Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Becoming clear that Offense will be a problem @ start of yr
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Becoming clear that Offense will be a problem @ start of yr

Aug 16, 2017, 7:36 AM

I firmly believe we'll eventually get it together as the year progresses, but it likely won't be pretty to start the year. It never good to hear stuff like "they gave in today" and the coach blatantly questioning the entire Offense's mental toughness. I'm sure some of it has to do with it being the "dog days" of camp, but the things he mentioned were the biggest concerns with the offense: What are we going to do when things get hard? They'll be 3 or 4 games this year when the Defense just won't have it and the offense struggles out of the gate. Who's going to get us out of the rut? What likely happens is Dabo looks for a spark off the bench in one of the 3 QBs until hopefully 1 guy emerges.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Becoming clear that Offense will be a problem @ start of yr

Aug 16, 2017, 7:42 AM

becoming clear to you does not mean it will happen. after seeing the scrimmage saturday it became clear to me, which means zero, that our o will be just fine. different but fine. it will take us longer to score this year because it appears we will be more of a running team. i dont see us averaging 40 a game like last year, maybe low 30's for that reason. but after seeing our d perform we should not have to score many points. our d is loooooooooooaded with talent from top to bottom. last i checked it dont matter how you win. just win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2017, 8:28 AM

Hood put out a story the other day that reported what people who actually saw the scrimmage had to say. Thank you sir. I don't know why people are losing their minds over a preseason scrimmage that they never saw. I didn't see it either but I hold the firm belief that our defense is going to give everybody fits this year. Good offenses are going to look bad at times against our D. If anyone on this board doesn't believe we have talent on the offense they are not paying attention. We're in much better shape than 2014. I don't know exactly how good the O will be but I'm not going write them off because our defense is getting the best of them. I do know this: they will not look like the 2014 Stoudt led offense. We have a major upgrade in overall talent on that side of the ball since then.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did it seem like we were still going after tempo?

Aug 16, 2017, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Becoming clear that Offense will be a problem @ start of yr ]

If we're going to be a running team that grinds it out, I'd want us to slow down and keep our defense off the field as long as possible.

Re: Did it seem like we were still going after tempo?

Aug 16, 2017, 10:03 AM

I understand your thought process, but why would we change our offensive philosophy that just wore down the best defense in the history of football to win a national championship?

Continuous improvement. Never be complacent.***

Aug 16, 2017, 11:07 AM

Dabo has said many times that we won't be changing ...

Aug 16, 2017, 12:48 PM

... our overall philosophy.

Our offense has an identity developed over several years and several quarterbacks.

I hope that we stick with the philosophy and identity that got us to this point and that we don't try to adapt our offense to specific personnel with certain skill sets.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Run heavy offense for Clemson =

Aug 16, 2017, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Becoming clear that Offense will be a problem @ start of yr ]

Yuck.

Sorry, but I will go on the record saying our success or downfall will be predicated on our passing strength. That means K. Bryant's experience and talent will shine (or it won't). I trust we can scrape by some wins with a run heavy offense, but I haven't seen that work well at Clemson in the past 20 yrs. I trust Dabo and Co. know what to do and I'm going to pocket these opinions until I see some live play. -- I also think we have to remember our offense goes against one of the best defenses in the country everyday in practice and I'm sure it will help us prepare for many opponents.

Aug 16, 2017, 7:43 AM

Maybe but I would not put much in comments after one practice. Coaches use the media to motivate and also throw opponents off track. While I doubt we will be a scoring machine at the beginning of the year I expect our O to be efficient. Expect a lot of run and short screen type passes.

Kent St ain't skeered, can't throw them off!***

Aug 16, 2017, 8:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be the defense is so good they are demoralizing the O***

Aug 16, 2017, 7:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Could be the defense is so good they are demoralizing the O***

Aug 16, 2017, 7:47 AM

the d is very good.

^^^this guy knows good d when he sees it***

Aug 16, 2017, 7:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

thats what she said

Aug 16, 2017, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Could be the defense is so good they are demoralizing the O*** ]

You an alpha delta pi?***

Aug 16, 2017, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Could be the defense is so good they are demoralizing the O*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Aug 16, 2017, 7:46 AM

Have to disagree a little. It's why they practice and they are practicing daily against the best. Four and five star players are on the offense and the staff will coach them up and be ready for the season. You don't KNOW the offense will struggle, you don't KNOW the defense will take off 3-4 games. It's all assumptions. I believe Dabo is using coachspeak to throw off the media, other teams, and while every team goes through baby steps leading up to the season, I don't think it's as bleak as some of you think. I'll wait and see how the two connect when the season starts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2017, 8:15 AM

I believe in our coaches, they have recruited the players they wanted to build a winning culture at Clemson. I believe their record speaks for itself with consecutive 10 win seasons. They have four OB's they can win with and will choose the right one. Our offense will be the Clemson offense that will in between 90&100 plays a game and will average 35-40/game because that is what we have done since "the Chad"

Man these coaches are known for poor mouthing it

Aug 16, 2017, 8:18 AM

Dado and especially Venables is never happy with any performance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2017, 8:20 AM

Since I'm not watching the practices, I find it to be as clear as MUD.

Aug 16, 2017, 8:24 AM

This is the proverbial coach speak from Dabo. He says they struggled and challenges them. Then in the next couple of days we'll hear how KB really threw well and the offense won the day and he was impressed with how they responded.

Just a FYI. We didn't exactly set the world on fire at the beginning of last year on offense. We'll be fine and there's no need to worry until we have actual game evidence that the offense is struggling

Aug 16, 2017, 9:51 AM

People tend to have such short memories when it comes to things like how much one of the best if not the best offense we've ever had started the season very sluggish.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You forgot to say

Aug 16, 2017, 8:35 AM

THE SKY IS FALLING and WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

"We Quit"!

Aug 16, 2017, 8:49 AM

Bentley & Coot Team

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Becoming clear that Offense will be a problem @ start of yr***

Aug 16, 2017, 8:50 AM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

mmm kay

Aug 16, 2017, 9:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6lTWoZ6i3A

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

listen up

Aug 16, 2017, 9:42 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

What did he say?***

Aug 16, 2017, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: What did he say?***

Aug 16, 2017, 10:10 AM

Turn the volume up.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I think it was "tear the front day"***

Aug 16, 2017, 10:18 AM [ in reply to What did he say?*** ]

Re: I think it was "hear the Funkaaay"

Aug 16, 2017, 11:11 AM

While playing the air keyboard

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just coach-speak for

Aug 16, 2017, 9:59 AM

"These guys better stop believing their own press. They still have go out and play to win. Don't want them going through the motions like they did at the beginning of last season. Gotta whip 'em into shape."

I know I felt much more comfortable last fall when the

Aug 16, 2017, 10:07 AM

coaches kept saying "this team will win it all, no question".

This is a major concern.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I know I felbyt much more comfortable last fall when the

Aug 16, 2017, 11:39 AM

Nice to see u back fm +1

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Aug 16, 2017, 10:20 AM

You're reading waaaaaaay too much into Dabo's comments. When he wants his team (or any part of it), he publicly states he's "disappointed" in them. That's about as negative as he gets, and you can be certain it grabs their attention. They will come back the next time motivated and fired up to keep him from being disappointed again.

It is probably true that the offense is being pushed around by the defense right now, but just LOOK at our defense. They could push around anyone.

Aug 17, 2017, 7:58 AM

*"when he wants his team (or any part of it) to step up," that should say

Pecisely why we should have hired Lane Kiffin when we had ..

Aug 16, 2017, 11:18 AM

a chance.

Aug 16, 2017, 11:24 AM

Sure that's to be expected. But as you remember LAST YEAR, our offense struggled at the beginning of the year with college great DW4. Luckily the game is won at both sides of the ball.

Once the season starts

Aug 16, 2017, 11:25 AM

They won't be facing such a great defense. They should have more success against Kent St than our guys.

hth.

Understandable. It was an issue last year at the beginning.***

Aug 16, 2017, 11:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Understandable. It was an issue last year at the beginning.***

Aug 16, 2017, 11:47 AM

Not really an issue. The staff tried to run DW less, in order to try and protect him for the harder games. He threw 7 INTS in the first 4 games (not counting none in a 59-0 win against SCState). So, without those, and a few fumbles against NCState and Louisville, there isn't issue. DW made those mistakes, maybe Bryant/Johnson won't make the same mistakes. Last year was last year, Clemson won it all albeit despite having a -1 in the turnover margin. Clemson's defense was outstanding in the TFL category, and ranked 10th with 49 total sacks. I expect more of the same from the defense and hopefully, fewer turnovers from the offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were pretty sluggish against Auburn and Troy.

Aug 16, 2017, 12:51 PM

Ray Ray's fumble at the goal line killed us against Troy though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2017, 11:51 AM

I thought Jakey and the cawks were going to be unstoppable this year.

Aug 16, 2017, 11:53 AM

I agree , our offense WILL be a problem for opposing defenses .
The rest is just Calgon and some candles .

DB23

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic