothin.

Re: Scripted Drive #1

Oct 28, 2014, 5:46 PM

Well I remember when Cole caught a CB blitzing and threw to a wide open Mike Williams who evaded a safety coming over to make a big play. Every other play that gained yards was a run play. So I'd say Cole pretty much played great and threw the ball all over the place.

Body of work

Oct 28, 2014, 5:50 PM

is horrible though...

I'd love to hang 'Cole checks to Mike W' on his resume', but I don't think I can. I think he ran across Mike at last minute in that instance.

Re: Body of work

Oct 28, 2014, 5:52 PM

I was kinda being sarcastic. People seem to white wash the UGA game for Cole because of Mike William's drop.

I'm not defending Cole at all... I just think he played

Oct 28, 2014, 5:54 PM

well in the first half at UGA

that's all

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I'm not defending Cole at all... I just think he played

Oct 28, 2014, 5:59 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Brent Venables said his pick for Player of the Game against Syracuse was Cole Stoudt. That says a lot to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting...which again points me to the possibility of

Oct 28, 2014, 7:40 PM

Him playing through re-aggravated injury

Did he lose his mind at halftime?

Oct 28, 2014, 6:01 PM [ in reply to I'm not defending Cole at all... I just think he played ]

Because he most certainly didn't play well in the second. lol.

don't know... but he's lost it 3 times at the end of the 1st

Oct 28, 2014, 6:02 PM

this year

Plus One Kabillion.***

Oct 28, 2014, 6:05 PM

Re: I'm not defending Cole at all... I just think he played

Oct 28, 2014, 6:03 PM [ in reply to I'm not defending Cole at all... I just think he played ]

He had a few nice passes that could have been completions but someone dropping a pass isn't an excuse to play poorly the rest of the game. The UGA secondary just isn't that good. The statistics bear out that Cole has not been a very good QB in the redzone. So if the running game doesn't punch in both of the scoring drives he lead (no passes completed in the redzone) then how does our opinion of his play change. After UGA started selling out on the run knowing Cole likely wouldn't burn them with his legs or arms out offense when to poop. We knew coming into the season the running game wouldn't be self-sustaining. It was incumbent upon the QB position/Cole to deliver the offensive spark to win that game. Three passes completed beyond the LOS (one of which the announcers remarked wasn't accurately thrown to Gallman in the fourth quarter) isn't a good game maybe even a good quarter.

My bad....

Oct 28, 2014, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Body of work ]

on the above and another...

I *thought* you may have been sarcastic. we need that font here too (STS).

Re: just a question......

Oct 28, 2014, 5:48 PM [ in reply to just a question...... ]

Last few spring games...watching a practice...some throws vs. Uga and in mop up duties last few years
Since injury vs. unc, I think it was, he has been different

I have never said he is more than average....I just think an injury has made him below average and that impacts the other stuff like confidence and decision making. This time last year, I think we could have thrown downfield with cole vs. Syracuse, but not this year at home and that IMO is injury. Not saying he could light up FSU if not injured because he had a chance and did not. But vs. wake and cuse, I think he could to some extent if not hurt

Re: just a question......

Oct 28, 2014, 5:49 PM

Why would Morris ask Cole to do things that he physically could not when injured. Like another poster said some of his best throws this season came in the BC game.

We have what we have....

Oct 28, 2014, 5:54 PM

Why are you defending Cole? Just asking - not getting 'in your face'.

I know your posts from STS - you're certainly not a 'pumper' or 'dumper'. More a realist - which is what I'd consider myself.

Nothing but love for Cold Start right now...he's doing what he needs to do, and probably injured to boot...

But - counting down days until DW gets back. Sad but true.

I may be wrong on this. I think it is possible though.

Oct 28, 2014, 7:36 PM

Early vs. cuse, I think he took a shot that made things worse. At that point, it's either next man or do whatever he can do.
I know he has no where near arm strength of dw. My earlier post just noted that when healthy, he can zip it from 7-20 yards no problem. We need dw to beat gt and scarowhiner. Just can't shake how Clemson has handled injuries in the past with qbs

With you there....***

Oct 28, 2014, 7:48 PM

I saw it get reaggravated early vs cuse

Oct 28, 2014, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: just a question...... ]

UGA in the 2nd half realized he can't beat them deep

Oct 28, 2014, 6:48 PM

and is why they stoned him in the 2nd half. He doesn't have the arm to throw deep. His deep passes are under 30 yards.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noted that earlier

Oct 28, 2014, 7:37 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic