Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Nine up, three down
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Nine up, three down

Jul 29, 2012, 1:56 PM

Nine up, three down

TigerNet tells you why the Tigers might win each game, and why they might lose it. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Carolina

Jul 29, 2012, 2:12 PM

has learned to schedule a 'cupcake' the week before they play us... I'd like to see us do that... not that NC State is the most stout of teams.

actually, usuck doesn't make that schedule......the SEC

Jul 29, 2012, 2:18 PM

makes that schedule up.....at usuck's request. The SEC does pretty much the same thing for other SEC schools who have an instate rival not in the SEC.

5 or 6 years ago, the ACC scheduled Clemson's bye week the week before the chickengame....and from the whining and excuse making, one would've thought the Tiger mascot went across the state and slapped each one of 'ems momma in the face.......since then, they've ALWAYS had either a bye week or a cupcake scheduled before the annual rivalry game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes and no

Jul 29, 2012, 7:21 PM

Each school schedules their own out of conference games and the ACC then schedules the conference games around those ooc games. I am sure that is how the SEC does it as well. So if Clemson wants a cupcake before the USuC game then the just simply need to schedule that FCS school for that Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Re: South Carolina

Jul 29, 2012, 2:33 PM [ in reply to South Carolina ]

Tom Obrien may have NCST on the move

Re: South Carolina

Jul 29, 2012, 3:58 PM

I've been telling [people that NCSU is a trap game. OBrien is quietly going about putting together a good team. His teams have always been fundamentally sound....nothing fancy but bust you in the mouth.

So look out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Our schedule is set up for us to run the table if we can

Jul 29, 2012, 4:58 PM [ in reply to South Carolina ]

beat Carolina.

- I think we can beat Auburn again.
-Then we have 2 lighter weeks (vs Ball St & Furman) to hopefully keep us fresh, healthy, and prepared for week 4 vs FSU. Meanwhile FSU enters this game having played 3 straight, unchallenging weeks vs Murray St, Savannah St, and Wake. Hopefully that leaves them physically & mentally less prepared & conditioned for us.
- We have 2 weeks to prepare for Va Tech, and it's a home game. Tech doesn't.
- Then it's 4 games vs Wake, Duke, Maryland, and NCSt. We should win those.
- that leaves a showdown with SC who cowardly scheduled Wofford the week before.

It would be icing on the cake if Wofford beats them followed by us.

This needs to be the year that we don't beat ourselves like years past.

Re: Our schedule is set up for us to run the table if we can

Jul 29, 2012, 5:35 PM

We will not run the table because of one thing;your word if.
We could easily lose at Tallahassee.
We have both Tech's back to back.
When was the last time we won a Thursday night game?
When was the last time we beat Wake,Maryland and State in the same season?
The words Duke game and trap game both have 8 letters.
Oh,and I never try to make a sentence with the words and,if ,or but in it!

Gloom despair and agony on me***

Jul 29, 2012, 5:36 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Jul 29, 2012, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Our schedule is set up for us to run the table if we can ]

Woooooooo I'm so impressed!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2012, 10:31 AM

Being realistic as I was LAST year, qb is our soft spot just like last year
I hope we have at least 1 qb2b on standby

Jul 29, 2012, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Our schedule is set up for us to run the table if we can ]

NCSU will be one of the tougher games this season.

they will be considerably better than most people expect

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 30, 2012, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Our schedule is set up for us to run the table if we can ]

Every year there are those fans that talk about it being a 10+ Win season no matter what kind of team (or coaches) will actually be taking the field. Usually I just shake my head, but for the first time in a loooonngg time, I am really excited about an upcoming season. A good team and a favorable schedule give the Tigers a real shot to still be a factor at the end of the season. National Champs? Well, probably not, but a repeat of an ACC championship and an Orange Bowl win are certainly possible.

Open date did not help us in 2007 and 08 when we lost to

Jul 29, 2012, 6:08 PM [ in reply to South Carolina ]

clemson.

Re: Front Page Story: Nine up, three down

Jul 29, 2012, 2:32 PM

That was a horrible piece

Let me tell Tigernet to give you a full refund

Jul 29, 2012, 2:41 PM

On your membership.

Maybe your should surf other Clemson sites.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me tell Tigernet to give you a full refund

Jul 29, 2012, 3:13 PM

Im a member of tigerillustrated

Jul 29, 2012, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Nine up, three down ]

Absolutely skin crawling!!!

Jul 29, 2012, 3:07 PM

I hate to say it but this is a terrible write-up! No substance and a lame excuse for an article. Seriously, this is pitiful!!

From what I could gather

Jul 29, 2012, 3:18 PM

it sounds as if you could do a better job...... The floor is yours. DH has always been a very insightful individual. By far not his best, but fun nonetheless.

Re: From what I could gather

Jul 29, 2012, 9:38 PM

Very excitable aren't you.

Jul 29, 2012, 3:48 PM

This article is weak, much like those of the crappy ACC blogger on espn.com

Sunday morning hangover I suppose. Very weak analysis

9-3????? Have more faith than that!

Jul 29, 2012, 4:36 PM

I'm saying 10 wins at least

8-4...9-3.......max at 10-2. Calling 8-4

Jul 29, 2012, 6:31 PM

We looked terrible at the end of the year starting with Wake.

What does the end of last year have to do with this year?*****

Jul 30, 2012, 8:50 AM

Why is 9-3 considered a pessimistic prediction??? I'd say

Jul 29, 2012, 8:24 PM [ in reply to 9-3????? Have more faith than that! ]

a fair over/under on regular season wins would be nine. Keep in mind we lost 4 of 6 down the stretch, and all four were double digit losses.

Again, not sure why 9-3 is considered having little faith? Seems like a very realistic prediction.

I just think we're a better team than that, that's all***

Jul 30, 2012, 8:50 AM

Jul 29, 2012, 4:53 PM

I'm not going to say that FSU is going to beat Clemson or Clemson is going to beat them. The media and a lot of people have been picking FSU to win the ACC and last year or two they were even "National Title" contenders. Not saying this year they're not, but history says otherwise.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2012, 10:59 AM

Jimbo's been their head coach, even though Bowden stood around in the way looking lost, for a number of years. I don't see all the hype about his coaching. They do have great athletes, but we have many ourselves now. I just want us to perform every game up to our ability. If we do, we will be fine. If we don't, there could be several slip ups. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2012, 6:03 PM

Interesting that Dabo also sees that we could lose 5 games. I predicted this several weeks ago. I could see 7-5 as the worst, and 10-2 as the best. 11-1 would require a miracle IMO.

I guess reality is a beatch. I'm still looking forward to a great season, with a possible ACC Championship if we can get by FSU at Doak. That's the most critical game of the year for us (and probably them too).

Our improved talent alone will get us 10 wins. We'll get 11

Jul 29, 2012, 10:24 PM

wins due to what David referred to as an improved defense. Venebles is an upgrade from Steele. Everybody agrees about that. Improved defensive coaching with improved talent will lead to a 11-1 record.

A couple years ago most people thought Steele was great.

Jul 30, 2012, 6:18 AM

Waiting for Venables to PROVE it. His defenses at OU got light up quite a lot considering how much talent they had.

Re: A couple years ago most people thought Steele was great.

Jul 31, 2012, 3:39 PM

keven steel had some big short comings. admittedly, he had some strengths, but he was more of a politician than a "super x and o" man. He could not defense the option and he did not have enough confidence in what he was doing. He seemed to "play the play" not accounting for options off the play. the new guy is better fundamentally. One very good thing about the defense is that their are two very excellent def line coaches who made steel look at times; they will be a very good asset to the new guy.

Re: A couple years ago most people thought Steele was great.

Jul 31, 2012, 3:47 PM [ in reply to A couple years ago most people thought Steele was great. ]

keven steel had some big short comings. admittedly, he had some strengths, but he was more of a politician than a "super x and o" man. He could not defense the option and he did not have enough confidence in what he was doing. He seemed to "play the play" not accounting for options off the play. the new guy is better fundamentally. One very good thing about the defense is that their are two very excellent def line coaches who made steel look at times; they will be a very good asset to the new guy.

Jul 30, 2012, 12:12 PM

Very good analysis. No games we can't win or no games we can't lose.
The big unknowns are injuries to key players and penalities at a vital point in a game. Think we will see better attitudes this year, but what if Boyd , Ellington, and Watkins all get season-ending injuries against Auburn? Anybody think we could overcome that? And no amount of coaching could make up for it.

Jul 31, 2012, 3:28 PM

easy article to write. it's like saying clemsom could win or lose every game on its schedule; which it could. however, this is not likely. we don't know how well this team will"gell." It is safe to say that clemson will put enough talent on the field to have a good season. We don't know about i injuries. I can tell from the spring game that they will be more efficient on defense; I do think that the rest of the league will go to school on the offense; this is not a bad thing, but a reality. one goal I would have is to be equally ready each week. not too up or too down. remember their are three teams on their schedule who can match them talent-wise, but talent does not win games as much as determination. Clemson will probably win some games that the faithful find questionable, but maybe drop a game or two to somebody that they were favored to beat. keep the first two senerios and eliminate the latter.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic