Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What ever happened to freedom of speech and freedom to express ones own opinions!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1,134

What ever happened to freedom of speech and freedom to express ones own opinions!

Dec 8, 2014, 8:16 PM

I am so sick of all of this politically correct BS. I know of people who have invested 25 years into their careers only to be torpedoed by the liberal media who can say or print anything. Regardless if it is true or false.

How much longer are we going to let minority groups decide how you live you life!!!! My kid took a class at Clemson and the professor made it clear she was an evolutionist. She also hinted papers submitted based on the Bible would not carry the weight of a paper based on her philosophy.

I support SAE's freedom of expression!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you know who would love this topic?

Dec 8, 2014, 8:19 PM

The Politics and Religion Board.....it is thaaaaaaata way, bub.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What ever happened to freedom of speech and freedom to express ones own opinions!

Dec 8, 2014, 8:33 PM

Or maybe we can focus on being decent to one another and stop waving the constitution in everyone's face when we offend people.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We also should have the right to speak freely w/I having to measure every single word.

Dec 8, 2014, 8:36 PM

And people need to stop being such whiners. It has to work both ways. Right now we are on a one way street definitely headed in the wrong direction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We also should have the right to speak freely w/I having to measure every single word.

Dec 8, 2014, 8:39 PM

sure, but exactly what type of free speech does a bunch of frat boys showing up at a party in black face say about our university?

No one was wearing black face

Dec 8, 2014, 8:48 PM

Some ####### this afternoon kept posting decade old pictures-probably confused you

Re: No one was wearing black face

Dec 8, 2014, 8:56 PM

I wasn't here this afternoon, and check your meter.

Just wanted to clear up your confusion***

Dec 8, 2014, 8:58 PM

Re: Just wanted to clear up your confusion***

Dec 8, 2014, 9:07 PM

cool, I am glad none is whining about this, especially not the OP.

Re: What ever happened to freedom of speech and freedom to express ones own opinions!

Dec 8, 2014, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: What ever happened to freedom of speech and freedom to express ones own opinions! ]

I'll take the constitution card in my face over the race card any day!

Dec 8, 2014, 9:01 PM

how this became a constitutional or racial issue is beyond me.

But I think Clemson University has a sensitivity to the issue and felt like this was very poor judgement, hurtful to some students, and just a dumb idea all around.

Dec 8, 2014, 9:03 PM

You brought up the constitution on the post I responded to...

Dec 8, 2014, 9:09 PM

I did not bring it up, Check the OP, and the lutz about people not whining. So far the only people i see whining are the first amendment crowd.

You have to look at classes like that as a debate

Dec 8, 2014, 8:40 PM

One that you have to argue the side, you don't necessarily believe in. Life is like that too.

Sometimes you have to play the game . Doesn't mean you have to believe in or practice those philosophies

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

They have the freedom to act like idiots all they want so

Dec 8, 2014, 8:42 PM

long as they are affiliated with Clemson. They should be banned from campus

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are not affiliated***

Dec 8, 2014, 8:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same thing happened to my sons (twins) in college. Teacher (English) didn't like the conservantive slant of the paper so have a lower grade. Didn't care how well the paper was written.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*gave

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had quite the opposite reaction from several very liberal

Dec 8, 2014, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: What ever happened to freedom of speech and freedom to express ones own opinions! ]

history professor once. It was History of the Italian Renaissance, or something dealing with the Renaissance. He gave us some loaded paper topic about the injustice of the treatment of women during the period, or some such garbage.

I did not take the bait, at all. I basically said that it is a travesty to the study of history to impart contemporary mores on the study past social conditions. Instead, to study and truly understand history, you must suspend everything you know about the world today to try and understand the social norms of the period. Only THEN do you learn the reason, in the context of THAT TIME AND THAT CULTURE. I went on to explain the reasons and outlined how that made perfect sense at the time given these conditions and beliefs. To THEM, it was not an injustice, and quite frankly I listed a dozen things they would consider injustices from modern times, and gave several examples from his class, and test questions.

Another history professor gave us a loaded paper topic. I think it was history of the Appalachian South, or something. And this one was a doozy. She wanted to know why mountain folk are stupid and had such difficulty understanding and accepting evolution (Scopes Monkey Trial, etc.). Again, I ripped into the paper topic full force. I explained the Christian culture and traditions of the region at the time, and how they simply did not have a history or understanding of the theory. I also lit into her for calling mountain people ignorant simply because they had not been exposed to, or lived in, other parts of American society. Basically I said it is what is, and to call them ignorant was no more enlightened than their rejection of evolution.

Both professors gave me an A+....and that is hard to do on a history paper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

History is different. We are trained to embrace other

Dec 8, 2014, 11:18 PM

perspectives if they are logically argued and have a legitimate source.

So being labeled "liberal/conservative" doesn't usually fit trained historians.

I had students think I was wishy-washy liberal and others think I was reactionary conservative, at different times.

There were perhaps 2 history professors at Clemson

Dec 9, 2014, 8:22 AM

who were conservative when I was there. Most were liberal, "trained" or not. But the bright ones, you could always speak your mind, if you spoke well. Then there were others who were not as bright, who you just regurgitated what they wanted to hear in paper after paper, not believing any of it but knowing that they didn't care to hear an opposing view. There is an art to reading professors and understanding what they want or can tolerate to maximize your scores. But I do not recall any that I would consider even being close to a reactionary conservative.....and I will use the Ronald Reagan standard for that since he's clearly on the RWN end of the political spectrum today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is much harder to be very socially conservative when you

Dec 9, 2014, 9:51 AM

are trained extensively in history. I went in that way, but learned too much about human nature to stay that way. Being an unaffiliated moderate is the best I can do now. :)

Also you have to look at what the proffesor's specialty is. If they are colonial or women focused, they are more likely to be 'liberal,' at least as the word is used these days. Historians are generally less opinionated than the other liberal arts disciplines, especially sociology, anthropology and poli Sci. It is beaten into our heads that we cannot escape bias and that we must acknowledge our own slant. This trains the brain to be more self aware. Like right now an alarm bell went off telling me I'm biased towards historians and I am generalizing. So I went back and edited this post a little. :)

Of course some people are impervious to this.

Admit it. That alarm bell was really your

Dec 9, 2014, 9:54 AM

inner Grammarian finding a defect in your post.

Some professors give loaded questions like that precisely

Dec 9, 2014, 8:23 AM [ in reply to I had quite the opposite reaction from several very liberal ]

because it fires up the students, and in turn makes the job of reading the papers far more interesting.

Well, I can think of a half-dozen or more classes where the

Dec 9, 2014, 8:37 AM

professors gave loaded questions and obviously wanted boilerplate answers. I remember one professor who was a burnt out former lawyer from Chicago. Clearly liberal. She gave a loaded question and I gave the exact same argument as in the other two papers, and used examples from her class. I got a D. It was my first paper. The rest of the semester I was a good little mind-numbed robot and regurgitated what she wanted to hear and ended up with an A. I got ZERO from her class.

The best was a history class where we had to read, and read a LOT. I believe it was over 3,000 pages for the semester. Anyway, we were talking about one book we were reading, I think it was our fifth or sixth book. The author made a very clear point about a topic we had discussed earlier from a prior book. I happened to have that book and had the prior passage highlighted from the other author. I read it to him, both passages from both books. They essentially said the opposite things. I asked the professor "Which author is wrong, because one of them is." He had this deer caught in the headlight look on his face and said "Well, now you know why they call it "his story". That was one of the best quotes ever from a history professor.

You are a moron***

Dec 8, 2014, 9:23 PM

I support your right to call him a moran***

Dec 8, 2014, 9:40 PM

Let's review our freedom of speech.

Dec 9, 2014, 8:13 AM

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Nowhere does it say that you can say whatever you'd like without any repercussions. It does say that the government can't prohibit you from saying it (i.e. arresting you). Therefore you are allowed to shout whatever you'd like at the top of your lungs but don't be surprised if a racial slur or say, a party with racial undertones causes you to lose your job or even your fraternity privileges.

> How much longer are we going to let minority groups decide how you live you life!!!! My kid took a class at Clemson and the professor made it clear she was an evolutionist. She also hinted papers submitted based on the Bible would not carry the weight of a paper based on her philosophy.

Which class was this in? If it was a biology class then the teacher has every right to give your kid bad marks if she doesn't learn the material; what makes your kid so special that he/she can just deny the material and expect to make a passing grade? Clemson is a public university, not a private Christian school where you are free to send your student if your belief system doesn't agree with Clemson's (and the vast majority of other world class universities).

> I support SAE's freedom of expression!

I don't agree with SAE's bad choices but I do support their freedom of expression here. I also thing that deserve any repercussions of this if they aren't intelligent enough to see that this is one of the worst political climates to do such a thing in.

You are free to believe in magical thinking and superstition

Dec 9, 2014, 8:19 AM

However, enrolling in a class that is decidedly not in conformance with one's magical thoughts and superstitions then expecting the syllabus to be altered in include magical thinking and superstitions in order to foist your beliefs on others is not a protected act.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1,134
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic