Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simple question for the sky is falling group.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Simple question for the sky is falling group.

Jun 28, 2018, 1:06 PM

Do y'all think Dabo and Co go on rivals or 24/7 to see who they need to recruit? You think Dabo and BV sit in their office saying oooo this guy is a five star on rivals I might need to talk to him? No, they get out there and evaluate these guys by what they see with their own eyes. See these guys play in camps. Evaluate who is worth offering and who isn't. They talk to them and see what's between the ears

Dabo said last year when talking about Ryan Carter that he didn't care about stars. Did y'all think he was just blowingsmoke? Dabo ain't that kind of dude. He is straight up with everything he does. He tells it how it is whether you like it or not. That's why he is so successful. These kids see his honesty and loyalty and they want to play for him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is this "Sky is Falling Group?"

Jun 28, 2018, 1:07 PM

is it you?

Re: Who is this "Sky is Falling Group?"

Jun 28, 2018, 1:10 PM

The ones crying about signing 3 stars. Don't act like you haven't seen it.

DON'T TELL MY BOO WHAT TO DO, BRO.***

Jun 28, 2018, 2:46 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sky is falling?

Jun 28, 2018, 1:14 PM

I just read on the board about the undefeated season we are going to have! Good news...none of the games appear to be close!

Re: Sky is falling?

Jun 28, 2018, 2:41 PM

Andhave yet to have been played!!

it's called rain.***

Jun 28, 2018, 1:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cold rain, fat rain, sideways rain, upside down rain...***

Jun 28, 2018, 3:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You aren't wrong, but i enjoy playing devil's advocate so

Jun 28, 2018, 2:54 PM

here is my counter-argument. The sky isn't falling either way, but this is the danger i see in signing lots of 3-star guys. You are basically relying on out-smarting a bunch of really smart guys. You have to have the mentality of "I am right about this kid where everyone else is wrong." Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Urban Meyer, and all of the others plus their hundreds of support staff are all missing what i see in this kid.

To me that just doesn't seem sustainable. It's absolutely going to happen from time to time, but it's really difficult to build an elite program when you are signing more 3-star players than 4 and 5 star players, and that's not how Dabo has built this program.

Now, before i get too much heat, i don't think we are anywhere near the point of being in trouble. We still have loads of elite talent on the roster. But i do think that repeatedly signing recruiting classes that look like this one currently does (there's still plenty of time until signing day though) could lead to trouble. It would probably take several years of this level of recruiting for the cracks to start to show.

What is the highest Rivals or Composite ranking of a

Jun 28, 2018, 6:15 PM

Clemson recruiting class? if my memory is correct, have only been top 10 twice, not top 5 even once since Dabo has been the HC. this class is currently ranked #3. a lot can and will change between now and signing days, but Clemson has only raided the top 25 players in the nation for 3 or more players once in recent memory, and that was the 2018 class.

some of these 3-stars are going to earn their 4th star or play up to the potential of a 4 or 5 star like DJ Reader, Jay Guerlimo, Grady Jarrett, Ryan Carter, Jadar Johnson, Travis Etienne, Wayne Gallman, Jordan Leggette, Kendall Joseph, TJ Green, Van Smith, Kvon Wallace. Contrast that with guys that came in as 4-stars; Demarre Kitt, Korie Rogers, Kyrin Priester, Jaelon Oglesby, Milan Richard, Jake Fruhmorgan, Mike Bellamy, Adam Choice, Ebo Ogundecko, Tyshon Dye, Germone Hopper, Chad Kelly, Zac Brooks, Ronald Geoghan who have had little to no impact on the program. Any recruit that wants to work and earn it will have a chance at Clemson; I named Milan Richard as a minimal impact guy for his rating, because 1 TD in 3 years for his rating is little impact. but he works, and as long as he keeps working and repping Clemson with the class that he does, he's a Tiger 4 Life in my book. And so is Tyshon Dye because his injuries held him back just as it did for Adam Choice. if Choice had not gotten hurt Wayne Train, would have just gotten his chance this past year...

Clemson recruiting is balanced and is not top heavy like bama, ohio state, georgia, or fsu... we have more hits with the majority of the classes because the coaches evaluate the best talent for this program. it's not about the stars on the player, it's about the player under the stars; there is a big difference in a Mike Bellamy star and a CJ Spiller star, or a Chad Kelley star and a DeShaun Watson star...

don't let the stars blind you...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the highest Rivals or Composite ranking of a

Jun 28, 2018, 8:01 PM

one of the reasons our recruiting classes are not ranked higher is that we don't oversign. not having a higher number of recruits means that we drop in the rankings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true, and personally, I don't care where the recruiting

Jun 28, 2018, 9:26 PM

class is ranked because I would rather have a class of 17 commits that hits on 14 of the recruits than to have a class of 25 that only hits on 15. that level inefficiency means that our coaches wasted a lot of time and resources to get players in that wash out or just hang out...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Top 10 - 4 out of the last 5 years, Top 5 once, per Rivals***

Jun 29, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to What is the highest Rivals or Composite ranking of a ]

The Dude abides

NO, bury your head in the sand & pretend every ...

Jul 1, 2018, 6:29 AM [ in reply to You aren't wrong, but i enjoy playing devil's advocate so ]

3* we sign will be a difference maker & early round NFL pick; as if this were realistic & common place. Ridicule anyone who doesn't strictly adhere to this narrative. Reconfigure and mold data to support this short-sighted narrative, but never acknowledge this practice.

It would surprise me if the staff didn't have someone looking at recruiting services.

Jun 28, 2018, 3:26 PM

Why not put a GA on it and then make some calls? Then the GA could recommend that the coaches give certain guys a look in person whether that be camp or visiting the players' schools during the year. Seems to me to be one more tool no different than getting tips from local high school coaches. In the end, they still do the work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Be foolish not to & wasted free resource

Jul 1, 2018, 6:11 AM

never as a cheat sheet for asst. or scout

Coaches looking at the recruiting sites?

Jul 1, 2018, 9:58 AM [ in reply to It would surprise me if the staff didn't have someone looking at recruiting services. ]

Seems more likely that the recruiting sites have someone checking to see who Clemson is looking at and who they are offering to help them calculate the "star" rating on a given player.

The recruiting sites are reactive ... not proactive.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simple question for the sky is falling group.

Jun 28, 2018, 4:26 PM

alls i know is we're #4 in '19 recruiting (as of today on rivals)... and, we're 82-15 since 2011... w/ 4 conference championships.. 3 trips to the playoffs.. one national title..

i think i'll sit back and let the pros be pros.

Jun 28, 2018, 4:44 PM

I like the way you think! :)

Jun 28, 2018, 8:04 PM

I hate long threads

Jun 29, 2018, 12:15 AM

Boy i hope Dabo doesn't see this thread he will get the confuse!!

Carter very productive & a steal but ....

Jul 1, 2018, 5:57 AM

I'm not sure he would have been offered were it not for our interest in (5*,#1overall)DE(name escapes me at the moment) who decommitted from us and (4*)RB W. Gallman.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic