Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What good does being in the SEC do for South Carolina?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

What good does being in the SEC do for South Carolina?

Dec 5, 2013, 8:36 AM

They don't get to go to championship games, they never get the highly coveted ABC 8 pm or CBS timeslots for their games, and they end up in games like the meaningless Outback Bowl during their glory years, when in every other conference they'd be in a BCS bowl.

I would almost feel bad for them if I didn't hate them with a passion. I guess they're also okay with sitting on the sidelines of the big stage since they don't mind waving around that SEC banner every chance they get and chanting "SEC SEC SEC".

I like where we are in the ACC. FSU and OSU are showing us that you don't need to play tough game after tough game to make a national title game. As long as you beat the teams on your schedule (or even possibly go 11-1 in the 4-team playoff), you're going to be there at the end.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there are a number of benefits, but none that stand

Dec 5, 2013, 8:43 AM

out as really great. With regard to TV times, most of their games are at 7 on ESPN or ESPN2, unless it's against a crappy team. I don't agree that the 8pm ABC timeslot is that coveted. 7 on ESPN is just as good if you ask me. Also more money for the school (I know the ACC has a deal with ESPN also, but I've never looked at how much ours is vs the SEC deal). Plus I'm sure they get some recruits just because they can say they play in the SEC. Probably not a large number, but a few. They do get screwed on the bowl side of things though, and that to me is pretty important so if I was a SCar fan I would not be happy about that part of my SEC membership. Anything else I'm missing?

Suck it up and cheer for Alabama

Dec 5, 2013, 8:47 AM

sec sec sec .....the real sec teams appreciate the cheers.

Huh?***

Dec 5, 2013, 8:52 AM

the only real benefit is that the bowl package is better.

Dec 5, 2013, 9:53 AM [ in reply to I think there are a number of benefits, but none that stand ]

Even 3 and 4 spot SEC teams tend to get attractive bowls, like Capital One or Outback. The problem for the ACC is that our 3 and 4 teams get Music City and Sun bowl.

Re: I think there are a number of benefits, but none that stand

Dec 5, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to I think there are a number of benefits, but none that stand ]

I think the rationale was that they played in the conference that had been producing national champions, therefore their fans got to see them play the best team in the country. (as well as all the other teams they play)

If FSU/OSU play in the national championship, that means nothing.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out the logic/reasoning behind a South Carolina fan.

For $CU the benefit of being in the $EC is entirely monetary

Dec 5, 2013, 8:44 AM

and all that entails (facilities, exposure, recruiting, etc.).

That is, of course, if you exclude all of the National Championships they claim by association.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

From the business side, sure. But, don't discount the

Dec 5, 2013, 8:47 AM

band box.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For $CU the benefit of being in the $EC is entirely monetary***

Dec 5, 2013, 8:47 AM [ in reply to For $CU the benefit of being in the $EC is entirely monetary ]

$$$=facilities+topcoaches=goodplayers=wins

Re: What good does being in the SEC do for South Carolina?

Dec 5, 2013, 8:46 AM

They will ask you what good does it do winning a meaningless championship for a crap conference once every 20 years or so and then getting blown out by an "inferior" team in a prestigious bowl by a record setting score. On a serious note, if you can't see that the SEC has been good to South Carolina then you really do need to take off the orange tinted glasses. You can no longer see through them at all.

Make sure and explain to a USCheat fan what a bcs bowl is

Dec 5, 2013, 8:48 AM

They will never know.

money, exposure, helps recruiting***

Dec 5, 2013, 8:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What does that matter if you can't get off the sidelines?

Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM

Money is the only reason!

Exposure and recruiting don't matter if you still can't get through your division!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you guys maintain this mentality***

Dec 5, 2013, 8:51 AM

Dec 5, 2013, 8:53 AM

Lots of $$$. It's not an instant king maker but if they get people who know what they are doing, it will always be a fight to keep up.

Dec 5, 2013, 8:54 AM

ummm, the 8pm ABC slot is hardly coveted. You know why? Because it does not cover the SEC. CBS only has about 2 8pm games all season. Their slot is 3:30

As for the bowl situation, the fact is with the current bcs, outside of the bcsncg, pretty much all of the bowls are mere exhibitions. SC basically would get no more money for playing in the Sugar than they would from the liberty. as the conference splits the money. Frankly, I don't care where the teams goes. And in fact I would hope for the easiest matchup. Because it won't matter who they beat. If SC wins the bowl game they end the year in the top 10 again. And it won't matter what bowl it is or who the team is they beat.

But thats gonna change next year and if you think that easy acc schedule isn't gonna bite you, you just are not thinking straight. Pretty much every year you are gonna see TWO sec schools in that thing. And strength of schedule will be a major factor for teams fighting for the other 2 slots.

I guess it makes sense to downplay BCS bowls when

Dec 5, 2013, 9:05 AM

your team basically never has a chance at going to one.

so, you hate not ever getting into one, huh. it shows !

Dec 5, 2013, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: What good does being in the SEC do for South Carolina? ]

bwahahahaha.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great point Alpha Male

Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 AM

This is the last year that easy schedule for FSU or OSU will allow them to avoid playing an SEC team in the national championship.

Avoid playing a SEC team? So that's why Satan blew it? It

Dec 5, 2013, 10:02 AM

was going to be a SEC/ACC matchup until that debacle and the truth would have been self-evident. FSU will be at least a 6-1/2 point favorite against anybody, SEC or otherwise. Book it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean I get that it's helping them money-wise and exposure-

Dec 5, 2013, 9:00 AM

wise, but even in the SEC, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M are always going to have more money and more exposure. They've been in the conference for 25+ years now, and they haven't even really come close to winning a title. They won the division once, and then proceeded to get crushed.

If SC was doing what they're doing now in any other conference I'm sure they'd have some sort of meaningful trophy or accomplishment to hang their hat on. They'd probably have been to 3 BCS bowls by now. Instead all they have is a 5-game winning streak over a rival that no one outside of the state cares about, some 4th place SEC rings, and that SEC banner.

My bad...not 25+ years...they joined in 1991, but 20+ years***

Dec 5, 2013, 9:08 AM

NCAA violations are expected, not frowned upon.

Dec 5, 2013, 9:02 AM

plus, their criminals' behavior is overshadowed by their conference brethren.

Makes them look like a straight and narrow program when compared to Auburn, LSU, UGA, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA violations are expected, not frowned upon.

Dec 5, 2013, 11:41 AM

This coming from a fan of the ACC....featuring the NCAA violation history of Clemson, Miami, and FSU. Heck, even more recently the most severe cases in all of college football have come from UN"OT"Carolina and Miami.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

It obviously helps them recruit better and is........

Dec 5, 2013, 9:02 AM

also a big reason that Spurrier took the HC job there.

Dec 5, 2013, 9:08 AM

Connor Shaw, ESPN, Dec. 1, 2013: "We have respect for them, and they're a good team. But I don't know how they would do if they had to play in our league, just the grind of the SEC. We've played better teams than them this year."

Level of competition is much higher in the SEC than ACC. IF a team plays a competitive opponent once a month, and another plays a competitive opponent every other week, which one will improve more? However, chances for league titles and BCS bowls are surely diminished.

I wish he would have listed those "better teams"

Dec 5, 2013, 9:19 AM

North Carolina? ACC team, surely not.

Georgia? can't be - we beat them head to head.

Vanderbilt? they beat UGA too, but almost lost to Wake last Sat.

UCF? Come on.

Kentucky? Nope.

Arkansas? LOL.

Tennessee? I'm sure this one he'll claim is better than Clemson....yeah, right.

Missouri? OK, I'll spot him this one because there's just no one else.

Mississippi St?This would have to be #2 - he did say "teamS" plural

Florida? .....Cough....a 10-0 lead beats these guys

Coast Carolina? no comment.

So tell us Connor, who was so much better than Clemson?

Re: I wish he would have listed those "better teams"

Feb 5, 2014, 5:52 AM

I don't blame you for leaving Clemson off of your list because they are not very good either.

Clemson cannot be better than Clemson

Dec 5, 2013, 11:09 AM

life must truly be bliss for braindead people. Can you tie your shoes unassissted, or do you just use the velcro strap ones?

I feel bad, it's wrong of me to assume that everyone on here has some minute sliver of common sense, isn't it?

Recruiting, especially in-state.

Dec 5, 2013, 9:10 AM

M.Davis said that was the Main factor for him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2013, 9:13 AM

The biggest advantage to being in the SEC is recruiting. Just being competitive in the SEC has opened the door to owning our in state rival. That is worth it all.

Not to mention the lack of institutional control.***

Dec 5, 2013, 9:38 AM

Re: Not to mention the lack of institutional control.***

Dec 5, 2013, 9:41 AM

Or not being in a conference that is controlled by the schools on tobacco road.

Re: Not to mention the lack of institutional control.***

Dec 5, 2013, 9:43 AM

But, being in a conference that does control the NCAA. That'll get you a hand slap for lack of control.

I guess it makes sense to pretend a BCS bowl is an accomplishment

Dec 5, 2013, 9:42 AM

When you can't fall back on winning on the field.

There isn't a single poster on here who wouldn't trade places with SC right now. No one would rather have the orange bowl than a win over carolina.

Re: I guess it makes sense to pretend a BCS bowl is an accomplishment

Dec 5, 2013, 9:47 AM

Exactly!

I don't want to try and pretend to downplay the emotion that

Dec 5, 2013, 9:49 AM [ in reply to I guess it makes sense to pretend a BCS bowl is an accomplishment ]

losing to you goobers presents but, you think that everyone views the season as you do. And, that is understandable. You guys are in virgin territory, for you. And, I understand how you think that this should be huge for Clemson fans. For some, it is. For others, it's not. Dabo's right. We have goals and aspirations. Winning or losing the "rivalry" game is only tied to ONE.

Our biggest loss this year was to FSU.

Re: I don't want to try and pretend to downplay the emotion that

Dec 5, 2013, 10:08 AM

90% of the threads on Tnet seem to disagree with you

Re: I don't want to try and pretend to downplay the emotion that

Dec 5, 2013, 10:25 AM

90% of these threads are made up of goobers, just like you. Also, that same 90% of threads have rational posters involved in them.

Don't you have a 5th place to celebrate, somewhere else?

On the national stage and in the trophy case, a BCS bowl

Dec 5, 2013, 9:49 AM [ in reply to I guess it makes sense to pretend a BCS bowl is an accomplishment ]

and especially a victory in a BCS bowl is much more important than a win over a rival.

I mean no one in the state of SC cares who wins the game between Washington and Washington State or Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but well over 10 million people will watch the Rose Bowl.

Re: On the national stage and in the trophy case, a BCS bowl

Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM

Then why aren't you ranked higher than us? Oh that's right, we just keep beating you.

flattering that beating us is your greatest lifetime program

Dec 5, 2013, 10:03 AM

accomplishment. That and the 1969 ACC CHAMPIONS banner you so proudly hang. Good stuff.

If the only thing that matters is being better than Clemson,

Dec 5, 2013, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: On the national stage and in the trophy case, a BCS bowl ]

then yes, you guys are champs.

Unfortunately, the rest of the country considers actual championships and trophies to be meaningful.

Re: On the national stage and in the trophy case, a BCS bowl

Dec 5, 2013, 10:30 AM [ in reply to On the national stage and in the trophy case, a BCS bowl ]

How did the BCS bowl play out last year for Clemson? It only works if you win and having a blowout lost and not to mention the worst lost in BCS Bowl history is nothing to brag about.

Uh. I wouldn't trade places with SCU now.

Dec 5, 2013, 12:29 PM [ in reply to I guess it makes sense to pretend a BCS bowl is an accomplishment ]

Not sure of your point with that. But yes, we would like to get back to regularly beating you, it was the natural order of things.

Sitting on the fringes while your conference mates go to better bowls sucks. We did that for a long time while beating you. I would rather beat you AND go to a BCS bowl, but...

I think we'd all rather suffer at not beating you yet snicker while you pine away at Alabama and Auburn/Missouri while we play in the Orange Bowl (possibly).

In general, better competition forces you to

Dec 5, 2013, 9:53 AM

recruit/coach/play at a higher level if you want to win.

Vanderbilt isn't lonely anymore***

Dec 5, 2013, 9:59 AM

Re: Vanderbilt isn't lonely anymore***

Dec 5, 2013, 10:01 AM

wow...you're right and we can't beat them ..what's up with that ..

They get to admit and retain any kind of player...period***

Dec 5, 2013, 10:03 AM

Greatest era in Gamecock history. ZERO champinships..lol***

Dec 5, 2013, 10:07 AM

SC beats Clemson and they go to Outback/Capital One. Clemson

Dec 5, 2013, 10:34 AM

loses to SC and goes to (probably) two Orange Bowls and two Chick-fil-a bowls (the 2nd best in our conference). Two BCS bowls for us in their five year run and the best they will have gotten is a Cotton Bowl invite. It kills them.

But, their SEC membership gets them $$$$ and a crutch to lean on for marketing and recruiting. This is their advantage that we have to overcome to compete against them.

USC recruiter to potential recruit

Dec 5, 2013, 10:41 AM

Do you want to play in the SEC or not??

Re: What good does being in the SEC do for South Carolina?***

Dec 5, 2013, 10:57 AM

I seem to see a thousand thread a year on this board about wanting to be in the SEC. I don't think any Gamecocks would trade places with you for all the bowls in the world and I don't blame the. The ACC sux!

$$$$$$$$$$******

Dec 5, 2013, 11:16 AM

Re: $$$$$$$$$$******

Dec 5, 2013, 11:58 AM

Right on. Why this wasn't the first and only answer, I'll never know. But like StevL said, loads and loads of money, is the answer you're looking for. Sure, being cannibalized by other SEC teams for few BCS spots surely is a pain, but the money is dolled out across the board regardless.

TigerFan555 can continue to make that argument

Dec 5, 2013, 12:22 PM

But the game is about being the best team possible.

No one is jealous of the sun belt champion right now.

Re: TigerFan555 can continue to make that argument

Dec 5, 2013, 12:42 PM

What do coots show recruits for a trophy case ????

I guess all those sec trophies are big .

Pgtbeauregard

Dec 5, 2013, 12:38 PM

I hope you get your wish. I will gladly take a win over you guys every hear. You can have the bcs bowl.

You stink at reading.

Dec 5, 2013, 12:44 PM

I never expressed any 'wish'.

My desire is to get back to beating you AND go to a BCS bowl.

Re: You stink at reading.

Dec 5, 2013, 1:30 PM

Unfortunately I think with the new rules next year not only will the Coots beat us but they will get into BCS games. We need to get better because our go to jabs that we use are starting to disappear

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/12/04/490074/bowl-scenarios-bcs-rules-limit.html

As I suspected

Dec 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

The win over us is more important than the bcs bowl.

I don't think being in another conference guartantees them

Dec 5, 2013, 1:16 PM

anything BCS. I hear this BS every year about how they could have won a championship in another league (blah, blah, blah), but then they struggled and got spanked by a weaker FSU team (# 3 ACC team that year) in the past couple of years.

If reality tells us anything, Uscjr. would struggle with beating FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, and even GT just like everyone else and each other (that's not even including the upset teams). I didn't think their win over UNC (who deserved to be at the bottom half of the league then) at the beginning of the year was really all that impressive.

Imagine if they had to play Ohio State, USC, Texas, Stanford, Oklahoma, Oregon, or even Baylor in another league. Do you think it would really be any different?

Dec 5, 2013, 1:41 PM

I forgot usuck has t hardees trophy lol

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic