Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC Window?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

SEC Window?

Jun 12, 2012, 4:44 PM

Could we end up in the SEC before this is all said and done. The North Carolina and Virginia schools are off-limits legislatively as long as the ACC holds together. Virginia Tech said no last year. I think that Clemson and FSU have said no to the Big 12 and that is final at this point, especially after Dabo's statement this week. This will force the SEC to look elsewhere and they do not have any major schools to expand to (assuming Oklahoma and Texas are off limits). And then there is Clemson and FSU who are two big programs that would jump in a heartbeat. They would not expand the conference footprint, however they are two programs with massive followings that would increase the conference prestige and tv contract. Anyway just and idea that is floating around. Wonder what you guys thing

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only way that happens is we get yes votes now that Mizzou

Jun 12, 2012, 4:45 PM

and aTm have votes. A yes from everyone besided USC, UGA, and Florida wold still yield the percentage needed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only way that happens is we get yes votes now that Mizzou

Jun 12, 2012, 4:47 PM

Lets get in the SEC and vote the coots out!

Jun 12, 2012, 5:37 PM

that would be funny

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2012, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Only way that happens is we get yes votes now that Mizzou ]

I think UGA would support our move. It is USC and UF against.

Spurrier and Tanner both stated support for clemson. They

Jun 12, 2012, 7:22 PM

would not have done so without the "OK" all the way up the Carolina chain of command.

The problem for clemson and FSU is that the SEC is going to a "SEC Network" business model. And that requires ADDING to the footprint. There was a great article in "Outkick The Coverage" about this today.

Re: Spurrier and Tanner both stated support for clemson. They

Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 PM

The North Carolina and Virginia schools are off limits so it will be interesting to see which direction the SEC heads in

Re: Spurrier and Tanner both stated support for clemson. They

Jun 13, 2012, 5:48 AM

Many people on this board don't think so because they have talked about VT and NCS following FSU and clemson to the B12. But if they weren't, I could see the SEC looking at other schools outside its footprint, not even in the southeast, as geography is no longer an issue.

You guys need to calm down and take a deep breath . . .

Jun 13, 2012, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Only way that happens is we get yes votes now that Mizzou ]

re: Clemson getting an invite to join the SEC - please, for your health's sake, forget. It is NEVER going to happen.

Steve Spurrier can say he's in favor of admitting Clemson to the SEC from now until forever, but it won't make any difference. He said the same thing about FSU when he was at Florida, but you see who got into the Eastern Division of the SEC in 1992.

The SEC is a conference of gentlemen. Everyone is treated with equal respect. When the Godfathers (Presidents) gather around the round table in Destin each Spring, and Slive hands out those fat little envelopes, everybody leaves happy and proud to go back and deliver the good news to their 'families'. Clemson University will not be sitting at that table at anytime in the future.

Even though you will not be joining us in the SEC, we look forward to many more years of competition in football and all other sports between our two schools.

Wut?

Jun 12, 2012, 4:47 PM

Let me get this straight. We have said no to Big 12 based on one coaches comments???

Why is the SEC being forced to look elsewhere? You mean the Big 12?

The rest of it would all be good-Clemson in SEC and all that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whether its the ACC or the SEC, someone needs to be the

Jun 12, 2012, 4:52 PM

first major conference to 16 teams, because it's coming. With the right programs a rebuilt ACC could be lucrative, and certainly a move to the SEC would be favorable as well. As some have stated, after the playoff deal is set, that's when the windfall starts.

What does the SEC gain by adding Clemson????***

Jun 12, 2012, 11:15 PM

Meaningful, natural rivalry games that would now fall under

Jun 12, 2012, 11:31 PM

complete SEC tv control. CU v SCar, CU v FSU, CU v UGA all could be division deciding games and most likely primetime games. It's one thing to reach a bunch of tv sets, but you still need a product worth watching. Other than adding to their footprint what does NCSU or VT add?

Re: Meaningful, natural rivalry games that would now fall under

Jun 13, 2012, 5:54 AM

But the SEC won't take a paycut. If the networks won't pay up to bring in teams already in the footprint, it won't work. If the networks would pay up, FSU and clemson would already be in the SEC. NCS and VT add 17 million people to the table. And being that the SEC is going to establish a network, that's the equivalent of a precious metal. Have you seen the price of precious metals lately?

Adding Clemson and FSU to ANY conference would not cause....

Jun 13, 2012, 7:54 AM

a pay cut. That is something your coot friends dreamed up.

Dividing the pie into 16 pieces rather than 14 reduces the

Jun 13, 2012, 9:47 AM

income per school. The only reason the SEC will get more money for adding Texas A&M and Missouri is because they add more potential cable customers within their state boundaries for the soon to be announced SEC network.

More intriguingly, what the he!! did they gain

Jun 12, 2012, 11:34 PM [ in reply to What does the SEC gain by adding Clemson????*** ]

by adding you guys??? A second rate athletic history at a second rate academic institution.....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When's the last time you beat the Gamecocks in anything?***

Jun 12, 2012, 11:45 PM

When's the last time usuck was on NCAA Probation...

Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 PM

oh wait.....nevermind.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simply pathetic response.....................***

Jun 12, 2012, 11:52 PM

as was yours, chickentroll...............

Jun 12, 2012, 11:55 PM

do you expect to come on Tigernet and start flaming with no response???

go the eff back to that fgfcesspool and stay there.

Very classy.......I simply asked a question..........***

Jun 12, 2012, 11:57 PM

yeah right......and I answered it......

Jun 12, 2012, 11:58 PM

in the same spirit it was asked:

What the he!! did usuck bring to the SEC when you joined???

Jealousy..........that's all this is!***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:06 AM

The day we are jealous of USC will be a cold day in hell

Jun 13, 2012, 12:15 PM

I could care less about your POS school. Stringing together some success for the first time in 100 years does nothing to change that fact.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jealousy..........that's all this is!***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:06 AM [ in reply to yeah right......and I answered it...... ]

Only a complete moron would EVER think

Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 AM

a Clemson fan would in ANY way be jealous of that joke of a university in Columbia

heck, they tied a record in the SEC...

Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 AM [ in reply to yeah right......and I answered it...... ]

coots hold a record with Fla and Ky for no wins in season. However, Fla & KY did tie a game in their no win seasons. So, I guess the coots hold that record all by themselves

Don't shortchange 'em, now....they do have back-to-back

Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 AM

3 Year NCAA Probations!!!!!!!...

to coincide with those 5th place rings!!

They have a zoo!***

Jun 13, 2012, 7:55 AM [ in reply to More intriguingly, what the he!! did they gain ]

A school from SC with class fans.***

Jun 13, 2012, 9:35 PM [ in reply to What does the SEC gain by adding Clemson????*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC Window?

Jun 12, 2012, 11:43 PM

Let's see, the SEC is having trouble getting more tv money for adding tamu and Mizzou and you think the member schools would be cool with adding TWO MORE TEAMS in tv markets where they already exist?

Adding FSU and Clemson to the SEC makes perfect sense in every category except for the money. The problem is that today the only thing that really matters is the money.

You Never Know!!!

Jun 12, 2012, 11:53 PM

I did NOT know Spurrier supports the idea ... I always hear that USCAR is against letting Clemson in... SEC makes sense, B12, not so much..................

Message was edited by: hooters_akimbo®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You Never Know!!!

Jun 13, 2012, 5:56 AM

Unfortunately, it doesn't make financial sense.

Jun 13, 2012, 12:04 AM

SEC wants big schools with big fan bases. Clemson would be 2nd or 3rd smallest school in the SEC

Jun 13, 2012, 12:19 AM

but the attendance for Clemson is above many SEC schools.

Jun 13, 2012, 9:06 PM

attendance doesn't always mean TV viewers

Perfect example is your school.

Jun 13, 2012, 9:10 PM

You guys have pretty good attendance numbers but no one really much cares about watching you on TV. Good point.

Jun 13, 2012, 12:56 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC Window? ]

Jun 13, 2012, 12:57 AM

Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 AM

Jun 13, 2012, 9:05 PM

and what is that based on?

Jun 13, 2012, 5:59 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC Window? ]

The SEC wants more money from the networks and/or more potential cable customers. That's something that clemson can't produce.

Jun 13, 2012, 1:05 AM

Ain't gonna happen dude. Sorry.

Re: What does the SEC gain by adding Clemson????***

Jun 13, 2012, 1:13 AM

I will address this realistically. One Clemson and Fsu are the only schools in the ACC that have an atmosphere comparable to most SEC schools. 2. While clemson isnt a national brand
they are a southern brand and have a very loyal fan base that spans from northcarolina south carolina and georgia. Heck even in florida now people are becoming clemson fans. 3. Clemson and FSU lock up the southern foot print where college football is king.

Now my question to you what teams can the SEC add that will improve the amount of money they get? Nc St? Ga tech? Va tech? None of those schools will have the fan base that is needed to get more money. Well maybe Va Tech. College football in the north is irrealvant northerners mainly follow pro teams and would rather go to a pro game. Think about how the SEC could lose money having teams that are dead weight aka more Kentuckys in football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: What does the SEC gain by adding Clemson????***

Jun 13, 2012, 6:02 AM

If the networks would pay up to bring clemson in the SEC, clemson would have been in last year. So, it's a moot point.

Re: Re: SEC Window?

Jun 13, 2012, 1:19 AM

Your right but it should happen. Scar should be pleading for Clemson to get into the SEC. At the rate expansions are going no one will have an OOC schedule. What happens if Scar never gets to play Clemson again? As much as yall hate Clemson yall love to.beat clemson more and the all time record will never get caught up. Lol for a bunch of boasting chest beating "monsters" yall gamecock fans are y'all sure are scared of clemson to the SEC. Lmao

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It is really simple. If CU wants something, I dont want them

Jun 13, 2012, 8:12 AM

to have it. It is called being a true rival.

Re: It is really simple. If CU wants something, I dont want them

Jun 13, 2012, 11:39 AM

I think its called being scared, chickenboy!

imagine a 10" apple pie cut into 14 slices....

Jun 13, 2012, 9:19 AM

...how can you carve out 2 more slices w/o taking away from one of the original 14's piece of pie?

Re: imagine a 10" apple pie cut into 14 slices....

Jun 13, 2012, 11:50 AM

By making it a 12" pie. You're welcome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

SEC is a done deal.***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:16 PM

Re: SEC is a done deal.***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 PM

As done a deal as the Big 12??

My hunch is that the SEC is still in play.

Jun 13, 2012, 1:25 PM

May not happen, but I still think it's a possibility.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anything is possible.

Jun 13, 2012, 1:35 PM

Me getting it on with Katherine Heigle or Scarlette Johannsen, is possible. But you have to act on probabilities, not possibilities. Clemson would be wise to act on probabilities, too.

Jun 13, 2012, 10:21 PM

If you look at the Big 10 Network, then you see the logic behind NCST and VT.

The Big 10 gets like 70 cents per cable subscriber in states where they have a team vs. 10 cents where they don't have a team.

SEC has the product and people are going to want the SEC network, so getting two states next to the SEC with millions of people is big money.

Clemson and FSU would have to add 7x the viewers of VT and NCST along with not causing a drop in the 1st and 2nd tier money split.

The viewership of those school isn't there. It isn't an insult to those schools. It is just a fact that USC and FL are in, so it is pretty much impossible for Clemson and FSU to get in (assuming they would want in). The just don't add value for the 3rd tier rights.

The timing for both of those school is just horrible now and likely in the future. In 1992, both could have likely got in ahead of Arkansas and USC. They didn't though, so that is water under the bridge.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic