Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What to really take away from last year's game....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,001

What to really take away from last year's game....

Sep 14, 2017, 3:37 PM

I keep hearing how Louisville almost won last year. Blah Blah Blah. Seldom are the turnovers brought up, or any “deeper” look at the game. Well, here you go if you need to be reminded…..

In the first half, Louisville had 2 drives over 25 yards. This is out of 9 first half possessions. One drive went 11 plays for 82 yards. The other was 13 plays for 76 yards. The other 9 possessions were 25 yards or less, with 4 being negative yardage. That not 4 negative plays, 4 negative drives!

Also of note in the first half was the freaky exchange of turnovers. Look at this list of sequential possessions:

Lou – TD
Clem – INT
Lou – Fumble
Clem – TD
Lou – INT
Clem – Fumble
Lou - Fumble
Clem – TD

Halftime score: Clemson 28-10

Second Half...
Clemson gets ball first and throws INT on 2nd play and Lou scores a TD after getting the ball at the 36. Including this possession for Louisville, they score on 5 consecutive possessions to reach 36 points. So let’s look at what set up these drives.

Clem – INT (On 2nd play)
Lou – TD
Clem – 3&Out
Lou – FG
Clem – Fumble (Nice Drive – Leggett fumbles on 5; Momentum Shift; Drive only takes 1:54 of clock)
Lou – TD
Clem – Fumble (On 4th Play)
Lou – FG
Clem – INT (On 2nd Play)
Lou – TD

That’s it….that’s where Louisville scored their points. You just cannot keep putting your defense out there in those positions.

Can Clemson “slow down” all-world Lamar? Of course! They did it last year, and probably have better players this year to do it. However, the offense has to do their part as well. If Clemson takes care of the ball, this game will not be close. If we limit the mistakes, play a solid B game on offense, and limit the turnovers to 1 or less, Tigers win by 14-17 points, quite possibly more! If KB shows out, this will get ugly!

GO TIGERS!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What to really take away from last year's game....

Sep 14, 2017, 3:49 PM

Great recap of last year's game. Thanks! I agree. If Clemson plays a cleaner game, fuggetaboutit! Tigers will win comfortably. Better all around team usually beats the one great player on the other side. Just ask Leonard Fournette, Pat Sullivan, Archie Manning and a gazillion other guys who tried to win games singlehandedly. They may have been great, even heroic, but the other team simply outnumbered them.

They also lost Hikutini

Sep 14, 2017, 4:13 PM

I don't know the exact stats, but it seems that guy killed us on so many pivotal plays. I think he was one of the hottest undrafted players to be picked up, if that says anything, but at least shows he was a great TE in college last year and will be hard to replace (just like we see with Leggett).

For a scrambling quarterback, sometimes those sneaky receivers that find a way to get open late in the play are just as, if not more, important than the main receivers.

I think our defensive line's ability to funnel LJ to the sideline or get a hold of him and not let go on the initial contact will be the difference. They definitely won't be able to chase him down like they did Stidham last week and keep him from turning the corner upfield, where he is most dangerous.

Re: They also lost Hikutini

Sep 14, 2017, 4:36 PM

I brought this up too! That TE was wide open ALL game because we didn't have a fast enough LB (Ben) to cover him. I also have been stating we had 5 turnovers and still won the game which is insane. Eliminate those two things and I don't think this is close unless LJ breaks containment literally all night.

Re: They also lost Hikutini

Sep 14, 2017, 5:28 PM

The problem with Jackson is that on most of his scrambles he gets big yards up the middle, not the outside.

If Dorian is the spy, then we'll be fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You beat me to it

Sep 14, 2017, 4:51 PM

That's exactly what I was looking at yesterday.

Good re-cap.

To take it one step further, we didn't do ourselves any favors the two years prior.

2014 - DW was out and Cole couldn't take advantage.

2015 - I think we threw an interception on the second play of the second half to set UL up close to midfield. They went on to score a TD on their drive. Then we go up by 10 with about 4 minutes to go and give up a KO Return TD to set up the final drama. We out-gained them 401 to 272 on the day.

Bottom line - Can we lose? Certainly. Lamar is a great player. But if we don't assist with turnovers, multiple busted assignments and #### poor offensive play, we will win.

I believe that UL has to outplay us by two letter grades (ie. Their "A" game vs. our "C" game) for us to lose.

Go Tigers.

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,001
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic