Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: 1989 Clemson/South Carolina: The Orange Britches Make a Road Trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

New Story: 1989 Clemson/South Carolina: The Orange Britches Make a Road Trip

Nov 22, 2016, 7:55 AM

1989 Clemson/South Carolina: The Orange Britches Make a Road Trip

The Clemson football team wore orange pants for last Saturday night’s road game at Wake Forest, and they were allowed to wear the britches because head coach Dabo Swinney wants them worn in championship games. When was the first time the Tigers wore the orange pants on the road? It was in 1989 for the South Carolina game at Williams-Brice Stadium, and it came as a shock and a surprise to the members of the Clemson football team. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: 1989 Clemson/South Carolina: The Orange Britches Make a Road Trip

Nov 22, 2016, 8:44 AM

David and Vance were two of the best ever.

Quick as cats, and no body could push them around.

Great Tigers!!!! :)

Re: New Story: 1989 Clemson/South Carolina: The Orange Britches Make a Road Trip

Nov 22, 2016, 9:21 AM

I was at that game and it was cold, but it was fun!

A great lead-in to one of the best stories ever posted

Nov 22, 2016, 8:45 AM

on Tigernet. With thanks to the dear departed DSP for posting back in 2009. And thanks to Joe Cobb for sharing.

http://clempsonfootball.blogspot.com/2008/11/tnet-post-of-year-award-goes-to.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Nov 22, 2016, 9:11 AM

Man I was at that game. My brother and I set in a very small group of Tiger fans for that game. When the coots started roll out shortly after halftime. This lady stood up and said'" don't let us run you out of your own house like that, but since you are leaving can you run across the road and get me a bucket of fried chicken from bojangles". I still laugh at that one.

Nov 22, 2016, 9:26 AM

This was my favorite Chicken beat-down; the famous Lightning Bolt game. A lot of the coot players had lightning bolts shaved on the side of their heads because they were going to 'light up' Clemson. A shot of the bench late in the game showed a bunch of lighting bolts pointed as the ground as the coots were crying in their towels or just staring in shock (pun intended) at their shoes. It still makes me smile to think of that game.

I Was There...

Feb 13, 2014, 8:24 PM

My first game at Willy B and the scariest. I saw multiple fights ending in the arrest of only the fans in orange. Go Tigers!

First road trip game I made

Nov 22, 2016, 11:47 AM

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) went down. It was freezing cold and we had low end zones seats. I think this is the game where Terry Allen got hurt and got carted off right in front of us but that was the only downer of the night as it was only orange left in the stadium by the end of the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first ever Clemson game...

Nov 22, 2016, 12:04 PM

And what a game. IIRC, the very first offensive play for the coots was a deep ball that was intercepted (maybe it was opening drive, not opening play), and it pretty much set the tone for the rest of the night. It's quite possibly my favorite Clemson game (it's up there at least).

Re: My first ever Clemson game...***

Nov 22, 2016, 8:42 PM

Re: I was 12

Nov 22, 2016, 8:43 PM

Afterward I had a tiger paw shaved in the back of my head. 45-0 on the side, can't believe my parents let me do it

Nov 22, 2016, 8:34 PM

One thing I remember in that game was that Coach Ford said in post game that the Tigers only ran 3 plays (over and over) in second half and even then knowing what was coming they couldn't stop us. The ground game was mesmerizing. There was a 17 play drive in that game that took over 9 minutes off the clock. It was awesome to watch

What I remember about that '89 game

Nov 23, 2016, 9:36 AM

is camping outside of Cooper library to buy student tickets. Each student could purchase up to two tickets while supplies lasted. Got my two and my friend got his two and we headed to our 8:00 classes. When I walked back by the library on my way to lunch, I noticed tickets hadn't sold out yet, so I found another student to buy two more for me. I traded those two with my friend (who had the tickets next to mine) so I could have four together and took my Dad, younger brother, and another friend. We were so jacked-up that morning and we were quite possibly the first people to arrive at WB that day. What do I remember most about that game? I don't specifically remember any big plays, just methodical drive after drive right down the throat of their defense in the most lopsided physical beat-down I've ever witnessed.

One mistake in that story . . .

Nov 23, 2016, 9:45 AM

It said Clemson had not worn Orange Pants since the puntrooskie game, but in fact Clemson wore orange pants earlier in the season in 1989 against NC State - a 30-10 win snapping a three game losing streak to NC State.

there ain't nothing like an old fashioned stomping

Nov 23, 2016, 1:21 PM

a mud hole in a rival... this play when Levon Kirkland and Wayne Simmons crushed the QB shows how demoralized they were, and this was just in the 3rd quarter... this game and 63-17 are my two favorite games of all-time

https://youtu.be/lELyDEET4hY?t=2m42s

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the play picks up at 2:42...***

Nov 23, 2016, 1:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic