Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What age do kids start to enjoy an entire game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

What age do kids start to enjoy an entire game?

Jun 28, 2019, 7:21 PM

Before you say "any age," I'm not talking about going and leaving after 30 minutes. I have a 3 year old and I took her to the spring game. We almost made it to halftime. We were all hot and the only thing she was interested in was watching them run down the hill and eating frozen lemonade. Lol.

I'm asking more about what's the youngest they will actually enjoy the game?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read the manual before coming here?

Jun 28, 2019, 7:23 PM

Cliche, but every one is different; you'll know when they know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What age do kids start to enjoy an entire game?

Jun 28, 2019, 7:24 PM

For me, as I child I loved going to the games so I could slide down the hill during the games. I doubt I actually enjoyed a whole game until I was 9ish.

I like frozen lemonade too. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of the ones I grew up with were in their 50,s, but

Jun 28, 2019, 7:35 PM

they were Coots...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2019, 7:46 PM

I started taking my son when he was three and we always made it through the whole game. Actual games are a-lot more interesting for kids due to the bands, halftime show, cheerleaders, There is just a whole lot more to see and keep them entertained at an actual game, especially in the fall when temps are more moderate. When he was younger he would sometimes fall asleep and be jolted awake when the cannon would fire after a TD. Good memories! We also always stayed after the game and went down on the field. I guess I did a good job indoctrinating him as he is now a junior at Clemson. We still go down on the field after the games and meet up with him after the students gather at the paw. It’s never to early to start your family traditions.

Jun 28, 2019, 8:01 PM

That makes sense. A lot more going on when it's a real game for sure. I think I'll try a less expensive game this year and just see how it goes.

Jun 28, 2019, 11:03 PM

Somewhere between the age where she discovered Dippin Dots in the stadium and when she discovered Starbucks in the library...

Jun 29, 2019, 1:20 PM

That's hilarious!

Speaking of coffee... when are they going to make a freaking cup of coffee available

Jun 29, 2019, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Re: What age do kids start to enjoy an entire game? ]

For these cold winter games? Not hot choclate but coffee? I’d pay $5 for a large coffee at a night game in November. But my lord how behind the times are our concessions

Jun 29, 2019, 1:48 AM

In all honesty it depends on the child. I am a Clemson Football fanatic. I love attending the games. After purchasing four season tickets for years, I finally dropped back to two tickets. Mine were miserable in the stadium. They inherited their dad’s genetics of preferring to watch from home.

my experience matches yours

Jun 29, 2019, 2:17 AM

back in the day we used to sit on the little hill next the west end zone my kids would play on the hill and I'd watch the game. They started to pay more attention maybe 10 or 12 years old. Then high school came and they only wanted to go to a couple games a year. We have a 5-6 hour drive on gameday so its usually a 2 day trip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2019, 6:23 AM

Maybe the question should be what age is the kid when the people around them can enjoy the whole game?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As in most things

Jun 29, 2019, 11:52 AM

it depends on the kid.

Re: As in most things

Jul 1, 2019, 7:34 AM

It really does depend on the kid. One nephew was all in by age 5, another around 8, and my daughter was 12 or 13 before she really got into the game.

I can tell you what i enjoy?

Jun 29, 2019, 1:26 PM

your child not kicking the back of my seat.. or screaming shrilly in my ear. Almost makes me spill the liquor i sneak in. :(

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

~30.***

Jun 29, 2019, 3:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7 is usually the age when kids brains start

Jun 29, 2019, 3:29 PM

To be able to perceive things outside of themselves and function more like an adult brain. So around that age is if the kid enjoys it. Think back to your earliest memories in life, most come from age of 7 or 8 or so. I know my very first sports memories are from the 1998 year when I was 7. That age is a big jump in brain progression

Jun 29, 2019, 7:00 PM

Really depends on the kid.

They need to be old enough to understand what is going on, but also possess an interest in the sport.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jun 29, 2019, 7:18 PM

I learned that lesson the hard way. My son loves baseball since he started playing when he was 5. When he was about 9, I took him to a White Sox in Chicago. They were down by 6 starting the top of the 9th so I said let's go. He was a little upset but didn't have a fit. By the time we walked to the car and got on the interstate, the Sox had come back and won. That's when he let me have it and I realized how much he was really into the game.

So I'll say any age if they relate to the sport but especially 8 - 10 years old. BTW, we have gone to many baseball, football, basketball and hockey games together since then and haven't left early. That was nearly 30 years ago.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would vary from child to child, but in my expeience, 10

Jun 29, 2019, 9:21 PM

I grew up following Clemson football, and I went to all the games, but before the age it of 10, I was mainly there to slide down the hill on cardboard and play our own games with a tiny football or a added up bunch of paper cups.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2019, 7:42 AM

My son (4) varies and it is more dependent on the mascot. If he high-fives the tiger, he is done and ready to go home. That is his whole motivation. If no tiger high-five, then the world ends. So I am running that risk of getting that high-five early or days of sadness. My daughter is 1 and has a bit more patience. They lose patience before they gain it IMO.

If actually paying attention (which is more akin to stalking the mascot and some game):

Football - A bit just before halftime. Really heat/cold dependent. Gets hot/cold and cranky. Can't blaming him.
Basketball. Just after halftime. Sometimes he can make a whole game but needs a run at halftime.
Baseball - less than one inning. Warm-up are interesting.
Soccer - I have never done a game without him also having a playmate to run around with.... he will watch it on TV for about 20 minutes with a snack.

Jul 1, 2019, 7:53 AM

My kid sat through a whole game for the first time when he was 5. He was asking to leave pretty much immediately for the games I took him to when he was 3 and 4.

Me personally, I didn't sit through and enjoy a game until I was 8.

Jul 1, 2019, 7:57 AM

12?

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic