Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do you say to Veterans on Veterans Day?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 549

What do you say to Veterans on Veterans Day?

Nov 11, 2019, 8:40 AM

I've got them all around me at work.

And thanks to all of you Veterans in the lunge or lurking.

Wait, did I just answer my own question?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great question. I am not a veteran, but still want to thank

Nov 11, 2019, 9:07 AM

them all.

Please, if you are a veteran, chime in with your opinion and, if comfortable, your years of service, which branch, and anything else that you feel sharing.

A sincere thanks and multiple TU's to follow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've always thought "Happy Veteran's Day" was weird,

Nov 11, 2019, 9:19 AM

so I say "Season's Greetings!". If they look confused, I go "you know, Veteran season", then they smile and nod approvingly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a vet it is awkward sometimes

Nov 11, 2019, 9:21 AM

but if you say "thanks for your service" people will gladly accept it. But don't necessarily expect "thank you" as a response. And they aren't trying to be rude or disrespectful. It's one of those things that is weird to be thanked for since it was a decision we made. They will probably respond with something like, "it was my honor", etc. That's just my opinion and how I respond.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for your service!***

Nov 11, 2019, 9:25 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^This^^

Nov 11, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to As a vet it is awkward sometimes ]

I was trying to think of the right way to reply. You nailed it.

thanks for your service indeed.

Nov 11, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to As a vet it is awkward sometimes ]

I've always wondered what it was about military service that made almost every single service member be completely modest and humble about it....it's almost universal, and it's very impressive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thanks for your service indeed.

Nov 11, 2019, 10:02 AM

I think its the fact that you're (veterans) getting thanked for your service when the ones who should really be thanked are the ones who can't be.

They are the ones who truly served and paid the ultimate price. I think the modesty and humility comes from the fact that living veterans consider ourselves the lucky ones.

great insight, thank you.***

Nov 11, 2019, 10:06 AM

Re: As a vet when someone thanks me for my service

Nov 11, 2019, 10:39 AM [ in reply to As a vet it is awkward sometimes ]

I always respond, “Thank you for the giving me the honor of being able to serve my country.” Truth works all the time.

“Let me buy you a beer” or quietly pick up the tab for lunch

Nov 11, 2019, 10:26 AM

Or dinner.

And when there say thanks, a simple “No _ thank you.”

No need to say much more to the veterans I know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I appreciate the sentiment, I really get uncomfortable

Nov 11, 2019, 11:05 AM

with people telling me thanks. Its just weird to me. Its not like I was forced to serve or got drafted or anything...I just signed up because I didn't feel like going to college right after high school.

Whats more awkward is trying to figure how to reply. "You're welcome"? Well, I didn't serve for you, I signed up to wear dress blues, learn how to swear appropriately, and chase all kinds of tail in every port our ship stopped in on deployment. Thanks for thanking me? That seems strange as well. So I generally just smile and nod, because it all seems forced to me.

What really aggravates me are the ####### that hated every minute of their time in the military, couldn't wait to get out from the minute they got to boot camp, were a basic #### stain throughout their enlistment...but by God if they don't get their free appetizer at a resteraunt on November 11, they will go on a social media explosion claiming how their service was taken for granted and how that place must hate America.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, thought I replied to this yesterday......just wanted

Nov 12, 2019, 8:53 AM

to give you my perspective from the other side of the fence.

The way I look at it, I don't care if you joined the military because you had a lifelong dream to defend your country or because you were bored and couldn't think of anything else to do. I don't care if you were slitting throats and dodging bullets while you served or sitting behind a computer terminal ordering office supplies. I don't care if serving was the most meaningful time of your life or something that you hated every minute.

What I do care about is that the minute you signed up, you made an agreement that you could and would die for a perfect stranger if called upon to do so, even if you disagreed with the reasons why. That's something, IMHO, that really no civilian can lay claim to and I think it's the main reason police, fire, and military are rightfully afforded the respect you are. That's huge.

As for your last part....I agree, and that seems to be why Daniel Rodriguez was rubbing a lot of vets the wrong way towards the end of his time at Clemson. For reasons outlined above though, I don't consider myself in a position to judge.

HTH with a little perspective.

grouchingtiger®

I get it, and I don’t take offense to getting thanked.

Nov 12, 2019, 1:34 PM

Just like I don’t take offense if I don’t get thanked. I appreciate the sentiments.

But yeah, that Daniel Rodriguez guy...didn’t know him, but from what I heard, I didn’t want to know him either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a standard line for each one, but add their name at

Nov 12, 2019, 11:54 AM

the end to personalize it.

For you it would be:

"Drop and give me twenty you maggot brain McLovin"

HTH

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 549
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic