Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need some good advice on Anti-virus and spyware
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Need some good advice on Anti-virus and spyware

Feb 26, 2015, 10:06 AM

What is a good free download to provide this. McAfee just costs too much for this old geezer.

What say ye, Gurus of TNet????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need some good advice on Anti-virus and spyware

Feb 26, 2015, 10:07 AM

I use AVG and haven't had a problem

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 26, 2015, 10:14 AM

AVG is not a bad choice but has slowly declined compared to other options.

Malwarebytes is still the best in my book.

null

Feb 26, 2015, 10:07 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials
SuperAntiSpyware

'nough said

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2015, 10:11 AM

Avast Anti-Virus is a really good one:
https://www.avast.com/en-au/index

Also allows for a boot-time scan you can do, which can catch viruses lingering that you can't get when on Windows. Updates frequently, and has caught things for me that even Malwarebytes didn't catch.

Feb 26, 2015, 10:15 AM

I use Bitdefender.

Feb 27, 2015, 12:11 AM

My PC was corrupted by the thousands with bitdefender

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

NEVER pay for that crap. Microsoft Security Essentials.***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: NEVER pay for that crap. Microsoft Security Essentials.***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:40 AM

Every AV I've ever paid for back when I was stupid screwed up my 'puter worse than a virus.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NEVER pay for that crap. Microsoft Security Essentials.***

Feb 27, 2015, 8:40 AM

Norton and McAfee are harder to get rid of than Comcast.

null

Thanks to all!!!! You can always depend on you TNet friends

Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 AM

. Appreciate the recommendations. Will investigate them.

Speaking of depends, how's hartins been lately?

What all the cool kids are doing these days...

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM

For cleaning up Malware use:
MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

For antivirus, use:
Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Make sure to check for updates before scanning.

If you have a current problem...
- install MalwareBytes first
- remove any junky antivirus you have
- install antivirus (MSSE, Avast, BitDefender, are all good)
- run CCleaner to fix registry (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)

Be very careful cleaning your registry with ccleaner.

Mar 14, 2015, 9:45 PM

Quick way to borq your os.

Get a mac.***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

I love this attitude. Makes me glad virus creaters are

Feb 26, 2015, 10:27 AM

actually writing viruses for OSx because of the hubris attitude.

The reason virsuses are so rare for macs is because there are billions of Windows machines and millions of Mac machines in this world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the reason there aren't viruses for Mac is because Apple

Mar 14, 2015, 8:57 AM

designed a platform that isn't open to any 14 year-old wanting to make mischief. Do you know what a registry is? Can you explain why one is needed? Neither can Microsoft.

Ad-Aware works for me, I like it better than AVG and

Mar 14, 2015, 9:03 AM

have used both, but not a techy. Agree Macafee is too expensive.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't fall for that lie........

Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Get a mac.*** ]

....that Macs can't get a virus. It is just most of the bad guys right viruses for Windows since it is the predominant number of machines. Example one wrecked MacBook Pro my son owned. We learned the hard way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

I've owned a macbook pro for going on about 8 months

Mar 14, 2015, 9:02 AM

now. I've never encountered a virus. I've never had Apple tell me I needed to download some anti-virus remedy. Why? Because Apple doesn't run Java, for one thing. Apple doesn't have a registry. Apple doesn't leave it's operating system open to hundreds of thousands of developers and programmers. There are lots of things I don't love about Apple. Mainly, the fact that basically everything on this laptop is glued together so I can't upgrade the system without pulling out all the guts. The flipside is that Apple uses much better components than Dell, for instance, so there's a reasonable chance that, unlike my last Dell laptop, I'm not going to discover that they mucked up the BIOS and that I need to buy a new processor because Dell's s****y BIOS fried the last one.

The thing I find revealing is

Mar 14, 2015, 9:20 AM

I have never met anyone that has went from PC to Mac back to PC.

The argument is always, well you do not know enough about computers.... Well, it is kind of the point of why Mac is much more user friendly. If I have to have a software engineering degree to make my machine efficient, then it probably is not the best machine for me.

There is an interview with 25 year old Steve Jobs from 1980, and he was working on ways to mitigate this problem then, but I guess PC people just never got the whole purpose of a user-friendly computer is so you do not have to have some kind of technology degree to make it work.

https://youtu.be/0lvMgMrNDlg?t=9m

IMO, people that should buy PC over Mac:

1) Those that know a lot about computers that can constantly tweak them to keep them efficient
2) Gamers

Now you have. We own 4 Macbooks and one iMac. They are

Mar 14, 2015, 7:59 PM

great, but I also own PCs too. The most amazing computer I ever bought was my $300 Lenovo laptop (2011). Three years old, no problems, nice screen and number pad in the keyboard. I bought it because my Macbook would not log into the work server, but it works great. I don't how they sold it for $300, but the Macbooks were $1300.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a Happy Meal if you want a toy***

Feb 27, 2015, 1:36 AM [ in reply to Get a mac.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought about saying this, but was like, nah, all the Mac

Feb 27, 2015, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Get a mac.*** ]

haters will come out in full force. I was right. I have owned both, and Mac is by far the best investment I have ever made. It feels good not to have to replace my machine every 2 years.

I do have protection on mine though. I run Sophos and it is also free.

"Mac haters"..."investment"...

Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM

LOL

I love when people truly don't know enough about computers.

My custom built desktop from when I was at Clemson 8 years ago still runs better than a MacBook Air you'd buy now.

I can build you an overpriced PC if it will make you feel

Feb 27, 2015, 11:54 AM

better

replied to wrong post***

Feb 27, 2015, 11:55 AM

Difference between Mac people and PC people

Mar 14, 2015, 8:51 AM [ in reply to "Mac haters"..."investment"... ]

Mac people really could not care any less about what kind of computer someone else has.

You have a PC, cool story... I am so happy for you.

Mac people are like snowboard instructors, you don't have to

Mar 14, 2015, 8:01 PM

ask, they'll tell you

Re: I thought about saying this, but was like, nah, all

Feb 27, 2015, 11:56 AM [ in reply to I thought about saying this, but was like, nah, all the Mac ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16926872#16926872

I actually run both now. I bought a Macbook Pro because I

Mar 14, 2015, 9:07 AM [ in reply to I thought about saying this, but was like, nah, all the Mac ]

needed a system that could still run multiple applications at the same time (which kind of ruled out my Ipad Air, in spite of the fact I love that little guy!), and was really light. But I also like to game from time to time, and I'm not buying one of Apple's 6,000 dollar systems with 124 GB of memory and a Petabyte of SSD. Which can't play most games anyway. And which doesn't come with an optical drive.

Re: Get a mac.***

Feb 27, 2015, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Get a mac.*** ]

oh ignorance.

null

Feb 27, 2015, 9:10 AM

Oh mac hater, I wish I were as intelligent, knowledgeable and wise as you. I'll make an ignorant assumption, you prefer android over iOS. And my original post was a joke that never fails to stir up the anti-apple crowd. Mission accomplished.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Feb 27, 2015, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Get a mac.*** ]

Get a Mac and pay an extra $200 just to have an emblem...

Vipre. Works great. Good plans.......

Feb 26, 2015, 10:27 AM

....I have had it for about 4 years. You can get mobile apps for phone and tablet. I have a multiple computer account for kids laptops. Highly recommend it. Found out about it through my computer tech that I buy my machines from.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

AVG is the best by far. Free on line.***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:32 AM

I personally use AVG Free and have had no viruses.

Feb 26, 2015, 10:37 AM

My boss has had one.

I have used AVG Free for over 10+ years.

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: I personally use AVG Free and have had no viruses.

Feb 26, 2015, 10:41 AM

I used to use AVG but it slowed my computer to a halt.

AVG.***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2015, 10:55 AM

I had my computer built by a local computer firm. They recommended Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes. You can use the two together because Malwarebytes runs in the background. Both are free. They REALLY didn't like AVG and Avast for some reason. I recently went with ATT Uverse, and you get Norton for free. I installed it, but I ended getting so #### many warnings and crashes that I uninstalled it and went back to MSE.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2015, 10:57 AM

Norton is worse than I virus. I'd turn off all AV before I'll ever install Norton again.

I HATE Norton AV!***

Feb 26, 2015, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Need some good advice on Anti-virus and spyware ]

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

stop surfing midget pron. hths***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 AM

Consumer Reports used to rate AVG as the best freeware, so I used it. The most recent report I have seen rated Avira as the best, so I switched. Both seem to have met my needs. I also use MalewareBytes and occasionally scan with Adaware.

Feb 26, 2015, 11:35 AM

Here's what I do to help people with malware problems. They can run Avast Free for their antivirus needs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free can be run to scan and clean the spyware and ad-ware that Avast doesn't handle. I also throw in scans with AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool. You can get those two from the Downloads tab at BleepingComputer.com

Do you really need a computer? If u can get by with a tablet

Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM

then get an iPad and don't worry about viruses. Seriously, if all you are doing is surfing, email, some photo editing, and a little bit of Microsoft Office stuff then get a tablet and live blissfully!

Hey can you pop in this USB and check out my paper

Feb 26, 2015, 11:59 AM

oh wait....

oops....maybe you do need a computer afterall***

Feb 27, 2015, 1:41 AM

Oh God, what a horrible idea***

Feb 27, 2015, 1:37 AM [ in reply to Do you really need a computer? If u can get by with a tablet ]

Re: Do you really need a computer? If u can get by with a tablet

Feb 27, 2015, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Do you really need a computer? If u can get by with a tablet ]

lol iToys are adorable.

null

Feb 26, 2015, 11:59 AM

I wouldn't use Norton or McAfee if they gave them away for free. Kaspersky is the best, but it isn't free. I use Avast free right now, but I have used AVG and thought it was okay.

kapersky

Feb 27, 2015, 8:49 AM

It just depends on how interested you are in letting the Russians having access to your computer. Personally I will never use Kapersky.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty much a front for the Russian gov't...couldn't pay me

Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM

to use their crap

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McAfee came free when I started using

Feb 26, 2015, 12:12 PM

ATT Uverse, but when a I a little work done recently at a shop in Anderson. they installed Malwarebytes free for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2015, 8:59 AM

Norton and McAfee generally do more harm to your computer than good.

Go to kicka s s.to

Mar 14, 2015, 7:42 PM

leave out the spaces in kickazz.

Download CCcleaner, spybot and malwarebytes. Read the instructions before activating them. The programs take a long time to run but they'll clean your HHD out as well as anything I've found.

Run CCcleaner every now and again and it will keep your computer clean.

Remember, nothing beats your caution in clicking on links that are strange.

#don'tdopron

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go to kicka s s.to

Mar 14, 2015, 8:07 PM

I'm not familiar with Spybot, but those other 2 are what I use. Avast does a good job of finding what the other 2 can't, as well.

Microsoft Security Essentials is great for viruses, but won't remove "crapware', which to me functions exactly the same way as malware but the signature comes from a "real" company.

Chrome linkjacking is another issue that none of these will help.

I had a double click bug last year.

Mar 16, 2015, 3:23 PM

I'd click on a link and it would open two windows. One that I wanted and another designed to furnish hits to another website.

I ran Spybot, Malwarebytes and CCcleaner and can't honestly say which one got rid of the bug but a regular cleaning, once a month, has kept me running smoother than exlax.

I've found some of the programs designed to keep a HDD clean actually contaminate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I had a double click bug last year.

Mar 16, 2015, 4:48 PM

For sure, the double-click thing is probably the same thing I'm referring to. Only happened in Google Chrome, though. The software was able to burrow its way into the root Local settings for Chrome and it took a lot of registry checking, deleting, uninstalling, etc. to finally get rid of it.

We're not networked and use the cloud for everything. As a proactive measure, I've got everyone in the office using using ScriptSafe. It's annoying for a while but once you whilelist the sites/CDNs that you visit on the reg, makes it a lot harder for the rats to build their nest.

I use comodo free security suite, run malwarebytes every

Mar 14, 2015, 10:01 PM

once in a while, ccleaner and defraggler, and eset online scanner on occasion. Tread carefully with the registry cleaning- have seen many restore to factory defaults because of the registry cleaning.

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ no need to opt for the premium trial during install since the on-demand free scan is the same

http://www.piriform.com/ ccleaner and defraggler are great utilities. Speccy is nifty as well...

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

all r free products. Had posted before about norton and mcafee being a liability using their products. Even the paid vers.

Earlier posts: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16705492#16705492

Comodo is my choice. I like it

Mar 16, 2015, 5:43 PM

Nm

Kaspersky ... all you need for total internet security.

Mar 16, 2015, 6:25 PM

That's what I use.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kaspersky ... all you need for total internet security.

Mar 16, 2015, 10:27 PM

It's too late , you're already eat up with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Kaspersky ... all you need for total internet security.

Mar 16, 2015, 10:36 PM

I suggest lighter fluid and a burn barrel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic