Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right

Dec 13, 2015, 9:47 AM

The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right

It would be easy to say that the Heisman voters “got it wrong” in picking Alabama’s Derrick Henry as the 2015 Heisman winner Saturday in New York City, but that wouldn’t tell the whole story. They were misinformed. It happens, especially when you have the SEC spin machine of ESPN. But it’s ok. (Brad Penner / USATODAY) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So my girlfriend says

Dec 13, 2015, 9:56 AM

"What do you think Watson's feeling right now?"

"He's going to use this as motivation to take us to the national championship and show Alabama who the real Heisman is."

"What do you think Dabo's feeling?"

"That he's going to use this as motivation to take us to the national championship and show Alabama who the real Heisman is..."

"Seriously..."

"I am being serious."

"What do you feel right now?"

"That Watson's going to use this as motivation to take us to the national championship and show Alabama who the real Heisman is...!!??"

Geez...

Re: So my girlfriend says

Dec 13, 2015, 11:16 AM

I LOL'd...great conversation with your girlfriend! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2015, 12:52 PM

Hehe thanks man I thought so too :)

Remember when Vincent Young painted a masterpiece

Dec 13, 2015, 1:10 PM [ in reply to So my girlfriend says ]

winning the NC against USC and Reggie Bush, one of the commentators said during the game he wish he had his Heisman vote back. This will be the same!!!! Roll Tigers! Roll Watson!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2015, 2:07 PM [ in reply to So my girlfriend says ]

Sounds more like a conversation with a wife...not a girlfriend...especially if you're trying to watch a game!!

Would Henry have won if Arkansas hadn't converted 4th & 25

Dec 13, 2015, 10:01 AM

against Ole Miss which could have kept Alaabama
out of the SEC Championship and probably/maybe
the CFP?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is Stanford in the CFP? Did they have 2 losses?

Dec 13, 2015, 10:06 AM

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would Henry have won if Arkansas hadn't converted 4th & 25

Dec 13, 2015, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Would Henry have won if Arkansas hadn't converted 4th & 25 ]

True. Another ? if Deshaun played for Bama and Henry for Clemson and had the same stats would DW win then?? Ofcourse.

Re: Would Henry have won if Arkansas hadn't converted 4th & 25

Dec 13, 2015, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Would Henry have won if Arkansas hadn't converted 4th & 25 ]

Seeing that game unfold I was pissed because I knew that opened the door for bama. Wouldn't that have been great to not even have them in the sec championship. While everyone one was saying there the best team in the country. Dangggit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right

Dec 13, 2015, 10:09 AM

The article mentions that Henry played more games than Herschel Walker did, however it ignores the fact that Henry had fewer carries than Walker did that season. Seems like it's intentionally ignoring that fact.

But the amount of carries for Henry is actually a selling point. In the modern game of football you just don't see many running backs that can handle that workload these days. Everyone is bigger and more physical and you just don't see many bodies holding up to that number of carries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

It seems to me your post is ignoring the fact that

Dec 13, 2015, 10:13 AM

The coots suck.

Remember your place coot. 3-9.
Tigers #1

Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right

Dec 13, 2015, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right ]

And it seems your ignoring the fact that this is TIGERNET! not cootnet! You also ignored the fact that you don't have a dog in the fight! As a matter of fact your dogs can't even hunt! The lamecocks don't go as bama go's. The sooner you figure that out the better. As long as they dominate that weak so called conference of yours the longer the lamecocks will be in the dark.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2015, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right ]

I don't care enough to look up Walker stats, but that would mean HW had around 4-5yds/carry avg...

I would have to think that was close to the top of the rankings in his day. Football is a different game today. Henry avg.ed 5.something yds and wasn't in the top 50 in that category.

I will end this in a question... Where does Walker's season rank in the grand scheme of things?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Herschel Walker averaged 5.2 ypc good for 52nd nationally***

Dec 13, 2015, 11:32 AM

what about for the year he won??? what was is rank in ypc?***

Dec 13, 2015, 7:25 PM

That was the year he won.***

Dec 14, 2015, 2:26 PM

Dec 13, 2015, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right ]

But theoretically Henry wouldn't have played the last two games where he got 80+ of those carries in Walker's day.

It also doesn't mention that Henry is currently 25th in terms of single season rushing NCAA wise, but apparently an SEC record is more meaningful to ESPN.

Finally, do you really think they gave the ball to Henry because he is durable? McCaffrey carried the ball 20 less times, but had 40+ more receptions than Henry plus kick returns which means he technically took more hits than Henry over the course of the season and therefore wouldn't he be more durable?

All in all it doesn't really matter as the Heisman is a publicity thing anyways with voters that are misinformed more often than not.

That was great!!!

Dec 13, 2015, 10:13 AM

I saw the look in his eyes from on TV. He is about to show the College Football world who the real Heisman is and who the best team in the nation is! We will demand respect with the way we play. Go Tigers!!

Re: That was great!!!

Dec 14, 2015, 2:44 PM

I noticed the look on Deshaun's face at the Heisman ceremony and I think you're exactly right!

For the sake of discussion...

Dec 13, 2015, 10:14 AM

your piece here is exactly why Derrick Henry won the award, as most media members took your approach.

You say: I won’t go into details, but it was obvious many of them made their choice because of who was on television the most.

Followed by: If I had a ballot, I would have voted Watson first. And yes, I’m a little biased because I’ve seen the kid lead his team to a 13-0 record.

That's the problem. People only vote for what they see without consideration to the rest.

The most powerful argument for Deshaun is that he is the best player on the best team at the most challenging position. The most powerful argument for Henry is that he broke Herschel's conference rushing record and carried the ball 330+ times. But as much as I love Deshaun and as powerful a back as Henry is, neither of those arguments are as powerful as setting a 27-year-old NCAA career yardage record while scoring TDs five ways from five positions, as McCaffrey did.

Obviously I think the voters got it wrong. But I think the vague message the Heisman trust sends is the cause. "Most outstanding?" That's McCaffrey. "Best?" McCaffrey again. "Most valuable?" Watson, for sure. "Most appealing?" Probably Henry. There are no real guidelines. And because of the trust's muddy nature, voters have no choice but to rely on what they see - and most are going to see Alabama, not Clemson or Stanford.

Moving forward, I'd like to see them clarify their definition and shrink the voter base. But I don't think either of those things will happen.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For the sake of discussion...

Dec 13, 2015, 7:42 PM

The other factor that I would bet played in to a lot of voters Is school recognition. Especially in areas that none of the players are in --Alabama? the dude plays in the SEC must be good. Stanford -Pac-12 power, Clemson in ACC isn't that a basketball conference? Probably played a weak schedule.
Watson finished second in hhis own region? Most of the sportcasters came from USCjr or UNC or UGA. Of course the south region is gonna vote SEC first.

the question I would ask any voter is this:

Dec 13, 2015, 10:16 AM

You are the head coach of a D-1 team. The NCAA tells you that they will grant you special exemption for you to choose, or "draft" one player to come play for your team.

Who do you pick - Henry, Watson, or McCaffrey (or anybody else)?

Your choice, unless you are lying to yourself and everybody else, is your Heisman vote.

Re: the question I would ask any voter is this:

Dec 13, 2015, 3:54 PM

THIS is the only question that a voter should consider. To heck with stats, even though Watson has some incredible stats. Stats never tell the whole story because of differences in competition and how the player is utilized. Stats can be misleading.

But you have it exactly right! If you're a voter, ask yourself if you could pick any player in the country to transfer to your team, who would it be. I don't think Henry would be in the top 5, even though he is heck of a back. He would probably be my 4th running back pick.

The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right

Dec 13, 2015, 10:22 AM

I agree. To many just vote the way they think others are gonna. Instead of doing their home work and making an informed decision. Much like people that have commented on tigernet. The mindless followers of everything ESECPN. Because they are to stupid to have any independent thought. The heisman is for the player that was most valuable to the team they're on. In the pro's its called most valuable player. That is what it was ment for. Without a doubt. He is the most valuable player. Without him we have 3 losses maybe more.
GO TIGERS!!!!!

After watching the 30 for 30....

Dec 13, 2015, 10:39 AM

About the real USC the other day, I recall the part about a great QB feeling snubbed by a bloated running back story. That QB rode that emotion to an awesome championship title.

That was Reggie Bush and Vince Young. I know this isn't the same, and Bush deserved it (we thought then). Not saying Young deserved it more. Just mentioning the emotion it gave him, and where it took him/them.

I like our chances

Go Tigers!

Re: After watching the 30 for 30....

Dec 13, 2015, 11:09 AM

I remember that. And I thought Vince was the reason his team was there. Without him, Texas was good, but not a national championship team. USC was a great team without Bush. The heisman award was created for the most valuable player in college football.I don't think Henry is even the best running back. Dalvin cook is. Henry has better character, that I have no doubt. But bama would be where they are without him. Clemson without Watson would not. And to me , that's the most telling factor of the heisman award. Just like Vince and Bush. They got it wrong. But much like them , I agree that the Tigers will be in championship form when the time comes.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

I had to re-read this line several times:

Dec 13, 2015, 10:53 AM

"especially when you have the SEC spin machine of ESPN."

Dec 13, 2015, 11:03 AM

The Heisman is, was, and always will be a "school" award. It has very little to do with the player himself. America has spoken.

1st - Alabama
2nd - Stanford
3rd - "Clempson"

Sad buy true. So now let's let them found out. 15-0 baby!!!

Dec 13, 2015, 11:27 AM

Tigerram its "Clemson" get it right coot

Dec 13, 2015, 11:30 AM

I hope we meet alabama and there heisman winner in the championship game so shaq and the boys can show him somthing Go Tigers

Dec 13, 2015, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right ]

So since Alabama lost to a crappy Ol Miss team, why didn't Deshaun win?

Dec 13, 2015, 11:53 AM

Let's be optimistic. DW can Still get a shot at more trips to NY and more Heisman wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2015, 11:53 AM

Let's be optimistic. DW can Still get a shot at more trips to NY and more Heisman wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2015, 12:59 PM

I do like your positive take but doubtful. Same outcome, different year.

thanks for sharing

Dec 13, 2015, 11:56 AM

I appreciate your insight and thanks for sharing the details of the last week. Good stuff. As a former sports writer and SID, I enjoy reading these behind the scene type pieces.

I agree with this article. The problem with statistics

Dec 13, 2015, 11:56 AM

is that people use them without context to try and prove things that just aren't true. Henry is a great back, but he's no Herschel. He had 2 entire extra games to get rushing yards!

Anyway, I hope that trip to NY gives Watson some extra fire and determination. I hope he is mad, and stays mad.

Watson would win hands down if modern tech. wi-fi was used

Dec 13, 2015, 11:59 AM

With final vote after interview of the three with highlights on that Heisman program. Watson clearly won the hearts of the majority of the viewers!

So what you are saying is you are just as blinded as...

Dec 13, 2015, 12:44 PM

...the others in media. Keenan Reynolds; I don't know a thing about him but based on your comment I can see you interject too much bias.

Well, Watson and McCafferty are both sophomores whereas Henry is a junior. Only a handful of freshman and sophomores have every won it to there is a trend to award it to more senior players. Watson will get it next year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What? No

Dec 13, 2015, 2:18 PM

about Reynolds, that is

at the end of the day they were wrong..

Dec 13, 2015, 12:53 PM

here is one heisman voter...he voted the guy at lsu in first just so he wouldnt be left out..i mean really

https://twitter.com/rabalaisadv/status/675867504644907008

I read it on the Internet ..... so it must be true

Dec 13, 2015, 2:57 PM

"Don't believe the lie."

Dec 13, 2015, 3:07 PM

Keep in mind that Coach Saban kept Henry in games to pad his stats. In their game against Auburn they kept him in and made sure he got another TD.

Dabo pulled DeShaun in the third quarter of a couple games instead of padding stats. Too bad ESPN never mentioned it at all.

Dec 13, 2015, 4:24 PM

No he didn't. Saban kept Henry in to run out the clock. Their backup RB broke his arm, that's why Henry had 40 yard carries his last 2 games. If they wanted to pad stats they wouldn't have limited his carries vs cupcakes.

Re: So, Alabama only has one running back?

Dec 13, 2015, 7:24 PM

So, Alabama only has two running backs? ..and one has a broken arm.
Hmmmmm...
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2015, 3:25 PM

AMEN !!!!!!! Nice read David Hood **** And mighty ""TRUE""__________GO TIGERS !!!!

Dec 13, 2015, 4:15 PM

POST of the freakin YEAR right there!!

Excellent work David!

Go Tigers!!!

Also, I would posit that at least 35 of the voters

Dec 13, 2015, 4:18 PM

Are suffering some stage of CTE. Not being funny, just saying.

The rest of them are journalists.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Good you don't have a vote. Your vote should be for THIS

Dec 13, 2015, 5:16 PM

year...not for last year or as a lifetime achievement award or because someone plays for a service academy.

Only thing wrong is DW outfit

Dec 13, 2015, 8:46 PM

Given his great personality it just doesn't seem like he would wear that stuff with two gold chains on top of it

Dec 13, 2015, 10:49 PM

I'm sure its been said above but great article! I think you hit the nail on the head! 1. Which team's record changes the most without the guy? Big difference for Clemson and Stanford - virtually no effect for Alabama. And second - which one would you want to build a team with if you had your choice. I don't think its even close!

Dec 14, 2015, 2:38 PM

Or, would Alabama trade Henry for Watson? In a heartbeat. Would Clemson make the same deal? No way.

Dec 16, 2015, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Heisman voters didn't get it wrong, they just didn't get it right ]

! 1. Which team's
> record changes the most without the guy? Big
> difference for Clemson and Stanford - virtually no
> effect for Alabama. And second - which one would you
> want to build a team with if you had your choice. I
> don't think its even close!

I disagree. Alabama without Henry is a 3 loss time this year. Without a solid OL, other RB injured, top WR out for the year, Derrick IS the offense. A huge concern going into the playoffs.
On the other hand, either CMc or DW would be huge building blocks for Bama, Saban wants 5 Star identical process players, OC Lane Kiffin would have a blast plugging those 2 guys into every play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson lost it's #1 WR this year, also... Gallman is as

Dec 16, 2015, 10:59 PM

good a RB as Henry and Watson is 3x the QB as Coker. Pachyderms will be gettin' it 'packed'... Prep.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2015, 12:23 AM

GREAT story David, and you hit the bulls eye on every corner. But will the Heisman trophy mean as much if DW4 leads his team to winning the biggest prize, the national championship trophy. That would mean that DW4 won every title that he was given a chance to compete for!!! The Heisman would stand for what it truly is. The Heisman, a media appointed bull sh!tter award that the media lobbies to the voters for their appointee!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2015, 5:55 AM

David, absolutely one of your very best articles, post, or whatever!!!! Really good read and spot on!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2015, 2:42 PM

After some careful thought and consideration....
They got it wrong. Wrong, WRong, WROng, WRON, WRONG!!!
sorry, lost my cool for a bit.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic