Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier was awful his first 5 years at SC and 1-3 vs Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 879

Spurrier was awful his first 5 years at SC and 1-3 vs Clemson

Nov 28, 2012, 4:24 PM

so why is it ok for him to go through that, but Dabo has to win in his first 5 years and isn't allowed time to get his guys in? Also don't say well Spurrier had a tougher job, cause Holtz had them basically at the same point as Bowden had Clemson. Also who has had a better first 5 years, SOS or Dabo? Look at the last 2 recruiting classes on defense. I'd say the defensive talent is getting much better. Adams is leaning toward us, Alexander, Lawson is high on us now. Pagano, Kearse, Odaniel, Shaq Lawson and Tankersley are coming in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1-3 is better than 0-4***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is 1-4***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:31 PM

Re: Dabo is 1-4***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:36 PM

If you count his win with Bowden's players, 3 games after he was fired.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hello!! Fifty years experience is better than five!!***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:32 PM [ in reply to 1-3 is better than 0-4*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So why isn't Dabo given time from the fans

Nov 28, 2012, 4:37 PM

especially when he has won 10 games two years in a row. I say fans, but mean those few delusional who can't see the truth.

Re: Spurrier was awful his first 5 years at SC and 1-3 vs Clemson

Nov 28, 2012, 4:30 PM

Spurrier was a proven winner. Dabo hasn't done jack. We are not lacking in talent. It was Dabo's bright idea to bring in only 12 recruits in a class.

Yet has won 10 wins 2 years in a row

Nov 28, 2012, 4:32 PM

3 division titles, yeah that's bad huh? I guess he should just brought in guys he didn't like huh?

All Redskins say "is this some joke"?***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier was awful his first 5 years at SC and 1-3 vs Clemson ]

Re: Spurrier was awful his first 5 years at SC and 1-3 vs Clemson

Nov 28, 2012, 4:31 PM

Lmfao if you think Spurrier and Dabo inherited the same type of team. And plus, it isn't hard to win in the freakin ACC. The same can't be said for the SEC.

What was the big difference? Didn't Holtz get SC to

Nov 28, 2012, 4:34 PM

Out Back bowl 2 in a row?

Dabo inherited a team whose performance got the

Nov 28, 2012, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier was awful his first 5 years at SC and 1-3 vs Clemson ]

previous coach fired.

Stevie (A Legend) hit the ground running recruiting off his name and vast years of experience.

Dabo is building his , all the while performing better in his first 4 years than the Legend did. As usual , facts get in the way.

remember Dabo was part of the staff of the previous coach.***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:38 PM

Re: Dabo inherited a team whose performance got the

Nov 28, 2012, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Dabo inherited a team whose performance got the ]

PULEEEEEEZE. Quit this stooooooopid comparison. It makes one look like a FB ignoramus. SOS took over a program in dissaray. Dabo took over a program that was a 7-8-9 win program stocked with good talent. Quit bringing SOS into any comparison with Dabo. They are in different conferences,having taken over different teams at different levels. Who gives a rat's rear about the two comparisons. It is obvious that SOS has done a better job at SC with what he inherited, so let it be. No one is going to fire Dabo. We look like idiots when we try and compare the two. Especially since SC has won the last 4 straight. Too many fans are too hung up on the SC/Clemson game. It's one game out of a 12 game schedule. We sound like a bunch of HS kids with this BS. The rivalry games just don't have the significance they once did. Maybe to immature teeny boppers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's 1st years

Nov 28, 2012, 4:32 PM

Whoa, partner. That is way too many positive vibes. Don't you know that this is the home of the doomsday boys? Great post. More folks on here need to look at things that way. I do not like losing to USuC, but if we want to be better, we need to do things that are positive for the program. Not run around firing people.

Exactly, I can see the future and the players being brought

Nov 28, 2012, 4:35 PM

that is how Spurrier changed things, better talent on defense.

I think most people would disagree with your assessment of

Nov 28, 2012, 4:37 PM

the two programs at the time. SCAR was literally at rock bottom when Holtz took over. He took them from worst FBS team to at least remotely competitive / Vanderbilt type of level. Bowden's Clemson teams were better than that. We were winning 8-9 games in a much tougher ACC and one or two plays away from a division title. Dabo was supposed to provide an "oil change" (his words, not mine). Not rebuild the entire engine. Big difference there. Spurrier had more rebuilding to do.

I think fans should just recognize what they get with Dabo. He is not an X&O's guy. He's a great recruiter and he has other coaching intangibles, but he's limited and/or learning on the job, with regards to X&Os. There is still a bit of a hole in the recruiting from the 2008 class, some obvious misses, injuries, etc that he's having to deal with. We lost to the coots because we have a horrible defense and coaching and player execution was not up-to-par on the offensive side. We obviously have some glaring holes. It will be up to Dabo and Co to recruit at an elite level, build quality depth at all positions, and staff extremely competent, quality coordinators. He should be able to produce a great season within the next 3-4 years or so or be shown the door.

Where was Clemson when Bowden took over

Nov 28, 2012, 4:46 PM

3-8 isn't rock bottom? Holtz and Bowden laid a good foundation, yet Spurrier didn't start winning till year 5 or 6. Yet Dabo isn't given the same time.

Re: I think most people would disagree with your assessment of

Nov 28, 2012, 4:53 PM [ in reply to I think most people would disagree with your assessment of ]

You guys need to get a grip. Dabo doesn't know "X's & O's?" For heaven's sake, he played college ball at Alabama. He was a college coach for 5 years before getting the HC job. If you think knowing "X's & O's" is what wins ball games you are nuts. There are 500 coaches in America that know "X's & O's" inside out. Yet there are a handful of guys that consistently produce winners. Those are the guys with great, not average, great people skills. The motivators; the guys who encourage others to be better than they think they can be. There's a good chance Dabo is one of those guys. But I'll guarantee you that if you fire him and go hire the best "X's & O's" guy in the country this program will take a huge step back. Give me people skills, and exemplary recruiting, every day of the week and I'll beat your "X's & O's" guys like a drum. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 879
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic