Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do you hate most about the holidays?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 585

What do you hate most about the holidays?

Nov 27, 2018, 10:37 AM

I seem to always forget about a few things I hate when I'm gearing up to get grumpy AF for the next 6 weeks.

Christmas music and movies are always a given, but I always seem to forget about the never ending begging that goes on during this time of year. Everyone seems to want someone else to take part in the giving aspect of Christmas.

I've got a bunch of people begging people to give to charities on their behalf, which is one of the more absurd trends I think I've seen. They feel like they're taking part in some sort of righteous cause by harassing friends and family into donating toward one of their charities. If I were inclined to give to said charity, why would I go through a 3rd party? Why not give the money directly to them?

And I know some of it is "in lieu of gifts please donate to such and such", but let's be real here, the people doing this kind of thing have everything they want anyway, this sort of stuff is nothing more than a virtue signaling attention grab.

AND I DON'T WANT TO BE AXED FOR MONEY EVERYTIME I SO MUCH AS STEP OUT OF MY HOUSE.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Virtue signaling as a whole gets on my nerves year round

Nov 27, 2018, 10:40 AM

We get it, you made a $5 donation to a charity that you feel SO strongly about. Your $5 donation has made a GIANT difference in the world and will be used exactly as intended, im sure!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Samsies, then you get the people who post downer shid

Nov 27, 2018, 10:47 AM

like "As you're having your thanksgiving turkey please remember the Nigerian midgets who were pushed out of their homeland by AIDS" or some variation of that. Thanks for the reminder about all the suffering in the world Tyffney, but we still remember you banging every guy with a pulse in high school and know you abuse your nursing position to steal oxy's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey I know her too!***

Nov 27, 2018, 10:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: What do you hate most about the holidays?

Nov 27, 2018, 10:41 AM

bigthumpmagee

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there are more things I like, not much I hate

Nov 27, 2018, 10:44 AM

Traffic kinda sucks b/c of proximity to mall, but also people can't drive in the dark on 85 or anytime near sunset.

85 will be brutal the rest of the year going home

Nov 27, 2018, 10:48 AM

I'm glad the children aren't standing in the dark at bus stops, but it's probably going to suck more when their parents die in a wreck because the sun is directly in their eyes on the way home.

I hate dodging the bell ringers.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:46 AM

Worse than fending off girl scout cookie sellers and their alpha moms at Home Depot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, it just puts me in a bad mood

Nov 27, 2018, 10:50 AM

They're like the guy you never want to go downtown with because you know he only brought $10 is and is going to try to bum beer off of you all night.

The worst ones are the unmotivated ones......they

Nov 27, 2018, 10:55 AM

sort of stand their in stone-faced silence, lamely ringing the bell arhythmically and staring at their shoes.

Look man, if you want to get a sawbuck off me, I'm gonna need to be addressed as "sir" with a smile, and at a minimum, a "Merry Christmas" or "Have a Blessed Day".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*there***

Nov 27, 2018, 10:56 AM

I kind of prefer those, psychologically I don't feel as

Nov 27, 2018, 11:06 AM [ in reply to The worst ones are the unmotivated ones......they ]

obligated to give them anything due to their poor attitude.

show them yo debit card and shrug.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:09 AM [ in reply to I hate dodging the bell ringers. ]

or ask them if they can break a hundred.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've found a workaround for that strategy

Nov 27, 2018, 11:13 AM

That little square card reader that plugs into your phone. Noticed all of the people peddling garbage in the name of charity at Clemson games have them now.

I don't think the bell ringers have those yet.***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

decorations up before December 1 and after Jan 1

Nov 27, 2018, 10:46 AM

could it be possible to keep Christmas limited to just ONE month? Christmas has progressively expanded to nearly a quarter-year event.

And yeah, I second the bell ringers at every store entrance, and cashiers loudly panhandling me for an extra buck at the register.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we set our up the day after Thanksgiving, take down the day

Nov 27, 2018, 11:07 AM

after Christmas.

I'm mainly speaking of public city displays

and storefronts, not so much personal property.

Like the small towns that still have the courthouse tree, and lighted stars and tinsel on the Main Street telephone poles in early February.

Though the neighborhoods with the dozen-or-so inflatable Disney characters and snowmen still littering the yards on MLK weekend TEMPT ME AND MY POCKET KNIFE SOOOOOOOO MUCH.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feel like there be a weird paradox

Nov 27, 2018, 10:47 AM

if you in a relationship, girl is stressed and doesn't give it up.

if you is single, girls get stressed and want to bone real rough.

Mackey must be drowning right now.

Having to say "Hope you had a great <insert holiday>" in

Nov 27, 2018, 10:49 AM

emails, on phone calls, and in person, then listening to how their holiday was "not too bad" then hear them recount their 2 hour drive up 77 and how they made "good time"

Ate too much LOL! Just trying to get back into the swing of

Nov 27, 2018, 10:51 AM

things now!

Hahaha I know what you mean. I spent enough on

Nov 27, 2018, 11:04 AM

Braylon and Kaiden that I'm in debt now lol but anything for my babies. I can't say no to those sweet boys!

Miss your face!!!

Ohh, we're trying to raise our children to not put so much

Nov 27, 2018, 11:08 AM

value in material things, and instead be empathetic to those less fortunate than them. But sounds like you guys had a great Christmas! Miss you too, let's do lunch once the kids go back!

Ashleigh is the worst.***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:23 AM

I hate people who drive 2 hrs on 77 and never have to go

Nov 27, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Having to say "Hope you had a great <insert holiday>" in ]

between Charlotte and Mooresville.

getting fat***

Nov 27, 2018, 10:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having the stores put up decorations in September***

Nov 27, 2018, 10:53 AM

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Mr Hankey, the Christmas Pickle

Nov 27, 2018, 11:03 AM

Nov 27, 2018, 11:04 AM

The seemingly continuous flow of money from my

Nov 27, 2018, 11:08 AM

bank account into store accounts. That pisses me off the most.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the way our society has been duped into this mess.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:13 AM

Take a perfectly nice holiday, commercialize it and extend it to start Nov 1, and then commercialize it some more. Does the world really need year-round Christmas stores at the beach?

Honestly, trying to get caught up at work.

Doing payroll, almost a non issue. Now that I am in some team environment where we don't control the work flow, it is miserable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

Missing my parents and my estranged sister. I havent had contact with her in a very long time, is what it is, but stinks that I basically have no where to go for Holidays like I did for 30+ years. However, my family and my home is the new tradition and I like it that way now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's tough man, sorry to hear.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:21 AM

Asking for a friend, but how did you manage to make this happen? This is kind of the direction I'd like to go with some of my family, but it's a delicate subject with the wife since they aren't my blood relatives.

Re: That's tough man, sorry to hear.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:45 AM

Well, my inlaws are a HUGE family. My MIL had 6 brothers and 2 sisters and everyone lives here in the Metro area. My MIL/FIL live within 2 miles of us, so that is how I get away with it all. However, I am SUPER lucky as they are awesome people and stay out of our way. The take care of the kids a ton, so Holidays are super easy. Just my situation back in NC is super shady and weird.

I get you though, having to deal with the distant relatives (which isnt a problem even here in MI) is awkward at best and then all the sudden I am drunk and talking to the hottie who came with my 3rd cousin who is like 22.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not getting to hear Willie's "Pretty Paper" enough.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:19 AM

and I'm not linking it now, it's still November.

Did you read the fiction book based off where

Nov 27, 2018, 11:24 AM

that song came from?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no. clifs?***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:33 AM

Well ya see

Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 AM

There's this book, I believe it's a fiction book. Willie based a song on it. The song is called 'Pretty Paper.'

The End.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: no. clifs?***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to no. clifs?*** ]

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29430048-pretty-paper

Decorating

Nov 27, 2018, 11:31 AM

anything that has to do with me putting/taking down decorations.

F That Noise

Packing on the pounds.***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Besides them being pagan?***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know, right? Saturnalia, Druid tree worship...***

Nov 27, 2018, 12:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 585
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic