Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the current Halo rule for catching a punt?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,201

What is the current Halo rule for catching a punt?

Dec 7, 2016, 2:36 PM

Artavis Scott was flagged for kick catch interference on a punt. He was about a foot away from the receiver when he caught the punt. How much distance is required?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know what it is but since the dude didn't

Dec 7, 2016, 2:39 PM

call a fair catch I have to believe the hit was legal. Ref screwed that one up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: What is the current Halo rule for catching a punt?

Dec 7, 2016, 2:40 PM

I thought that flag was because their punt returner had signaled a fair catch? However, watching him field punts subsequently, that guy BARELY raised his hand/arm to shoulder height and it was a really quick motion. Didn't seem like a 'legitimate fair catch signal' to me....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

There's not. Just have to allow time to secure catch.

Dec 7, 2016, 2:41 PM

It was a bad call but hard to make a judgement on in real time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like you shouldn't be able to flag it if they PR

Dec 7, 2016, 2:51 PM

actually makes the catch. Then by definition you allowed them to field the punt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.***

Dec 7, 2016, 3:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It used to be two yards....

Dec 7, 2016, 2:42 PM

but the NCAA Football Rules Committee eliminated the 2-yard ''halo'' rule on punt returns in 2003 I believe.

The new rule simply states that returners must be given an "unimpeded opportunity" to catch the punt, and when you dealing with incompetent ACC officiating, that's entirely too much latitude.

The hit on Scott was not a penalty IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

There is no set distance

Dec 7, 2016, 2:47 PM

In practice the call is never really made unless the defender hits the returner prior to him touching the ball, or it's bang-bang and the returner drops the ball.

I can't say I've seen it called much if the returner catches the ball, gets hit, and hangs on to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no set distance

Dec 7, 2016, 4:56 PM

SECTION 4. Opportunity To Catch a Kick Interference With Opportunity
ARTICLE 1 a A player of the receiving team within the boundary lines attempting to catch a kick, and so located that he could have caught a free kick or a scrimmage kick that is beyond the neutral zone, must be given an unimpeded opportunity to catch the kick (AR 6-3-1-III, AR 6-4-1-V, VI and IX)
b It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and extending one yard in front of him When in question it is a foul(AR 6-4-1-X-XIII)

This is straight from the rule book. Scott was comin from dead in front of him. According to the rules he was required to give him 1 yard before he caught the ball. He was 1 foot away when the guy caught the ball. It was actually a good call by the official according to the rules.

It's a very complicated rule and depends primarily

Dec 7, 2016, 4:46 PM

(on which team the ref likes).

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic