Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This seems to be the norm for many "news" stories today...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 647

This seems to be the norm for many "news" stories today...

Jan 16, 2019, 5:32 PM

That last tweet is really the crux of the problem. I see it all the time on entertainment "news" sites and often from the perspective of the left, but both sides are guilty of doing it. Unfortunately, it seems to clearly work in pushing a narrative but I hate seeing it spread to legitimate places like the BBC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gillette commercial was stupid. Period.

Jan 20, 2024, 9:06 PM

Not boycotting them because I already have for about 8-10 years. They're too expensive. Beyond the facepalm commercial, I don't care. But as posted earlier, most companies that have crappy endorsements, or commercials, or take political stances on anything really, I've already boycotted the product.

Best thing Microsoft and Bill Gates ever did was break off from MSNBC. Microsoft started that joint venture when they were a "news" organization. They waited too long, but finally parted ways totally when they became political activists. You can take notes from Bill Gates there if you want. Don't pander to them. Stay on topic with your product. Ignore the noise. That's what I do personally and most companies should do, unless you're a lobbyist, or think tank or whatever.

If a company is going to pander to a political ideology, or a social movement, or whatever, odds are their product is already suffering because they have their eyes elsewhere instead of on where it should be. And Gillette has already been suffering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really disagree with your overall point, but...

Jan 16, 2019, 6:11 PM

the point of the commercial is basically to just be a decent person (in this case, a male person, but the message can apply to both sexes really). That's far from being "stupid."

The ones being triggered, I think, are only doing so because the words "toxic masculinity" was said in the commercial.

I can see being a better person

Jan 16, 2019, 6:31 PM

Last half of the video was fine. But the first half of the video places the term masculinity in a wholly negative context. What about holding the door for a lady when she gets into a car or goes into a restaurant. Is that toxic? Some feminists say it's condescending and toxic. I think it's being nice. Women today are miserable.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pressure-proof/201303/women-happiness-is-it-still-declining

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/may/18/womens-rights-happiness-wellbeing-gender-gap

Take a look at what they read. Look at the best selling fiction novels women are buying. Whole LOT of toxic masculinity in there.

Just saying....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What in the first half says masculinity is wholly negative?

Jan 16, 2019, 6:49 PM

The first half mentions bullying, sexual harassment, sexual assault which are real problems and then says the company believes in "the best in men" which they show to mean basically being a decent human being and to call others out who act like idiots.

What part of the Ad are people disagreeing with or see as "stupid?"

I get not liking the Ad because it's a commercial so it's saying these things simply to sell a product, but the "outrage" seems to be more over the content of the commercial which I'm having a hard time finding where the issues exist (other than the trigger word of "toxic masculinity")?

Re: I don't really disagree with your overall point, but...

Jan 17, 2019, 5:33 AM [ in reply to I don't really disagree with your overall point, but... ]

It's another in a long list of attacks on men and masculinity.

There was no masculinity attacked in there.

Jan 17, 2019, 8:25 AM

It was telling you to be a man by being a decent human being. If you treat women like crap and want to fight all the time, you're not a man. Period.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

People are calling it stupid...

Jan 17, 2019, 8:24 AM [ in reply to I don't really disagree with your overall point, but... ]

Only because it makes them uncomfortable with their contradictory beliefs that the commercial attacks.

The commercial sent a good message. Period.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: I don't really disagree with your overall point, but...

Jan 17, 2019, 1:35 PM [ in reply to I don't really disagree with your overall point, but... ]

What I find interesting is that the least masculine generation in our country's history has determined that "masculinity" is a growing threat to our existence.

As much as "snowflake" is thrown around in here

Jan 17, 2019, 12:10 PM

Ya'll are being a bunch of snowflakes about this commercial.

At least the BBC is using sources

Jan 17, 2019, 2:01 PM

Some outlets here, definitely not CNN, uses an "unnamed source" for quite a bit of their hit pieces on the Bad Orange Man.

If you're unaware.. thats just lingo for "we made this up"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

BBC is not legitimate. It's good you are starting to notice

Jan 17, 2019, 2:03 PM

the cracks more often.

Give it time, and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 647
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic