Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do you think? If we win the coin toss against UGA,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,712

What do you think? If we win the coin toss against UGA,

Aug 18, 2013, 8:44 PM

to take full advantage of the crowd to start the game do you think Dabo should defer and kick to them, or do like he usually does and take the ball first? I'd like to see him start deferring regardless, but with the way the place should be stoked at kickoff for this one, I'd especially like to see us go on defense first.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What do you think? If we win the coin toss against UGA,

Aug 18, 2013, 8:45 PM

Kick it to them and start on d!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2013, 8:46 PM

This is easy... We always take the ball first due to Morris' offense and snap count. Winning toss = more snaps.

Not necessarily

Aug 18, 2013, 8:52 PM

Taking the ball first does not necessarily mean more snaps. It would entirely depend on how both halves go. I've always been a much bigger fan of taking the ball to start the second half, because it can often lead to a 2 for 1 scoring chance between late in the first and the start of the second half.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not necessarily

Aug 18, 2013, 8:57 PM

I would also rather get the ball in the second half, but Morris tries to dictate tempo, etc. If we execute our tempo, limit turnovers, and the defense gets off the field, the snap count in the mid 4th becomes an issue for most opposing teams.

Aug 18, 2013, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: What do you think? If we win the coin toss against UGA, ]

Actually - Someone explained it to me once because I thought you were guaranteed as many snaps as the opponent, but I was wrong.

If you take the ball first and they have it to end the first half, then they get it to start the second half. If they manage to also have possession at the end of the 2nd half, then they get ONE more possession than we do. I didn't think of this - but it makes sense now.

That said - Morris takes the ball regardless of the toss.

How do you figure winning the toss equals more snaps?

Aug 18, 2013, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: What do you think? If we win the coin toss against UGA, ]

Kick the ball, get a stop, get the ball and score as well as get the ball after the half is what you want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: How do you figure winning the toss equals more snaps?

Aug 18, 2013, 9:13 PM

You are assuming each team gets the same number of downs per possession.

By speeding up the tempo, you create more snaps in theory if you a) convert on 3rd down and get off the field defensively on 3rd down. That's why it's such a heavy focus in Morris' offense. It's not that we are trying to get more snaps than the opposing team, we are trying to run our snap count up as high as possible. The bowl game was a perfect example of this philosophy.

But the point remains

Aug 18, 2013, 9:22 PM

The number of possessions is really the only stat which can be affected by choosing to take the ball first in the first or second halves, and even then it really typically breaks even (or is slightly possibly to the advantage of the team who gets the ball to start the second half).

I agree he likes to run an uptempo fast paced offense. But the number of snaps isn't based on getting the ball to start the first or second halves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you want to be on defense? What is the objective on D?

Aug 18, 2013, 9:36 PM

I've always thought that a 3-and-out leading to a punt or a TO and getting the ball back for the O. If you can get the ball to start with, why not? Assuming they kick it into the end zone and you get the ball at the 25 to start, even if you don't gain any yards (highly improbable), after a 45 yard punt with no return and they have to start at their 30. Obviously, they could get a better return, but you could, too, on the KO. Even one first down and a no gain punt return and they start inside their 25. Considering our O from last year, I'd take the ball and take our chances.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The point is, that is going to happen

Aug 18, 2013, 9:43 PM

Either to start the first or second halves.

There is certainly some strategic thought to taking the ball first (primarily momentum), but there is likewise an argument for taking it to begin second half (chance of 2 meaningful possessions in a row, to regain ground, etc).

But, whether you take it in the first or second may effect number of possessions, but not how well you do in each possession, which was what the post I responded to was saying.

Take the ball; start wearing them down early and often.***

Aug 18, 2013, 8:46 PM

Kick the ball to them

Aug 18, 2013, 8:58 PM

Put your faith in the D and make them prove themselves.

Plus, getting the ball to start the second half is always better because you've figured out most of the kinks for both teams, it being the first game. If you are down, it works in your favor. If you are up and score on first possession in the second half it works even more to your favor.

My two cents.

I understand your logic about kinks but considering GA's D

Aug 18, 2013, 9:17 PM

and their apparent inexperience, jumping on them early before they can make adjustments would be great.

Good point. But an inexperienced D probably won't

Aug 18, 2013, 9:22 PM

get it together during the game. If they start being vulnerable to our fast pace, it won't matter when we test them. Boyd and squad will likely be able to figure out the weakness and exploit it at any time. And my personal preference is always to get the ball in the second half to set the final tone. Just my preference.

Aug 18, 2013, 9:00 PM

I want the ball!!! Kick me the ball!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2013, 9:05 PM

Defer ... smart money defers

Aug 18, 2013, 9:06 PM

Would like him to defer but he will take the ball

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could be wrong, but I believe Dabo always receives. 95%

Aug 18, 2013, 9:19 PM

of the time at least.

Choosing to receive worked against us more times than

Aug 18, 2013, 9:27 PM

for us last year, and was a total disaster against LSU. It also sends a negative message to our defense. Please defer, Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I know is

Aug 18, 2013, 10:11 PM

If they get the ball first 3 and out, but if the Tigers do a 75 yard TD drive would be nice. That's all

Take the ball. It will give us the firs chance to score

Aug 18, 2013, 10:34 PM

first. Their DB's will be nervous to start the game. I don't think they will press Sammy or Martavis or Peake. Get a couple of first downs and go for broke. Whoever gets the lead in this game will have a bid advantage IMHO.

We pretty much always take the ball if we win the toss***

Aug 19, 2013, 12:08 AM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,712
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic